Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
poo poo now we gotta wait til summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So getting dropped through Dario's office probably is the excuse for Matanza missing the next few tapings because of his busted the gently caress open head, I presume

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
SO, for those who didn't follow the spoilers, the first time they did that match, Matanza put his fist through a pane of glass and started spouting blood everywhere. They had to stop everything to take him to the hospital. I've never been clear if there was supposed to be a pane of stage glass and he hit the wrong one or if he just hosed up entirely and Goldberged himself on accident but apparently it was pretty drat horrifying! Luckily he suffered no permanent damage and was ready to work the next set of tapings, which was like a month later, and they re-did the match.

When I said earlier in the thread that I thought maybe the end of this taping meant that the mid-season break was planned, it was that the bleachers was destroyed, the other roof was destroyed, and it ended with Dario kicking everyone out of the Temple. They only showed some of his rant at the crowd, because by the end he was yelling at everyone to GET THE gently caress OUT of his Temple and it was now closed while Rey kind of stood between him and the fans. Good times.

JT Jag posted:

So getting dropped through Dario's office probably is the excuse for Matanza missing the next few tapings because of his busted the gently caress open head, I presume

Nope! He busted open his hands, not his head, and it happened in the prior set of tapings and then they reshot the match. He had already healed up from his injury when they reshot this one. The only thing you might notice was how Vamp mentioned at one point how Mantanza's hands and lower arms were "taped up like baseball bats" because he was here to kill someone --- actually it was probably to cover the still healing stuff!

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 12, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eljackass posted:

poo poo now we gotta wait til summer

That's way longer than I expected! I guess this is now the Season Three Hiatus Thread, and I'll probably make a new thread after the break :smith:

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
Well I'm sure not everyone here has seen every match...If anyone's here, I plan on at least hanging out and shitposting while we watch reruns! Next week is from Season 1, Top of the Ladder and the first Unique Opportunity and both are definitely worth a re-watch :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

eljackass posted:

Well I'm sure not everyone here has seen every match...If anyone's here, I plan on at least hanging out and shitposting while we watch reruns! Next week is from Season 1, Top of the Ladder and the first Unique Opportunity and both are definitely worth a re-watch :)

I'll be around for rewatches at least. And general gossiping about the break, when it returns, when/if Season 4 tapings are scheduled, etc

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Benne posted:

Didn't Cobb and Horus have a bunch of matches on the indies? They seem to work together really well.

I don't know for sure but I kind of doubt it. Cobb almost exclusively worked in NorCal indies apart from LU until breaking out under his own name last summer, and Horus still doesn't work much in the States, which is a shame since he's not formally tied to either AAA or CMLL so he should be much easier to book than guys like Pentagon, Drago, etc.

Cobb's a very good base so it's no surprise to me that he's great with guys who can do spectacular athletic poo poo like Horus and Fenix. I think it's a much better role for him than the matches with Mil and Pentagon I saw at the temple during Season 2 tapings.

e: Writing this post has just made me realize that PWG absolutely needs to run Riddle/Cobb vs. Fenix/Pentagon at BOLA this year.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait, it's really until SUMMER?! :gonk:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/819363928534679552

:smith:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so that was the season finale last night? lol

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mulaney Power Move posted:

so that was the season finale last night? lol

Mid-season finale, the rest of S3 is already taped. Although with a break this long, they might as well just call it 3.5. If it's all the way into actual summer, I think this is a longer break than there was between 2 and 3. Must be some interesting negotiations going on somewhere.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And so, Texano finds the ultimate gimmick: agarrarse una guera.

Being Cortez is suffering lmao. Into the power glove stuff tho.

God i'm so hype for this death match
holy poo poo just carrying dragon over his shoulder without even holding him
god i loving love when they play with the temple's architecture like this
gently caress! There's six minutes left?!
Rey, you're gonna need the dragon balls to bring him back! Rey Vs Muertes among the people! god that was so cool

noooo marty don't. waitwhat. uhhhhhhh. ok.

