Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm watching TNG 2x22 Shades of Grey, and it is just awful. From the title and summary on Netflix I thought it would be about Riker being in a coma, and the crew having to discuss the issues of euthanasia, but nope it's a clip show. I read on wikipedia that the reason for the lovely season finale was they had used the budget up on more expensive episodes, and I appreciate how much Q Who? owned, but I don't think it was worth this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Namaer posted:

I'm watching TNG 2x22 Shades of Grey, and it is just awful. From the title and summary on Netflix I thought it would be about Riker being in a coma, and the crew having to discuss the issues of euthanasia, but nope it's a clip show. I read on wikipedia that the reason for the lovely season finale was they had used the budget up on more expensive episodes, and I appreciate how much Q Who? owned, but I don't think it was worth this.

Yeah that's a deeply shameful episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah if you're gonna skip any episode of any Star Trek, it'd be Shades of Grey. You can at least be assured now that you won't see any more clip shows and TNG gets much better starting in the third season.

Fun fact: the studio asked them to make another clip show in the 4th season but they hated that idea and by then they were a big enough gorilla that they were able to say no.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Pakled posted:

Yeah if you're gonna skip any episode of any Star Trek, it'd be Shades of Grey. You can at least be assured now that you won't see any more clip shows and TNG gets much better starting in the third season.

Fun fact: the studio asked them to make another clip show in the 4th season but they hated that idea and by then they were a big enough gorilla that they were able to say no.

And that's how we ended up with The Drumhead. A good episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How bad do you guys think Into Darkness is? Because I realized it's been a few years and I still think it's the second-worst Trek movie, right behind Nemesis.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How bad do you guys think Into Darkness is? Because I realized it's been a few years and I still think it's the second-worst Trek movie, right behind Nemesis.

It would have been better had they made Cumberbatch Khan's right hand man instead of Khan himself.

Better yet, just have more Nu-Klingons.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pretty much the same, though depending on what day you ask me I sometimes rank it above Insurrection and V just because it's not a low-budget technical eyesore.

Plus I've come to like it semi-ironically as a curiosity since I read it's actually a whacked-out 9/11 truther metaphor.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It was fundamentally dumb as poo poo to do Khan as a bad guy, again. Not only are you retreading old ground, but you're just doing it because Star Trek fans have a fixation for WoK far beyond what it deserves.

The only decent parts of it are Cumberbatch looking weird enough that you can totally buy he was engineered by committee (and I dug his performance when he gets teary-eye about how S31 forced him to work or they'd kill the closest thing he has to a family), and the writers blowing up Section 31 in this timeline early before it can grimdark up an entire series down the line.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Best part of Beyond is that you can watch '09 and skip Into Darkness completely and lose absolutely nothing.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

After my second viewing, I just decided it belongs in the pile of Trek media I'm just not going to watch again.

Edit: I guess that doesn't really answer the question. I rank it in the bottom 3 movies. It's not as bad as a lot of episodes, but I'd pick the episodes over it due to its runtime.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

V is the worst TOS movie, worst TNG movie is a tie between Insurrection and Nemesis, and yeah Into Darkness is easily the worst NuTrek.

It's been a while since I've bothered with V, but generally:

1. Insurrection
2. Nemesis
3. Into Darkness
4. V

It's hard to rate Into Darkness below the bad TNG stuff, because the only extremely horrible part of Into Darkness is the third act, while the rest of it is just diligently mediocre. Although, Cumberbatch as Khan is the definition of focus group-tested casting, and Cumberbatch just utterly fails as the heavy or as Khan.

The TNG stuff is horrible because there's no real evidence they could have done much better. Their highs (First Contact) are still pretty low. I cannot even remember most of Insurrection or Nemesis at this point.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

dont even fink about it posted:

Their highs (First Contact) are still pretty low.

I know we're getting into the territory where we start list-making, but if I'm given all of the Trek movies, First Contact would likely be on top of the pile, if not very close to it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have watched TMP of all things more than I think I've watched Insurrection, Nemesis, Into Darkness, and Final Frontier combined. People like to say TMP is bad but it's just a really drawn out cerebral movie that apes the epicness of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

It's hard to rate Into Darkness below the bad TNG stuff, because the only extremely horrible part of Into Darkness is the third act, while the rest of it is just diligently mediocre. Although, Cumberbatch as Khan is the definition of focus group-tested casting, and Cumberbatch just utterly fails as the heavy or as Khan.

