Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Ideally slam a game then two pages later praise the same game for a completely different reason. Do not allow consistency to burden you.

I will be as surprised as anyone if I come back in here and excitedly post "Mass Effect Andromeda is really loving great, dudes!" But I mean, there's collecting and crafting...so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Drifter posted:

I will be as surprised as anyone if I come back in here and excitedly post "Mass Effect Andromeda is really loving great, dudes!" But I mean, there's collecting and crafting...so we'll see.

Hit enemy the Collectors from ME2 pegged to return in Andromeda according to unsourced rumor!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pre-ordering games is the coolest way to own yourself

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

Hit enemy the Collectors from ME2 pegged to return in Andromeda according to unsourced rumor!

Hahah of loving COURSE they'd be there.

I sincerely hope that that's just drama caused by someone who's even more bitter and jaded than I am.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 14, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

The biggest sin of ME3 was that the laziest writing happened RIGHT at the end

That's not fair. Every aspect of writing the reaper plot in all of the games was lazy as gently caress. They weren't going to pull out of that death spiral.

Everyone throws around lovecraftian to describe the reapers, but what they're getting at is existential dread. That theme is best served with a force of nature villain, and that's what the reapers should have been, and it's what they were set up to be by their very backstory. Instead we got space child and reapers who even know Shepard's name and converse with the player like it's an important thing for them to do.

Compare that to something like the ring wraiths from lotr. They knew the name baggins but didn't give a flying gently caress about talking with Frodo or Bilbo. The one time they do meet, Frodo gets shanked because force of nature villains don't sit around asking for one lump of sugar in their tea over biscuits because, to them, the protagonist isn't a person to be reasoned with. A reaper talking to Shepard like sovereign or the rannoch reaper do is equivalent to you having a chat to tell a roach why you're going to kill it before you do. Threats are so mind bogglingly outside of what a reaper should be that it turns them into a caricature, and it really shows that the writers misunderstood the setting they were working with on a fundamental level at all stages of the writing for the reaper plot.

So, no, the laziest writing didn't happen at the end of me3; it happened at the end of me1.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

it really shows that the writers misunderstood the setting they were working with on a fundamental level at all stages of the writing for the reaper plot.

This is insane.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's not fair. Every aspect of writing the reaper plot in all of the games was lazy as gently caress. They weren't going to pull out of that death spiral.

Everyone throws around lovecraftian to describe the reapers, but what they're getting at is existential dread. That theme is best served with a force of nature villain, and that's what the reapers should have been, and it's what they were set up to be by their very backstory. Instead we got space child and reapers who even know Shepard's name and converse with the player like it's an important thing for them to do.

So, no, the laziest writing didn't happen at the end of me3; it happened at the end of me1.

I think giving a voice to the reapers in ME1 was great. It was the first hint that maybe they COULD be overcome, while also giving you an awesome Darth Vader-esque villain. The Reapers LOOKED cthonic, but they were just gently caress-awesome space vikings who wanted to watch the world burn - since it wasn't their world. And I really liked the reaper conversations, not only because the voice sounded literally awesome but also because they were a dope way to show you that the galaxy/universe, in spite of having umpteen dozens of different aliens and mass effect portals throughout was still very much a mystery and filled with unknown quantities. Had they been voiceless I don't beleive they would have been very interesting at all, since the game didn't really devote any time to creating any lovecraftian vibes aside from telling you about them.

I think making it weirdly personal in ME3 (I don't remember much reapers in ME2 aside from the one taking control of the Collectors all the time) was odd, like you say. Although ME2 had that derilect ship where you meet Legion with those scientist entries about them slowly losing their minds, and that was pretty dope.

I also think Cerberus' development in 3 was really loving strange. Like, I get that MAYBE the reapers using TIM and Miranda's dad and all to be treasonous and gently caress with things to help the reapers come early might have been possible, but what a muddled way to go about that.

So no, I disagree with you that the Reapers should have stayed voiceless, and also believe that the story could have been simlar at the end but just without the dumb loving exposition starchild.

Let's face it, ME3 was never going to have anything more than a Star Wars story - it wasn't ever really going to be great on its own. It's the characters that make it, at the end of the day, which thankfully they mostly pulled off.

edit: Now, I DO wish Bioware had pulled off environmental story-telling and characterization better than they did. Adam Jensen's broken bathroom mirror (and tidbits) told more about his character in Deus Ex than most CONVERSATIONS in Mass Effect. A lot of the environments felt bland because they lacked a lot of that type of detail.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 14, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

ME3 just had a lazy ending. Inexcusably lazy, considering, but still, just lazy. And the whole war asset thing was poorly thought out - or somehow a force to moneygrab for 'ingame dlc' type multi-player poo poo. The biggest sin of ME3 was that the laziest writing happened RIGHT at the end, so there was nothing to mitigate the feeling that Bioware was literally rear end deep in trying to gently caress its fanbase over somehow - or at least just completely dismissive of them, the fans and customers.

