Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Miike's Dead or Alive has a pretty huge swerve at the end where what has been a pretty taut gangster versus cop movie turns into, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNdJ7aC6Is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

marshmallow creep posted:

Miike's Dead or Alive has a pretty huge swerve at the end where what has been a pretty taut gangster versus cop movie turns into, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNdJ7aC6Is

Dead or Alive 2 & 3 pull similar stunts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

And More posted:

Having watched that film recently, it's pretty obvious from the start that something bad is going to happen. You're really just waiting for the other shoe to drop. (I guess it does get more psychedelic than you'd expect, but that's more of a gradual thing.)

Yeah, Audition is all about the tension, not the twist.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

supergreatfriend posted:

P.50 - The Buster!

:catstare: What the gently caress was that thing!?!? that sea horse shrimp thing??! Is that the alien god?? I thought SGF was keepin' on saying "alien god" to have fun with people like me who've been holding a torch for it to actually be aliens but was expecting it to just be an easter egg at best--is that what this ending is? Or is that the actual "alien god"? don't... like Japanese people view sea horses as like, baby dragon... gods... or something? Still, I guess it makes sense. A small American town gets Baphomet. A small Japanese town gets... whatever the gently caress this is.

And just how.... Surprised and teeth-chatteringly afraid Kei was but Tamon was just like "poo poo we're too late" like he knows exactly what's going on. My photoshop seems more and more accurate every episode

Why did Hisako point Ayako on fire and say "that's the last one now we don't need any more...." wait. wait, Are the Kajiros the fish. The fish from archive. But man even though something's happened with Ayako finally I still don't feel any closer to understand the sister confrontation. I mean, Jun seems most into this cult after Hisako but he seemed pretty horrified his fiancee was also burned alive. :v:

It's weird that Harumi's mission takes place like 15 minutes after god is summoned. Honestly it seems weird any actual missions take place on day three if that's when god is summoned. At zero o'clock, day 3. 3. again. Not to mention the not-mana-stone but still bloody triangular alter for Miayako to be burned on.

I dunno, Kyoya's action hero freakout didn't seem funny or jarring. Seemed like a 'bad end' in the sense of it being days later after god was summoned and Kyoya's gone full crazy stuck in whatever time dilation dimension netherworld hell where the shibito are still shibito'in. (Like they are even after their beloved god appeared, they're still hammerin' and patroling like nothing's changed.) So now the rest of the game is going to be preventing that or whatever. I have no idea how things get worse from summoning this weirdo thing but we already know they do from the fuckin' red water flood so :munch:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

E-flat posted:

Why did Hisako point Ayako on fire and say "that's the last one now we don't need any more...."

Well these rituals seem to require the Kajiro daughters as sacrifices and if they finally succeeded, then they don't need any more? And I guess Hisako's really evil and decides if Ayako isn't needed for the ritual, eh why even let her live?

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Looks like grandalt was right, the way to kill them is Fire.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.51 - Webmaster SHIBITO

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
That is a pretty terrible second objective.

Also I have no idea if the typos on the website at the end are done intentionally to simulate the slap-dash nature of a one-man amateur site or if it's just that whoever did the translation was lazy, but either way I love it. :allears:

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 16, 2017

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Shoeless posted:

That is a pretty terrible second objective.

Also I have no idea if the typos on the website at the end are done intentionally to simulate the slap-dash nature of a one-man amateur site or if it's just that whoever did the translation was lazy, but either way I love it. :allears:

It is an annoying secondary objective
But it kind of makes sense
if she is not seen, she does not figure out she is turning

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Shibito Webmaster posted:

One disturbed young man, carrying a Japanese sword and several guns,
slaughtered the 33 villagers one by one.

So uh, would you say we know of anyone that went Katana at the ready and guns blazing on a slaughter spree? Maybe?

Probably not, right?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This secondary objective absolutely makes sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I would've liked it if we had a different scene of Tomoko maybe, but yeah it makes sense both in gameplay and in story in my opinion

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm late to reply back to the end of part 50 (sorry) but Jesus Christ what an ending, bloody beautiful. The cool part is as the credits rolled and I thought about everything we've seen so far I was like "That's not too far fetched in this universe though".

But yeah thread pick up your game and stop being unfunny killjoys.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
It makes sense, but that doesn't mean it's fun/engaging to do. That's why I said it was terrible.

HenryEx posted:

So uh, would you say we know of anyone that went Katana at the ready and guns blazing on a slaughter spree? Maybe?

If I remember right, that's actually based on a real case of a guy going on a murder spree in the early 20th century in Japan. Can't find the article on it though.

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

Shoeless posted:

It makes sense, but that doesn't mean it's fun/engaging to do. That's why I said it was terrible.

If I remember right, that's actually based on a real case of a guy going on a murder spree in the early 20th century in Japan. Can't find the article on it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuyama_massacre

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Nice you saw the Tsuchinoko. But don't eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLTJYxfljDs

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That was the tsuchinoko we saw when we drained the bathtub in the house earlier? With the whole insect motif the evolved shibito have going on, I just assumed that thing was some kind of a horrible giant larva. :gonk:

edit: someone more talented than me should totally draw fanart of Webmaster Shibito

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 16, 2017

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So the buildings that were destroyed/vanished in the 1976 landslide were built on land that used to be part of xx village, and was later incorparated into Hanuda?

I'm curious to see if the tsuchinoko is a plot point, or if one was just hanging out and accidentally got pulled into another dimension.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

OldMemes posted:

So the buildings that were destroyed/vanished in the 1976 landslide were built on land that used to be part of xx village, and was later incorparated into Hanuda?

I'm curious to see if the tsuchinoko is a plot point, or if one was just hanging out and accidentally got pulled into another dimension.

