Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

vulturesrow posted:

So who are the"go to" woodworking guys on YouTube?

What do you want to build? Hand or power tools? Experience level?

The last several videos I watched were by the wood whisperer, wood by wright, David Barron, and Homestead Heritage School of Woodworking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The tote on my #5 has always been broken, with the plastic handle cracked around the bottom screw from over-tightening.
After getting my walnut I finally had some nice material to make a new one which matched the dovetail daw I made a few weeks ago. I used the Lee Valley plans which were excellent, though I wish I had have made it a bit bigger rather than following the plans to the letter. Maybe I'll do that for some of my other planes...

(images are broken till I install an SSL cert on my site, whoops. )

http://graniteoctopus.com/media/images/IMG_4338.original.jpg
Holes are bored and rough outline done on the bandsaw

http://graniteoctopus.com/media/images/IMG_4341.original.jpg
Shaping done with some rasps, files and sandpaper, and first coat of shellac

http://graniteoctopus.com/media/images/IMG_4345.original.jpg
Mounted! A lot more secure than the whole handle. Not bad for an afternoon!

It's a really great project for someone new to carving I think, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it as a project for any experience level woodworker. Hardest part was probably boring the main hole since it has to be perfectly straight, and you have to come at it from both sizes. I spent more time than usual in stock preparation to make sure both top and bottom edges were perfectly square and co-planaer. I had to borrow a friends drill press as well since I wasn't confident doing this with a hand drill.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
On YouTube: I really like Ishitani Furniture if I just want to chill and watch something woodworking related. It's a lot more power tool centric than my shop, and there is no talking, but the production values are high and their work is really top notch.

I don't want to be a hater or unkind to woodworking YouTubers, especially since I want to make some videos myself, but Wormil is right about YouTube having a real lack of "fine woodworking" type contributors. The folks who can do high production value and high skill work are all still doing DVDs as the viewer base for this type of video is way too small to make it worthwhile based on YouTube ad revenue. The videos that appeal to a wide enough audience to make YouTube worthwhile are mostly DIY/Maker focused if they have high production values (e.g. Laura Kampf) or "making shop focused" where the production values are much lower. Of all of the "making shop" type videos I probably like Stumpy Nubs the best, but I generally don't spend a lot of time on these types of channels.

It seems like the high production value YouTubers use it as a means of marketing their own work/shop, to drive new business, rather than making their living from YouTube ad revenue.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Spazz posted:

The bearings all need to be broken out, cleaned up, and repacked with fresh grease. A few of them won't even spin freely since they are so clogged with sawdust. I was going to repack with general purpose grease unless someone else has a recommendation on a specific brand.

Getting the arbor nut off was fun. Took me two hardware trips to realize 7/8 was too small, 1" was too big, but 15/16" was juuuuust right. Now I'm struggling with pulling the bearing off the 8" shaft since the 3 jaw puller I have doesn't go deep enough to pull it up. Any guidance on that is greatly appreciated.

Consider replacing the open bearings with shielded versions of the same spec. Hopefully there are some numbers you can google to look up the exact size/load/rpm specs and you can find a replacement from an easy vendor like Mcmaster, Zoro or MSC. Otherwise, scroll through a Timkin catalog and find a distributor.

Also, replacing the bearings opens up the destructive removal option and you can use an abrasive cutoff disk to cut through the races and peel them from shaft.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

It always seemed a bit much to have 2 words for what amounts to the same thing but I suppose it's handy if you are giving instructions to an apprentice ... maybe? A rabbet is a rabbet regardless of grain orientation.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, I didn't even consider he was using 2 words for the same thing.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah this is what I was thinking, I didn't even consider he was using 2 words for the same thing.

He's not from what I read. A rabbet is a non housed relief joint located at the edge of a board irrespective of grain direction.

Why our woodworking ancestors decided they needed separate words for cross grain and with the grain housed joints, I.e. dado and groove, is lost to history. But the convention remains.

A more interesting argument to me: at what size does a mortise become a stopped-dado or stopped-groove?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

He's not from what I read. A rabbet is a non housed relief joint located at the edge of a board irrespective of grain direction.