DAInq had a hodgepodge of occasionally fun writing, really pretty visuals, and utter shite most everything else.

The ending sucks because most of the writing team was locked out. Everything else, even the stuff that sucked, everyone had a chance to put in some input and try to massage the worst edges off. The ending, Hudson and Walters locked themselves in a back room with the explicit goal of "Lots of speculation from everybody". It was pure worst ideas with nobody else getting a chance to call 'em on being crap. It's a pretty well known bit of behind the scenes drama.

The revised ending, meanwhile, had everyone in the room, even if some of the creator's darlings were still off limits, which is why most people who finish the game with the revised cut tend to wonder why people complain so much about a mediocre, harmless enough final mission.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 14, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You will all be genuflecting upon the smart, ambitious writing of Mass Effect 3 once Andromeda is released.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

This is insane.

dont sign your posts friend

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I don't think he's wrong.

exquisite tea posted:

You will all be genuflecting upon the smart, ambitious writing of Mass Effect 3 once Andromeda is released.

I really hope to God that, in spite of his being promoted (or whatever), Walters got tons of poo poo from corporate for forcing them to spend extra man hours to redo that ending. That's my dream, that it was a conditional "we see you hosed up bigtime" promotion, somehow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mac Walters is only in there because the former lead writer, head of narrative masterpiece Halo 4, left the project early.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Mac Walters is only in there because the former lead writer, head of narrative masterpiece Halo 4, left the project early.

Oh. I thought one of the writers from last time was in charge of the whole shebang. And Walters is the only person I know in Bioware enough to dislike mock. :shrug:

So the Halo guy didn't finish writing Andromeda? He left early? Who's the current head writer (please don't say "a bag of rocks with a wig on")?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Who's the current head writer (please don't say "a bag of rocks with a wig on")?

The chief fanfiction writer I think. Probably who you're thinking of I have no idea what they actually look like.

Probably going to be a major emphasis on who you can gently caress on the ship.

Galactic conflict or something? Who cares, I'm having sex with the elevator AI. *presses close door button, continues*

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DancingShade posted:

Galactic conflict or something? Who cares, I'm having sex with the elevator AI. *presses close door button, continues*

Back when I played EverQuest, there was a phase of raiding content that rendered the Magician class almost worthless. Most of their spells were resisted, and their pets died too quickly to be effective. The one spell they could reliably land lowered the resistances of the target - but not enough for Mages to land their other spells. A friend of mine who played a Magician got so bored with the situation that he parked his character in front of the raid entrance, opening and closing the door to gently caress with the Monks who pulled the mobs to the raid members. He did this for weeks.

I didn't know until now that really he was having sex with the AI, and would later join Bioware as a writer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

Oh. I thought one of the writers from last time was in charge of the whole shebang. And Walters is the only person I know in Bioware enough to dislike mock. :shrug:

So the Halo guy didn't finish writing Andromeda? He left early? Who's the current head writer (please don't say "a bag of rocks with a wig on")?

It's apparently Mac Walters. Again.

So. Well.

I'm keeping cautious, but he's been associated with a lot of the bad moves for ME3, and fewer of the good ones.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
since doom didnt ever properly live up to the name retard 4 maybe we still have a chance with mass effect

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mac Walters was head writer for 3, but he's director for Andromeda. Official story is once Schlerf finished his contributions to the project, he moved to Seattle to join Bungie, and he's "very proud" of his work on Andromeda. He seems to bounce between projects and companies a lot, so maybe this is just how he operates. The central story is probably what they locked in first, and the rest is the fleshing out and character writing Bioware uses their regular stable for. If that leaves Mac filling in the "head writer" role for the project until it's finished, I don't know.

Anyone got an opinion on the story of Destiny: Rise of Iron? Schlerf is listed as the head writer on that too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the funny thing about Kai Leng.

There's a bunch of that in the game already.

Thane talks about how lovely he is to lose to a dying drell. Bailey stops him by hacking the elevator. And Shepard spends the whole last encounter talking about how he's a whiny little loser.

I think a decent chunk of the writing team thought of him the same way the played does. It's just that it wasn't unanimous.

