Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

moolchaba posted:

I'm watching twitch streams and realizing how dull the pve is in DAOC as compared to EverQuest. It reminds me of the lackluster pve you see in korean grinders.

I did EQ1 Phinigel a little while back, and honestly the low level group PVE isn't that much more interesting. It's also mostly a grind.
Casters in EQ have a larger arsenal of different spells and utilities but the melee is mostly auto attack and spamming 2 to 3 buttons (Taunt/Kick/Special).

The EQ PVE zones are indeed more varied and interesting, but they have to as that is the endgame. DAOC endgame happens in the frontier, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I just started playing this again on Uthgard. I hate myself and I hate fun. Rolled alb. Not sure if I'm taking a minstrel or theurgist to 50. If I level a minstrel people will probably group as long as I relearn how to twist and I don't have to actually be good at anything else.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

moolchaba posted:

I'm watching twitch streams and realizing how dull the pve is in DAOC as compared to EverQuest. It reminds me of the lackluster pve you see in korean grinders.
the best times i've ever had in video games was pvping back in the day with my friends in this game. a bunch of them got very excited about uthgard and spent the weekend playing non-stop. i tried to jump in and join them, but i forgot how blatantly unfun EVERYTHING in this game is that isn't pvp.

*dies trying to solo an even level mob*

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

cams posted:

the best times i've ever had in video games was pvping back in the day with my friends in this game. a bunch of them got very excited about uthgard and spent the weekend playing non-stop. i tried to jump in and join them, but i forgot how blatantly unfun EVERYTHING in this game is that isn't pvp.

*dies trying to solo an even level mob*

It's great. Also people ignoring the battlegrounds so they can grind more.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

uguu posted:

It's great. Also people ignoring the battlegrounds so they can grind more.
they should have put the 5-9 bgs on this server. gently caress it, 1-4 too. just let me pvp in the pvp game

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Is cherts a meme?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

cams posted:

they should have put the 5-9 bgs on this server. gently caress it, 1-4 too. just let me pvp in the pvp game

Yeah. I'm way more interested in the Genesis reboot after spending a weekend on Uthgard.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

cosmicjim posted:

Is cherts a meme?

Maybe? If you get a thin/flat/round chert from low level mobs (Spriggan especially) in Albion you can hand them to Stonemason Glover in Cotswold (and apparently another stonemason in ludlow/humberton?) and receive a thrust/slash/crush one handed weapon. Its the only conceit to making low level characters less awful in the entire game at that point and it only exists in Albion in two of the four starting points and the only way you would know about it is by talking to the suspicious Stonemason NPC who is never involved in any quests. Classic MMO fun.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 10, 2017

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
Rolled a runemaster (lvl 16 now). The game is so unforgiving - I love it.

"Let's spawn a green spider directly onto you while regenerating with 40%hp and no stam. Oh and your next root quickcast will be a miss!"

*dies*

It really is a grindfest and the combat is dull but mistakes and spawns (and lag) can lead to wipes fast so it's always high stakes. It also gets better from 10-30 where you have a few regions to choose from, dungeons, regional quests, epic quest line and tasks. What I'm fearing is the grind from 40-50. I just wish it wouldn't take 3 minutes to regen my mana from 0 to 100%.

The playerbase is outstanding. People are actually leaving groups politely after the 4th wipe. Not sure how long I'll play but for now it's fun!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have nothing against the gameplay itself, but they really should have bumped up the exp grouping bonus.
After playing for a day I have no interest in repeating this same grind for at least 150 hours before i can even START playing the game I want to play.

In Genesis it was really easy to find groups as any class, as long as you contributed somehow it was good.
I got to lvl 50 after maybe 30 hours or so, which is a whole different story.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Jessant posted:

Maybe? If you get a thin/flat/round chert from low level mobs (Spriggan especially) in Albion you can hand them to Stonemason Glover in Cotswold (and apparently another stonemason in ludlow/humberton?) and receive a thrust/slash/crush one handed weapon. Its the only conceit to making low level characters less awful in the entire game at that point and it only exists in Albion in two of the four starting points and the only way you would know about it is by talking to the suspicious Stonemason NPC who is never involved in any quests. Classic MMO fun.

Ok, it all makes since now. I kept seeing chert in starter guild chat, but no one was explaining it. Someone handed me a slash weapon and called it a chert. It made no sense. Now I know he meant a chert was turned it to receive it.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?

Evernoob posted:

I have nothing against the gameplay itself, but they really should have bumped up the exp grouping bonus.
After playing for a day I have no interest in repeating this same grind for at least 150 hours before i can even START playing the game I want to play.

In Genesis it was really easy to find groups as any class, as long as you contributed somehow it was good.
I got to lvl 50 after maybe 30 hours or so, which is a whole different story.

Well, part of Uthgard's goal is to deliver the authentic DAoC 2002 experience ;). I'd also welcome a less grindy experience though. Is there a release date for Genesis yet?

iFriend fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 10, 2017

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

iFriend posted:

Rolled a runemaster (lvl 16 now). The game is so unforgiving - I love it.

"Let's spawn a green spider directly onto you while regenerating with 40%hp and no stam. Oh and your next root quickcast will be a miss!"