Why our woodworking ancestors decided they needed separate words for cross grain and with the grain housed joints, I.e. dado and groove, is lost to history. But the convention remains.

A more interesting argument to me: at what size does a mortise become a stopped-dado or stopped-groove?

Right. Hadn't had my :coffee: yet. To me a dado is not an edge cut, it's across the face of a board. But w/e :shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bred posted:

Consider replacing the open bearings with shielded versions of the same spec. Hopefully there are some numbers you can google to look up the exact size/load/rpm specs and you can find a replacement from an easy vendor like Mcmaster, Zoro or MSC. Otherwise, scroll through a Timkin catalog and find a distributor.

I've had really good luck buying bearings on eBay. I know it sounds sketchy but I've gotten good deals on high quality American, Japanese, etc., bearings that are NOS or overstock.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

GEMorris posted:

That's the same one I built, there is a set of plans floating around that is both that sawbench and a smaller bench that nests inside/under it when not in use. That's what I built and I find them invaluable. The one criticism you'll hear of that style is the difficulty of performing long rips on them as the sawblade can run into the canted legs. I don't generally rip with a handsaw so it has never been an issue for me. I think the split top ones solve this issue, but are imo quite ugly.

I found a set of plans here: https://blog.lostartpress.com/2008/02/17/free-construction-drawings-for-the-2008-sawbench/ that look buildable at my current skill level, so I am going to try and adjust these drawings a bit to be able to pick up 1 or 2 2x10's at Lowes and cut them down to make it work. I really need to find a hardwood / lumber yard around here, but the lack of transport makes things tough unless I need to purchase enough lumber to rent a U-haul for a few hours.

vulturesrow posted:

So who are the"go to" woodworking guys on YouTube?

I like watching some of Matt Cremona's videos, he does an Q&A series where he has hit a lot of basic topics that I think some other Youtubers assume knowledge of.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you're lucky, your lumber yard may do crosscuts for free. I bought wood this morning and had them cut the 12' boards down to 2x6' which fits fine in my hatch back. There's another lumber yard in the twin cities that is aimed more at contractors and charges for crosscuts.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Right. Hadn't had my :coffee: yet. To me a dado is not an edge cut, it's across the face of a board. But w/e :shrug:

Umm, we agree. A rabbet is at the edge regardless of grain direction, a dado is not at the edge (but is also cross grained) and a groove is not at the edge (but is with the grain).

I was using "housed" to convey the "not at the edge part".

Sorry for all the semantics, part of my day job is debating the meaning of words.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Am I correct that there is no distinction between a dado or groove in plywood/cabinetry?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MetaJew posted:

Am I correct that there is no distinction between a dado or groove in plywood/cabinetry?

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/learn-the-difference-between-dados-and-grooves-008507/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Umm, we agree. A rabbet is at the edge regardless of grain direction, a dado is not at the edge (but is also cross grained) and a groove is not at the edge (but is with the grain).

I was using "housed" to convey the "not at the edge part".

Sorry for all the semantics, part of my day job is debating the meaning of words.

Eh it's ok, I'm not antisemantic.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Spent the evening at a work shop renting a bench. They charge a flat $6/hr rate, seems reasonable. Lots of power tools, it is loud in there. When it's less busy, I may pull one of the shop managers over and ask them to show me the ropes on each machine.

I'm building Schwartz's Dutch tool chest, as I'm currently carting my tools to the shop in a cardboard box. Kind of annoyed with myself because I wasted an hour and a half trying to flatten 6' boards instead of just cutting it to length and flattening a bunch of 2-3' boards. Oh well, I'm learning...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ColdPie posted:

I'm building Schwartz's Dutch tool chest, as I'm currently carting my tools to the shop in a cardboard box.

Post pictures. I am currently getting together the stuff for mine. I just bought some fancy hinges and cut nails for it.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 15, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
One thing I recommend on the dutch tool chests is to decide if you care about "security", e.g. I don't have a lock on mine cause if someone is in a position where they can swipe a tool out of my chest then they could also just swipe the whole drat chest.

If you decide you don't, then I recommend doing the door of the bottom compartment as a sliding dovetail panel rather than a fall front with the "locks" accessed from inside the top compartment. It worked for me and saved both space and effort.