I really didn't like how they decided to retread a bunch of the "Kirk and Spock learn how to trust each other and be friends" stuff.

Hell, now that I think about it, Kirk and Spock didn't really get a huge amount of time together in Beyond, either. What's up with that?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'll forever be unsatisfied because the TNG movies weren't a seven part epic that eventually included DS9 and Voyager characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I really didn't like how they decided to retread a bunch of the "Kirk and Spock learn how to trust each other and be friends" stuff.

Hell, now that I think about it, Kirk and Spock didn't really get a huge amount of time together in Beyond, either. What's up with that?

We already have a lot of Kirk-Spock moments in the franchise as a whole, so I was a big fan of pairing Kirk with Chekov and Spock with Bones in Beyond. It's one of the things Pegg did really well with the script.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CubanMissile posted:

I'll forever be unsatisfied because the TNG movies weren't a seven part epic that eventually included DS9 and Voyager characters.

First contact had worf and the defiant!! DS9! content!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Baronjutter posted:

First contact had worf and the defiant!! DS9! content!

I liked First Contact mostly because I loved the new uniforms and the Akira-class is my favorite. But then the whole Borg queen idea pissed me off. Everything else about it was ok. Sad it's the best one they did. I remember during the entirety of Insurrection I just kept thinking "How could they think anyone would care about this plot?". I don't remember a single thing about that film except for like a cloaked ship thing and the words Briar Patch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure why it's so weird to me that the bad guy in Nemesis was Tom Hardy. Malcolm McDowell in Generations is fine, and F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection is fine. There's nothing weird about that to me. But there's something weird about Tom Hardy being the bad guy in Nemesis. It's nothing to do with his performance, it's just the fact that it was him.

I feel like it's because that was supposed to be his breakout Hollywood role, but then it ended up not working out, so it's got that hanging over it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Maybe it's because he didn't really get famous until well after that movie disappeared from most people's memory, and for me it's because I equate Tom Hardy with good movies.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CubanMissile posted:

Maybe it's because he didn't really get famous until well after that movie disappeared from most people's memory, and for me it's because I equate Tom Hardy with good movies.

Well, except The Dark Knight Rises.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The hell? I haven't seen much S2 til recently, but how did I never see this Irish colony episode? This has to be peak Riker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

The hell? I haven't seen much S2 til recently, but how did I never see this Irish colony episode? This has to be peak Riker.

I think peak Riker is the scene in "In Theory" where Data, having attracted the attention of an infatuated crew member, is discussing what he should do next with the rest of the command staff, and they're all going, "I don't think this is a good idea, Data," or, "If you're going to do this, you need to be very careful, Data," and then it gets to Riker and he's lounging in his chair going, "Well, of course you should pursue her! :riker:"

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Hardly an original thought, but the Khan reveal was so meaningless. Nobody knew who he was! So this notion that he's actually Khan meant nothing to anyone except the audience, who have mostly just heard of him somewhere.

Also Spock yelling Khan. Yeesh that was rough. Also stupid, because Kirk's Khan scream was a misdirection.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also Spock and Khan duking it out on a flying CGI sled. Because Spock is an action hero now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
To be fair, I kinda like how they do the "guys, an angry Vulcan can and will gently caress you up" thing. Dude's in a timeline where circumstances has forced him to be a lot more emotional than he otherwise would be, and if they use that as an excuse to have Spock grab a chunk of spaceship and brain a dude, I'm kinda OK with that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, I kinda like how they do the "guys, an angry Vulcan can and will gently caress you up" thing. Dude's in a timeline where circumstances has forced him to be a lot more emotional than he otherwise would be, and if they use that as an excuse to have Spock grab a chunk of spaceship and brain a dude, I'm kinda OK with that.