Shepard even calls him out on needing to get bailed out by a gunship on the Asari homeworld. Kai Leng gets so mad and whiny when Shep says it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Moola posted:

pre-ordering games is the coolest way to own yourself

each time you diss it im preordering another copy

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/819967276917129216

kinda wish those were actual models in game. I don't like the standard looks but I'm bad at customizing faces

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm glad women still use make up in the andromeda galaxy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MadBimber posted:

each time you diss it im preordering another copy

this just means your owning yourself more though?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the funny thing about Kai Leng.

There's a bunch of that in the game already.

Thane talks about how lovely he is to lose to a dying drell. Bailey stops him by hacking the elevator. And Shepard spends the whole last encounter talking about how he's a whiny little loser.

I think a decent chunk of the writing team thought of him the same way the played does. It's just that it wasn't unanimous.

He still gets some obnoxious moments and his design was unforgivable, but I do agree that the characters, at least at the end, admitted what a pathetic little writer's pet he was.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

marshmallow creep posted:

Mac Walters was head writer for 3, but he's director for Andromeda. Official story is once Schlerf finished his contributions to the project, he moved to Seattle to join Bungie, and he's "very proud" of his work on Andromeda. He seems to bounce between projects and companies a lot, so maybe this is just how he operates. The central story is probably what they locked in first, and the rest is the fleshing out and character writing Bioware uses their regular stable for. If that leaves Mac filling in the "head writer" role for the project until it's finished, I don't know.

Anyone got an opinion on the story of Destiny: Rise of Iron? Schlerf is listed as the head writer on that too.

Destiny Rise of Iron had a bad story, if you can even say it has a story.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

frajaq posted:

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/819967276917129216

kinda wish those were actual models in game. I don't like the standard looks but I'm bad at customizing faces

Those suck rear end

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I hope everyone is pronouncing Ai with its canon pronunciation "AYEeeeeeeeeeee!"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Those suck rear end

I'm just hoping we get more kickass content for gently caress Yeah Mass Effect (http://fuckyeahmasseffect.soup.io/) once this game gets into gear. (Tali suit is a collection of spiders, Shepard treats grunt like a 4 year old, Marauder Shields, etc)

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Moola posted:

this just means your owning yourself more though?

i own myself and gamer cultuer all at once, sounds like a win win

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

BexGu posted:

I'm just hoping we get more kickass content for gently caress Yeah Mass Effect (http://fuckyeahmasseffect.soup.io/) once this game gets into gear. (Tali suit is a collection of spiders, Shepard treats grunt like a 4 year old, Marauder Shields, etc)

yes kickass content

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
You gotta take the good with the bad here

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Geostomp posted:

He still gets some obnoxious moments and his design was unforgivable, but I do agree that the characters, at least at the end, admitted what a pathetic little writer's pet he was.

When I think of "pet character", I think of someone who gets brutally owned by the audience self-insert.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lt. Danger posted:

When I think of "pet character", I think of someone who gets brutally owned by the audience self-insert.

Sounds like you're trying to be sarcastic here, to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Leng is the comic relief of ME3..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Compare that to something like the ring wraiths from lotr. They knew the name baggins but didn't give a flying gently caress about talking with Frodo or Bilbo. The one time they do meet, Frodo gets shanked because force of nature villains don't sit around asking for one lump of sugar in their tea over biscuits because, to them, the protagonist isn't a person to be reasoned with. A reaper talking to Shepard like sovereign or the rannoch reaper do is equivalent to you having a chat to tell a roach why you're going to kill it before you do. Threats are so mind bogglingly outside of what a reaper should be that it turns them into a caricature, and it really shows that the writers misunderstood the setting they were working with on a fundamental level at all stages of the writing for the reaper plot.

Talking to Sovereign in ME1 was because you turned on a beacon and he responded thinking you were Saren. Then he basically told you that he was going to kill you and you couldn't understand why. So your point is invalid. I mean, I guess he could have totally ignored you but it's a game and they did a good job and came about as close to your ideal as they could.

The reapers were dread in the first game.

But you post is probably just a troll because there is no way that you could actually mean what you said and still be able to bathe and feed yourself.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-banging-in-mass-effect-andromeda-will-be-plentiful-and-good-producer-says/

the banging

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The most interesting part of that article is that your crew will be wandering the ship. instead of in their one or two rooms.

That said, The WORST parts of these rpgs is all the walking in order to talk to your team. Twelve minutes of gametime in order to run around and have a small two line dialog with your crew. :barf:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
more bang for your buck

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

Well in that case you're the pet character of this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hope they'll wander in my bed