Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
"We will build a new safer barrier at IMS and the IRL will pay for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NASCAR 2017: Grab 'Em By The Plates

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Boomer The Cannon posted:

NASCAR 2017: Grab 'Em By The Plates

Nailed it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

L_Harrison posted:

We're gonna have the best racing, just the best racing. You're gonna be tired of all our racing. No one will have better racing than us.

Tremendous racing. All stadiums will be packed bigly.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How big are Jimmie Johnson's hands?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the world is dying and I don't care

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm curious to see what exactly they roll out, especially if it's beyond (educated guess) heat races, a regular season champion with a first-round bye, and maybe double-points races. It could be good if they execute it righahahahahahahahahaha, I almost got through that.

Maybe they'll add ramps for the TOTALLY FUCKIN' GNARLY, BRO dynamic?

Peanut President posted:

Somehow I never knew that Rico Abreu was a little person.

edit:
"In the short term, his focus will be on midgets and sprint cars." >_>

I saw a cardboard cutout of him at Eldora and I swore for a moment it was really him. It was really well done and I'd never seen a cutout of a little person.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I have no faith they'll implement anything worthwhile, but I'll probably still watch

though instead of bitching about safety now I'll probably root for someone to get killed instead

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Whatever the changes are. Hope you guys are ready to see Jimmy Win another new format.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
He's gonna go on a tear and get the first round bye and then people will bitch about how they rigged the format, completely missing the point that the 48 team races in such a way as to provide the maximum chance to win the Cup

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Seizure Meat posted:

I have no faith they'll implement anything worthwhile, but I'll probably still watch

though instead of bitching about safety now I'll probably root for someone to get killed instead

Who are you and what have you done with Viking Skull

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I went pro in GBS

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

In one of the NASCAR Facebook groups found a screencap of some of 2017 rule changes with nascars logo on it.

48 total races, 24 are regular distance races, and 24 doubleheaders at the other remaining 12 weekends.

Daytona 500, Coke 600, Brickyard 400, Southern 500, and Homestead count for double points.

I'd like to know why homestead would count for double points when the championship is decided on where they finish, besides the point for the 30 others racing for points if there is one.

I'm fine with it though wonder if tracks and NASCAR have planned accordingly with cup races with the rest of the weekends races such as tickets and so forth.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
... does that mean the Chase is gone? It's dumb, but not as dumb as the Chase, and lol at double points races since that was received so well in Indycar and F1.

Some people are calling the leak fake, so whatever.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

It's tough to say if it's real or not. As for the chase, that's what I was thinking but couldn't see them giving it up so easily.

E: Gluck got word it's fake. So probably something real stupid is coming instead.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 14, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BMB5150 posted:

In one of the NASCAR Facebook groups found a screencap of some of 2017 rule changes with nascars logo on it.

48 total races, 24 are regular distance races, and 24 doubleheaders at the other remaining 12 weekends.

Daytona 500, Coke 600, Brickyard 400, Southern 500, and Homestead count for double points.

I'd like to know why homestead would count for double points when the championship is decided on where they finish, besides the point for the 30 others racing for points if there is one.

I'm fine with it though wonder if tracks and NASCAR have planned accordingly with cup races with the rest of the weekends races such as tickets and so forth.

I hope that's real. Maybe if the races are only ~250 miles each it could help deal with the main problem of the racing, which is everyone just hangs out for the middle 80% of the race waiting for the finish.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I hope one of the new rules is the drivers have to spin around a baseball bat until they get dizzy whenever they pit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

I hope that's real. Maybe if the races are only ~250 miles each it could help deal with the main problem of the racing, which is everyone just hangs out for the middle 80% of the race waiting for the finish.

yeah agreed

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

L_Harrison posted:

... does that mean the Chase is gone? It's dumb, but not as dumb as the Chase, and lol at double points races since that was received so well in Indycar and F1.

Some people are calling the leak fake, so whatever.

NASCAR abandoning the Chase would perhaps be the most stunning and improbable thing to happen under Brian France's leadership, but the rest of the now-debunked graphic is sort of what I was expecting out of this.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Watch the reaction be so overwhelmingly popular that NASCAR pulls a Springtime for Hitler and implements some random fake rule changes someone found on the reverse side of some piss-fetish short story on the Internet.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

BMB5150 posted:

This makes too much sense to be real.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Thought about that too and here's my guess: the graphic's real. I'd also add to the Facebook group's thoughts this way:

First, the double points thing really feels like getting rid of the Chase, especially by including the finale. I can't think of another way that would make sense (assuming it's real).

Second, by my count, 12 tracks last year had two Cup dates. Thus, I predict the second date at those tracks will be converted to dual races so it's not the same event over again. The tracks with 1 date and the one race at the two-date tracks will still have the same format (24 races). This is all Monster can do because the schedule is already set; they can only change what fans will see.

I think Monster will try this in 2017 in preparation for re-organizing the schedule and/or trying new race formats in 2018. Again, they're restricted by NASCAR to what tracks they can use, but I would think they would at least attempt to push the boundaries of their new power, perhaps shortening the schedule (like Winston did when they signed in 1972).

