Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Why the gently caress do people seemingly avoid caps? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
that is where the metal fishes come from. They'll die there.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Nobody wants to get focused or eat torps and be the first to die, but for many of them that equates to not taking ANY damage. I've literally seen 1 DD be able to hold an entire team outside of the cap in an actual arc around it. The unfortunate part was it was my team. It was a T10 game with me in a Bis and my whole team had all rumbled right up to the same cap instead of spreading out, but hadn't gotten there fast enough and enemy had all 3 points capped. I tried to push in and make something happen but the rest of my team wasn't having any of it and just sat there getting shot while doing nothing of any consequence in return. Ended up being a heavily-lopsided points loss.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Weekends in Asia and NA are somewhat night and day. On Asia, everyone charges in and dies immediately, but on NA everyone doubles the sniper battleship play.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

Weekends in Asia and NA are somewhat night and day. On Asia, everyone charges in and dies immediately, but on NA everyone doubles the sniper battleship play.

I don't know. So far in like 10 battles today I've seen mostly cruisers. Game with the most BBs had 3 per side. A lot of pushing and aggressive cruiser players, too. Very strange.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Handsome Ralph posted:

Had a Tirpitz game the other night where I rolled in hard to support a friendly DD who was heading towards the cap but instead of going in, he 180'd next to the cap circle and ran back to spawn. I died.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I have concluded that the people who told me the Bismarck is good are full of poo poo. It's an unmaneuverable whale that gets dropped into T10 battles constantly, where it's guns can't do much to the big ships.

Small sample size and all, but I'm doing considerably more average damage than other T8 bbs so far:

And all I've unlocked so far is the hull (yeah, the stock hull rudder is really poo poo).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I wanted to clear off a campaign task from the T8+ ones so I have room for more Convoy tasks. All I need to do is get 2 more wins in a T8+ ship. 7 straight losses between my Atago, Benson and Lo Yang.

Guess I'm done for awhile.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Vorkosigan posted:

Working on Japanese Destroyer Captain as well, agreed it's a great book. A little drier than the US stuff, but that's a translation issue. Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Tech of the IJN 1887-1941 is a good primer for that, as well.

Japanese Destroyer Captain especially, but also Last Stand are both fantastic.

There are two versions of Kaigun on Google Play Books... A cheap one and an expensive one. The only difference is the cheap one is literally scanned pages, while the expensive one allows zoom. Dammit Google!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Handsome Ralph posted:

Passive gameplay is what keeps you alive. Especially if you are battleship player in 4-5 DD meta. It makes absolutely no sense for you to go in there, be the target for DD that is capping and all his friends who are also playing passive. You are going to stick out like a sore thumb and promptly get hammered out of existence.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MikeC posted:

Passive gameplay is what keeps you alive. Especially if you are battleship player in 4-5 DD meta. It makes absolutely no sense for you to go in there, be the target for DD that is capping and all his friends who are also playing passive. You are going to stick out like a sore thumb and promptly get hammered out of existence.

Nine game losing streak in my Mahan/Gremy. One game I had a Kraken. Losses almost universally because the enemy DDs pushed in with cruisers and BBs backing them up. One game because a Saipan poo poo all over everyone AND kept me permaspotted from spawn.

loving weekend teams.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

MikeC posted:

I don't know if this is true for other WoWS servers, but at least on the US WOT server, beyond even the current meta, US players by and large tend to be extremely passive compared to what I've heard and seen on EU and particularly RU servers. I wouldn't be surprised if that passivity is also present in WoWS. In any case, those that are not tend to either be trying to play smart and accomplish something (see above for what that usually leads to) or loving idiots that don't know what they're doing, why they're doing it, or how it should be done, but by god they're going to do it anyways. (see above for what that usually leads to). Eventually the smart ones play passively themselves and let the stupid ones charge in (Because hey, they were going to anyways), and the cycle continues.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Blindeye posted:

Nine game losing streak in my Mahan/Gremy. One game I had a Kraken. Losses almost universally because the enemy DDs pushed in with cruisers and BBs backing them up. One game because a Saipan poo poo all over everyone AND kept me permaspotted from spawn.

loving weekend teams.

