Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Soul Glo posted:

What would going back to Dominaria mean for the actual cards? Anything cool?

SLIVERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Homarids :getin:

not that Wizards would actually make Homarids, but it would be neat

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

I mean I assume at this point everyone interesting is dead. Other than Jhiora and Teferi.

There's still slivers and other stuff.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

All the cool stuff about Dominaria was in the weird storylines and hosed up characters, which they will never bring back. As a setting Dominaria is just bog standard fantasy fare. I hope they don't go back there.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Sailor Viy posted:

All the cool stuff about Dominaria was in the weird storylines and hosed up characters, which they will never bring back. As a setting Dominaria is just bog standard fantasy fare. I hope they don't go back there.

Counterpoint: TS block was great.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

akulanization posted:

Counterpoint: TS block was great.

The best part of Time Spiral was them going "eh gently caress it" and making everything all the way hosed up. Time broken? Check. Alternate universe? Check. Callback to goddamn Fallen Empires as a major tribe? Check. Random old border cards? Yep. New borders? Yes. Way, way too many keyword mechanics? Of course. Literally hundreds of references? I linked it so of course.

The set rooted in the past used old Magic artists, and the set rooted in the future used never-before-seen but soon prolific artists like Raymond "Orange Spikes" Swanland. Each set had a cycle of creatures that had the ability of an old, powerful card. Future Sight did so much crazy poo poo that they still haven't caught up to it in "normal" magic, ten years later, and they still try to find excuses to print cards from it in new sets. It even reprinted a card from Unglued in black border! With a different name, but still.

God, I love that block. And we'll never get anything approaching that level of cool again, because TSP block shat the bed financially. Oh, well.

I have the distinct feeling that any Return to Dominaria will be full of stuff like the Magic Origins callbacks: that card we liked, but really bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sailor Viy posted:

Given the tease at the end of the Kaladesh storyline, it's almost certain they're doing it for the 25th anniversary or whatever.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Soul Glo posted:

Given how Dominaria was when we left? Colorless-as-a-color; outside the scope of the Eldrazi. Most of the plane is one gigantic Wastes, anything that's left and thriving is at least partially living off of colorless mana.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean I assume at this point everyone interesting is dead. Other than Jhiora and Teferi.

There's still slivers and other stuff.

And Squee. He's immortal.

EDIT:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Depends what you're marvelling my friend

How the gently caress are you casting all those red and white spells? I don't think Aether Hub, Oath of Nissa, and Servant of the Conduit will get you there.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 14, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zemyla posted:

And Squee. He's immortal.

EDIT:

How the gently caress are you casting all those red and white spells? I don't think Aether Hub, Oath of Nissa, and Servant of the Conduit will get you there.

I imagine there's a mountain to fetch off the Evolving Wilds that isn't visible.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Went 2-2 at my prerelease playing RB artifact aggro. I was playing WB the first two rounds because I thought my white removal was better, but I kept getting destroyed. After that I went all in on Scrap Trawler and a Metallic Mimic, with 4 of the 2 drop creatures that can make servos. Pia's Revolution did some work as well because I would get alot of things back. Revolt is the real deal.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Here have a pic of me looking like an idiot showing off my Masterpiece

went 0-2 in mine. Deck was poo poo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Minority Deport posted:

The best part of Time Spiral was them going "eh gently caress it" and making everything all the way hosed up. Time broken? Check. Alternate universe? Check. Callback to goddamn Fallen Empires as a major tribe? Check. Random old border cards? Yep. New borders? Yes. Way, way too many keyword mechanics? Of course. Literally hundreds of references? I linked it so of course.

The set rooted in the past used old Magic artists, and the set rooted in the future used never-before-seen but soon prolific artists like Raymond "Orange Spikes" Swanland. Each set had a cycle of creatures that had the ability of an old, powerful card. Future Sight did so much crazy poo poo that they still haven't caught up to it in "normal" magic, ten years later, and they still try to find excuses to print cards from it in new sets. It even reprinted a card from Unglued in black border! With a different name, but still.

God, I love that block. And we'll never get anything approaching that level of cool again, because TSP block shat the bed financially. Oh, well.

I have the distinct feeling that any Return to Dominaria will be full of stuff like the Magic Origins callbacks: that card we liked, but really bad.

This is a great post. Time Spiral was my favorite block, though I'm biased because I was just returning from a six or seven year break. Wizards could do it again if they were careful: don't flood it with returning mechanics, just make allusions to them. For example, instead of bringing back flanking, just make one creature that gives creatures blocking it -1/-1. Veterans will enjoy catching the reference, new players will just think it's a neat ability. There are more reasons than that why TSP didn't resonate with newer players, and while I'm sure it's possible to do a Time Spiral type of set correctly, I fear Wizards is going to play it too conservative and make Dominaria boring.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes the universe wants you to win. 3 mythics and a foil rare in my pool, including Noxious Gearhulk and the new hasty red guy (no way was I getting two attack steps) and just a glut of solid red and black removal. Only dropped 1 game all night. In my 16 prize packs, I got 5 more mythics, including an Oblivion Stone masterpiece. A friend of mine prize split the last round, and their opponent insisted on taking 8 of her 16, and giving her one of his 2 pity packs, rather than just taking 7 packs and keeping the other 2 for himself. As a result, she opened the Extraplanar Lens masterpiece in the single pack he gave her, and then a Defense Grid masterpiece in the very next pack. I expect that's the last time I'll ever see someone get back to back masterpieces from the same set.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Went 4-0 with a stupidly good B/W deck, all fliers, lifegain, and removal with 5 strong rares. Also drew pretty well and didn't lose a game all night. Didn't pull anything worth anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My Jeskai Copycat deck is owning on Cockatrice... Not sure if that means it's good or not though...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Niton posted:

Given how Dominaria was when we left? Colorless-as-a-color; outside the scope of the Eldrazi. Most of the plane is one gigantic Wastes, anything that's left and thriving is at least partially living off of colorless mana.

this is assuming they haven't retconned anything, which ya know considering how nissa is now, isn't totally out of the realm

like im sure big ol' time rupture is still in the story but they might have rebuilt and stuff

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is assuming they haven't retconned anything, which ya know considering how nissa is now, isn't totally out of the realm

like im sure big ol' time rupture is still in the story but they might have rebuilt and stuff

Uh they didn't rebuild the story the time rupture did. :haw:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
New MTGO arena looks terrible and holy gently caress do people really pay 12 bucks for an online draft in 2017? Magic players are loving suckers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Um that's just a major shift in her character. :rolleyes:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone here ever mailed a playmat? The tubes the post office sell are pretty expensive for one thats big enough (which is quite a bit too big) How would it be to roll the up and put them in a bubble mailer? I just don't want them getting creased.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Went 3-0 at prerelease with G/W commons and uncommons, only rare I ran was the 2/2 doublestrike that grows with revolt.

Also pulled this as the last card in the last pack. Never tried to sell a card before, whats the best way to move this thing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

Went 3-0 at prerelease with G/W commons and uncommons, only rare I ran was the 2/2 doublestrike that grows with revolt.

Also pulled this as the last card in the last pack. Never tried to sell a card before, whats the best way to move this thing?

haha you don't actually sell cards, you keep them for years as an investment

real answer: if you go through a store you're gonna take some kind of hit but you will get cash at least, otherwise i guess tcgplayer?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Firebatgyro posted:

That is a sweet pull. Try the SA Mart Magic Buy/Sell thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone here ever mailed a playmat? The tubes the post office sell are pretty expensive for one thats big enough (which is quite a bit too big) How would it be to roll the up and put them in a bubble mailer? I just don't want them getting creased.

Just fold it. The creases don't last long

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BizarroAzrael posted:

You could probably fold it over a few times and fit it into a Fedex Medium box without actually creasing it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

New MTGO arena looks terrible and holy gently caress do people really pay 12 bucks for an online draft in 2017? Magic players are loving suckers.

Yeah, what the hell, people spending money on an enjoyable good time! (and it's usually more like 10-11 after buying boosters from bots).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It's loving Magic. They can use whatever the hell excuse they need if they want to. "For some that day time began moving backwards". "Subtly at first, the ripples of Sarkhaan's temporal escapade touched more than his plane of dragons". "The space-time continuum is still a poorly understood aspect of the multiverse". "With Karn's tear, a morsel of his soul fell onto this dead world. Part of him died that day, and with it part of Dominaria was quietly being reborn."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah, what the hell, people spending money on an enjoyable good time! (and it's usually more like 10-11 after buying boosters from bots).

The substitutes are just so much better and cheaper. :shrug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rinkles posted:

It's loving Magic. They can use whatever the hell excuse they need if they want to. "For some that day time began moving backwards". "Subtly at first, the ripples of Sarkhaan's temporal escapade touched more than his plane of dragons". "The space-time continuum is still a poorly understood aspect of the multiverse". "With Karn's tear, a morsel of his soul fell onto this dead world. Part of him died that day, and with it part of Dominaria was quietly being reborn."

"nobody gives a gently caress about the story so we're just going to go back in time and have different planeswalkers in the set instead of the power rangers"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Power Rangers planeswalkers would actually be cool and good if they had a Megazord. Look at how many people here still fondly remember the bigass flying ship with a memorable crew.

e: I suppose the faulty bit could be the "memorable" part.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

evilweasel posted:

"nobody gives a gently caress about the story so we're just going to go back in time and have different planeswalkers in the set instead of the power rangers"

Please be respectful of the story. You may not care, but many many neckbeards love the wish fulfillment Jace gives them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Not that I would mind, but returning to dominaria was specifically brought up by Ajani.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

The substitutes are just so much better and cheaper. :shrug:

Agree to degree

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Yeah the unfortunate fact of the matter is that Magic is just a way richer and deeper game than it's competitors. I would love to cash out of WotCs terrible software and dumbass design decisions in favor of Hearthstone etc, but they simply aren't as fun for me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah the unfortunate fact of the matter is that Magic is just a way richer and deeper game than it's competitors. I would love to cash out of WotCs terrible software and dumbass design decisions in favor of Hearthstone etc, but they simply aren't as fun for me.

Eternal scratched that itch for me, even though I haven't proper played it in a week or two due to other stuff going on.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Every deckbuilding card game that isn't magic is just magic with simpler rules, fewer cards, and brighter colors. No thanks.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Serperoth posted:

Eternal scratched that itch for me, even though I haven't proper played it in a week or two due to other stuff going on.

I tried Eternal and remember it being pretty good, but it didn't get its hooks in me for whatever reason. Also, even if the mechanics are on par with Magic, the flavor and art of these games never are. They all have really bland generic rendered looking art and names like "Gunslinger Zombie" and "Healer Elf"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I tried Eternal and remember it being pretty good, but it didn't get its hooks in me for whatever reason. Also, even if the mechanics are on par with Magic, the flavor and art of these games never are. They all have really bland generic rendered looking art and names like "Gunslinger Zombie" and "Healer Elf"

Yeah and poo poo like "soaring" instead of "flying" or whatever lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

Wotc dedicates a lot of money towards the creative aspect of magic, and that's before the millions(?) they spend on art commissions.

• Locked thread