Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Well, given how we already know Kinzo treats others, even his own blood family, isn't far out of line. After all, he's the one who initiates this bloody rite with his own descendants. Clearly he's not invested in their happiness or wellbeing. They're tools at best from his perspective.

I was just concerned about how Kinzo being Beatrice would affect Beato x Bato, the most precious ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tender Child Loins posted:

I was just concerned about how Kinzo being Beatrice would affect Beato x Bato, the most precious ship.

like the Titanic :shepicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmm. This must be significant; it's too out-of-place to be a simple aside. So Beatrice could be the alter ego of someone who doesn't necessarily identify as a woman or girl. This person wished for magic power and, in order to enact that wish, took on a feminine persona. Intriguing. Gonna double down on my "Beatrice is a mask" theory, then!

Pretty much every witch seems to be throwing on masks and personas.

Beatrice has deliberately put on shows of being a cruel evil witch, a "redeemed" girl, and then a cruel actor. Lambdadelta puts on a mask of childish ditz, but then becomes a harsh Bern-obessed stalker when she needs to "motivate" Beato, but hearing her thoughts directly shows she's actually a rather thoughtful person who's motivations in helping Beatrice is a mix of curiosity and a desire for a new fellow witch, with the whole "trap Bern" thing being a secondary goal.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Whatever way you go about watching Higurashi, don't do what I did and watch the anime only to find out that you watched season 2 (answers arc) first because you decided not to look up anything about it and missed the subtitle of the show's name. I really hope no one has made the much worse mistake of doing this and seeing anything made after season 2 cause hot drat are those garbage.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty much every witch seems to be throwing on masks and personas.

Beatrice has deliberately put on shows of being a cruel evil witch, a "redeemed" girl, and then a cruel actor. Lambdadelta puts on a mask of childish ditz, but then becomes a harsh Bern-obessed stalker when she needs to "motivate" Beato, but hearing her thoughts directly shows she's actually a rather thoughtful person who's motivations in helping Beatrice is a mix of curiosity and a desire for a new fellow witch, with the whole "trap Bern" thing being a secondary goal.

Let's be clear now, spending time with Bernkastel is never not lambda's number 1 goal.

But yeah, she's actually a pretty complex and interesting person who absolutely exists.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also another interesting thing is that we learn in this TIP is that Beatrice's magic is different then Lambdadelta's and Bernkatsel's.

Witches are discribed as having the power to "create fate" but they can't interfere directly in the human world. So we see Lambdadelta act by instead guaranteeing a person's efforts will succeed as long as they keep trying, while Bernkatsel instead has the ability to just keep trying the same event over and over again until she succeeds (Higurashi spoiler).

Beatrice, on the other hand, has somehow found a way to "create fate" in the human world directly.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 12, 2017

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Dr Pepper posted:

So this is like Battler pulling a Rook off a chessboard and screaming at it.

I want to return to this post from when Battler began arguing with Eva-Beatrice because it gave me an amusing idea for a summary of episode 3 I can now share with you.

Episode 3 in a nutshell:

Beato: You must defeat me in this chess game if you wish to escape this torture but you never will! *cackle*

Batter: drat you! You're a monster!

Beato: Hmm. *picks up a bishop, begins stabbing herself with it.* Oh no. My bishop has betrayed me. And just when I was starting to get morals.

Battler: Beeeaaatrrriiiche! I will avenge your honor! Fight me, vile clergy!

Ange: ...are you loving kidding me?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

But anyway, rambling aside, could someone more familiar with the logical symbols in symbolic logic define what Λ Δ symbolizes? We've got a capital lambda, which is conjunctive, and capital delta, which is change, but I've never actually seen them side by side in any of my courses that touched on logic. I'd like to understand the symbolism of Lambdadelta's name a little better.

In logic? A lambda can also symbolize a set of logical axioms. An axiom is a statement that is taken as true without evidence (a red truth, one might say) in order to form the basis of an argument; it might be that the axiom is unprovable, or it might be that the proof is assumed to make the argument more concise. Lambda specifically refers to the logical part of those axioms (that is, related to rules of logic, like, if A and B, A); there is also a Σ which is the non-logical portion of the axioms. You combine those with rules of inference in order to prove or disprove the other parts of the argument. That means that a lambda forms part of a deductive system in mathematical logic, used to demonstrate proofs. I have seen Δ used as a symbol to indicate the current state of determined by a rule of inference, but usually you don't see both symbols at the same time. (And I fear it might be difficult to get any further into these explanations because it has been a LOOOONG time since logic class.)

As for witches, who have been and remain completely fake, it seems that the definition for people who refer to themselves as witches is "someone who has separated themselves from humanity and no longer has any human limitations on their actions" or, in standard parlance, a sociopath. I will keep this in mind as the story goes on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

As for witches, who have been and remain completely fake, it seems that the definition for people who refer to themselves as witches is "someone who has separated themselves from humanity and no longer has any human limitations on their actions" or, in standard parlance, a sociopath. I will keep this in mind as the story goes on.

Well, it's not like we've really seen any evidence to the contrary. Even Virgilla went all nutso at that last Tea Party.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Symbolic logic is one of those topics I wish I'd spent more time on because it's neat.

Right now w/r/t witches all I can commit to is that they're some aggregate of Other, whatever that Other is. Could be sociopaths, could be anyone.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Witches are, at the very least, avatars for sublimated desires and urges. That's pretty common across media.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Status update: I can definitely confirm that I won't hit that backlog length goal, so look forward to the continuation of the LP on Monday.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay so I had a rough winter term and just caught up through 20 or so pages, and maybe its the rush of spending 14 hours just reading the LP but.... how did Beatrice fool Battler with the Sun and the North Wind/baby face turn after spending basically a week torturing him and his loved ones in a hell-purgatory in the span of 12 hours? Also how did people fall for this when Virgilia literally tells Beatrice what to do, and is refered as the witch's piece several times?

Anyways I'm so late to the party anything I say is kinda meaningless. But going back to the third episode briefly... I was originally a fan of the false name theories around Shannon and Kannon, but particularly for Kannon who comes back to life in the 'witch's story as it would be a spot of dramatic ironty for the suspect who killed Nanjo to lead Jessica away from the murder scene befor disposing of her or dying. But that was before I saw the death timing theories that cropped up, mainly suggesting Hideyoshi as the accomplice who toughs it out a but to support his wife I guess with unclear motives. However the messages in his death. bio refer to a 'she' or something that he thought was dead, this was initially taken to refer to Shannon is still alive theory but I posit this instead, Shannon basically being refered to as dead in the original closed room red body confirmation not by name.

Instead the she and her refered to in Hideyoshi and Nanjo?(I forget) refer to Kyrie who's death blow was being stabbed/shot in the stomach, the bio comments suggesting that it wasnt instantly fatal. Eva colluded with Nanjo and Hideyoshi to initiate the killings, Kyrie and Rudolph confront Hideyoshi but Eva suprises them and it turns into a gunfight. Kyrie survives and shoots Hideyoshi similar to that scene in the 'witch's story, but Eva is too blinded by grief, or madness to realize. Eva and Nanjo later kill Kruass and Natsuhi, Kyrie kills George out of vengance or paranoia, I dont know if Jessica's body having blood all over it means she's been brutally hurt or not, at anyrate maybe dr Nanjo poisoned her and caused all her organs to fail at once or something ridiculous. Kyrie dies failing her vengance ultimately and Battler is shot. Maybe? Who knows.

This is late night phone posting, I tried my best.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 14, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Toalpaz posted:

Okay so I had a rough winter term and just caught up through 20 or so pages, and maybe its the rush of spending 14 hours just reading the LP but.... how did Beatrice fool Battler with the Sun and the North Wind/baby face turn after spending basically a week torturing him and his loved ones in a hell-purgatory in the span of 12 hours? Also how did people fall for this when Virgilia literally tells Beatrice what to do, and is refered as the witch's piece several times?

Basically? I think both the question of how Battler was fooled can be answered by addressing the element that made the joke perfect, and that was the presence of Evatrice, somebody else who was fooled just as hard and lent authenticity to the bit. Virgilia was absolutely in on the joke, and Ronove probably was too, but Evatrice, as portrayed by the chapter, was not, and therefore provided the final touch of getting us to believe something without saying it in red.

Let me unpack this: it's all about timing, you see- when the North Wind and the Sun strategy was told about to Beatrice, the power dynamics of the story that we were familiar with had already shifted: Virgilia had already been introduced as an enemy of Beatrice, been beaten, and pledged her support to Battler. And they had just beaten Beato at the First Twilight a lot more handily than Battler had done himself, and Beato was acting as a lot of us thought she would: actually confused and hurt that she wasn't winning as easily, and this is when the strategy is first introduced. Within this context, it felt like she was getting real advice, which she put into practice soon after, or so we thought. She started introducing Battler to the "wonders of magic" during the Coronation and later when Evatrice started torturing Rosa and Maria, and again, it felt real: it seemed like just the sort of thing a deluded, murderous lunatic like her would think of as "the Sun," to show somebody else somebody getting hurt when they weren't, so her shock when Battler got mad at her and refused to deal with her felt real. it seemed to us that this was the "Sun and Wind" strategy being enacted by someone who poorly understood it, so we didn't notice that the Sun had already been deployed in Virgilia. And then Beato made the deception complete by making Evatrice into a patsy as well, by suddenly changing her attitude and getting Evatrice to think she'd had a "change of heart." See, if Beatrice had continued to play the North Wind, we'd never have gotten anywhere, so she turned Evatrice against her using the ol reverse psychology to not only be as bad as she was the last time but also to torture Beato, which provided the last push. Seeing Beato willing to be tortured down into a heart provided the last push needed for Battler; when you have two opponents, introducing a third force between them is a good way to force an alliance. Besides, it is an old psychological trict to use personal pain, real suffering, to lend authenticity to what you're saying, because who would risk injury and death for a lie?

Hopefully what I'm trying to say gets across; you posted late night, I'm posting early morning, and like I said I ramble sometimes because I'm using the actual process of writing to compose my thoughts... but the really interesting thing is not how complicated the bit was, but that it served the dual purpose of fooling Battler and getting rid of Evatrice, somebody who was as cruel and nasty in her kills as the Golden Witch, but who still "played the game wrong" by actually trying to crush her opponents at once instead of shutting down avenues one by one. If TCL's theory is correct, that means that there is a greater purpose to this game and it is more about solving the mysteries of this place than anything regarding nonexistent witches, because if Beato really wanted to "win" against Battler and keep her promise to Lambda, all she had to do was let Evatrice crush Battler here, and that's that. But instead, she undid Evatrice at the end- and isn't in interesting that the moment Evatrice is out of the picture is the moment the act stops being convincing?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Interestingly, the manga version of Battler VS Evatrice goes into a bit more detail with the murder of Hideyoshi, and Battler's theory is quite similar to Toalpaz's:

Before you consider this explicit confirmation, remember that this is Battler we're talking about.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

ProfessorProf posted:

Interestingly, the manga version of Battler VS Evatrice goes into a bit more detail with the murder of Hideyoshi, and Battler's theory is quite similar to Toalpaz's:

Before you consider this explicit confirmation, remember that this is Battler we're talking about.

If Battler is guesses similarly I'm already less satisfied with my theory.

:colbert:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Yes!! I think that's a really good interpretation of that The North Wind and the Sun dynamic, and it fits really neatly into the concept of abjection as well. On a base level, it means, "I am not B; thus, I am A." It's what the "good cop, bad cop" scenario is based on, too.

It looks like Evatrice was specifically molded into becoming the model of abjection for Battler: she delighted in killing and familicide and represented an extreme amplification of Eva's ambition. Once Beato was able to contrast herself with Evatrice, her "Sun" play became truly effective. And according to the concept of abjection, one's sense of identity with "good" and "humanity" is mainly bolstered by an ideological rejection of and separation from the "bad." Thus, resurgam40's observation that the Sun faded along with Evatrice is very on point.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Well then, if its contrasts is the thing, then how will the Latest Golden Witch compare to the Second? If the whole witch thing is really just people choosing to be separated from normal people as supported by the believe as a witch they aren't bound to the same rules how will this turn out?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

DLord posted:

Well then, if its contrasts is the thing, then how will the Latest Golden Witch compare to the Second? If the whole witch thing is really just people choosing to be separated from normal people as supported by the believe as a witch they aren't bound to the same rules how will this turn out?

Sorry, I got distracted and forgot to follow up on the first part of my argument: I think one of the big themes of Umineko will end up being the marriage and subsequent dissolution of oppositional binaries! That is to say, "fantasy" vs "mystery," "witch" vs "human," "good" vs "evil," "madonna" vs "whore," "lies" vs "truth," and so on. The basic, a priori binary in many hegemonic ideologies is "man" vs "woman," and I think it's no coincidence that our two opposing forces here are embodied and symbolically summed up by Battler and Beatrice. This is bolstered by Lambda's Letter, wherein young (?) Beato confirms that the "witch" is essentially a social construction. The North Wind and the Sun and its resolution is, in my opinion, a symbolic example of what I think is going to happen to the story as a whole. Beato effectively took on both sides of the binary and forcefully illustrated to Battler how subscribing to a Manichaean outlook is not the key to solving this mystery.

So if we want to solve Umineko and come to a real resolution, we need to deconstruct these oppositions, using elements from both the "fantasy" and "mystery" worlds to better our understanding of the mystery and of the players within it. The key is to not honor the separation between the binaries; instead, we need to think about how each informs the other. In recognizing the interplay of both sides of an oppositional binary, we are able to go deeper, to the root of the story. I think the verse from Whitman's "Story of Myself," which has become a rallying cry of sorts for third wave feminists and critical race theorists, is a really perfect way of summing up this kind of anti-essentialist understanding:

quote:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Sorry if this is all hard to parse; I had a lot of coffee and I'm procrastinating on an essay on Chinese migration to Mexico right now. :sweatdrop:

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Toalpaz posted:

Also how did people fall for this when Virgilia literally tells Beatrice what to do, and is refered as the witch's piece several times?
I can't speak for anyone else but personally I forget 90% of each update before the next one. I can't remember a single thing about what Virgilia told Beatrice right now. :v:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
In a moment of weakness, I opened the Umineko wikia and opened random rear end articles and read all of them.

I feel incredibly filthy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sordas Volantyr posted:

In a moment of weakness, I opened the Umineko wikia and opened random rear end articles and read all of them.

Burn this witch!

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I can't imagine you had any idea what half of them were talking about.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Before we start EP4, there's another TIP we can post. This is another fairly short article-style one and it was originally released with the first volume of the Episode 1 manga in November 2008.

There was another TIP between Lambda's Memoirs and this one, but it's a pretty strange one. It's in a format resembling random posts from a 2ch thread and they're talking about some seemingly Umineko-related story someone found inside some other book in a bookstore. It hasn't been translated and I'm not going to bother either as it's not particularly interesting.

This one was originally translated by milkypink at animesuki forums, retranslated by me.

Why are closed room murders so beautiful?

Closed room murders that have taken their puzzle-like qualities to the extreme may reach even the level of art.
Even detectives cannot help but admire their sublimity and that they were permitted to see it first-hand.
This is the greatest joy found in closed room murders.
Sharp-eyed detectives might be suspicious of my work, but the closed room is perfect.
There is nothing to connect me to the crime.

Needless to say, however, closed room murders are inferior to undiscovered murders.
Closed room murders are seen and challenged by detectives.
As perfect as my closed room murders are, a detective whose ingenuity surpasses even my own would no doubt solve that perfection and break it down.
On the other hand, undiscovered murders are left alone by detectives. Because nobody challenges them, they cannot be broken down.
...At first glance, it would seem that they are the pinnacle of "the art of murder".

In my opinion, "the art of murder" is a very appropriate term.
A work only becomes art when it is first shown to the public and evaluated.
No matter how excellent work you may have created, if you do not present your piece in fear of criticism, it decidedly cannot be considered art.

The same could be said of the art of murder.
Since it is clear that incident has to be discovered, leaving it undiscovered is simply out of question.

The murder must be discovered.

Nevertheless, an impossible crime will receive great admiration and make people rack their brains over the beautiful closed room.
Despite being given the right to challenge the closed room and the possibility to break it down, they will fail to do so.
I can observe it up close.
And they will exclaim in chorus:
"It is impossible for a human being to have committed this closed room murder."
At that moment, they have acknowledged me as a being that has surpassed humanity.

What is necessary to make people acknowledge me as a witch is neither fear nor coercion.
It is simply "beauty" and "sublimity".
Only a godlike closed room, a pinnacle of the art of murder, will make them surrender from the bottom of their hearts and recognize me as a witch.

So, I decorate the murder beautifully and let it be discovered.
The art of murder is what allows me to be recognized as a witch.

The curtain has only just risen on this murder drama.
Dear readers, perhaps you will adamantly refuse to acknowledge the impending murders as the crimes of a witch.
You will probably decide they can all definitely be explained with human tricks.

...*cackle*cackle*!
That's what they aaall say, disrespectful whiners! *cackle*cackle*cackle*!
I'll never surrender, I'm certain I can reason this out, and so on. Such brave words pouring from their mouths.
I'm so glad, it's my pleasure! People like that rolling around the floor in agony, desperately putting up defenses and making excuses, I'm really looking forward to all that...!

There has to be a hidden door somewhere, there's a copy of the master key that nobody knows about, whatever.
Stop it. When did I ever promise that this murder drama is an "orthodox mystery"??
Give it up. This murder drama is "fantasy after all"!
Playing detective here is nothing but a waste of time!

Nonetheless, you human supremacists who can still stand in front me insisting that this murder drama is a mystery, welcome to my banquet!
To you human supremacists who have no respect for the multitude of miracles and higher beings of this world, to you who would explain everything away as mere human tricks, I extend my heartfelt invitation!

How soon will you swear to lick my shoes?!
It'll be boring if you surrender too easily. Let me see you hang on until the very end, clinging on to the tiniest straws that make this a mystery, drowning in the sea of the art of murder until you're finally licking my shoes!

Welcome to my banquet.
The Golden Witch Beatrice welcomes you!

Oh, by the way, what's your favorite color?
I'll receive you in a dress and shoes of that color.

Being able to choose the color of the shoes you'll be licking, that's a pretty stylish arrangement, don't you think?
*cackle*cackle*cackle* hyahhyahhahahahahahaha...!!!

tiistai fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 15, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

tiistai posted:

How soon will you swear to lick my shoes?!
It'll be boring if you surrender too easily. Let me see you hang on until the very end, clinging on to tiniest straws that make this a mystery, drowning in the sea of the art of murder until you're finally licking my shoes!

Welcome to my banquet.
The Golden Witch Beatrice welcomes you!

So it's worth noting that the Google Translated rendition of this TIP was shared in spoiler chat before it ended up here. It was magic in its own way.

Let us all suffer in the sea of beautiful homicide art, goons and witches alike. :allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Man, Beatrice is really into shoe licking. I don't think it would be very fun to have someone lick my shoes, but I suppose I've never tried it (and never will).

Also, Beatrice shows her usual logic skillz with her assumption that believing witches exist implies that you will lick their shoes. What if I believe witches exist and also hate them because they're huge jerks?

That's a counterfactual, though, because witches definitely don't exist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Boot-licking/feet-kissing has always been an act of submission - or kissing the hem of your lady's skirt if you look at some medieval romances - she doesn't demand concession, she demands submission from her opponent.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

she literally paraded her boy naked in front of her ladyfriends on a leash ya'll she's not being subtle about it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KataraniSword posted:

So it's worth noting that the Google Translated rendition of this TIP was shared in spoiler chat before it ended up here. It was magic in its own way.

Let us all suffer in the sea of beautiful homicide art, goons and witches alike. :allears:

I remain thoroughly caught up in mystery dwarfs.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

tiistai posted:

Nonetheless, you human supremacists who can still stand in front me insisting that this murder drama is a mystery, welcome to my banquet!
To you human supremacists who have no respect for the multitude of miracles and higher beings of this world, to you who would explain everything away as mere human tricks, I extend my heartfelt invitation!

Pfft. I am reminded of a quote from Shakespeare about the degree to which the lady is protesting.

I'm not going to lick my shoes. I know where they've been! :gonk:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm not going to lick my shoes. I know where they've been! :gonk:

It truly is boring even if you are yucky so easily.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

It truly is boring even if you are yucky so easily.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's clear that Battler is clearly a *Silly Cow* who cannot understand why *Parties" is important because he refuses to *smell* the significance of Witches.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Good morning. This is a surprise, that even now you do not surrender. At this point, even I must expect great things from you.

The game is played not only on the board. Perhaps this time, you should take a small peek beyond its borders? As they say, if you know your enemy, you need not fight a hundred battles.

The difficulty level depends on you. How you have chosen to battle until now will influence the difficulty.

BGM: Doorway of Summer

"Uu-, hahahahahaha! Faaall, faaall, hahahahaha!"

In the lobby of the Niijima airport, Maria dashed around in excitement. Battler's uproar on the plane must have been hilarious.

"Hey, Maria! Cut that out! I'm sorry, Battler-kun. Please don't take it badly."
"What a pathetic guy you are. Even with that huge body, you still can't handle vehicles?"
"Ah, shut up... All humans have one or two things they can't handle..."
"Battler-kun, why don't you come with your aunt on an overseas trip sometime soon? How about Europe? I'm sure you could manage a half-day trip on a plane. *giggle*giggle*giggle*!"
"...Stop it, Mother. Battler-kun's dislike for vehicles is probably genetic."
"Oh, you mean Asumu-san?"
"...For some reason, she just couldn't handle vehicles. Pretty much anything other than a bicycle or a car. Whenever we tried to go far away, that woman was so annoying with the 'not this, not that, I'm scared, I'm scared, fall, fall, gyaah, gyaah'."
"Children tend to learn that things their parents can't handle are dangerous. I'm sure Battler-kun saw Asumu-san doing something like that and learned that vehicles are scary."
"*giggle*giggle* So it's Asumu-san's genes then, is it?"
"Who knows. Those would be some pretty annoying genes. That's enough talking about Asumu. Right now, you're the one who's here. Right?"
"...You're right, sorry."
"Heeey, the cars are here! Exactly three of them. Get in, get in!"
"Fall, faaall!! Where's the parachuuute, where's the parachuuute?!! Uu-uu-, *giggle*!!"
"Why you little!! Hold on, hold on, stop right there! I'll sentence you to the little girl tickle punishmeeent!!"
"Heheheheheh. Being in high spirits is such a wonderful thing. Without Battler-kun and Maria-chan, the atmosphere in that plane would have been pretty grim."
"Thanks. I'll assume you mean that literally. Hey, brats! The taxis are here! You can play around later."
"Uu-uu-!! Taxiii, taxiii!! I'm getting in fiiirst! *giggle*!!"
"Hey! Maria, and you too, Battler-kun, stop fooling around! You'll bump into someone!"

The tone of Aunt Rosa's voice grew a little frightening.

"Oh, sorry..."
"Battler-kun, you guys are going in that car. You're keeping them waiting."

After George urged him to hurry on, Battler apologized to the person he had bumped into and ran up to his parents, who were telling him to come quickly. With a clunking sound, the doors on the three taxis were shut one after another, and they departed for the harbor...

As their taxis dashed away... The entire world grew suddenly dull... and slowed to a halt.

BGM: Melody (instrumental)

People and machines and clock hands, even the dust dancing in the wind, were frozen. Some people who were walking froze with one leg still in the air. Scraps of paper dancing in the wind were pinned in midair, frozen in place.

...Then, among the shadows standing still in this unmoving world, a single one stirred.

Though she had moved, it was a truly subtle thing. Her gaze dropped, her shoulders lowered a miniscule amount, and she sighed. That was all. In a normal world, that probably wouldn't even be taken as movement, but in this still world, it looked very out of place.

...Then, something else moved. It was a black cat wandering around the shadows near the taxi rank. It came up right behind the girl... and leisurely changed its form into that of a Human. This was no cat. It was a witch.

Of course, the girl was also a witch. As the witch stood still, her gaze still downwards, she muttered...

"You cannot. On October 4, 1986, you are not here."
"...If I were, would stopping everyone really have been possible...?"
"Well, I can't imagine what a six-year-old girl could do to make them turn back. Still, that's right. If you were in this place, the probability wouldn't have been zero. Whenever there's a probability greater than zero, I can seek out a miracle."
"...If I hadn't been sick, and they hadn't left me behind..."

With her head facing downwards, the witch tightened her fists... They were trembling very slightly.

"Thanks for being patronizing. I know that. I know that just seeing Father, Mother, and Onii-chan healthy like this... even that alone... is a spectacular miracle..."

Ange had tried to stand in the way of her family, attempting to stop them from leaving the airport... and heading towards Rokkenjima. However, it was impossible for her to exist in October 4, 1986, so she couldn't do it. Even though her brother had only bumped into her and apologized... Even though he hadn't realized she was his own little sister, it had been such a miracle... that she could cry...

"...Sorry about the sarcasm. I won't waste the miracle you've given me."
"I'm glad to hear it. Come, let us go with them. To Rokkenjima. All of the pieces are already gathered. The curtain will open on the fourth game. By this time, Beato and Battler will already be seated."

...What happened on that day? I'll expose it. I'll learn what it is. And I'll bring them back...!

As she stood there with her fists still clenched, she surely turned her face up to the heavens. A single teardrop from the depths of her eyes dripped down into the air.

:siren:Video: Opening:siren:

LET'S PLAY UMINEKO NO NAKU KORO NI, EPISODE 4: ALLIANCE OF THE GOLDEN WITCH

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Welcome back, thread! The profile page has been updated as we leap into a new adventure.

Alliance will reveal all that is needed to reach the truth of this game - the rest will depend on the determination of the reader.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
We all know why it's bad though, it's a visual novel. That was never really in question. We also know the solution to the mystery of theorycrafting dumps (it was autism, in the garden, with a bludgeon).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DLord
Apr 28, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Welcome back, thread! The profile page has been updated as we leap into a new adventure.

Alliance will reveal all that is needed to reach the truth of this game - the rest will depend on the determination of the reader.

Ummm, there is a little bit of spoiler in the profile page, in the witch side. You may want to fix that quick.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

DLord posted:

Ummm, there is a little bit of spoiler in the profile page, in the witch side. You may want to fix that quick.

I genuinely can't tell what you're referring to, but I went ahead and tweaked it to have the profiles as they are at the end of this update instead of how they are at the start of the next update, one line later.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I had blocked this user years ago due to their inability to troll in a humorous fashion. Years later, and they still post on the same level of tiresome and unfunny. Aren't people supposed to improve, not stagnate, as time goes by?

Where is meta Battler in all of this? Has he been through so many loops that he is skipping the non-Rokkenjima segments and heading straight towards the murders? Ange seems pretty cool so far though. I'm looking forward to what this extremely jaded person is going to mix things up.

It's suspicious though that 6 year old Ange got sick and bedbound exactly one day before the family conference. Is it possible though that either Kyrie or Rudolf loaded her up with a whole bunch of laxatives on purpose the day before the trip, so that way she wouldn’t be around for the horrible events of Rokkenjima? That theory of course assumes that Kyrie and Rudolf knew ahead of time that something was going to happen. Perhaps they had a plan that they wanted to do during the conference, something that would force the other siblings' hands for the inheritance.

I'm not saying that they planned the Beatrice deal and murders. Just their own scheme to end once and for all the debates about the family inheritance.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EagerSleeper posted:

I had blocked this user years ago due to their inability to troll in a humorous fashion. Years later, and they still post on the same level of tiresome and unfunny. Aren't people supposed to improve, not stagnate, as time goes by?

Look, even witches struggle with stagnation. Don't give too much grief to a human who can't be expected to do better.

• Locked thread