Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
laffin at the AAA vidigam developer posting video by filming the screen with a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
in my minds eye im seeing this gaijin dude huddled over his computer, blasting people who dare criticize his game even slightly with a dismissive tone while his coworkers look over his shoulder, see the amount of response he's generated, and go "wow yeah ron good job!!!!"

just in case tho, HDB JP devs:

このゲームは魅力的なゲームだとは思いません。マーケティングディレクターも品があるようには感じません。そのような態度ではユーザーが離れていって当然です。

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
their job postings require english and have japanese as a nice-to-have, it was a decent thought but i don't think it'll work man

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Reiterpallasch posted:

their job postings require english and have japanese as a nice-to-have, it was a decent thought but i don't think it'll work man

man i even double checked i wasn't being super a dick either

oh well

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

sethsez posted:

Instead they showed up with barely nothing and a shitload of attitude. Most intelligent devs at this point would either ditch the community entirely as a lost cause, or, if they're determined to stay, rise above the insults because they're trying to sell themselves to the community, so insulting the community isn't going to achieve anything other than wasting everyone's time. Like... cool HyperDevBox, you called someone a dick. What does that do to progress you toward your goal here at all?

Oh that's an easy one to understand. A quick google search gives the answer that these topics have been the only place to actually pay any attention to the project at all. All of the other forums either completely ignored it or had one guy saying looks bad. Ron was naive enough to fall for the fake compliments in the beginning and now is stuck with the only semblance of a community around the game being a bunch of people trying to explain why it's so bad.

Any attention is better than complete indifference.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

randombattle posted:

Any attention is better than complete indifference.

You can regroup and bounce back from complete indifference with a relaunch six months down the line and nobody will give a poo poo about the previous attempt if the subsequent one is good.

It's a lot harder to bounce back from actively antagonizing the people you're begging to fund you, because even if a relaunch in six months turns out much better you still have the stigma of being petty and argumentative, which aren't traits people want to invest in.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Ron's name appears for
the first time a year before
The French Revolution broke out.

Many devs who returned from work,
had no skills, l i t t l e d o n a t i o n s,
and even less loyalty to the forums.

Many became posters and
shills plotting indie gogo's
For 8 months straight.

At that time shitposting and
juicy screenies were commonplace in HyperDevBox.
Many Mo mo's and
Sticky'd threads came out of there.
And Something Awful was no exception either.

=========================
Chapter 1: THE MEAGER GAME

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i still want to eat lobster and play pathologic

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

close the fuckin thread, mo-mo''s

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
No one explain that post.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

sethsez posted:

I played the ExZeus games when they came out. They were neat for the time but don't demonstrate the ability to handle anything resembling the kind of scope that you're trying to fund here. And while Indy 500 is a pretty cool little 90s Sega racing homage, it also doesn't really scream "potential tactical RPG developer" to anyone.

Given that I've played three of the five games you listed, and enjoyed a couple of the games you ported, and find the French revolution fascinating, and don't have an issue with it being trivialized for the sake of a different story, I'm about as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far. But the extent of your interaction with tactical RPGs up to this point has been porting them, and the extent of your development up to this point (at least from what I've experienced) has been 90s arcade homages. There's nothing that indicates your ability to tackle a project of this scale, nothing that hints at the quality of your writing, nothing that implies you're even capable of making a generic tactical RPG, let alone one with an interesting twist on the format that would inspire me to put down money for this. Hell, why would I even go for this over one of the games you've ported?

You're acting like you've already proven yourself, but you really haven't. That's not to say you can't prove yourself, but you need to show more than you have to prove that you've got a coherent vision for this thing, and an idea for how it's going to play beyond merely stating what genre it falls into. You keep stating that you have reasons you're not along that far yet, which is fine... but that also means it's a really terrible time to start the campaign.

Don't bother man, I tried making very similar points in the last thread and for my troubles I was put on their ignore list.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post467675654

I did laugh when that one guard grabbed the pouch of gold that is literally out of the player's reach on turn 1, though. That was funny!

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

The Crusher posted:

Ron's name appears for

Many became posters and
For 8 months straight.

Many Mo mo's and

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
28 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

31 December 2016 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

3 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

5 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

6 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

7 January 2017 - $802 USD raised by 22 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

8 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

9 January 2017 - $1002 USD raised by 23 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

10 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

11 January 2017 - $1052 USD raised by 24 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

12 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal :siren:

13 January 2017 - $1082 USD raised by 25 backers / 0% of $240,000 fixed goal

Total increase in amount raised between 28 December 2016 to 13 January 2017 - $280

Total increase in number of backers between 28 December 2016 to 13 January 2017 - 3

No. of days left - 16

Shortfall between target and amount raised so far - $238,918.00

Average amount of new funds per day required to meet target - $14,932.38

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

The Crusher posted:

Ron's name appears for

Many became posters and
For 8 months straight.

