Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

I love Refn and I think he does what he does well. Argento is a top 3 all time for me and he throws color everywhere, unlike the dull blue hue you'd get in Underworld or whatever.

You gotta know what you're doing is all. Garish is awesome if it fits, not if its just done artlessly for a visual.

My ideal look for a film, if I were making it, would be the hazy Ektachrome reversal look that Eyes Wide Shut has. Use practical lighting, but with vibrant colors, blown out whites, and a thick haze of film grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My favorite filmmaking detail for Eyes Wide Shut was that Kubrick had big boards of wood with tons and tons of Christmas lights on them, which acted as actual lighting in a couple scenes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite filmmaking detail for Eyes Wide Shut was that Kubrick had big boards of wood with tons and tons of Christmas lights on them, which acted as actual lighting in a couple scenes.

That actually makes sense since it's a perfect way to get diffused lighting without fancy equipment.

The jazz club lighting is just... wow.

(also, that's Kubrick sitting over to the left)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They Shoot Horses Don't They is incredible.

It's soooooooo bitter and just a bit surreal near the end.

Plus, Grandpa Munster!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Those derby scenes are heartstopping (YOWZA YOWZA YOWZA). I still wish he'd dropped the gun in the water to underline the very real despondency a person feels when considering suicide, or just refused, the flashforwards don't really add anything anyways.

Egbert Souse posted:

That actually makes sense since it's a perfect way to get diffused lighting without fancy equipment.

The jazz club lighting is just... wow.

(also, that's Kubrick sitting over to the left)

Christ, in the seventy times I've seen this movie I've never noticed that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress everybody go see Underworld: Blood Wars

That was the stupidest god damned movie I have ever seen and it was loving incredible

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The scene someone mentioned a while back where two dudes shoot each other a bunch and then yell so hard the bullets fly out of them is actually in the movie. It's also nowhere near the most hilarious thing that happens in the movie. It is not a good movie, but it is easily the most fun I have had seeing a movie in a very long time.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The scene someone mentioned a while back where two dudes shoot each other a bunch and then yell so hard the bullets fly out of them is actually in the movie. It's also nowhere near the most hilarious thing that happens in the movie. It is not a good movie, but it is easily the most fun I have had seeing a movie in a very long time.

It's absolutely incredible, and it's also the most PG-13 horny movie I've seen in a while.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay, got my script down to 150. Uh, send me emails I guess if you want it to read it, celticpredator@ymail.com

Even if I've sent you the script before, this one is a lil different. Honestly, I just want someone else to tell me what isn't important so I can shave that last bit of 30 page fat from my script (or more!)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not going to see any Underworld movies until they stop saying Lycans.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Never seen an Underworld, kinda wanna see this one on $5 Tuesdays just to see how nonsensical it is.

Life update: had a movie night with the lady friend. She showed me Creep (which I really liked) and I showed her The Thing...she jumped about a foot in the air at the blood test scene, it was GREAT

Edit: we also decided that there should be a sequel where Mac and Childs go full brokeback

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 14, 2017

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Coffee And Pie posted:

Edit: we also decided that there should be a sequel where Mac and Childs go full brokeback

Sold!

I used to work with a guy who would repeatedly boast that the best films ever according to him and his girlfriend were Underworld and Pitch Black. They'd get all incredulous and sneery when folks (me) would disagree.

Obviously, they were middle class goths.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
But did they like The Crow?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Okay, got my script down to 150. Uh, send me emails I guess if you want it to read it, celticpredator@ymail.com

Even if I've sent you the script before, this one is a lil different. Honestly, I just want someone else to tell me what isn't important so I can shave that last bit of 30 page fat from my script (or more!)

I'll give it a look but my phone is being wonky with email - shoot it to tbrechlin at gmail.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That reminds me, did anyone else see Tale of Tales?

It was one of my favorite movies that I watched last year. It was a beautiful movie, and the stories were wonderful.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Glamorama26 posted:

But did they like The Crow?

Extrapolating wildly: probably a bit before their time, too grungy for their sensibilities, or too VHS & not sufficiently DVD.

At a later job, I worked with a hardcore cyber-goth, for whom the cultural universe was defined by The Matrix.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

What a couple of failures then.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I know, right?

I'd be the one all incredulous, "what you really haven't seen any Jörg Buttgereit flicks?"

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ynohtna posted:

Extrapolating wildly: probably a bit before their time, too grungy for their sensibilities, or too VHS & not sufficiently DVD.

At a later job, I worked with a hardcore cyber-goth, for whom the cultural universe was defined by The Matrix.

I was at an apartment shared by a 30-something goth lady last night, and her VHS collection was like the 90s essential milieu. Everything was there: Twister, American History X, Fight Club, the Star Wars special editions, The Crow, Dumb and Dumber, Braveheart (two tapes!), even some interesting late-period tapes like Fellowship of the Ring and The Matrix. It was like looking at a Blockbuster Video from 1999, everything was there.

