Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Out of curiosity, if you order to charge a unit but another unit that you didn't attack gets in-between your unit and the target, does the charge bonus still apply when they connect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammanas posted:

Yeah a lot of the mechanics are hidden, relying on player intuition and experience

Even something as simple as what units are large and what arent

The tooltip says at least as big as a horse, is there more to it?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fauxtool posted:

The tooltip says at least as big as a horse, is there more to it?

I think it's as simple as cavalry/monsters, it's just that you could argue wolf riders and squigs are smaller than horses.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Are biguns as big as a horse? They're certainly big but I doubt the game counts them as large

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i make the game autosave more than just the last turn?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like in the campaign the regiments of renown should have a 3-5ish turn cooldown between being able to hire them again after they die or get disbanded.

They make the campaign a bit easy for the player and main npc factions being able to instantly hire elite troops, if you got the money you could have a regiment fight in the badlands, disband them, then have them fight in norsca the same turn under another lord and then bring them back to the badlands in the same turn.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 14, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it just me or are Dwarfs way overfavored in autoresolve? I just spent the past couple battles kicking their teeth uncontested while the autoresolve had it at about 60/40 in my favor.

Edit: Playing VC btw

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like in the campaign the regiments of renown should have a 3-5ish turn cooldown between being able to hire them again after they die or get disbanded.

They make the campaign a bit easy for the player and main npc factions being able to instantly hire elite troops, if you got the money you could have a regiment fight in the badlands, disband them, then have them fight in norsca the same turn under another lord and then bring them back to the badlands in the same turn.

There is a random cooldown if they get wiped out in battle. Applying that to disbanding them would probably be a good idea.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am getting owned left and right as the Empire, please help

Not fair that I outright murdered a beastmen army and then it shows up again and does a bullshit raze in my recently conquered settlement :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh poo poo so I haven't played since before the elfs came out

are these new beastmen harpies and new beastman lord good or what and what do the elves play like

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

are these new beastmen harpies and new beastman lord good or what and what do the elves play like

I don't know how effective the harpies are, the new beastman lord is a literal beast who can solo armies by himself and summon chaos spawn up to 4 times in a fight and in the campaign can get 0 upkeep chaos spawn armies.

The wood elves play like assholes.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The only thing bad about the new beastman lord is that your upkeep for minotaurs goes up.

CA, please add a Doombull lord ASAP!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is the minotaur upkeep increase faction wide or just in his army?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How many wizards is the right number?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Are biguns as big as a horse? They're certainly big but I doubt the game counts them as large

I was trying to come up with some sort of way to articulate whats large and what isn't for new players but theres too many qualifiers you've got to bolt on. Its large IF its a guy (or goblin) on a horse (Or wolf/spider/murderbird), or IF its about as big as a troll (How big is a troll?) and in a unit of 4-12 models (What about aspiring champions?) OR if its a big stompy monster (This one is easy, at least.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arglebargle III posted:

How many wizards is the right number?

One, maybe 2 if you can handle the micro with everything else going on. There's only so much power in your Winds pool and it's usually a bigger deal to land a great charge than a great spell.

Vampires are the exception because they're tough as hell as well as being casters.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Carcer posted:

I was trying to come up with some sort of way to articulate whats large and what isn't for new players but theres too many qualifiers you've got to bolt on. Its large IF its a guy (or goblin) on a horse (Or wolf/spider/murderbird), or IF its about as big as a troll (How big is a troll?) and in a unit of 4-12 models (What about aspiring champions?) OR if its a big stompy monster (This one is easy, at least.)
The way I see it, any sort of cavalry, chariot (or carts for VC), heroes on mounts, and monsters (including Squigs) are large. Infantry is anything that's human-sized or smaller, or heroes on foot (including Gorebulls, who are big buggers but are not monstrous).

Also, Aspiring Champions are not considered large. Their unit size is small but they're basically a unit of wannabe Exalted Heroes.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I understand all of that, its communicating it to new players that's the problem.

Gorebulls certainly are monstrous, and should count as large just as minotaurs do. 5 minutes googling shows some confusion on the matter but unless somethings changed recently then Gorebulls count as large for some stuff (Bonus vs large affects them.) but not others (They can hide in forests like human sized infantry.).

The game itself defines Large as anything as big or bigger than a horse, which breaks down on closer inspection.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is the minotaur upkeep increase faction wide or just in his army?

Factionwide, and Gorebulls don't have increased upkeep.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Elf units all pretty much are really strong but have no armor/staying power except their tree buddies, who are rock hard but have no damage output. Also zip for artillery. They have access to Beast, Life and Shadow which are three of the best magic lores right now so they have good Wizards too.