Many Mo mo's and

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Thermidor - l i t t l e d o n a t i o n s

Mo-mos makes it happen.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

GunnerJ posted:

You know, as far as I can tell, it's possible that the OP has no affiliation with HDB at all. Like this could just be some kind of performance art.

I want to believe but faking the kickstarter page and youtube would be too much. Unless Hyperdevbox as company has nothing to do with the OP and he's just posting their lousy idea on SA for attention and to take credit for it? :tinfoil:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
installing afterburner mxi (free) and vid capping something takes just as much effort if not less than holding your phone to take a vid, then plugging it into your dell pc, drag dropping it somwhere and waiting for the usb 1.0 to xfer it over

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmao if you go to their website on the about page

SOME OF OUR KEY PARTNERS

Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Firestone
Nvidia
Microsoft
Nintendo
Sony
Google
Apple

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kelp Me! posted:

SOME OF OUR KEY PARTNERS

Firestone
Nvidia
Microsoft
Nintendo
Sony
Google
Apple

Big Tire will bail them out and provide the funds for Thermidor JRPG.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Kelp Me! posted:

SOME OF OUR KEY PARTNERS

Firestone
Nvidia
Microsoft
Nintendo
Sony
Google
Apple

I refuse to believe that hyperdevbox are not Key Partners with Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Apple, and Google. :ohdear: I trust hyperD and know they would be nothing but fully honest with us. :yayclod:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the devs have an uncle that works at nintendo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I actually currently work at Google and am genuinely curious in what sense we are supposed to be partners with them.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
"we downloaded the free version of the Android SDK, that makes us key partners right?"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
People are dumb disclaimer: I don't do anything having to do with Android, the store, Play Games, etc right now. I am not privy to anything nonpublic about this mess, and have no decision making power. If I was/did, I wouldn't be posting in this thread. You can be as mean to me as you like and the only thing that will happen is I fume impotently for a bit.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 14, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Leandre and the guard guy seem pretty happy about the whole ordeal. I don't think you'll be able to tween that out of them.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

People are dumb disclaimer: I don't do anything having to do with Android, the store, Play Games, etc right now. I am not privy to anything nonpublic about this mess, and have no decision making power. If I was/did, I wouldn't be posting in this thread. You can be as mean to me as you like and the only thing that will happen is I fine impotently for a bit.

Congrats on getting a job! You're gonna be great!

(That was what you were going for, right?)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
lit shaking with rage rn

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sethsez posted:

You say "we know we can make this game" but that doesn't mean anything if the people you're asking to invest don't know that.
Kickstarter is littered with the graves of game studios who were sure they could pull this off, and turned out to be wrong.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Reiterpallasch posted:

People are dumb disclaimer: I don't do anything having to do with Android, the store, Play Games, etc right now. I am not privy to anything nonpublic about this mess, and have no decision making power. If I was/did, I wouldn't be posting in this thread. You can be as mean to me as you like and the only thing that will happen is I fume impotently for a bit.
No one cares bro

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

I actually currently work at Google and am genuinely curious in what sense we are supposed to be partners with them.

What would the janitor know about key partners

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hey op how is it going? What fun next?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want a virtual snowglobe with a scene of a prisoner being led to the guillotine.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

SOME OF OUR KEY PARTNERS

Firestone
Nvidia
Microsoft
Nintendo
Sony
Google
Apple

Not daytona international speedway? I'm sorry, HDB, I can't trust your ability to make a tactical RPG with this grave affront to SOUTHERN CULTURE.

UNLIKED, UNSHARED, UNSUBSCRIBED

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Reiterpallasch posted:

"we downloaded the free version of the Android SDK, that makes us key partners right?"

I mean, that would "explain" how they think Google is a "partner," but what about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? How...? :psyduck:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

I mean, that would "explain" how they think Google is a "partner," but what about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? How...? :psyduck:

maybe they bought an inch of advertising at the bottom of some flier they hand out when you buy a hotdog or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

disclaimer: i am not responsible for any decisions made by or within the Indanapolis Motor Speedway nor for any hotdog sales therein

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Ask me about Indianapolis Motor Speedway hotdog sales.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

GunnerJ posted:

Well, since they made Indy 500 Arcade Racing, that means they worked together, and that makes them partners!

Clearly.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

hyperdevbox posted:

That guy was fired.

Was he?

hyperdevbox posted:

My full name is Ron,

Oh, no, he was not because he's still you. Do your company a favor and remove yourself from being a PR liaison. You are terrible at it. Oh, and good job not addressing anything I brought up about your conduct, your company or the damage that you, personally, have done to its reputation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sole.Sushi posted:

Was he?

Oh, no, he was not because he's still you. Do your company a favor and remove yourself from being a PR liaison. You are terrible at it. Oh, and good job not addressing anything I brought up about your conduct, your company or the damage that you, personally, have done to its reputation.

you are so ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Reiterpallasch posted:

lol are you really so stupid / sheltered that you think saying "I work at Google (or Apple or Microsoft)" is going to make everyone think you have insider knowledge about everything that goes on there

• Locked thread