Sure that is if the team is willing to go in together. Usually its one brave cat that makes the move in enough people back him up for the herd mentality to take over though. More often than not though, no one comes to back you up and you just die horribly. You see I used to be that brave cat that moved in. Maybe paid off 1 in 3 times.

I never do that anymore. Too many 15-20k dps games where I push in as a BB hoping teammates follow and they don't. I end up spending maybe 90 seconds in the fight and get pounded down to dust or I have to make that desperation turn, show my broadside and spend the rest of the game limping around unable to really engage in any real fighting.

Until the game devs solve this problem of rewarding passive gameplay and actively punishing aggressive gameplay, there is no reason to be "that guy" for me anymore. Ever since I started actively doing bow on passive style, my win rate and WTR rating have made a solid beeline up. You can see it yourself.

https://na.warships.today/player/1022318119/MikeC_81

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
OK, why can't I join the Discord channel? Am I stupid or has the link changed?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
So where and how do i sign up for the Nikolai seal clubbing club?

This thing is amazing

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I have concluded that the people who told me the Bismarck is good are full of poo poo. It's an unmaneuverable whale that gets dropped into T10 battles constantly, where it's guns can't do much to the big ships.

Gonna have to agree that the unmaneuverable whale part is 100% true on the Bismarck. The 850m turning circle is pretty garbaggio already, but the 22.4 second rudder shift really seals the deal.

I can't believe flamu recommends Damecon mod 2 when Steering Gears mod 2 on it feels almost mandatory in order to turn anywhere in the span of a week. I thought the Gneisenau was quite bad on this but at least it pulls a 14.7 rudder without any sort of mod. The Bismarck feels like total crap doing turns and I've gotten killed many times trying to do the things I could in a Gneisenau in a Bismarck.

Edit: the Leander accelerates ridiculously fast. I was inside my own smoke shooting a Bayern to the north, when a Cleveland popped 10km out to my east. I accelerate to maneuver inside my own smoke in order to be able to turn all my guns on the Cleveland, but because I went from 0 to 20 in less than four seconds without any sort of mod, I ended up well outside my own smoke puff before I ever had a chance to go back to 0.

OSad fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 14, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OSad posted:

Gonna have to agree that the unmaneuverable whale part is 100% true on the Bismarck. The 850m turning circle is pretty garbaggio already, but the 22.4 second rudder shift really seals the deal.

I can't believe flamu recommends Damecon mod 2 when Steering Gears mod 2 on it feels almost mandatory in order to turn anywhere in the span of a week. I thought the Gneisenau was quite bad on this but at least it pulls a 14.7 rudder without any sort of mod. The Bismarck feels like total crap doing turns and I've gotten killed many times trying to do the things I could in a Gneisenau in a Bismarck.

Edit: the Leander accelerates ridiculously fast. I was inside my own smoke shooting a Bayern to the north, when a Cleveland popped 10km out to my east. I accelerate to maneuver inside my own smoke in order to be able to turn all my guns on the Cleveland, but because I went from 0 to 20 in less than four seconds without any sort of mod, I ended up well outside my own smoke puff before I ever had a chance to go back to 0.

He runs that mod to cut down on fire damage, which is a large source of damage in higher tier games. Rudder shift time while nice is only required if you abandon bow on passive style and have to dodge uh you know torpedoes. But why take the risk when you can stay at 10km and still be able to shell people with your secondaries?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Well, this was a dogshit night. Just nothing would go well. Would take a cap in a Benson/Lo Yang then get pushed off or killed because their destroyer had support, while my team is behind islands. Bring out the Belfast, which usually gives ok games, pushed out of smoke a few times, had a smoke bug and then watched a team with a strong lead throw it in the end.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I knew today would be a bad idea to play, so I didn't. I am sorry for your loss(es).