God i love this show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

StarkRavingMad posted:

When I said earlier in the thread that I thought maybe the end of this taping meant that the mid-season break was planned, it was that the bleachers was destroyed, the other roof was destroyed, and it ended with Dario kicking everyone out of the Temple. They only showed some of his rant at the crowd, because by the end he was yelling at everyone to GET THE gently caress OUT of his Temple and it was now closed while Rey kind of stood between him and the fans. Good times.

Don't worry, Chavo Guerrero will turn face by starting a grassroots campaign to bring the show back and we'll see a bunch of YouTube videos about the Ashes of Lucha Underground.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Gavok posted:

Don't worry, Chavo Guerrero will turn face by starting a grassroots campaign to bring the show back and we'll see a bunch of YouTube videos about the Ashes of Lucha Underground.

A small part of me wants to see if someone could do this angle well.

The rest of me knows it's probably not worth it for anyone to try, because it was lucky to have only halted the momentum Chikara had rather than turn everyone completely off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

StarkRavingMad posted:

"Spider gimmick, that's pretty generic OH GOD WHY IS SEXY STAR ATTACKING ME"

also the believers on the exit side there missed an opportunity, should have sold those gauntlet fist bumps like death :mad:

Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe that Dario already knows it's Castro and he's the one who's been planting the spiders around Sexy Star just to gently caress with him.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rhonne posted:

Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe that Dario already knows it's Castro and he's the one who's been planting the spiders around Sexy Star just to gently caress with him.

Or it's Joey Ryan. Do the cops know that Joey turned? I'm not sure it's been established that Cortez and the Captain know Joey sold them out yet. It should be obvious if they aren't idiots but...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StarkRavingMad posted:

Or it's Joey Ryan. Do the cops know that Joey turned? I'm not sure it's been established that Cortez and the Captain know Joey sold them out yet. It should be obvious if they aren't idiots but...
I don't think they explicitly know that he has flipped to Dario's side, but I think she said she doesn't trust him anymore.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Who was Marty spying on at the end? I thought it was Melissa but it didn't exactly look like her.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Capsaicin posted:

Who was Marty spying on at the end? I thought it was Melissa but it didn't exactly look like her.

It was Melissa.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

^ I laughed so hard when Marty got blackbagged.

The missus and I are about to introduce some friends to the show, any suggestions? I'm thinking All Night Long and one of the Aztec Warfares.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are they dedicated wrestling fans or people who just might like how crazy it is? Because I wouldn't show All Night Long if they're not serious wrestling nerds.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Xand_Man posted:

^ I laughed so hard when Marty got blackbagged.

The missus and I are about to introduce some friends to the show, any suggestions? I'm thinking All Night Long and one of the Aztec Warfares.

From my experience, the first Aztec Warfare is a good starting point to introducing the important characters. From there I'd go to the Fenix/Mil Grave Consequences, which IMO is still the best match of the entire series, but if they're squeamish about blood, you could jump to the first Trios title match with Angelico jumping off the roof.

E: And if you're starting from Season 1 it wouldn't hurt to show a little of the Matanza buildup, since Aztec Warfare 2 is where that whole story pays off huge.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 14, 2017

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are they dedicated wrestling fans or people who just might like how crazy it is? Because I wouldn't show All Night Long if they're not serious wrestling nerds.

Not wrestling nerds, they are pretty dubious about the whole thing. I picked it because it's a great match and a nice self-contained story line.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Aztec Warfare 2 something fun as hell like Mascarita Sagrada vs. Famous B.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Aztec Warfare, Aztec Warfare 2, the end of the Trios Tournament Season 1 (aka Angelico's dive), All Night Long, and Grave Consequences are the obvious choices, but here's a few others to consider if you're just trying to convince them to watch more of the show:

Puma versus Dragon Azteca - Season 2 (6/29/16) - short (only about 10 minutes), sweet, and kind of the essence of the flippy man match, this is a good razzle dazzle match, and it's super hot right from the start

