Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
This may shock you but some of us aren't bothered by it and react differently to the gameplay than you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Solomonic posted:

It's probably this

but in that guy's defense, every single 'fight a swarm of bees/wasps' encounter in the game is loving Waterloo for me, no matter how many levels I have on them. I fought a group of them for 15 minutes once. I'm terrible at bees.

The wasps are a nightmare and the ones that confuse are the hardest enemy in any final fantasy. I have a stack of 70 or so tricasts in one flask that I use any time I am forced to fight them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I, for one, was endlessly amused by repeatedly spamming X-Zone on everything for a chapter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This may shock you but some of us aren't bothered by it and react differently to the gameplay than you do

I would imagine that applies more to you due to your inability to understand why people dislike the chapter.

It's a bad enough chapter the developers specifically singled it out as something that needs to be fixed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 14, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

I would imagine that applies more to you due to your inability to understand why people dislike the chapter.

It's a bad enough chapter the developers specifically singled it out as something that needs to be fixed.

I never said I didn't understand, it's pretty clear that many people are frustrated by it. However, you comment literally every time it comes up how you don't get how some people like it and or you don't understand why they don't all agree with your view that it sucks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bushiz posted:

The wasps are a nightmare and the ones that confuse are the hardest enemy in any final fantasy. I have a stack of 70 or so tricasts in one flask that I use any time I am forced to fight them.

Prompto > Gravity Well

All the wasps are now dead

Also many people seem to not know you can switch techniques mid battle

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 14, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I never said I didn't understand, it's pretty clear that many people are frustrated by it. However, you comment literally every time it comes up how you don't get how some people like it and or you don't understand why they don't all agree with your view that it sucks.

Because there is no real defense for it, no. It's an actual mess of game design and even if you enjoy the story bits there shouldn't need to be any question about why "the game takes away all your gameplay mechanics and replaces them with a one-hit kill move/hold down button to dodge damage move for a dungeon that is probably the single longest story dungeon in the game." It is not confusing or complex why people dislike it and if you're defending it by going "I like killing everything in the area in one hit" then you should be able to at least acknowledge that still is pretty bad design.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

ImpAtom posted:

It's a overly long and incredibly boring and ugly chapter where most of the game mechanics are taken away from you. I'm not sure why people are surprised it's so hated.

I don't think you understood the difference between "I don't get why people like it" and "I don't get why people are surprised that other people didn't like it"

granted I haven't read most of the thread, but I can see why people wouldn't like it, even though I didn't think it was that bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Chapter 13 is a lot easier to deal with when you know what you're in for, I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have my platinum in this game now and, related to the magic discussion, I basically only used it to farm exp because gathering it from set points on the map is annoying, having to craft it is annoying and the controls aren't especially intuitive when you do it, its friendly fire is annoying, simply aiming it is kind of annoying, it doesn't look especially cool either.

Like kind of every single thing in this game's combat, Dragon's Dogma did it better. If FFXV had Dragon's Dogma level magic, I'd never use anything else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Magic was my "gently caress this, drop dead" option from Chapter 3 onward and fulfilled its duties admirably.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have my platinum in this game now and, related to the magic discussion, I basically only used it to farm exp because gathering it from set points on the map is annoying, having to craft it is annoying and the controls aren't especially intuitive when you do it, its friendly fire is annoying, simply aiming it is kind of annoying, it doesn't look especially cool either.

Like kind of every single thing in this game's combat, Dragon's Dogma did it better. If FFXV had Dragon's Dogma level magic, I'd never use anything else.

I got the season pass from a well meaning relative for Christmas and a lot of useful rings were dumped on my just before Christmas, more AP for A+ combat grades, removal of the stamina bar, more useful pickups for Gladio, and turning off the friendly fire option for magic.

Why the friendly fire ring wasn't a menu option, I don't know. The other rings are nice but not really must-haves.

J-Spot posted:

I just finished chapter 13 which I had gathered was rather unpopular. Did people just not like how long the dungeon was? Other than that I thought it was fine. I was expecting some bullshit to rival Costlemark Tower.

I heard a lot about it before I got there so I wasn't totally blindsided, but I just Holy Dove my way out of trouble, the hiding bits caused me to lose patience.

I wish the Ring of the Lucii felt like a better option outside of that chapter. I like the concept, but it never felt really viable after that chapter, nobody gets X-Zoned, Death takes too long when there are multiple targets, and I guess Holy only works when the ring is currently equipped as your active weapon? The other Royal Arms all give better passives than that ring.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's an item that kills off friendly fire damage from magic and then you can just spam it to your heart's content

XV kinda makes me want to resub to XIV but I figure I'd just get bored again after a little while

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I liked the idea of chapter 13. The atmosphere of the setting, the change of gameplay, noctis at his absolute lowest, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

triple sulk posted:

There's an item that kills off friendly fire damage from magic and then you can just spam it to your heart's content

It costs real life actual not fake legit money dollar pounds

so gently caress that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I wish the Ring of the Lucii felt like a better option outside of that chapter. I like the concept, but it never felt really viable after that chapter, nobody gets X-Zoned, Death takes too long when there are multiple targets, and I guess Holy only works when the ring is currently equipped as your active weapon? The other Royal Arms all give better passives than that ring.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

The ring of lucii actually owns if you go to the Veritas(?) Mart - Ravatogh and then farm the Wyvern hunt there. It kills each one with Death (hold circle without direction) really quickly and gives you a poo poo tonne of gil via wing drops and good exp if you go to eat a Maagho Lasagna beforehand, which will pay for itself if you do the farm.

I'd say it's probably better than save scumming for rare coins to level your bros up because it gets you to a point where you have more money than you'll ever need and good exp, while being generally more interesting because you're doing something.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 14, 2017

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It's a overly long and incredibly boring and ugly chapter where most of the game mechanics are taken away from you. I'm not sure why people are surprised it's so hated.
Just the fact that it was so infamous so I was braced for the worst. It definitely overstayed its welcome but at least there were save points. Having just gone through Costlemark Tower I knew the game was capable of throwing out some bullshit and was just relieved it wasn't anything comparable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bushiz posted:

How do you get that many?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

It costs real life actual not fake legit money dollar pounds

so gently caress that.

its in the season pass and can't be purchased separately.

There is also food at a restaurant that eliminates all elemental damage for the party.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Oxxidation posted:

Magic was my "gently caress this, drop dead" option from Chapter 3 onward and fulfilled its duties admirably.

"Hmmm...10 enemies weak to fire? Ok!"
-casts Quintcast Fira-

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Costlemark wasn't anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be, assuming the cube hub is actually the end and not just like, the midpoint of the area.

Otherwise it's pretty much just Vesperpool with slightly tougher enemies and a tough fight in that one room. I was expecting something way way worse.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It's the menace dungeon that makes it awful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

It's the menace dungeon that makes it awful.

No, the cube maze is pretty horrid. The Menace dungeon at least lets people know what they're getting into, since it's a level 99 quest and anyone who's done any Menace dungeons beforehand will be fully aware of how they're structured.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because there is no real defense for it, no. It's an actual mess of game design and even if you enjoy the story bits there shouldn't need to be any question about why "the game takes away all your gameplay mechanics and replaces them with a one-hit kill move/hold down button to dodge damage move for a dungeon that is probably the single longest story dungeon in the game." It is not confusing or complex why people dislike it and if you're defending it by going "I like killing everything in the area in one hit" then you should be able to at least acknowledge that still is pretty bad design.

You dislike it, I get it, I did not dislike it and in fact enjoyed it for the most part. The loss of skills is thematically appropriate and I'm ok with it although even though you ignore it when I say this I understand why some people don't like that decision.

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think you understood the difference between "I don't get why people like it" and "I don't get why people are surprised that other people didn't like it"

granted I haven't read most of the thread, but I can see why people wouldn't like it, even though I didn't think it was that bad.

I don't know how else to say what I said, again, just above

'I get it, but I disagree'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You dislike it, I get it, I did not dislike it and in fact enjoyed it for the most part. The loss of skills is thematically appropriate and I'm ok with it although even though you ignore it when I say this I understand why some people don't like that decision

Thematically appropriate doesn't make it good gameplay design in terms of being fun or make it hard to understand why people dislike it. Like I honestly don't understand your point or why you jumped on me about it.

"It isn't a surprise people dislike it" isn't "you are bad for liking it you monster!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just beat Costlemark at lvl 1 and it was hell.

Wasted a good supply of megaelixirs. Can't wait for the Menace versions, uuugh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Just beat Costlemark at lvl 1 and it was hell.

Wasted a good supply of megaelixirs. Can't wait for the Menace versions, uuugh

I think you're descending into masochism here.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

c13 is insanely overlong, but I can't bring myself to say I disliked it personally.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm at the point where you're walking around in mines all slow like after the Leviathan stuff and is this gonna be what the game's like for the rest of these 40 hours because I'm not racist against blind people or anything but I'm getting really sick of Gladio yelling at me if I tiptoe for too long at a time.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

No, that part doesn't go on much longer. Also I never found any downsides to just running ahead and ignoring my conscience.

Gladio's DLC will be him dealing with recurring testicular torsion incidents so his attitude makes more sense in context.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"It isn't a surprise people dislike it" isn't "you are bad for liking it you monster!"

"There's no real defense for it" can come off that way, especially as a reaction to "I don't see how it's so bad."

Anyway, since this is two defensive arguments against perceived aggressor judgments, please forgive me for trying to change the subject with this bomb-rear end photo that my Prompto took:

Pollyanna posted:

I'm at the point where you're walking around in mines all slow like after the Leviathan stuff and is this gonna be what the game's like for the rest of these 40 hours because I'm not racist against blind people or anything but I'm getting really sick of Gladio yelling at me if I tiptoe for too long at a time.

Just for the rest of that dungeon. Ignis starts to get better and Gladio chills out a bit, soon.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 15, 2017

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

ImpAtom posted:

I have to disagree with the bolded part completely, and no one is surprised that its hated. With its limited cut scenes, the whole game is basically relying on visual storytelling, and chapter 13 nails that better than any of the game that comes before it. You get SO MUCH information in that chapter, both from the stuff they tell you outright and from the environment/enemy and boss types. Regarding the mechanics changing, I also thought that contributed greatly to the feel of the chapter (and to the storytelling) in that we come to realize that:

1. The ring, which has been just a McGuffin up to this chapter, is actually really powerful, and you come to understand why everyone would want it (Beyond plot reasons)
2. You finally get a sense of urgency and isolation for Noctis. Up until this point he always had his bros to rely on. Suddenly being alone and depowered compared to how he was earlier really illustrates the enormous task and sacrifice he has ahead of him. You're actually not much weaker during the level than you normally are because the ring is so powerful, but having your options so limited makes you feel that you are. I understand that a lot of people don't like that limitation and the lack of combat options, but it's a very good design decision from a story perspective. Both people who like it and don't like it are right, from their own point of view.
3. When you finally get your father's sword it's a huge relief, which is a nice metaphorical way of emphasizing how much his father meant to him, which the game up to that point had not really demonstrated because of bad writing. This is reinforced in the final cutscenes of the game.

Lastly, I had no issue with the length. People are posting about how the level took them 2-3 hours to get through, but I beat it no problem in less than one. I think the mistake people are making is that they try to use the stealth that the game actively pushes you towards. Completely understandable, but I just nuked the poo poo out of everything in like 2 seconds up until I got the sword, and the level did not feel particularly long.

I completely understand why people don't like the level, like if they play it the way the game tells you to (stupid decision by Square to even put that mechanic in) or you ignore all the details and just say it's boring and ugly, which is really, really easy to do because the game hadn't done that much during the ~50 or so hours up to that point. The problem is with the attitude ImpAtom especially but other people have where they don't seem to be able to understand why someone would like the level. Your opinions come across as though you think what you're saying is objective fact, when clearly it isn't since lots of people in this thread have said they enjoyed the level or didn't mind it. You don't like it, and for valid reasons. I do like it, also for valid reasons. People are allowed to have different opinions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm just glad I'm holding off on playing until all the patch content is done (That and I don't have a PS4)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Pirate Captain posted:

I have to disagree with the bolded part completely, and no one is surprised that its hated. With its limited cut scenes, the whole game is basically relying on visual storytelling, and chapter 13 nails that better than any of the game that comes before it. You get SO MUCH information in that chapter, both from the stuff they tell you outright and from the environment/enemy and boss types. Regarding the mechanics changing, I also thought that contributed greatly to the feel of the chapter (and to the storytelling) in that we come to realize that:

1. The ring, which has been just a McGuffin up to this chapter, is actually really powerful, and you come to understand why everyone would want it (Beyond plot reasons)
2. You finally get a sense of urgency and isolation for Noctis. Up until this point he always had his bros to rely on. Suddenly being alone and depowered compared to how he was earlier really illustrates the enormous task and sacrifice he has ahead of him. You're actually not much weaker during the level than you normally are because the ring is so powerful, but having your options so limited makes you feel that you are. I understand that a lot of people don't like that limitation and the lack of combat options, but it's a very good design decision from a story perspective. Both people who like it and don't like it are right, from their own point of view.
3. When you finally get your father's sword it's a huge relief, which is a nice metaphorical way of emphasizing how much his father meant to him, which the game up to that point had not really demonstrated because of bad writing. This is reinforced in the final cutscenes of the game.

Lastly, I had no issue with the length. People are posting about how the level took them 2-3 hours to get through, but I beat it no problem in less than one. I think the mistake people are making is that they try to use the stealth that the game actively pushes you towards. Completely understandable, but I just nuked the poo poo out of everything in like 2 seconds up until I got the sword, and the level did not feel particularly long.

I completely understand why people don't like the level, like if they play it the way the game tells you to (stupid decision by Square to even put that mechanic in) or you ignore all the details and just say it's boring and ugly, which is really, really easy to do because the game hadn't done that much during the ~50 or so hours up to that point. The problem is with the attitude ImpAtom especially but other people have where they don't seem to be able to understand why someone would like the level. Your opinions come across as though you think what you're saying is objective fact, when clearly it isn't since lots of people in this thread have said they enjoyed the level or didn't mind it. You don't like it, and for valid reasons. I do like it, also for valid reasons. People are allowed to have different opinions.

It becomes a lot less tense and thematic when you're like level 70. I did most of the side quest stuff before progressing, and when I got there being solo felt like zero problem at all. I was only relieved to get the sword because it meant I could kill poo poo faster. The ring lets you feel almost invincible because it lets you insta-kill almost everything. If I was like level 30 or so then I'm sure it'd feel a lot more tense and appropriate, but the lack of pacing out the side quests can kill that feeling entirely and instead turns into a bit of a slog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Pirate Captain posted:

Regarding the mechanics changing, I also thought that contributed greatly to the feel of the chapter (and to the storytelling) in that we come to realize that:

1. The ring is infinitely crappier than anything you have at that time. Yeah, it can one-hit kill things for all your MP but that isn't really very impressive, especially if you've been doing sidequests, and there's a reason you don't keep using the ring after you get your other stuff back even though it's available.
2. "Noctis is weak and helpless" mixed with "The ring is so powerful" doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to make noctis weak then it shouldn't have gone hand-in-hand with him accepting the ring. They're contradictory statements and even you admit this. There's no sense of actual powerlessness aside from maybe the very very start because you're oneshotting everything.
3. The sword runs into the same problem. You're not suddenly given a boon. There's no reason to use the sword when you're already oneshotting everything, and you don't get your full combat mechanics back either.

You're arguing about what they intended and I agree that is a cool idea. The problem is the execution is flawed and even you admit that. There's no problem with defending the concept but a strong concept and a strong execution aren't the same thing. If you want to argue it was executed well that's fine and I'd like to hear it, but I think it's going to have a hard time getting past the contradiction of "you're alone and helpless" and "you can oneshot everything," the same problem the game has. (Why does it even have stealth mechanics?)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 15, 2017

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I found it boring and I like ff xiii corridors tbh.

It's fine to like it, it just felt like it was a chapter created mainly to force as much plot as possible into as a little time as possible to finish up the game.
The characters barely react to anything that was supposed to be shocking and multiple main antagonists are tossed aside and given huge off screen fates.

then theres the prompto reveal which has ZERO loving effect on the plot, even the characters don't give a piece of poo poo. And the lack of any foreshadowing or anything make it just feel way too forced, even worse it includes the dropped plot point of one of the evil dude gallery from the start being his father/creator

You can like, love or feel the chapter was the best in game but it was a clear case of "well poo poo gotta wrap this up and get to the next overworld we're probably gonna have to cut, so lets exposition it up a bit, pad it out and finish this up.

It felt like an ordeal because it was slow as poo poo, the sword you get isn't that great just faster than everything before, and your observation skills have ZERO effect on gameplay.

See a soldier with glowing red eyes on the floor?
Well lol get ready for QTE because why would we reward you for noticing details?

See an interesting science lab, thats the only loving thing in this entire empire for some reason? Nah just 2 books that reveal something the characters knew when araena told you 20 hours ago.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 15, 2017

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Chapter 13 was awesome despite the ring being rear end. Just dodge-Holy for the 15 minutes it takes until you get the Fathers Sword and then play like normal with that excellent sword.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Got that 99 treasure item in the 10k Gil pinball machine

I should just sell this right

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Got that 99 treasure item in the 10k Gil pinball machine

I should just sell this right

You can save it to do hilarious damage once but yeah, selling it is way more effective since it means you no longer consider the idea of money.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You can save it to do hilarious damage once but yeah, selling it is way more effective since it means you no longer consider the idea of money.
I checked before selling it and it was going to poo poo out like 50 casts, so it's not really just once.

However 500kilogil is more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I checked before selling it and it was going to poo poo out like 50 casts, so it's not really just once.

However 500kilogil is more useful.

Huh, I completely misremembered. Mostly because yeah I sold it right away.

• Locked thread