Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as revolting as it is to even think about Bill Cosby these days, Bill Cosby: Himself is pretty drat funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
No one's mentioned Paul F. Tompkins for clean comedy, which is a shame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bill Cosby: Himself is pretty drat funny

Himself is a stone-cold classic. Some of those '60s albums are amazing (Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow ... RIGHT! never fails to bring me to tears), too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems perfectly reasonable and it passed peer review so it can't be too crazy.

It is reasonable and a good observation (and a good insight on Kubrick's part, it presages the King dominated 80s horror era that mined the hell out The the "built on an Indian burial ground" metaphor for US imperialist crimes), but lmao at the second part.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

This is good advice, no matter what the question was. Crack a window open, will ya? Crack... all the windows open.

Flipmode is the greatest.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It is reasonable and a good observation (and a good insight on Kubrick's part, it presages the King dominated 80s horror era that mined the hell out The the "built on an Indian burial ground" metaphor for US imperialist crimes), but lmao at the second part.

Are you saying that asking Kubrick scholars whether an argument about Kubrick adds meaningfully to the discussion in a responsible way is inefficient or laughable? It's an evidence-based argument.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Timby posted:

Himself is a stone-cold classic. Some of those '60s albums are amazing (Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow ... RIGHT! never fails to bring me to tears), too.

Used to listen to this all the time, historical coin toss is probably my favorite.

EDIT: poo poo, I got sidetracked. Had a 4k streaming question. I'm getting a new TV this weekend, do streaming sites like netflix and amazon detect the TV's ability for 4k and provide it? I upgraded netflix for it but I'm not seeing anything listed for 4k without the set.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 13, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

Are you saying that asking Kubrick scholars whether an argument about Kubrick adds meaningfully to the discussion in a responsible way is inefficient or laughable? It's an evidence-based argument.

I was just making a light peer review joke since some insanely goofy and unsupportable poo poo nevertheless passes peer review all the time.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Franchescanado posted:

I disagree, Bill Cosby puts a lot of people to sleep.

goddamn, dude

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

I used to watch this back in the day. This is Colbert at the top of his game, slaying faces and giving no fucks.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just finished the OA, I actually thought it was pretty good and enjoyed most of the acting. The story largely felt congruent enough and was kind of made sense. These 5 people were in a place of misery and maybe were learning a means to escape via near death experiences and some communication with a higher world, whatever that be. I could feel a strong ending coming on.

But literally the second they brought Saturn into it... just holy poo poo did it get bad. The ending was literally the worst thing I've ever seen on a tv screen and invalidated all the effort I felt I had put in to watching the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just finished the OA, I actually thought it was pretty good and enjoyed most of the acting. The story largely felt congruent enough and was kind of made sense. These 5 people were in a place of misery and maybe were learning a means to escape via near death experiences and some communication with a higher world, whatever that be. I could feel a strong ending coming on.

But literally the second they brought Saturn into it... just holy poo poo did it get bad. The ending was literally the worst thing I've ever seen on a tv screen and invalidated all the effort I felt I had put in to watching the show.

To offer a counter-opinion, I thought they pulled the ending off 100% and I was totally invested in it. It obviously could have ended up being totally ridiculous, and it seems like that's how it came off to you, but for me it absolutely worked and I thought it was amazing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought it was bad all the way through. Like, really bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's pretty obvious when you watch it that its going to be a divisive series. I'm not surprised at all that there would be wildly different opinions about it here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

It's pretty obvious when you watch it that its going to be a divisive series. I'm not surprised at all that there would be wildly different opinions about it here.

I recently had a conversation with a friend who loved the OA ( I havent seen it yet)

Me: I hear they stop a school shooting with interpretive dance
Him: Yeah. And it was loving great.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone else have problems with losing Amazon Prime connection while watching videos on the Xbone? In my no-nothing opinion it is because they don't cache as much as Netflix where I never have any problems. I am wired by enet through my router so it isn't a wireless problem. Not a big deal because it is usually a one minute fix to get back to where I was, but if anyone has any solutions it would be swell!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've had more of a problem with Hulu. It loving sucks.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That Haka dance was loving stupid too. The whole thing was stupid.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just got a notification that It Follows is up on Netflix. Been waiting for it to show up for a while.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tainen posted:

Just got a notification that It Follows is up on Netflix. Been waiting for it to show up for a while.

Yep, watching it now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tainen posted:

Oooooo time for a rewatch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hasn't it been on Netflix since it came out on video? At least it was up for a while right?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Hasn't it been on Netflix since it came out on video? At least it was up for a while right?