It makes sense thinking of it that way, but I just can't get into Zachary Quinto's performance. He's probably the weakest actor of the NuTrek crew. I know he's supposed to be different from Nimoy's Spock, but he doesn't have the same gravitas. He can do a comedic scene just fine, but anything attempting to portray the depth of his character or be serious or heartwarming just falls flat (okay, aside from the last scene in Beyond, but that's cheating by getting meta :colbert:)

Thinking about it, that's another thing Beyond has over Into Darkness. ID focuses extremely heavily on Kirk/Spock/Uhura, and the Spock part really disappoints. Beyond gives everyone a lot to do.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I was disappointed by Into Darkness because I really wanted Cumberbatch to be Gary Mitchell. (That was a theory for a while) For me, Trek is best when Kirk shoots lasers at a God.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
These are all excellent points, but let's not forget the whole magic blood element of that mess of a movie.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

Hardly an original thought, but the Khan reveal was so meaningless. Nobody knew who he was! So this notion that he's actually Khan meant nothing to anyone except the audience, who have mostly just heard of him somewhere.
Which didn't make any sense because in the original series Khan was still common knowledge, and everyone knew who he was at first sight even centuries later. Like a Napoleon or, well, Genghis Khan. Apparently in the NuTrek universe everyone is much less well educated, since no one remembered this world-conquering dictator even after hearing his name.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Everything about Into Darkness was bad, and I'm glad the Trek thread doesn't have that many apologists for it anymore. I say this as someone who enjoyed '09.

Like the prologue was fun I guess? And the score was alright? I don't even remember if Karl Urban got to do anything cool. The whole movie was trash. I only saw it once in the theater and the movie lost me like a half hour in. I know for many others it took a rewatch to realize how awful it was.

I'll concede that Nemesis was worse and certainly more infuriating for Trek fans. But I'm relative Star Trek newb, only getting into the series after college. Into Darkness pretty much embodied everything that was wrong about modern commercial cinema but way worse. You know... dumb movies pretending that they're smart. It didn't help just how cynical the whitewashing was. (Paramount literally lied about BC playing Khan to silence all the "is this whitewashing?" thinkpieces.)

Beyond ruled. Justin Lin rules.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You were doing okay until your final sentence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Into Darkness was an excellent ten-minute movie, but don't stick around for the two-hour credits scene.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pakled posted:

It makes sense thinking of it that way, but I just can't get into Zachary Quinto's performance. He's probably the weakest actor of the NuTrek crew. I know he's supposed to be different from Nimoy's Spock, but he doesn't have the same gravitas. He can do a comedic scene just fine, but anything attempting to portray the depth of his character or be serious or heartwarming just falls flat (okay, aside from the last scene in Beyond, but that's cheating by getting meta :colbert:)

Thinking about it, that's another thing Beyond has over Into Darkness. ID focuses extremely heavily on Kirk/Spock/Uhura, and the Spock part really disappoints. Beyond gives everyone a lot to do.

Gravitas is exactly what Quintospock is completely lacking. Nimoy Spock immediately strikes one as a serious, conflicted man. Quintospock is a whiny man child who speaks an octave higher.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

ID lost me at cold fusion bomb = ice. Which is naturally, at the very beginning.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Knormal posted:

Which didn't make any sense because in the original series Khan was still common knowledge, and everyone knew who he was at first sight even centuries later. Like a Napoleon or, well, Genghis Khan. Apparently in the NuTrek universe everyone is much less well educated, since no one remembered this world-conquering dictator even after hearing his name.

I'm going to be honest and say that the way Khan was introduced in "Space Seed" makes almost no sense at all. This infamous character is apparently unrecognizable despite the fact that everyone knows something about him and some even admire him while virtually every other historical figure in TOS is recognized upon sight. The crew (well, besides the historian) only figures out who he is because Kirk baits him into a furious tirade.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

According to Space Seed, Khan was one of a bunch of supermen conquerors. He was no more infamous than all of the others, aside from that he was the last of them to be overthrown. You would've learned about him in hisotry, but alongside a bunch of other names - he wasn't a singular focus of a figure like Hitler, for example. And Khan's was a common enough name that he introduced himself as it and that didn't set off any alarm bells. It was his behavior and timeframe making them go searching through the supermen photo archives.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's not like he had some trademark nazi mustache. I know Pol Pot was a genocidal maniac but if I ran into him on the street I would't know who he was.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Given the admittedly generous characterization of Star Fleet officers' education, it seems pretty unlikely that no one would have vaguely recognized him especially when they knew his name. The failure to do was purely for the sake of plot convenience.

Basically, the whole Khan backstory, much like most of the late twentieth century "history" makes very little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Make Cumberbatch be absolutely anything besides Khan. Get rid of the "Bush did 9/11" bullshit. It could have been a good movie.