*dies*

It really is a grindfest and the combat is dull but mistakes and spawns (and lag) can lead to wipes fast so it's always high stakes. It also gets better from 10-30 where you have a few regions to choose from, dungeons, regional quests, epic quest line and tasks. What I'm fearing is the grind from 40-50. I just wish it wouldn't take 3 minutes to regen my mana from 0 to 100%.

The playerbase is outstanding. People are actually leaving groups politely after the 4th wipe. Not sure how long I'll play but for now it's fun!

Don't go below 50%, it'll halve your regen rate.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I have a ranger and he's almost level 6. Just soloing right now outside Tir na Nog.

I'm content to royally screw this character over with my specialization choices and still have fun.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?

uguu posted:

Don't go below 50%, it'll halve your regen rate.

:doh: Thanks! I figured I'm missing something but totally forgot about that. How is combat regen calculated btw? X sec timer till regen starts at the same rate as out of combat or is it different?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Man, I'm really enjoying the uniqueness to DAOC mechanics that I mostly forgotten since it's been so long. I'm so hooked right now. Still haven't grouped yet, but probably will when I get to level 10.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I'm pretty sad about this. I think I've finally reached a point in my life where I can't pick up DAOC anymore. It's taken a while, but now I work a job that doesn't allow much to be done (at least on uthgard) with the level grind that I remember. Please, fellow DAOC players, murder in my absence.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

nousername posted:

I'm pretty sad about this. I think I've finally reached a point in my life where I can't pick up DAOC anymore. It's taken a while, but now I work a job that doesn't allow much to be done (at least on uthgard) with the level grind that I remember. Please, fellow DAOC players, murder in my absence.

This is where I'm at.

I love the nostalgia and all, but I have a full time job with a wife and 2 year old, I just straight up don't have the time to keep up with people.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I don't care about the race to level 40+. I'm just in it for the slow ride. Most of my play experience 16 years ago was soloing anyways and enjoying the crafting system.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If someone has power regen I don't mind pling you.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I don't even know what I would play in alb. It seems like half the people here said they wanted to make a sorc.

I think if I were to pick it back up I'd play a merc or arms.

What are the power regen classes of alb again? Friar and...something? God it's been so long.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Minstrel and sorc have pom. Necro has powertap and transfer. But, make whatever the gently caress you want. Merc is a great choice.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Also there is no need to poopsock. I have fun just shooting the poo poo in discord while making GBS threads on mobs. I'll make some alts at some point. Don't mind grouping with people to help them get exp as long as I'm on a char where it's actually beneficial to them.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Is there a goon discord for daoc? or an uthgard one? I'm a pathetic weak human and after 10 years still can't avoid wanting to play this game

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Anyone got this running on a mac? Tempted to fire this up on my MBP.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I hate myself enough to try playing this game for a few weeks again. I am going to try making a friar.

e: WTF is up with this discord poo poo? I can't even test my mic settings?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 14, 2017

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
This game reminds me of how much I hated myself as a teenager.

Somethings never change.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We in alb use this: https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Same on the no time enough to play like I'd enjoy.

It's heartbreaking, but, whatever.

Maybe I can get a german to plvl me some day.

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
I want to run a second account to buffbot but then I hear they're strict about that. Then on the other hand I hear 50% of midgard is bots. Which is it?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Almervida posted:

I want to run a second account to buffbot but then I hear they're strict about that. Then on the other hand I hear 50% of midgard is bots. Which is it?

You will be banned, they're just too busy right now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are so many people actually playing aug shamans and healers it is ridiculous.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The queue this weekend has been crazy during euro prime. Right now there are 2700 in game and 2300 waiting to get a chance to play.

If I wait till around 9-10 pm EST then it's pretty easy to log right in.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

moolchaba posted:

The queue this weekend has been crazy during euro prime. Right now there are 2700 in game and 2300 waiting to get a chance to play.

If I wait till around 9-10 pm EST then it's pretty easy to log right in.

I noticed that too. I've been holding off picking this game up hearing about how slow the grind is then said gently caress it and installed it on Saturday only to be put in the same 2700 queue and after 30 minutes I gave up.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It is kind of sad that a free shard is more popular than live.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
a 15 year old game should not be charging monthly if they don't continue to add content and good support....

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Evernoob posted:

a 15 year old game should not be charging monthly if they don't continue to add content and good support....

Buff bots did a lot to kill this game. It help carve the divide among the haves and have nots among other things.
I don't have much experience with f2p mmos. How do you go f2p with daoc? Skins seem like it would wreak chaos on class identification because of the current variety of armor models. Everyone already has a horse. You don't want it pay to win.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Even then that would require putting artist back to work on the game? When was the last time any new assets were created? 10 or 11 years ago with labrynth?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
EQ is pve so that's different, but they have kept adding content every year since 1999. TLP servers are also a major draw.

Pvp games are just do much harder to keep adding content to without loving up the core game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Is there a reason an official DAoC TLP shard can't have the same success? Seems like with the Nostalrius fiasco there's some interest in official 'vintage' MMOs.

e: I played DAoC but not a lot so I'm not sure what eras are good/bad

• Locked thread