I really need to finish up the saw mounting for the underside of my lid so I can post pics.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

GEMorris posted:

The one thing that comes to mind to me is that they have different implications for joint strength due to grain directions. A dado would be gluing side-to-end grain along the length of the cut, wheras a groove would be gluing side-to-side grain (and so should be much stronger) right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Post pictures. I am currently getting together the stuff for mine. I just bought some fancy hinges and cut nails for it.

We probably bought the same stuff.

My lumber yard didn't have any wide boards, so currently I'm just doing a bunch of dimensioning and edge gluing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GEMorris posted:

One thing I recommend on the dutch tool chests is to decide if you care about "security", e.g. I don't have a lock on mine cause if someone is in a position where they can swipe a tool out of my chest then they could also just swipe the whole drat chest.

If you decide you don't, then I recommend doing the door of the bottom compartment as a sliding dovetail panel rather than a fall front with the "locks" accessed from inside the top compartment. It worked for me and saved both space and effort.

I really need to finish up the saw mounting for the underside of my lid so I can post pics.

Thanks for the thoughts, any other tips are appreciated.

I don't understand what you mean by using a sliding dovetail. Where do you put the groove (dado? :v: )? I thought the "lock" was more about keeping the panel from accidentally falling out during transit than being secure. How does the sliding dovetail prevent the door falling off?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

GEMorris posted:

I considered changing up the front panel like you mention, but I will be doing some traveling with my case and a lock is a nice way to keep peoples paws off your tools in a shared space. And my tools will be mostly spending their time at my families property. I don't think my brother in laws would steal anything, but they would dull up my chisels.

ColdPie posted:

We probably bought the same stuff.

I ended up with a hasp and handles off ebay since with shipping they were a cheaper choice. Nails and hinges are from lee valley since I was getting some other things also.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Is $3.25 a good board foot price for white oak?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

Is $3.25 a good board foot price for white oak?

It would be around me. Just checked my local list and it is $4.10 for 4/4 rough.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ColdPie posted:

Thanks for the thoughts, any other tips are appreciated.

I don't understand what you mean by using a sliding dovetail. Where do you put the groove (dado? :v: )? I thought the "lock" was more about keeping the panel from accidentally falling out during transit than being secure. How does the sliding dovetail prevent the door falling off?

Like this:

Sounds like Atticus has some good reasons for going with the locking option.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 15, 2017

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Like this:

Sounds like Atticus has some good reasons for going with the locking option.

That looks good too. I considered toggle locks to keep it in place, but put that aside when I decided I for sure wanted it to lock.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So, we lost one of our Walnuts. It's a hybrid white/black (thick sap wood, black heart). I'm going to attempt milling it, but it's going to have to sit unit the ground firms back up in the spring. Any reocmmendations for cheap end seal?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

the spyder posted:

So, we lost one of our Walnuts. It's a hybrid white/black (thick sap wood, black heart). I'm going to attempt milling it, but it's going to have to sit unit the ground firms back up in the spring. Any reocmmendations for cheap end seal?

Plain old exterior grade paint works fine, the big difference between it and anchorseal is the paint will need 2-3 coats to really work. The really important thing to do is to get it up off the ground a few inches.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hurm, I bet some of the $25/5gal recycled house paint our local waste-center makes would work fine then. I was just talking with my brother about finding some rail road ties to put the pieces onto. It's going to be a wet few months until we can pull it off the hill.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a can of 25 year old oil base latex for sealing turning blanks. I glob on two thick layers and that works well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone built any of the Paulk benches? I need something along lines as I have very limited space and they seem like a really good solution.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I'm putting the top of my workbench together slowly, and I'm finding some places where my glue-ups are not as tight as they probably should be. I remember seeing someone use an epoxy to fill gaps and holes in a slab of wood, but I can't remember the video - is there a specific epoxy that should be used for something like this, or can I just pretty much grab any 2-part epoxy at home depot and use it to fill the holes I've left?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dunno about epoxy, but one common trick is to mix some glue with sawdust and then fill the gaps with that. It'll do a good job of color-matching...not that that's a huge issue on a workbench.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone built any of the Paulk benches? I need something along lines as I have very limited space and they seem like a really good solution.

