Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Is there a way to find your overall playtime on the PS4 iteration? I'm curious and not finding it in the menus or on the saves themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Go in your inventory and hold down R2, it'll move the paper doll to the middle of the screen and bring up a list of your stats including playtime.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. Did I miss something? I just finished the Family Matters quest; I freed the spirit at the Whispering Hillock because it promised to help the children (which I never knew were in danger? the conversation just popped up when talking to it after the crones sent me to kill it), it went and made everyone in the village murder each other. Alright, fine. I went to the Bog with the Baron, fought a Fiend, picked the correct doll, lifted the curse on Anna (who died) and went back to Crow's Perch to find the Baron had hung himself. And then I got a small cutscene saying the kids were safe? When the hell did that happen? Does it just happen offscreen and it's never mentioned again, or did I somehow skip a part of the quest?

And for a question: at which point should I start ignoring sidequests? I have a fuckload of sidequests and contracts, a whole bunch of which are already way below my level (I'm at 12 and I have lvl 6 contracts/sidequests), and it's not like I've been ignoring them, it just seems you get a ton of stuff to do. :saddowns:

Never. Even when you heavily outlevel sidequests, they're still fun and interesting.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

2house2fly posted:

Go in your inventory and hold down R2, it'll move the paper doll to the middle of the screen and bring up a list of your stats including playtime.

Appreciated.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

2house2fly posted:

That has never been an accurate reflection of playtime. It said I had 200 hours of playtime even before I finished act 1. I haven't hit 200 hours after completing both expansions.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Aw, crap. I posted a new response in an edit like an idiot. Ignore this, I guess.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 14, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Delacroix posted:

That has never been an accurate reflection of playtime. It said I had 200 hours of playtime even before I finished act 1. I haven't hit 200 hours after completing both expansions.
Do you let your PS4 enter rest mode with the game running? I believe that throws off the played time.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do you let your PS4 enter rest mode with the game running? I believe that throws off the played time.

I played on the PC. :shobon:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
My playtime seems accurate, if not mildly depressing. Thanks again for that tip.

Also, B&W question: If you choose to be a bad Witcher and let that basilisk live, is that the monster that winds up flying in circles near that area? I'd guess so, since that'd make the most sense, but when I first came across it again in the wild I spent a good minute and a half trying to figure out why I couldn't aggro it. Just wondering since it's sort of hard to make out if that's the same beast while it's airborne.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh. Did I miss something? I just finished the Family Matters quest; I freed the spirit at the Whispering Hillock because it promised to help the children (which I never knew were in danger? the conversation just popped up when talking to it after the crones sent me to kill it), it went and made everyone in the village murder each other. Alright, fine. I went to the Bog with the Baron, fought a Fiend, picked the correct doll, lifted the curse on Anna (who died) and went back to Crow's Perch to find the Baron had hung himself. And then I got a small cutscene saying the kids were safe? When the hell did that happen? Does it just happen offscreen and it's never mentioned again, or did I somehow skip a part of the quest?

And for a question: at which point should I start ignoring sidequests? I have a fuckload of sidequests and contracts, a whole bunch of which are already way below my level (I'm at 12 and I have lvl 6 contracts/sidequests), and it's not like I've been ignoring them, it just seems you get a ton of stuff to do. :saddowns:

Do the main quest up until you get a set of quests called "Brothers In Arms" which is close to a point of no return where several side quests get cut off; then do side quests until you feel like you're going to get burned out, then resume the main quest. Witcher contracts can be done post game but I don't know if side quests get cut off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Also, B&W question: If you choose to be a bad Witcher and let that basilisk live, is that the monster that winds up flying in circles near that area? I'd guess so, since that'd make the most sense, but when I first came across it again in the wild I spent a good minute and a half trying to figure out why I couldn't aggro it. Just wondering since it's sort of hard to make out if that's the same beast while it's airborne.

Yeah. You can't aggro it because it seems the Count was right, it's peaceful. There's a note you can pick up that mentions that the basilisk attacked the camp but just trashed the cargo, bandits finished the people off.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. You can't aggro it because it seems the Count was right, it's peaceful. There's a note you can pick up that mentions that the basilisk attacked the camp but just trashed the cargo, bandits finished the people off.

