Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

What happens when I park directly on the landing pads in front of the queue of butt saluting commandos? Because that's the first thing I'll be doing

Can ships T-Bag? B'Tak wants to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's me. I am the hypocritizen.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes, you are correct - there are NPC ship enemy dudes that act according to dogfight parameters and not much else. I think what is being referred to here is guys who walk around and do space things, fulfilling Chris's insane dream of having a 9:1 NPC to player ratio.

e: just looked at regdate. Welcome back, SurfaceDetail. lmao

no coconuts? and welcome back! Are they shaved? we know pusher wont accept anything else.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

God dang filthy hypocritizens.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Most everything is implemented in some barebones form so far in our hands or in dev. These are just far out features that haven't really been design doc'd out.

Hmm, I'm going to safely ignore the "or in dev" because of how CIG handles their open development and how much fake the whole 3.0 showcase was (or do you really believe they had a 3.0 slice back in August?)

What's "most everything" then? Specifically. From that list in the reddit quote.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

These people deserve to be scammed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AbstractNapper posted:

Hmm, I'm going to safely ignore the "or in dev" because of how CIG handles their open development and how much fake the whole 3.0 showcase was (or do you really believe they had a 3.0 slice back in August?)

What's "most everything" then? Specifically. From that list in the reddit quote.

Everything in that list is included in the game it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Looking for the day when 3.0 gets released and the CIG team disproves the basic laws of physics to deliver the vision.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

The irony is that, with the kind of money they had at the time - something that I would never even dream of ever putting into a game development - I would have pulled it off too. It's not like I don't build, complete, and deliver games. The issue is that, as an indie with limited funds, there's only so much that I can do. It's like those talented indie movie producers and directors who make it big when they get a chance to make a movie with the right backing.

Are you kidding? Seriously, do you believe the own bullshit coming out of your mouth? You were FORCED to deliver BC3000.

LOD is literally an extension of every one of your games - ever.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of an NPC. All MMOs have literally billions of NPCs, if you count every monster that has spawned and been killed to be a separate NPC. If CIG are saying that they'll be spawning a million autopilot space ships that will play a few pre-recorded audio files at you before they die, then their claims are extremely unimpressive.

On the bright side they've already managed to spawn millions of NPCs at this point so I guess they can pack up and go home.

In reality, CIG have claimed that they'll have complex AI NPCs that live fleshed out independent existences in the simulated universe. The number of NPCs that meet this criteria at the moment: zero.

The original complaint was that there are no NPCs in Star Citizen. This is false.

I believe what he meant was that the AI in SC is rudimentary. Which is true as TZ hasn't implemented it yet.

My overall point is if you are going to make blanket statements trashing old school pros like Tony Z you better at least know basic terminology to not get laughed out of the schoolyard.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 14, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The forum that banned and de-modded Derek Smart just doesn't challenge him on anything!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ah holy gently caress Hypocritizen is literally the best word ever

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Reading that German article it looks like 3.0 is planned to be a later Fall release. So what kind of juicy sub updates do you think we'll get?

I know some prelim netcode updates are planned in 2.6.1 so that's gonna be fairly sweet.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Everything in that list is included in the game it just hasn't been implemented yet.

Yes. That makes it better.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
A real space company about to launch a big rocket...

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Reading that German article it looks like 3.0 is planned to be a later Fall release. So what kind of juicy sub updates do you think we'll get?

I know some prelim netcode updates are planned in 2.6.1 so that's gonna be fairly sweet.

I'm confused fellow Starballer. I thought 3.0/SQ42 was out before the end of the 2016.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

ah holy gently caress Hypocritizen is literally the best word ever

If I could go back to the heady days of late 2015 I would have made that my username. Mods?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Yes. Of course. This system is already in the game. It's in every game.

> Hold it right there buster! This is a stick up!
[XxGokuxX] lol
> No for real. Drop your weapon and give me all your loot.
[XxGokuxX] lol wtf dude get help
> I'm a pirate. Please man. Work woke here.
[XxGokuxX] fuk u
> Last chance before I start to get angry!
-XxGokuxX killed CaptReynolds

I'm sure it'll work out good though for you. :3:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I thought the Friday stream with Lando was awesome! Hopefully this will be good practice for future streams as they'll be doing this every week.

Also I got a newsletter that says 10FOTC is coming back!

10TTWNBITG is too much of a mouthful, so I guess CIG is going to stick with 10FTC aka 10 For the Chairman?