I also think this sea-change in the sport was anticipated by Brian Scott and especially Carl, which is why they retired.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

LASTCAR posted:

I also think this sea-change in the sport was anticipated by Brian Scott and especially Carl, which is why they retired.

Carl perhaps, but I don't think Brian could spell cat if you spotted him the C and the A.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The Brickyard 400 counting for double points is so absolutely dumb that I'm assuming its real

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR is never going to stop trying to make the final race always be the title decider. If it's between double points and the Chase, I'd take double points every time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CactusWeasle posted:

The Brickyard 400 counting for double points is so absolutely dumb that I'm assuming its real

More points than people in the stands

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LASTCAR posted:

Thought about that too and here's my guess: the graphic's real. I'd also add to the Facebook group's thoughts this way:

...I also think this sea-change in the sport was anticipated by Brian Scott and especially Carl, which is why they retired.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like it's the attitude so commonly seen in NASCAR, whether it be from the sanctioning body, a driver, or team: "No, no, that's not true at all! Where did you hear such a thing, we never said anything like that even though it's totally true and we're just waiting to announce it on our own terms!

Greg Biffle may have factored this in, too. I can't believe he'd rather have no ride than a ride at Roush unless the winds of change were quietly known.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

*Bitches about too many races and gimmicky schedules*
*Goes to watch Tony Stewart run 90-100 dirt races across various sanctioning bodies*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boomer The Cannon posted:

*Bitches about too many races and gimmicky schedules*
*Goes to watch Tony Stewart run 90-100 dirt races across various sanctioning bodies*

please dont doxx me

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

It used to be an awesome event.

Historic track, an embrace of short track heroes like Gordon, Stewart, mixed in with the popularity of the sport from the 80's until about 2008. Plus you had IRP mix in some short track events during the week AND an IROC race with the stars of auto racing in one of the best markets for auto racing.

Then NASCAR hosed with this. Put races in Chicago, Kentucky/Cincy, and then just turned the thing into a watered down event. It's just another event now. Like pretty much every other race on the Cup schedule. Even Bristol, Daytona and Talladega have devolved into "meh" events because winning those doesn't mean near as much as winning a race at Kansas for "The Chase".

The idea of doing "double points" isn't a horrible idea, but it's one I feel is almost too late to implement in some ways. NASCAR would have benefited from doing this with "The Winston Million"/"No Bull 5" races plus Old Atlanta (for the title) back in the day to make those events "must watch". Kinda in the same manner that Golf makes it's various "opens" must watches even to people who don't regularly follow golf.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

This all sounds very interesting except we should all know by now that points don't matter. We should really be concentrating on double wins.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

It used to be an awesome event.

Historic track, an embrace of short track heroes like Gordon, Stewart, mixed in with the popularity of the sport from the 80's until about 2008. Plus you had IRP mix in some short track events during the week AND an IROC race with the stars of auto racing in one of the best markets for auto racing.

Then NASCAR hosed with this. Put races in Chicago, Kentucky/Cincy, and then just turned the thing into a watered down event. It's just another event now. Like pretty much every other race on the Cup schedule. Even Bristol, Daytona and Talladega have devolved into "meh" events because winning those doesn't mean near as much as winning a race at Kansas for "The Chase".

The idea of doing "double points" isn't a horrible idea, but it's one I feel is almost too late to implement in some ways. NASCAR would have benefited from doing this with "The Winston Million"/"No Bull 5" races plus Old Atlanta (for the title) back in the day to make those events "must watch". Kinda in the same manner that Golf makes it's various "opens" must watches even to people who don't regularly follow golf.

They started running Indy in like 199x which is when NASCAR started getting dumb.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Please make the NASCAR 2017 thread with just this as the OP, in fact I will do that if nobody else will

NASCAR 2017 - This is fine.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

They started running Indy in like 199x which is when NASCAR started getting dumb.

1992 they announced they were doing it, and all the "Robin Miller" types" were throwing shade at CART for not running more :911:s

1994.was the first year, and it was a success up until 2008. The aforementioned Miller has a good piece on it:

http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/running-on-empty-the-brickyard-400-problems/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
NASCAR 2017 - Who stole my dip can

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If there are doubleheaders, they sure as poo poo better offer some sort of combo pack or make it one ticket. Charge people $280 for two 200 milers at Daytona in July and the stands are going to be even emptier than they were last year.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If that format gets rid of the Chase then I am 1000% behind it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Norns posted:

Whatever the changes are. Hope you guys are ready to see Jimmy Win another new format.

kidcoelacanth posted:

If that format gets rid of the Chase then I am 1000% behind it

If the rumored championship format is in any way a reflection of NASCAR taking the Chase out back and shooting it to make it more difficult for Jimmie Johnson to win a title, I applaud NASCAR AND Jimmie for it. NASCAR giving Labor Day back to Darlington and reverting to a championship determined over 36 races with Brian France at the helm is just :psyboom:

Jimmie having to win a championship over 36 races for once will actually be entertaining.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can't wait until Jimmie clinches the title with three races left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wicka posted:

Can't wait until Jimmie clinches the title with three races left.

Literally fine with this if it's not with the chase

Boy I hate the chase

• Locked thread