Well, that actually makes me feel a good bit better about the whole thing. I feel like I should go stand under it and shout how sorry I am for all those bolts I sent its way earlier.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think the crones didn't like that you disobeyed them and killed Anna just to spite you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I really want to like cluster bombs but holy hell are they frustrating. Anything less than a full investment creates unpredictable blind spots in the blast area, which makes stuff like using moon dust against foglets a bit too unreliable. With a full investment you can cause a lot of chaos but it's impossible to land bombs directly on target and the additional delay introduced with the bomb separation can lead to monsters escaping the blast area.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 14, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bombs in general seem a poison in the rear end to use and not really worth it. They're handy to use situational for certain monsters and such but relying on them for damage just seems like a bad idea. Then again you get insane amounts of alcohol to rest with (get the mod to use whichever you have most of, not value based... Then you won't burn through all of your Alcohest while having 200 dwarven spirits.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The damage falls off sharply but the CC is where it's at. Superior Northern Wind with cluster bombs? loving amazing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

You didn't skip a part of the quest. You can find the children later, although you may not run into them. I forget which quest, but I believe it's somewhere in Novigrad. Apparently if you choose not to release the tree horror, it's heavily implied that the crones eat the children, although the Baron's family fares better.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bicyclops posted:

You didn't skip a part of the quest. You can find the children later, although you may not run into them. I forget which quest, but I believe it's somewhere in Novigrad. Apparently if you choose not to release the tree horror, it's heavily implied that the crones eat the children, although the Baron's family fares better.

Fair enough. It just struck me as weird that there's not a single mention of the kids from anyone involved in the final steps of the quest; not by Anna, not by Johnny, and the evil horse just... disappears. Thanks.

You know, after playing (and quitting playing) Witcher 1 and 2 I wasn't expecting liking this game as much as I am. I'm really starting to understand why people rave about it, it's really loving good. Looks incredible, they've streamlined most of what I found cumbersome about 2, and the writing is brilliant, even in little one-off quests that I'm not sure a lot of people will even see. I'm actually kind of mad at the writing since from now on I'll hold every game I play to a ridiculous standard. :(

The voice acting has come a long way from Witcher 1; I just got to the hog hut quest and Geralt's barely-contained mirth when talking to the pig in the hut is utterly amazing.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
these loving guys :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have a bunch of hugely specific and probably annoying Skellige questions:

1) How do I get to the two points of interest between Rogne and the Ancient Crypt? I can't seem to figure out how the hell to get around the mountains from anywhere to get to them.
2) What the heck is up with the Ancient Crypt anyway? It doesn't seem to open.
3) Is the Ruined Inn glitched? I can't seem to clear the Abandoned Site there.
4) There's a little trail of islands in the Southeast corner of Ard Skellige - one of the first ones there has a Hidden Treasure that I simply cannot find, no matter how hard I look. Where is the drat thing?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

I have a bunch of hugely specific and probably annoying Skellige questions:

1) How do I get to the two points of interest between Rogne and the Ancient Crypt? I can't seem to figure out how the hell to get around the mountains from anywhere to get to them.
2) What the heck is up with the Ancient Crypt anyway? It doesn't seem to open.

You explore that crypt as part of the main story quest The Sunstone. Both points of interest are within the crypt. Even if you miss them during the story quest the area remains open.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

You explore that crypt as part of the main story quest The Sunstone. Both points of interest are within the crypt. Even if you miss them during the story quest the area remains open.

Thanks. I found the answer to my last question, too - it was just very obscured by some bushes.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Fair enough. It just struck me as weird that there's not a single mention of the kids from anyone involved in the final steps of the quest; not by Anna, not by Johnny, and the evil horse just... disappears. Thanks.

You know, after playing (and quitting playing) Witcher 1 and 2 I wasn't expecting liking this game as much as I am. I'm really starting to understand why people rave about it, it's really loving good. Looks incredible, they've streamlined most of what I found cumbersome about 2, and the writing is brilliant, even in little one-off quests that I'm not sure a lot of people will even see. I'm actually kind of mad at the writing since from now on I'll hold every game I play to a ridiculous standard. :(

The voice acting has come a long way from Witcher 1; I just got to the hog hut quest and Geralt's barely-contained mirth when talking to the pig in the hut is utterly amazing.

Yeah, a lot of the aftermath of the baron's family questline is just inference based on information you can find in books regarding the former Druid spirit-thing and the Crones. some parts are flat out told, depending on the path you choose but for the most part you're just left to assume. And the small cinematic that plays really hits home the point - sometimes there's just no good choice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Sequence breaking and then going to the isle of mists before helping the baron go into the swamps ends with the happiest ending.

Sure the Baron dies, but presumably Anna works for the Crones a year and is released from their service. None of the townsfolk in Downwarren are murdered, the kids are mentioned in the character section as being saved, even if they don't show up at the orphanage and the Sergeant never takes over. It's really a bit dumb though.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I know it's been discussed in here time and time again, and that others in a similar position have asked very similar questions, but I'm curious about/interested in the book series.

