Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

lol if you don't shuffle the commits in your topic branches like a deck of cards on the reg and selectively deliver some of them to master as and when the need arises

why don't you just zip up your working tree and ftp it to the compaq under the intern's desk every night if you're that committed to doing source control wrong

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you are like child

watch this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

you are like child

watch this

:eyepop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

carry on then posted:

you are like child

watch this

what subway system is this a map of

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody posted:

what subway system is this a map of

the enterprise java metro. lmao.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:yum:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i don't understand how git or version control works lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just push

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hmm. how do you make those pretty diagrams.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i open sourcetree

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

first i work on like four branches at once because juggling and multitasking is very inefficient, then i finish them all at once and merge them to master

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

you are like child

watch this

gitflow loving sucks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i guess i cheated a little because that's more than one person

but all you have to do is make the rule that one change no matter how small is a new branch and presto

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol if your git isn't a straight line

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wow our git looks so much nicer than that. everything we merge has to get rebased first... and now i understand why.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

akadajet posted:

yeah that's basically how mine has looked, i'm the only one on my team that actually writes code anyways. i started using branches this week tho.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

every new feature must be in a new branch located exactly 16 QPUs from master

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

just push

pretty much

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if the commits are hosed up its the next guys problem hth

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

akadajet posted:

this except peppered with conflict merges

it's good poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just push to master

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

current project has a team of 8 developers all pushing straight to master :shepicide:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Rex-Goliath posted:

current project has a team of 8 developers all pushing straight to master :shepicide:

I too use svn

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

we may as well be but no we're using git

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah this is one of those things I can't really get upset about after using SVN for so many years... 8 devs isn't that large a team, its small enough that you can all hopefully coordinate and ensure you're not touching the same files at the same time.

I hate git but I like github... at least theres tons of stack overflow posts about it so when I have to do something weird I can usually google "how to do thing in git" and find something to c/p into my commandline (like I do for the rest of my job)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rex-Goliath posted:

we may as well be but no we're using git

I used to work with a guy that thought using branches wasn't "agile" since we couldn't run the entire integration test suite for every single commit. So we were using git like SVN for awhile basically.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Rex-Goliath posted:

basically this but instead it's "integration" that only gets promoted to master if the cd continuous build is green

also it's 80 instead of 8

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

when
your
git is a mess
but you can't pipe thru less
that's our bloody

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ADINSX posted:

Yeah this is one of those things I can't really get upset about after using SVN for so many years... 8 devs isn't that large a team, its small enough that you can all hopefully coordinate and ensure you're not touching the same files at the same time.

I hate git but I like github... at least theres tons of stack overflow posts about it so when I have to do something weird I can usually google "how to do thing in git" and find something to c/p into my commandline (like I do for the rest of my job)

it's not the crosswiring that's frustrating it's them breaking the build on an hourly basis and forcing me to hunt them down to fix it or fixing it myself

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rex-Goliath posted:

same but five devs, but they only just escaped ten+ years of ClearCase thanks to me so I cut them some serious slack

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what's wrong with git flow

pram
Jun 10, 2001
where i work has the dumbest poo poo. you work on a branch, and then push it to dev -> test -> stage -> prod branches and your commits just pick up a load of random detritus on the way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pram posted:

where i work has the dumbest poo poo. you work on a branch, and then push it to dev -> test -> stage -> prod branches and your commits just pick up a load of random detritus on the way

don't sign

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i keep a kerbalscript thing in my github partly because it has no idea what it is and that's funny to me somehow

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

git is a mess

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fritz posted:

when
your
git is a mess
that's our bloody

gently caress yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fritz posted:

when
your
git is a mess
that's our bloody

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

when
your
git is a mess
that's our bloody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

git flow is good. also lol graphical git client

• Locked thread