I built a small hybrid Jay Bates/Paulk work bench. It does not break down for transport, I use it as an assembly table/table saw outfeed/storage. Works great, I really like that you can store a bunch of stuff in it without cluttering the top.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about using reclaimed wooden pallets. I want to build my wife a chef's table (a DIY'ed wooden table to go in the centre of our kitchen for food prep). I was thinking of using some reclaimed wood pallets since nearby businesses are usually giving them away for free. Is there any way of knowing/determining if the wooden pallets contain harmful treatment chemicals that will kill us all if there aren't any visible stamps or markings on them? I probably won't risk it if there's no definite way of knowing, but I was just curious of any other ways to ID wood pallet safeness.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 16, 2017

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

A question about using reclaimed wooden pallets. I want to build my wife a chef's table (a DIY'ed wooden table to go in the centre of our kitchen for food prep). I was thinking of using some reclaimed wood pallets since nearby businesses are usually giving them away for free. Is there any way of knowing/determining if the wooden pallets contain harmful treatment chemicals that will kill us all if there aren't any visible stamps or markings on them?

If it's painted, don't use it. If you can't find markings, don't use it.

Also, be mindful of where you get the pallet from. Sometimes the pallet itself will be fine, but it may have been used to transport chemicals which could have spilled on the pallet that wouldn't be good to use.

Honestly, I've never had any problems finding marked pallets for use in woodworking projects.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

If it's painted, don't use it. If you can't find markings, don't use it.

Also, be mindful of where you get the pallet from. Sometimes the pallet itself will be fine, but it may have been used to transport chemicals which could have spilled on the pallet that wouldn't be good to use.

Honestly, I've never had any problems finding marked pallets for use in woodworking projects.

Sometimes they've been used outside of hospital morgues. But, hey

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

They can also be used to transport food and some 10% tested positive for E. coli by the NCL in 2010.

I personally wouldn't do it. Just wear a respirator and goggles when sanding/cutting.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man, waxing my plane is like the craziest thing. I have a solid hunk of beeswax that I just rub on and suddenly that thing flies across the wood. It doesn't even look like it leaves any residue, but there you go. Handy tip for anyone that uses hand tools I guess.

On the plus side, we're moved in and my workbench is setup, so I've started finishing up my workbench. I'm somewhat glad I made some pretty big errors because I'm learning from them, but to recap:
  • Utility grade lumber sucks for hand tool work. Full of knots and none of it was very straight.
  • Paul Sellers is an amazing woodworker and a dirty liar who says you can use a #4 for everything and you don't need mortising chisels. If you're a million year old woodworking deity, maybe.
  • On that note, his workbench is...difficult. I should have built a knockdown nicholson or another design or read the Workbench book by Schwartz, but it'll work out.
Still trucking onward to completion. Just gonna take a while for the aprons and assembly.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, waxing my plane is like the craziest thing. I have a solid hunk of beeswax that I just rub on and suddenly that thing flies across the wood. It doesn't even look like it leaves any residue, but there you go. Handy tip for anyone that uses hand tools I guess.

On the plus side, we're moved in and my workbench is setup, so I've started finishing up my workbench. I'm somewhat glad I made some pretty big errors because I'm learning from them, but to recap:
  • Utility grade lumber sucks for hand tool work. Full of knots and none of it was very straight.
  • Paul Sellers is an amazing woodworker and a dirty liar who says you can use a #4 for everything and you don't need mortising chisels. If you're a million year old woodworking deity, maybe.
  • On that note, his workbench is...difficult. I should have built a knockdown nicholson or another design or read the Workbench book by Schwartz, but it'll work out.
Still trucking onward to completion. Just gonna take a while for the aprons and assembly.

Curious to here about the difficulties you've had building it. I didn't consider it because I didn't like the big aprons, but it *seemed* simple enough at a glance.

And yeah I was never selective enough about the quality of my timber. You can't spend too much time looking over pieces before you buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My girlfriend wants to buy a new bed and mattress, upgrading our Queen to a King

I don't really want to buy a new bed and box-spring and have been tossing around the idea of making my own simple wooden platform

How realistic is it for me to create a large, bread-board/ butcher's block style wooden platform similar to this?