10 Thing That Will Never Be In The Game seems to fit better though...

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

If the Man of Many Aliases that posts itt is a defensive CIG employee, that's terribly funny.

If he's just a guy with no official connection to the project, that's terribly sad.

Man of Many Aliases is actually Chris Roberts.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm confused fellow Starballer. I thought 3.0/SQ42 was out before the end of the 2016.

I think we all know Chris and his estimates. :D

I would have been pleasantly surprised if those turned out to be accurate but I certainly don't make plans around them.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Colostomy Bag posted:

No one ever said that, Chris said he hoped to have it out before the end of last year. I hoped I'd win the Euromillions last night but it didn't happen, and it probably won't any time soon.

Stop spreading FUD.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Yes. Of course. This system is already in the game. It's in every game.

> Hold it right there buster! This is a stick up!
[XxGokuxX] lol
> No for real. Drop your weapon and give me all your loot.
[XxGokuxX] lol wtf dude get help
> I'm a pirate. Please man. Work woke here.
[XxGokuxX] fuk u
> Last chance before I start to get angry!
-XxGokuxX killed CaptReynolds

I'm sure it'll work out good though for you. :3:

lmao why the hell would you ever implement a system that takes control away from a player. That totally defuses the tense "DayZ" moments where everyone has a gun pointed at everyone and you have to actually talk about things.

Of course, maybe you should work on the "more than one player online at a time" and "everyone can hold a gun" parts of the game first.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yea seriously. He said he hoped to get it out before December and immediately said in the next sentence that people want to kill him for making optimistic estimates like that. He was speaking off the cuff entertaining thousands of people and some took it extremely literally.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The original complaint was that there are no NPCs in Star Citizen. This is false.

I believe what he meant was that the AI in SC is rudimentary. Which is true as TZ hasn't implemented it yet.

My overall point is if you are going to make blanket statements trashing old school pros like Tony Z you better at least know basic terminology to not get laughed out of the schoolyard.

There is usually a distinction between NPCs and infinitely respawning mobs in video games. As pgabz says, the underpants guy is the only NPC in the usual sense of the word.

If your definition of NPC covers every scripted entity in a game, then having a discussion with someone who's talking about Chris Roberts and his million complex AIs is going to be difficult.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwpmqMnngRk&t=58s

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TrustmeImLegit posted:

He was speaking off the cuff entertaining thousands of people and some took it extremely literally.
I am going to guess that among those who took it literally were the people who bought ship jpegs that day.

Then, CIG delivered nothing on the secrit 3.0 build, nothing on SQ42 and barely managed to have a half-assed 2.6 build ready by end-of year. All the while spending resources in demos and ship promos.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Wrecked Angle posted:

A real space company about to launch a big rocket...

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

They managed to land it! :stare:

:golfclap:

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

That was pretty amazing the footage on descent was fantastic.. unlike sc mocap

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea seriously. He said he hoped to get it out before December and immediately said in the next sentence that people want to kill him for making optimistic estimates like that. He was speaking off the cuff entertaining thousands of people and some took it extremely literally.

It's me I'm the guy who is giving a huge expensive presentation to the customers (that literally have been paying my bills for years and are expecting news of when they are going to get their products) who decides to "speak off the cuff" lmao

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

It's me I'm the guy who is giving a huge expensive presentation to the customers (that literally have been paying my bills for years and are expecting news of when they are going to get their products) who decides to "speak off the cuff" lmao

It saddens me that development could be more transparent if the backers could handle it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tarquinn posted:

Yeah, it's so impressive that they're getting to the point where they can do this poo poo reliably now. Hopefully in the next few years we can begin to make big strides back into space exploration again.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

HycoCam posted:

Man of Many Aliases is actually Chris Roberts.

Even chris is smarter than moma. And moma's got something chris hasn't: imagination.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yeah, it's so impressive that they're getting to the point where they can do this poo poo reliably now. Hopefully in the next few years we can begin to make big strides back into space exploration again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3kP_40bplQ

Never mind the setting (although that's fun to contrast against SC too) — just get in on the gold rush. :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm just working hard at distributing the proper antagonization orders to the goon legions. If only we weren't genius-level master plotters of evil and incompetently stupid simultaneously this would surely be easier. :(

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Would you prefer if they entered the presentation into a robotic speak n spell?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Recoome posted:

Space Station 13

Honk honk butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Would you prefer if they entered the presentation into a robotic speak n spell?

Are we living in a world where the only two options are incompetently talking about things without thinking them through and a robotic text to speech engine?

I don't think we are.