Benson and Lo Yang are very good ships though and a lot of fun to sail.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

You DO realize that the Bismarck has the best rudder shift of any of the T8 battleships, right? If anything the rudder shifts need to be rebalanced, because currently stock hull Amagi has a rudder shift significantly faster than the other two, but gains nowhere near as much on the upgraded hull as either of the others (Amagi: 20.8-17.3; NC: 22.8-17.3; Bismarck: 22.4-16). Additionally, Bismarck is the fastest of the three and, while North Carolina has a decently better turning radius, Bismarck still has a better turning radius than Amagi. Complaining that the Bismarck is unmaneuverable is complaining battleships as a class are unmaneuverable, because she actually handles extremely well in comparison to her peers and higher tiers. And 12.8 second rudder shift (w. Steering Gears Mod. 2) along with Sonar is perfectly fine to dodge or mostly dodge all but the fastest torpedo spreads, which you'll still mitigate.

Acceleration isn't the problem with British cruisers, it's stopping. It takes absolutely forever to decelerate in one, and they actually have Propulsion Mod. 2 completely removed from their choices.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MikeC posted:

Nah, I'm talking about people who when all three points are capped by the enemy team, refuse to move on any of them. I've lost three matches due to teammates wanting to snipe from the edges of the map rather than cap. Passive gameplay only gets you so far.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

You DO realize that the Bismarck has the best rudder shift of any of the T8 battleships, right? If anything the rudder shifts need to be rebalanced, because currently stock hull Amagi has a rudder shift significantly faster than the other two, but gains nowhere near as much on the upgraded hull as either of the others (Amagi: 20.8-17.3; NC: 22.8-17.3; Bismarck: 22.4-16).

I just realized that I'm the dumbest sailor on this side of the quadrant. I hadn't realized that the B hull for her - which I have not bought yet - knocks down her steering by another 5.1 seconds :negative:

In my defense, I went by the preview window that pops up after you click the module upgrade, and since it claimed to only add a mere three points of extra maneuverability to the ship's stat, I thought it was something inconsequential and put off on upgrading it since it does cost a heavy four million credits. Five seconds shaven off of your rudder shift should be represented as anything but only three points on a battleship, that is a massive loving upgrade when you stack SGM2 mod on top of it.

Edit: Just played a game immediately after buying the new hull to make sure it wasn't just some placebo upgrade:

I don't even know what to say... feels like a completely different ship. I had DD's and Tirpitzes vomiting spreads at me, torpedo squadrons all over my rear end... only ate one torp at the end and it was more by accident than anything :v: Sorry about the rudder shift rant.

Edit Edit:

AfroSquirrel posted:

I hope you didn't skip the gun upgrade when you played the Clemson.

That one I watched astf's video on so I knew what the deal was. I did bushgoof myself on this one.

OSad fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Sums up the night.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OSad posted:

I just realized that I'm the dumbest sailor on this side of the quadrant. I hadn't realized that the B hull for her - which I have not bought yet - knocks down her steering by another 5.1 seconds :negative:

In my defense, I went by the preview window that pops up after you click the module upgrade, and since it claimed to only add a mere three points of extra maneuverability to the ship's stat, I thought it was something inconsequential and put off on upgrading it since it does cost a heavy four million credits. Five seconds shaven off of your rudder shift should be represented as anything but only three points on a battleship, that is a massive loving upgrade when you stack SGM2 mod on top of it.

I hope you didn't skip the gun upgrade when you played the Clemson.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just had a pretty great game.

We're on Estuary, and my team splits evenly for A and D. I go A, but I'm in a Warspite so I'm way behind everyone. By the time i get in the fight, my entire flank has collapsed (and we're now down 5 ships to their 1) and there's a Scharnhorst on fire, a Schors, a Nurnberg, a Sims, and a Leander in the cap. There's no way I'm re-positioning and surviving, so I banzai in, guns blazing.

I do enough damage to the Scharn that the fire kills it. I then citadel the Schors with my forward guns, and kill the Sims with my aft guns. I pop the Leander a few times and it runs away, so I focus on the Nurnberg as my secondaries have finished off the Schors. I'm pretty beat up at this point, but i manage to get a salvo off just as I'm killed by fire, and it citadels and finishes the Nurnberg granting me a "Flesh Wound" award. This is all while somehow dodging all but 1 torpedo from the combined enemy boats. I ended up tanking 93K damage.