Thing is, with very few exceptions, I don't normally dig high fantasy type stuff, but the Witcherverse just clicked with me and quickly became one of those exceptions. It feels like it's got just the right approach and tone, and a near-perfect ratio of the brutally real and the spectacularly fantastic (I've tried the ASoIaF/GoT stuff because it also seemed to balance these well, but it didn't hold my attention)--I just think it's done really, really well. However, my only experience with the series is this game, a comic or two, and having read a gently caress-ton about it on fan wikis and on here, and I can be a sort of picky reader. From my understanding, the books are closer collections of short stories that together form the quilt of a larger narrative, which sounds like something I can get behind entirely, but my concerns are mostly in how the prose is executed. Less because I don't trust Sapkowski as a writer and more because I will have to rely on translations that I've heard are sometimes sub-par.

And so what I'm wanting is just some way to sample one of these stories, or part of one, whatever. I can't find them at my local libraries, and though I'd be willing to buy them if I knew I'd like them, I can't make that call without having a taste first, ya' know? Is there a (preferably legitimate) way for me to sample some of these books--a story, or something--rather than just blindly ordering something I may not like as much as I do the game? The internet's got a lot of dubious PDF :filez: to offer me but I'd rather not take that avenue for a number of reasons.

tl;dr: I'm considering reading the books but am unsure, still. I want to know how much I'd enjoy them before I invest time/funds/energy. Is there a way I could safely and legitimately find some sorta sample/excerpt from the books so I can see if I love the Witcher IP as much in prose form as I do in game form?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know if you'd get a whole story, but you can see preview pages on Google Books- just type inauthor:"Andrzej Sapkowski" into google and click "books" when the results come up

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

2house2fly posted:

I don't know if you'd get a whole story, but you can see preview pages on Google Books- just type inauthor:"Andrzej Sapkowski" into google and click "books" when the results come up

Fuckin' duh--I can't believe I didn't even try that. Well, that was way easier than I was making it on myself. This route's got exactly what I was asking for, yeah. Thanks for reminding me of the obvious.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Fuzz posted:

Bombs in general seem a poison in the rear end to use and not really worth it. They're handy to use situational for certain monsters and such but relying on them for damage just seems like a bad idea. Then again you get insane amounts of alcohol to rest with (get the mod to use whichever you have most of, not value based... Then you won't burn through all of your Alcohest while having 200 dwarven spirits.

Bombs are incredibly useful and I was always using my dancing star, dragons dream, grapeshot, and Devils puffball bombs.

Like seriously always have dancing stars on you they are great for groups of bandits. also bombs blow up shields you know.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

Bombs are incredibly useful and I was always using my dancing star, dragons dream, grapeshot, and Devils puffball bombs.

Like seriously always have dancing stars on you they are great for groups of bandits. also bombs blow up shields you know.

Yeah but you can also just blast Aard and dodge around and slice dudes in half so

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yes but Aard doesn't turn bandits into red mist

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It just freezes them and blows them up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seriously bombs are incredibly good and you are missing out if you don't use them. Northern wind is the best one

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Terra-da-loo! posted:

tl;dr: I'm considering reading the books but am unsure, still. I want to know how much I'd enjoy them before I invest time/funds/energy. Is there a way I could safely and legitimately find some sorta sample/excerpt from the books so I can see if I love the Witcher IP as much in prose form as I do in game form?

Order the book Last Wish its a bunch of stand alone short stories, if you like that book go ahead and get the main series https://www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Introducing-Witcher/dp/0316029181 its only $8 on Amazon, if its great you have a new series to read, if it sucks then its not so bad.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This Blood and Wine Gwent song is so good. gently caress, all the music is unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJHtH30rs0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wiltsghost posted:

This Blood and Wine Gwent song is so good. gently caress, all the music is unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJHtH30rs0

There is one gwent track that I haven't been able to find on youtube. It only plays during Hearts of Stone when you are at the traveling elf carnival doing the knife throwing trick.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is one gwent track that I haven't been able to find on youtube. It only plays during Hearts of Stone when you are at the traveling elf carnival doing the knife throwing trick.

It doesn't play during gwent but I've heard it elsewhere besides the apple shooting trick, possibly during some chase sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKoN8JTcAGw

Speaking of other things done by Percival, I like both the gwent troll track and the folk version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1oLy1spOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlqg-14K-E

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Delacroix posted:

It doesn't play during gwent but I've heard it elsewhere besides the apple shooting trick, possibly during some chase sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKoN8JTcAGw

Speaking of other things done by Percival, I like both the gwent troll track and the folk version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl1oLy1spOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlqg-14K-E

Perfect. I've been looking all over for that track.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aren't all the witcher 3 songs, including expansions, on Spotify?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

aren't all the witcher 3 songs, including expansions, on Spotify?

Nope. They're missing several tracks and a bunch of the inspired by type music from the first game, or at least they're all mislabeled/not in the album so you'd have to know and find them individually.

Stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/wMoGxqwTfxk (A cappella thing)

https://youtu.be/3i7g7xeLGi0 (insane fiddle solo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm playing through Hearts of Stone and I'm absolutely tickled that halfway through the main quest the game turns into a heist movie. This game is really loving good.