Six to Survive - Season 2 (6/15/16) - it's the whole show, so you could just show them the last two if you think it's too long. Pentagon and Fenix do a great job of "exhausted and fighting to their last breath" here

Cage v Matanza - Season 2 (6/3/16) - one of the best Hoss v Hoss style matches, especially since you get LuchaCage to start

Dante Fox v Killshot - Season 3 (11/23/16) - these two are brutal together, also the Fox v. Killshot v. Crane v. Mariposa match (12/14/16)

Puma v. Mil Muertes - Season 1 Ultima Lucha - I think this match may be Puma's best work on the show

and if they love gore, there's always Vamp v. Pentagon from Ultima Lucha 1

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man I'll show my way out of this conversation but you guys are out of your goddamn minds if you're trying to convert non-wrestle people with "workrate" episodes

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

SO, for those who didn't follow the spoilers, the first time they did that match, Matanza put his fist through a pane of glass and started spouting blood everywhere. They had to stop everything to take him to the hospital. I've never been clear if there was supposed to be a pane of stage glass and he hit the wrong one or if he just hosed up entirely and Goldberged himself on accident but apparently it was pretty drat horrifying! Luckily he suffered no permanent damage and was ready to work the next set of tapings, which was like a month later, and they re-did the match.

So I was at the first taping that got cut short due to Matanza punching the wrong pane of glass. They definitely used some footage from it, specifically the suicide dive with the steel chair step up. I can tell because about 30 seconds into the match Matanza dropped a fake blood applicator (which I assume was to be used in conjunction with the fist through the fake glass spot that went awry.) Dragon Azteca Jr grabbed the applicator and stuck it in his tights but I guess the blood capsule inside had broken and it caused a big spot of blood on the left side of his rear end. You can see it on a few shots in the beginning then his tights are clean in the rest of the match.

Bummer that I didn't get to see that match, it looked like a good one. After Cobb was taken out of the temple they did a house show style dark segment where the Worldwide Underground came out taunting and mooning the crowd. Dragon Azteca Jr and Rey Mysterio came out and beat them then worked the crowd for a bit.

All Night Long was the last event taped that weekend, I'm bummed we have to wait 6 months to see it! I can't wait to see what you guys think!

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 14, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jenkem Delivery posted:

So I was at the first taping that got cut short due to Matanza punching the wrong pane of glass. They definitely used some footage from it, specifically the suicide dive with the steel chair step up. I can tell because about 30 seconds into the match Matanza dropped a fake blood applicator (which I assume was to be used in conjunction with the fist through the fake glass spot that went awry.) Dragon Azteca Jr grabbed the applicator and stuck it in his tights but I guess the blood capsule inside had broken and it caused a big spot of blood on the left side of his rear end. You can see it on a few shots in the beginning then his tights are clean in the rest of the match.

Bummer that I didn't get to see that match, it looked like a good one. After Cobb was taken out of the temple they did a house show style dark segment where the Worldwide Underground came out taunting and mooning the crowd. Dragon Azteca Jr and Rey Mysterio came out and beat them then worked the crowd for a bit.

All Night Long was the last event taped that weekend, I'm bummed we have to wait 6 months to see it! I can't wait to see what you guys think!

The ending of the reshoot of the match was super crazy live. I was in the bleachers on the second to last row of seats, so directly in front of where Azteca went through. We knew something was up because the whole back row was filled with what looked like indie guys/local wrestling students -- basically we could spot they were plants and not the usual "bleacher creatures" as Striker put it. Of course, they were there to protect the gimmicked part of the bleachers up until the last spot, and also to step forward when Matanza came up the bleachers so he could punch them.

Even though I knew they were plants getting punched I still got the hell out of there very quickly when Matanza started slugging guys and throwing them around. Who knows how well he can see out of that mask, and he is a big dude even if he isn't tall!