Tsuchinoko is the secret hero of this story

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.52 - We Should Split Up

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I really like how this area overlaps with the last one, it's some pretty cool area design.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Shoeless posted:

Well these rituals seem to require the Kajiro daughters as sacrifices and if they finally succeeded, then they don't need any more? And I guess Hisako's really evil and decides if Ayako isn't needed for the ritual, eh why even let her live?

Yeah just... seems a little presumptuous on her part. I'm guessing the Kajiro have girls and one a generation that's born blind is the sacrifice (which and who they keep secret), so Hisako's really putting all her eggs in one basket. fish. fish basket. It's weird we've never seen "The Kajiros," just the older daughter, the fiance they got her to keep the family going, and the sacrificial lamb.

Also, jesus, Tamon, decide: are y'all too late, or not, already?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

E-flat posted:

Yeah just... seems a little presumptuous on her part. I'm guessing the Kajiro have girls and one a generation that's born blind is the sacrifice (which and who they keep secret), so Hisako's really putting all her eggs in one basket. fish. fish basket. It's weird we've never seen "The Kajiros," just the older daughter, the fiance they got her to keep the family going, and the sacrificial lamb.

Also, jesus, Tamon, decide: are y'all too late, or not, already?

Oh yeah, it's a bit weird, but on the other hand the fish god is here so I guess they really don't need another Kajiro girl. Really hosed up of Hisako to just outright murder her, but pretty much everything that's happened in the game is really hosed up so :shrug:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Ehm, what happened to Yoriko? I expected Tamon would at least mention her... but he just says that it's everyone for himself now.

Also, why is Kyoya looking for Miyako? Didn't he just witness her being burned to a crisp?

And I may be overthinking this (I am speculating based on SGF's comment when Kyoya picks up the rifle), but if everything loops forever.... is it possible one character (Kyoya) could be the younger version of another (Akira)? I mean we know the nun stays forever young... but the rest would age normally...

I may however have got it all mixed up and confused about the story and what's happening in the game anymore.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Did that one mission where Kei was walking around outside armed to the teeth happen before or after this mission, timeline-wise?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Ehm, what happened to Yoriko? I expected Tamon would at least mention her... but he just says that it's everyone for himself now.

Also, why is Kyoya looking for Miyako? Didn't he just witness her being burned to a crisp?

And I may be overthinking this (I am speculating based on SGF's comment when Kyoya picks up the rifle), but if everything loops forever.... is it possible one character (Kyoya) could be the younger version of another (Akira)? I mean we know the nun stays forever young... but the rest would age normally...

I may however have got it all mixed up and confused about the story and what's happening in the game anymore.

you might be confusing it with the remake where that is a plot point

Also tamon is... weird
By this point its easy to believe he might be slightly unhinged if not desperate

As for kyoya, id say its good old denial, maybe mixed with some paranormal stuff

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

placid saviour posted:

Did that one mission where Kei was walking around outside armed to the teeth happen before or after this mission, timeline-wise?

After

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I do like how the attraction Miyako had with Kyoya was based on him being so doofy that he literally sees the world as a pleasent Saturday morning cartoon. At best, looking through the eyes of a villager is boring or, worse, seeing nothing but crazy space fish gods. It's nice.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Notice how the phone number is XX-4216? Looks like that XX village stuff on Webmaster SHIBITO's site might have had something to it. If the mysterious disappearing village has some organizational prefix of XX, and that's appearing now, maybe we've found out where the village disappeared to?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

AbstractNapper posted:

He found Mina playing with her glasses, and since we know Mina isn't doing too well, he's probably jumped to the conclusion that Mina got to Yorkio first.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

OldMemes posted:

He found Mina playing with her glasses, and since we know Mina isn't doing too well, he's probably jumped to the conclusion that Mina got to Yorkio first.

Yoriko and Tamon were both at the scene when the sea horse God was summoned. He knows that she is alive. Or at least the she was at that moment.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

AbstractNapper posted:

Yoriko and Tamon were both at the scene when the sea horse God was summoned. He knows that she is alive. Or at least the she was at that moment.

Tamon is kind of a dick, is the thing. Woulda thought Kyoya might have mentioned her though.

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 20, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This is probably a random comment, but only noticed in the latest videos that I find it disturbing when the characters are talking and looking to the side as far as their pupils can go. Tamon does it when talking to Kyoya in the last video, and Hisako did it also when summoning the fish god.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
There isn't a thread for this but I get ridiculously happy when I see another video for The Witness.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

vortmax posted:

There isn't a thread for this but I get ridiculously happy when I see another video for The Witness.

And then inevitably really cranky. Sgf playing the witness is like the inverse competence of sgf playing siren.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yet really entertaining. Testament to SGF

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.53 - Exit The Stage

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

And then inevitably really cranky. Sgf playing the witness is like the inverse competence of sgf playing siren.

Oh no :( But there were two lasers in the video. there were 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That puzzle game actually looks pretty alright.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

supergreatfriend posted:

Oh no :( But there were two lasers in the video. there were 2

It's not about the lasers, it's about trying to do something obviously wrong repeatedly or walking right by/over the solution to a problem ever. At least by reading the comments on the videos you eventually get to things that mystified you in previous videos but in the moment all the outside observer feels is :argh: Pay it no mind, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
All those outside observers are lucky their many many brainfart moments (in, say, a blind first playthrough of an intensely obtuse and unintuitive puzzle game) aren't captured on - barely edited - tape forever so they can just silently forget about them later. And also that they - without a gigantic audience eager to instantly point out every detail - never realize how much obvious poo poo they missed or walked past dozens of times in the first place.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread