Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Played a warden to about lvl 50 and I always used a spear. Simply for the look of the thing, couldn't tell you which worked better but the spear looks so cool. I'd use a spear on my burg if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

extra stout posted:

If you barter for 19 starlit crystals and need something else to do your task will be to accept your award for person who got the most yule loot in the history of time

Could only got 13 - sorry to disappoint.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

moebius2778 posted:

Try here. Also, see the legacy indices as legacies may change post imbuement.

You'll probably want at least 19 starlits. I believe the current max rank for the default legacy/DPS legacy is 43.

:catstare:

Man that's a lot of goddamn grinding.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The epic questline grants a handful as rewards, which I guess is their admission that yeah, that's a lot of grinding.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Clarence posted:

Could only got 13 - sorry to disappoint.

What was your secret? Or did you just have loads stocked up? Aren't they 180 tokens each or so?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
120 each. Inn league quests give you a star lit every other day. Regular yule quests give you one every 2-3 days. It adds up quick.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Oh and don't forget the extra 8 quests from the newbie areas plus two races.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Don't forget that you can do Inn League and Ale Association simultaneously. There's a nice guide for optimum routeing here .

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So this is starting in Bree in about 2 hours, apparently with some dev involvement. I'll be checking it out!

edit:

Surprisingly huge turnout, lots of people ingame, and over 300 people listening in on Twitch. I enjoyed the deep-dive into the text, even if I didn't agree with everything the guy said. It was pleasant to listen to while doing some deeds. Heartening that so many people are big enough fans of the lore and books to have taken 2 hours of their night to drop in.

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 4, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm up to the point that I can get my first warsteed.

Is there, like, a warsteed FAQ at all? Which one's the best option for a captain? I assume lighter ones go faster but are less tough. Does riding one make me less tough, or just it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Bramble posted:

So this is starting in Bree in about 2 hours, apparently with some dev involvement. I'll be checking it out!

edit:

Surprisingly huge turnout, lots of people ingame, and over 300 people listening in on Twitch. I enjoyed the deep-dive into the text, even if I didn't agree with everything the guy said. It was pleasant to listen to while doing some deeds. Heartening that so many people are big enough fans of the lore and books to have taken 2 hours of their night to drop in.

That's really cool. Pity I'm asleep at those hours.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

extra stout posted:

What was your secret? Or did you just have loads stocked up? Aren't they 180 tokens each or so?

Had about 1600 tokens from previous festivals. For the last couple of years I've been logging on for festivals and not much else.

Must get around to starting the epic quests at some point...

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Prism posted:

Is there, like, a warsteed FAQ at all? Which one's the best option for a captain? I assume lighter ones go faster but are less tough. Does riding one make me less tough, or just it?
I don't know what the mounted skills are for a captain but if they're mostly close-range attacks I'd go with a heavy steed. You could try medium and if you find yourself getting unhorsed a lot switch up to heavy. If your attacks are mostly long-range you could probably try a light steed, but I find them a hassle to control.

Also I probably don't know what I'm talking about; I never do anything that requires skilled mounted combat so I mostly faceroll it and do okay. It takes getting used to because it's so different from regular combat but it's not that bad and even if you really don't like it, it's only really required in a few places.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

Get a light warsteed as a captain and give it all the ability and mobility you can. Make full use of the fact we have ranged abilities including one with both absurd range and aoe radius. Run tight circles around enemies which will let you use most/all the melee skills too while rarely, if ever, being in actual melee range. At 75 I went from "man captain is slow and tedious to level" to "man I just wiped out that entire warcamp in about a minute" as a captain with mounted combat. Captains can also solo any non-mounted warbands pretty easily, but some will be pretty slow and tedious on your own.

e: A pure tank setup on a heavy steed might be fine too, I never bothered trying it because going with a light steed and staying mobile let me murder things with impunity.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I kind of naturally picked a halfway point: the heavy mount but all attack, so I can scream things to death.

Working well so far.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Another "remind me what the hell I do" post...my 3rd age LIs get replaced at some point whenever I get something higher age, right? But once I get a 1st age I can just keep empowering it up and up and up forever and always?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Trebuchet King posted:

Another "remind me what the hell I do" post...my 3rd age LIs get replaced at some point whenever I get something higher age, right? But once I get a 1st age I can just keep empowering it up and up and up forever and always?

Legendary items don't go above 100, and they don't get better than a first age: So just play for fun and don't worry too much about it as an investment until you get a level 100 first age, then feel free to check the OP and the follow up post, I linked a guide and a YouTube about this if I recall. I can also help, but those questions are easier in game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Trebuchet King posted:

To add on to what extra stout said:

From Moria to level 100, you'll get third age LIs. At each level cap in the game, you could make 2nd and 1st age weapons (via crafting). You keep getting higher third age LIs (from drops and whatever), so you'll keep replacing even 1st agers after the gap grows a bit.

At 100, you IMBUE your LI. Then you have an ILI! After that you never replace. You grow it forever. You collect *hundreds* of Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment to unlock legacy tiers, each level update I think they give you a few legacy tiers unlocked for free, and more you unlock with scrolls. Same for the main stat (like DPS for weapons). You can change out legacies with a very rare / expensive item or with store points. Honestly it's a huge grind designed purely to drive you to the store. But, you can get about 10 scrolls a day pretty easily with about 40 mins of work. The main stat you can get easy during holiday events (otherwise grind BBs is how I did it before).

But yeah, as stout said, pre-100 I'd say just take the best third ager you have and replace it pretty often, and not worry about it. Then read the guides.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're level 100-105: Get a 1st Age LI and Imbue it after you max out its legacies.

If you're between Moria - 100: You can replace your usual 3rd Ager with a 2nd or 1st Ager if/when the opportunity presents itself. 2nd Ages will exist at any 5 level interval, 1st Agers will only be 65, 75, 85, 95 & 100. 2nd Age symbols are so cheap and easy to get that I say go for it if you get the chance. 1st Age symbols are expensive enough to warrant some thinking about before investing in one. Remember, this game is about the journey, so racing to max level and waiting until 100-105 before you even look at your LIs isn't necessarily the best advice.

I like to swap out for brand new 1st Agers every 10 levels, but I know the system and know what I'm getting myself into. YMMV.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Thanks, LI level was the factor I was forgetting about.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Yo, gently caress theater.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Cordovan interview

Update 20 next month, Mordor expansion in the second half of the year. Glad to see they have some solid plans after the move to Standing Stone.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What's the grind for getting a level 100 first age like compared to getting a second age? This is for a casual player...

I'm guessing a 1st age is just not worth the bother.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're lvl 100-105, you definitely want to get a pair of 1st Agers. A Blemished Symbol of the Elder King usually goes for 125g+ on Landroval, IIRC. It's the single most worthwhile investment you could possibly make with in-game gold. I bought one for my main, and I've been trying to earn one the (super loving)hard way by working on the Central Gondor metadeed. I actually made significant progress on that just last night, because I joined a full group that took down every single Roaming Threat and Warband in Central Gondor. Completed 2 deeds, and maxed out rep with the second of 3 factions needed for the metadeed.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Vanguard_of_Central_Gondor

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks.

Would this be the right order to do things? (for a weapon in this instance) -

Get symbol and craft (or have crafted) a first age weapon
Apply a scroll of delving (10 more levels for the item) to 1st age
Apply crystal of remembrance (extra legacy slot) to 1st age
Grind level 100 third-agers to get legacy replacement scrolls (number depending on what the first age came with) and apply to 1st age
Apply scrolls of empowerment to upgrade legacies below max (once 1st age is max level)
Imbue
Apply Anfalas Star-lit Crystals to increase DPS level cap

Looks like blemished symbols are going for 200g minimum, which about clears me out - but I never spend anything anyway so what the heck!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

Grind level 100 third-agers to get legacy replacement scrolls (number depending on what the first age came with) and apply to 1st age
Apply scrolls of empowerment to upgrade legacies below max (once 1st age is max level)
Imbue

Looks like blemished symbols are going for 200g minimum, which about clears me out - but I never spend anything anyway so what the heck!

Exactly. I had to buy 100g worth of Empowerment scrolls to get my legacies maxed out before I imbued.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

Imbue

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to stress as much about maxing out every single thing before imbuing.

Star-lit Crystal - these unlock DPS/stat rank. It doesn't matter if you do it before/after imbue. End result is the same.
Crystal of Remembrance - same deal. Actually, it may even help to wait on this to post-imbue, that way you don't have to worry about making sure you pick a legacy that isn't switched to something that's garbage for your class post-imbument. There *might* be something about having a higher base soft cap on this legacy though if you do it before, but we're talking about a difference of a Scroll of Empowerment realistically. And since you'll need well over 100, meh.
Scrolls of Empowerment - work the same before or after. Doesn't really matter.

The biggest thing for someone who is feeling overwhelmed that I'd mention is:
-Make sure you get the legacies you want set up first. Crystal of Remembrance (or the MC cost to replace) after imbuement is pretty expensive. Have those figured out by level 30, upgrade the tier on the best ones when reforging.
-Getting a first ager is nice because now your weapon will always be gold! Other than that, it's just the passive stats that'll never go up. Other than that, a TA and FA both can be equal after imbuing.
-Level it up to 70, as it's super easy to do that, and will save you some Scrolls of Empowerment.

I've found the easiest ways to get SOE are:
-Daily FI (1-2 per run, supposedly you can get 3 from a single box, never seen it), so 20-30 mins = 2-4
-MT dailies (Smith's and whichever quest is inside Minas Tirith itself, the coin ratio on the last one is kinda doodoo, but you can add it for more), each set takes maybe 15-20 minutes, so 30-40 mins = 6
-Marks/meds
-Buying with gold (10/each seems to be the standard, if you bid on auctions and watch world chat you can find them for cheaper here and there)

Here's the list of how legacies change post-imbuement:
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?568084-Update-16-Legacy-Changes-and-Updates-Full-List

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Zao is mostly right as usual, the only changes that I can post (but not confirm because I can't find the forum post) is that they did once write that they removed some of the 'advantages' or fears rather involved with imbueing an item. And yes you can use your delving and your crystal of rememberance right away on the new item, I've been hoarding items for my bear for a year and just finally hit 100, if you add the crystal before you max it's level the legacy will just be called "New Legacy Slot" and I would imagine once you level up that item it will let you choose a legacy to replace that empty one with.

I'm pretty sure they changed maxing out scrolls before you imbue, but I don't really need to imbue right away and I can't confirm it, so I'm going to wait too. If you need someone to run the featured instance with daily, add Grodhir to friends. The featured instance this week is Iorbar's Peak, so most classes can solo the 101 version and then your group will finish the 105 version in like eight minutes, it's amazing.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

Zao is mostly right as usual, the only changes that I can post (but not confirm because I can't find the forum post) is that they did once write that they removed some of the 'advantages' or fears rather involved with imbueing an item. And yes you can use your delving and your crystal of rememberance right away on the new item, I've been hoarding items for my bear for a year and just finally hit 100, if you add the crystal before you max it's level the legacy will just be called "New Legacy Slot" and I would imagine once you level up that item it will let you choose a legacy to replace that empty one with.

I think pre-imbuement, you'll have to use a legacy replacement scroll, but the new legacy slot is a major legacy, so you can replace it with any legacy. Post-imbuement, you can just choose what legacy to slot into it. (It's the same UI as replacing a legacy, it just doesn't cost anything to replace.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So the 'we've been "acquired" by a new company we set up' email means this game is about to die, right?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

So the 'we've been "acquired" by a new company we set up' email means this game is about to die, right?

I vaguely remember playing LoTRO with you when you were a cool poster, and now the only memory I have of that name is that for three years now you post in this thread like a dude who breaks up with a girl, but then still feels incomplete and has to message her what new thing you're doing every month

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Actually, it feels like everything is quite stable atm. The full blown Morder ~EXPANSION~ will be coming out in the second half of the year, and there's even talk of new character models!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

I vaguely remember playing LoTRO with you when you were a cool poster, and now the only memory I have of that name is that for three years now you post in this thread like a dude who breaks up with a girl, but then still feels incomplete and has to message her what new thing you're doing every month

She emailed me first, man. What am I supposed to think?

Brave New World posted:

Actually, it feels like everything is quite stable atm. The full blown Morder ~EXPANSION~ will be coming out in the second half of the year, and there's even talk of new character models!

I've never had a problem with the character models. It's the UI that's intolerable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i gave this a try a long time ago and im gonna try it again. i mostly just want to see the poo poo in middle-earth since im a huge Tolkien nerd

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

eonwe posted:

i gave this a try a long time ago and im gonna try it again. i mostly just want to see the poo poo in middle-earth since im a huge Tolkien nerd

its actually really good! Its the first MMO where I have not felt a mad rush to the max level. I'm just having fun wandering around and doing quests.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Clarence posted:

Have you already bought your symbol? Totally unrelated, what's your toon name? Just wondering...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Finally finished Bingo Boffin yesterday. :3

It wasn't perfect, but the wiki solved any annoying parts, heh. That was a really fun series though, got to visit a lot of the world, and got a ton of pets, and some cool house deco items out of it.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm thinking of picking this up, but the wiki seems to have pretty limited info on how the various classes play. Could somebody give me a rundown?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm thinking of picking this up, but the wiki seems to have pretty limited info on how the various classes play. Could somebody give me a rundown?

It depends on whether you are planning to play primarily solo or if you have friends coming with you to group up. I gave this rundown a while back to someone asking about how the classes played solo.

flowinprose posted:

Race really doesn't matter much at all, because the bonuses and abilities are all really really minor effects on the game. The classes do have race restrictions, so the class you pick will determine your race more than anything.

For a solo run it really doesn't matter what you pick, all the classes are completely viable solo. If you don't like to have to micromanage much, then I would avoid warden as they are probably the most complicated to play. If you like versatility, then Lore-Master or Burglar are probably the best two in that category. If you like never ever dying unless you are pretty much trying to, then guardian would be a good choice (or the Warden or Beorning, but I haven't played Beorning so I can't comment much). The slowest leveling classes for solo play are probably guardian and captain, but this is not a game where leveling speed should really be a big focus, especially for a new player. The journey to max level is the most enjoyable thing in this game in my opinion, so there's no reason to rush it. The most "convenient" classes for solo play are probably Hunter or Warden simply for the fact that they get fast-travel skills to almost every major city in the game. If you like to crank out big damage numbers on lots of targets, then Champion is your best bet. If you like to crank out even bigger damage numbers on single targets, then Hunter or Rune-Keeper are great. If you like to be sneaky, then Burglars are the stealthy class.

So take your pick.

My personal favorite class is the Lore-Master.

Basically:
Guardian is mainly a tank, Warden, Beorning, and to an extent Champion and Captain can also tank/off tank.
Hunters, Champions and Runekeepers are the main DPS. All classes can spec to do more damage to some extent if you already have the primary class roles filled.
Champions in particular are AOE DPS extraordinaire
Hunters also can do quite a bit of crowd control.
Minstrels and Runekeepers are healers (yes, Runekeepers can do both, but not at the same time)
Captains are like super support/buffing, with some off-healing.
Burglars are debuffers/crowd control, with a unique trait of starting fellowship maneuvers which is like a team attack in a group (not applicable to solo play).
Loremasters are debuffer/crowd control/pet class, can also do some spot healing and party debuff removal.

I'll be honest I haven't played hardly at all since Beornings came out, but my understanding is that they are a sort of Tank/self healing class (that maybe can also provide some healing to the party?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

flowinprose posted:

It depends on whether you are planning to play primarily solo or if you have friends coming with you to group up. I gave this rundown a while back to someone asking about how the classes played solo.

Basically:
Guardian is mainly a tank, Warden, Beorning, and to an extent Champion and Captain can also tank/off tank.
Hunters, Champions and Runekeepers are the main DPS. All classes can spec to do more damage to some extent if you already have the primary class roles filled.
Champions in particular are AOE DPS extraordinaire
Hunters also can do quite a bit of crowd control.
Minstrels and Runekeepers are healers (yes, Runekeepers can do both, but not at the same time)
Captains are like super support/buffing, with some off-healing.
Burglars are debuffers/crowd control, with a unique trait of starting fellowship maneuvers which is like a team attack in a group (not applicable to solo play).
Loremasters are debuffer/crowd control/pet class, can also do some spot healing and party debuff removal.

I'll be honest I haven't played hardly at all since Beornings came out, but my understanding is that they are a sort of Tank/self healing class (that maybe can also provide some healing to the party?)

Cool thank you! I'll probably be solo for now, and I play ranged DPS in most MMOs I've played so I'll give Hunter a shot.