After Azteca went through, we could look through the hole and see what was up, there was a ton of crash padding down there and guys checking on him. Still a hell of a fall, especially with the wood pieces falling alongside him. After they saw he was safe, they got all the padding out of there for the shot when Rey climbed down so it looked like Azteca landed on concrete.

Then Dario started screaming at everyone to get the gently caress out of his Temple after Matanza went through the office and everyone kind of milled about like "I guess we should probably go" while Rey stood him down. It was a really bizarre, and fun, ending.

I'm excited to see the All Night Long, I heard good things. Guess we'll have to be patient.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man I'll show my way out of this conversation but you guys are out of your goddamn minds if you're trying to convert non-wrestle people with "workrate" episodes

It depends on what type of workrate you're talking about. I think a fast paced match with lots of impressive moves can draw in a non-fan. I used to show people Rey vs Eddy Halloween Havoc.

And honestly? The Pentagon vs Black Lotus Triad wouldn't be the worst episode to show people if they can handle the violence. It's an easy story to explain, you get to see some crazy spots, and see Pentagon. I don't remember who shows up in the backstage stuff (Puma?) but I think it tells you what LU is about short of the magic stuff and having to explain why Vamp is edging

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Melissa Santos was livestreaming on Instagram last night, and she said a Netflix deal is very close and should be finalized soon. I know, I know, we've been hearing that since before Season 2, and it could always fall through again, but Melissa usually knows what's up. Especially now that she's working with Burnett on another show as well.

Might also explain the longer-than-expected midseason break, especially if they are trying to cut a bundle deal that includes other original programming from El Rey (there's reportedly two new original series on El Rey starting up in the summer).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Everything about Dragon Azteca Jr. vs Matanza is super cool, but

Jenkem Delivery posted:

and it caused a big spot of blood on the left side of his rear end.

this should be a thread title.

Man, I hope they get that netflix deal. This show deserves to be seen by every believer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if anyone's ever tried to cut together a LU movie from all the filmed segments and maybe some minimal usage of in-ring footage to explain victories. There's a lot going on. The season 1 finale montage was probably one of the most concise and best produced pieces I've seen in a wrestling show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to cut together a LU movie from all the filmed segments and maybe some minimal usage of in-ring footage to explain victories. There's a lot going on. The season 1 finale montage was probably one of the most concise and best produced pieces I've seen in a wrestling show.

Man, don't make me make two Ashes of Chikara references on the same page.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Once they have a streaming deal in place with Netflix or wherever, I want LU to release DVD sets for each season. And while they're doing that, include the outtake reel of their filming all those backstage segments. Give me Luis Fernandez-Gil cracking up over the stuff he has to say. Give me John Hennigan flubbing his lines. Maybe include a special feature about the live bands they've had at the shows.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Once they have a streaming deal in place with Netflix or wherever, I want LU to release DVD sets for each season. And while they're doing that, include the outtake reel of their filming all those backstage segments. Give me Luis Fernandez-Gil cracking up over the stuff he has to say. Give me John Hennigan flubbing his lines. Maybe include a special feature about the live bands they've had at the shows.

They've all been amazing and I was shocked when I saw Voodoo Glow Skulls up there.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Might also explain the longer-than-expected midseason break, especially if they are trying to cut a bundle deal that includes other original programming from El Rey (there's reportedly two new original series on El Rey starting up in the summer).

I thought there was no real secret there in so much as they won't be filming season 4 until the end of the year/start of next and would rather have a couple of 6 month breaks in between new content than have a whole year between them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

They've all been amazing and I was shocked when I saw Voodoo Glow Skulls up there.

Seriously? they sound awful and appear really gimmicky and niche to me

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Efexeye posted:

Seriously? they sound awful and appear really gimmicky and niche to me

They been around since like 1990. They're a Southern California staple (although they've done world tours).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

They been around since like 1990. They're a Southern California staple (although they've done world tours).

oh, I meant the bands on LU in general, not the Glow Skulls specifically

gonna see FartBarf up there next season probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Maybe include a special feature about the live bands they've had at the shows.
That would be seriously cool.

• Locked thread