All in all, I destroyed their entire flank pretty much single-handedly and we went on to win the game. Pretty exciting, since things rarely go so well for me. Really wish I'd been recording.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Scharhorst, Belfast, Arizona to be sold ingame for doubloons.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Kraken Unleashed in the Graf Spee. I guess I'm starting to figure out how it works. :unsmith:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lazy Reservist posted:

OK, why can't I join the Discord channel? Am I stupid or has the link changed?

Discord is the same as it's been - Instant Invite: https://discord.gg/0lSMRHzXe0ACHNvV

JCFalkenberg posted:

Small sample size and all, but I'm doing considerably more average damage than other T8 bbs so far:

And all I've unlocked so far is the hull (yeah, the stock hull rudder is really poo poo).

You haven't been on discord in forever, mate :(

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The Bismark has such a good rudder turn rate that you can duel DD's if it comes down to it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Got the Leander from the convoy mission. Don't think I'm going to worry too much about getting the other ships, since I've already played them and have premium ones that fill the same roles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So the IFHE skill allows 152mm HE (and 155m if you're nostalgic for the pre-nerf Mogami) to penetrate 32mm of armor, which is a VERY SIGNIFICANT number since it's basically the maximum external plating ever reaches.

I'm not sure if it's worth it or not on the Donskoi but it's hella worth on the Chapayev/Kutuzov/Shchors.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 15, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I'm cursed.

One of those losses was a Kraken. Another was a 4 kill game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I made a mistake. I played today. :negative:

I really should just wait until the Graf Spee and Santa's Convoy missions are over before bothering again.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just had a picture perfect match in the Dunkerdoo of all ships.

Tier VIII match on Land of Fire, and we're losing. A dead guy who was in a Sims starts bitching at the two BBs who went to the A line. Now mind you I already had two kills (Gneisenau and Fiji) and was about to cap. Cyclone started and I blapped a low hp Budyonny that stumbled into my bubble. Now the Sims guy is saying that I waited too long to do anything. Then I kill an Aoba also low on hp. Defend a cap. Finish off an Atago that I had citadel'd earlier in the match. Now its down to me and a Belfast. I guess which way hes going and we're heading right for eachother. His team is slightly ahead on points and the final 10 second timer is starting. I forgot that the Belfast has no torpedoes and thought he was going to probably kill me. But I rammed the poo poo out of him (which you can actually see in the screenshot), survived and won the game:

Upon further review, it looks like the ram occurred right at the 20 minute mark as time expired:

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 15, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Just got solo'd in my FDG by a moskva because apparently accuracy is overrated. Like holy poo poo 5 volleys in a row straddled him with a grand total of one pen. That's basically wargaming saying "well you got the aim dead on but lol go gently caress yourself"

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Fun and engaging!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sperglord Actual posted:

Fun and engaging!

Don't forget, WoWS is the "thinking man's wargame!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15kYzEFZ4Ns

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Just got solo'd in my FDG by a moskva because apparently accuracy is overrated. Like holy poo poo 5 volleys in a row straddled him with a grand total of one pen. That's basically wargaming saying "well you got the aim dead on but lol go gently caress yourself"

I had a game like that in my new Mexico Thursday. 6 volleys at a 9km emerald. 1 over pen hit, the rest bracketing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HFX posted:

I had a game like that in my new Mexico Thursday. 6 volleys at a 9km emerald. 1 over pen hit, the rest bracketing.

In the fall of 2015 I had a game like that where I was the cruiser. It turned out the guy who couldn't hit me was streaming, but the twitch channel is gone now so I can't link the archive :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Got my first hackusation today. An Atlanta driver got pissy that my Nagato landed 4 16" shells on him a few seconds after he got back under concealment.

I also just purposely made a pubbie into a TKer. He was trying to be cute by shooting all around my destroyer, and then finally launched a spread of torps at me to make me dodge them. I turned into them instead and ate the salvo, he ragequit.

EDIT: And then next round with that same destroyer got a Devastating Strike / Double Strike combination. Pretty good night.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 15, 2017