My friend was telling me that this woman is apparently really into the movie "Mask," and thinks it has "a lot of deep messages that we could all stand to learn from". Mask is apparently a drama starring Cher, but I spent most of the night under the impression that Jim Carrey's The Mask really resonated with her.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Worst fuckin goths ever, i demand their rank and contact info

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Writing script for dystopian movie where there's a 90s goth paramilitary outfit acting as law enforcement in a run down Seattle.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Its straight up stolen valor imo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Anonymous Robot posted:

My friend was telling me that this woman is apparently really into the movie "Mask," and thinks it has "a lot of deep messages that we could all stand to learn from". Mask is apparently a drama starring Cher, but I spent most of the night under the impression that Jim Carrey's The Mask really resonated with her.

Bogdonavich, Cher, Eric Roberts, Laura Dern, Sam Elliot. It's one of my mom's favorite movies.
If you ever see her again tell her a 68 year old crunchy hippie loves her favorite movie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I was never particularly gothy, but I enjoy an occasional Manson song and can assure you that from attending some late 90s shows of his, they can't possibly be the worst goths ever cuz holy poo poo, those crowds.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Its straight up stolen valor imo

I heard this term for the first time a week ago and now this is like the fourth time it's been brought up since then.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Manson has some terrible fans, as does NIN, but then he also had those 2 young women from the Dead to the World tour that carved his name into their arms with razors. I salute their service.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The crown jewel of my VHS collection is a sealed copy of titanic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Never seen an Underworld, kinda wanna see this one on $5 Tuesdays just to see how nonsensical it is.

Life update: had a movie night with the lady friend. She showed me Creep (which I really liked) and I showed her The Thing...she jumped about a foot in the air at the blood test scene, it was GREAT

So you were about to creep and then you showed her your thing which made her jump?

Coffee And Pie posted:

The crown jewel of my VHS collection is a sealed copy of titanic.

I think I might have told this story but I will again because it's hilarious what an rear end in a top hat my friend is. Anyway!

Every year my friend gets me a Christmas gift and it's always something really cool and/or very thoughtful. So one year he comes to my house and gives me a good sized box very nicely wrapped. So when I opened it the box was stuffed and in the middle was a smaller thing wrapped in gold paper. I unwrapped that and it turned out to be a double VHS Oscar screener of Pearl Harbor.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 14, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Manson has some terrible fans, as does NIN, but then he also had those 2 young women from the Dead to the World tour that carved his name into their arms with razors. I salute their service.

I was 15 when I went to my first Manson show and the line to get in is the worst thing I was ever apart of.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Glamorama26 posted:

I was 15 when I went to my first Manson show and the line to get in is the worst thing I was ever apart of.

Scale of one to ten how bad did it smell? One represents the inside of an over stuffed trash can in August and ten represents the room where people play Magic: the Gathering in a comic book store.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

One of the worst things ive ever witnessed at a concert was at this NIN show in Chicago where, when they started playing Closer, this like 35 year old frat bro and his gf started grinding and licking each other in front of me.

Besides that, it was a dope show cause i got to see my favorite guitarist at the time, Aaron North, play in one of my fav bands (plus i was on the guestlist cause my buddy interned for Buddyhead).

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Scale of one to ten how bad did it smell? One represents the inside of an over stuffed trash can in August and ten represents the room where people play Magic: the Gathering in a comic book store.

Solid 8. It smelled like clothes that have gotten wet and not been dried properly. Shockingly small amount of weed smell somehow.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Glamorama26 posted:

I never went to a Manson show but I did go to Ozfest where he played and I've rarely seen such a divided crowd. All the old burn outs like my dad who went hated Manson and talked poo poo about all the goth kids milling about. It was an odd experience.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
General q: what movies did you all love as a kid that weren't "kid's" movies? I saw a used copy of Frida at the bookstore the other day and it reminded me of when I used to watch it over and over in sixth grade for some reason.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

General q: what movies did you all love as a kid that weren't "kid's" movies? I saw a used copy of Frida at the bookstore the other day and it reminded me of when I used to watch it over and over in sixth grade for some reason.

Saw way too many horror movies before I started middle school. Turned out okay ish

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

We had Antz on VHS somehow and it turns out kids are stupid enough to ignore the fact that a Woody Allen movie is a Woody Allen movie when it has talking bugs just like A Bug's Life.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Manson occupies that no-man zone between horrible shithead music on one side and more objectively just better music on the other. He's always toured with lovely bands (minus Slayer and NIN) and seems to either not give a poo poo about who he plays with or he himself has horrible personal taste in music.

Then you have Reznor, who seems to just bring on tour whoever he's really into at the time and they're not bands your typical NIN fan likes. I saw QOTSA, fuckin Autolux, Peaches, TV on the Radio, and Bauhaus open for NIN (when i saw him in Chicago the Dresden Dolls opened tho and that was terrible). Its like how Kurt Cobain felt this responsibility to bring bands on tour with him that he personally loved and had no obligation to cater to the lovely tastes of most Nirvana fans.

I cant imagine your typical Ozzfest concert goer being into a pasty dude prancing around in a corset on stage while singing pretty feminine lyrics. There were a lot of people in my small little town that were sure that I had to be gay because I really loved Mechanical Animals when it came out (still do).

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I loved (and feared) Jaws. Not much has changed really.

• Locked thread