Don't think so. I "had" to watch it on Showtime Anytime.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Watching The Pacific on amazon prime I realized that Jon Bernthal is America's Sean Bean. Guy's characters can't catch a break man.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I just finished the first season of In Treatment on Prime. I don't think it's a show that I would recommend to everyone, as it's a slow show and entirely character-driven. But the acting in this show is amazing and Gabriel Byrne really pulls everyone together. The format also works pretty well for this type of show. It's basically about a therapist who sees 6 clients (2 of them are a couple), all of them with their own set of problems. Every client and the couple gets their own episode in which they go through therapy with Paul Weston, Gabriel Byrne's character. And then every 6th episode is Weston meeting with his therapist and just vents it all out. It's some real compelling stuff, and if you're either working in mental health or had an experience, this would probably be a show you'd appreciate. If you're also into shows like Rectify, this would probably scratch that itch too.

EDIT: But yeah, the aesthetic is early 2000s as gently caress and there's no guns/explosions/aliens/whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rough Lobster posted:

I used to watch this back in the day. This is Colbert at the top of his game, slaying faces and giving no fucks.

It's depressing how much he's lost his edge since then, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's tired. He burned himself out gambling that America had a conscience.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Started marathoning The Magicians last night on Netflix and it's pretty good. I've never read the source material so I don't have any opinion on how close it is to the books, but the show is entertaining.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

He's tired. He burned himself out gambling that America had a conscience.

What a punchline!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Retard Tranny posted:

Started marathoning The Magicians last night on Netflix and it's pretty good. I've never read the source material so I don't have any opinion on how close it is to the books, but the show is entertaining.

I kind of dropped the books when furry sex/rape started becoming a recurring theme, so chances are some distance from the source material is probably for the best.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Perestroika posted:

I kind of dropped the books when furry sex/rape started becoming a recurring theme, so chances are some distance from the source material is probably for the best.

I read all the books and straight up don't remember anything other than the first scene and fallout from that. Is this me blocking it while I read or an internet thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What a punchline!

Remember when he ran for president in character, and the joke was that he was an unqualified dumb celebrity doing it to increase his book sales?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

Remember when he ran for president in character, and the joke was that he was an unqualified dumb celebrity doing it to increase his book sales?

Remember the Rally To Restore Sanity?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Camp X-Ray just went up on Netflix streaming, check it out, it's good.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Asnorban posted:

I read all the books and straight up don't remember anything other than the first scene and fallout from that. Is this me blocking it while I read or an internet thing?

By my recollection, the second book ends with one of the main characters getting raped by a fox god

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Tween-safe Stand-up comedians?
Cussing doesn't bother me, but explicit sex jokes and drug jokes are a challenge - some aren't that horrible, and then OH poo poo A BONG-HIT-BLOWJOB JOKE poo poo SKIP SKIP SKIP.

My boys love comedy. Love stand-up comedians like Kevin Hart, and I've found TV-edited stand-up shows, but I'm at a loss for comedians that don't get HELLA explicit but also don't tell jokes about the glory of jesus.

I found Jim Gaffigan, he's amusing but kind of uhh, I don't want to say boring, maybe an acquired taste?

Any suggestions other than Bill Cosby?

Like - even George Carlin kind of stuff is worthy, I think.

Dan Cummins isn't clean, but not much sex content. Also, Gabriel Iglesias is both hilarious an very family friendly.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pycckuu posted:

Watching The Pacific on amazon prime I realized that Jon Bernthal is America's Sean Bean. Guy's characters can't catch a break man.

He made out alright in The Wolf of Wall Street, after he did his time like a man DiCaprio threw him that welcome home party in which two hot chicks blew him on a yacht with 200 of his friends watching and cheering them on

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Hans posted:

He made out alright in The Wolf of Wall Street, after he did his time like a man DiCaprio threw him that welcome home party in which two hot chicks blew him on a yacht with 200 of his friends watching and cheering them on

True, but he still died before the movie ended. I think the only thing he's lived through was Mob City.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pycckuu posted:

True, but he still died before the movie ended. I think the only thing he's lived through was Mob City.

Daredevil Season 2, The Accountant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Regarding Colbert, counterpoint: he's finally hitting his stride and does the best interviews on late night. A funny, catholic, good human who is interested in people.

Wildlike is a nice indie drama on Netflix about a girl fleeing an abusive home in Alaska, and who follows a hiker played by Bruce Greenwood to escape. Makes me want to go to Denali. By the numbers but hit all its shots, I thought.