They have a pretty versatile roster in practice and are a lot of fun to play but in campaign the amber limitations restrict you heavily to either using elves or monsters in your army, and their late game army/tech bonuses are so powerful that they basically become invincible at that stage, even more so since their win conditions allow you to effectively beat the campaign instantly just by allying with Dwarves.

That said, their early to mid campaign play is a lot more engaging and you can always give yourself fun objectives instead of going for the easy win. As for the LLs, Durthu is a fan favorite everywhere for good reason, he can basically solo armies by himself but I personally enjoy using Orien a lot, he's really flexible with his speed and strong melee/ranged and lots of cooldown abilities, he's just fun to micro and turns into a beast at higher levels. Also I just think the elf units are more fun to dick around with than the tree units mostly.

As for the new beastmen stuff, Harpies are a good roster addition but nothing mindblowing, they're pretty much on the level of Varghiests as reliable but not crazy flying infantry. Morghur OTOH is easily the best the Beastmen lord in both Single Player and MP, his only downside is being largely priced out of Minotaurs, which are still the best Beastmen unit.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I just love that while everyone else is throwing everything they got to stop Chaos, those pointy eared bastards are just running around burning everyone's settlements, except the goblins, probably because they are honourary pointy eared bastards.

Fight Chaos and the end of the world? No, we have to put purity first, and cleanse everyone who don't adhere to our manifesto.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Wood Elves are the communists/ISIS of Warhammer.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If Wood Elves are so hated then I can't wait to see how Dark and High Elves factor into the game's balance :q:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Not having played the board game, is my view of highelves as empire with lower unit sizes and magic instead of artillery an accurate estimation?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Not having played the board game, is my view of highelves as empire with lower unit sizes and magic instead of artillery an accurate estimation?

Not too far off really.

Take the empire roster. Make faster, more skilled and with more magic. Remove gunpowder and add more cost.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also every single one of their units has a special rule.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Dark elf are gonna be such dicks, can't wait. rear end in a top hat elves are the best thing for the campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so what are good starting strategies for the elf campaign?

It's weird not having an obvious first "attack these people" target.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Attack the other Elves, like a man elf!

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Play as Durthu and make an angry all tree army and remove the elf scum from your forest. And then go gently caress up the Varg and Skaeling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Play as Durthu and make an angry all tree army and remove the elf scum from your forest. And then go gently caress up the Varg and Skaeling.

What if I want to play pretty tree boi? Same thing?

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

You can either attack the other elves or as I prefer just clear out the mountain range for amber and help angrund out until you have enough amber to upgrade the oak and then just confederate the rest of the elves.

If you just get into the mindset of playing murder hobo elves you can't really go wrong, just build up a stack and lvl up Orion and nothing can stop you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

You really want at least one of the other elf territories. The other two might be able to wait until you can confederate them, but taking one of them effectively doubles your available income. Trusting allies for amber can be dangerous unless they're the "main" faction because Angrund might be your ally gifting you 15 amber, but that won't mean poo poo if the dwarves confederate with them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

LordAbaddon posted:

Is it just me or are Dwarfs way overfavored in autoresolve? I just spent the past couple battles kicking their teeth uncontested while the autoresolve had it at about 60/40 in my favor.

Edit: Playing VC btw

The autoresolve seems to just kind of simulate mashing the two armies into each other and call it good without considering stuff like maneuver. Dwarf units are universally massively tough and brave so in a fight where two sides are simply ramming face into each other with no tactics involved they're really loving powerful.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

All tree bois are pretty, silly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

You really want at least one of the other elf territories. The other two might be able to wait until you can confederate them, but taking one of them effectively doubles your available income. Trusting allies for amber can be dangerous unless they're the "main" faction because Angrund might be your ally gifting you 15 amber, but that won't mean poo poo if the dwarves confederate with them.

OK. I think I might just be rusty but it seems like the other elf factions start out with massive armies and seem harder to "catch out" of their cities.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
You really have to declare war on them and then put your own army in ambush stance between their city and yours. It's the only reliable way to bait them out

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pendent posted:

You really have to declare war on them and then put your own army in ambush stance between their city and yours. It's the only reliable way to bait them out

ok that makes sense, thanks

What units should I prioritize? Dryads seem like an obvious first build then what?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dryads kind of suck IMO. I like Eternal Guard, Glade Guard, and Wild Riders personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

ZigZag posted:

Dark elf are gonna be such dicks, can't wait. rear end in a top hat elves are the best thing for the campaign.

So indistinguishable from the other elf factions. :v:

• Locked thread