Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The very first thing you do in clippersnips is make a butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I thought that this all ages toy seemed a little pricey at $470 AUD but my graphics card was nearly that, so whatever, not an issue for me, but I absolutely have sympathy for parents with kids looking at that $120 price tag on an extra set of Joycons and getting a knot in their stomach.

3+/- hour battery life seems fine to me as well - I don't really understand the obsession with having a battery life the length of a plane ride. Every plane I've been on in the last few years has had USB charging ports. And I only fly a couple of times a year...
I mostly take advantage of my Vita's portability by just generally lounging around the house in a way that I can't with my PC.

All these nerds posting and making videos about how Nintendo hosed up need to get outside their bubble. Most people didn't watch the stream, and most people won't be counting launch titles, or chewing their nails over battery life. I have heard so many people say "I haven't bought a console since X but this looks like it might be for me" and "I mostly play games on my PC, but I wouldn't mind a Zelda/Mario/Splatoon/MoHun/Pokmon machine".

For me the big take away from the press stuff was that the Joycon grip controller apparently feels a lot better than you'd think. The only thing I'm still wondering about is its functionality as a tablet, and that's mostly because I don't own one.

I preordered a Switch because it looks fun \_(ツ)_/

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Travis was actually painfully uncool even in America, but I love it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Travis Strikes Again (unofficially known as ThisIndividualOverHere) is loosely based on the 1993 movie Homeward Bound

Nintendo rules and Sony drools

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah the joycons are the only thing that gave me a price shock but I figure a single extra set of them gives you 4 players worth of controls whereas on a playstation or xbone it would cost like 200 to match.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
This thread has gone off the rails. We need to get back to the important things.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What if I put the tablet in one pants pocket and the two joycons in the other

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

BGrifter posted:

This thread has gone off the rails. We need to get back to the important things.

Congrats on arguing "the switch is too small" and " the switch is too big" in a single post?????????????

I mean anyone who puts things in their back pocket are morons, this is why your coat large pockets on the inside.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dr Cheeto posted:

What if I put the tablet in one pants pocket and the two joycons in the other

What if I put the joycons in my butthole

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

He has a wallet chain for his switch

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

Congrats on arguing "the switch is too small" and " the switch is too big" in a single post?????????????

whoa.... its almost like......... its both

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Jimmy Hats posted:

Suda was best part of presentation by far.

Snipperclips is the best thing they left out of presentation by ultra far.

Snipperclips is gonna be a $20 e-store purchase while the incredibly revolutionary and certainly ultra-deep gamestyle of 1-2 Switch requires a full $60 purchase :-|

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

things are different in different contexts.................... fuckin far out man

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
This device can play games like Skyrim and people are complaining about 3 hours of battery life? I'm actually surprised it lasts that long.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I like watching TNG on DVD because I like that low-res (compard to blu-ray) feel. It's sad I can't use it with my Nintendo, but whatever.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm actually surprised it doesn't clip a centimeter off my thumbs every time i press a button! wow nintendo is killing it!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What if I put the joycons in my butthole

This is actually my secret 1 2 Switch cow milking technique please look forward to it during AGDQ 2018

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean anyone who puts things in their back pocket are morons, this is why your coat large pockets on the inside.

Congrats on getting the joke.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

things are different in different contexts.................... fuckin far out man

Haha solid post haha https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=188504

InFlames235 posted:

Snipperclips is gonna be a $20 e-store purchase while the incredibly revolutionary and certainly ultra-deep gamestyle of 1-2 Switch requires a full $60 purchase :-|

Yeah don't tell nintendo because they might swap the prices

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone way back said there was no optical jack, but this thing will support HDMI surround sound right? I'm not used to even considering that new tech wouldn't.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

shave and a harelip posted:

i'm actually surprised it doesn't clip a centimeter off my thumbs every time i press a button! wow nintendo is killing it!

I see your point, but when was Nintendo ever 'killing' it? Every console they released since the Gamecube people have been saying that Nintendo's dead and that the competitors have much better systems. And yet Nintendo sells lots of consoles and keeps going. I think that is because the company has never been about 'killing it', it's about killer first party titles and accessibility for every person that is even slightly interested in gaming.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

inferis posted:

How much do you think the switch sales will be damaged by the announcement of knack 2? Who cares about Mario if other companies do what Nintendo does better.

What is Knack 2 and what relevance does it have to the most well known video game character in the world being popular? Please understand that the popularity of Mario goes well beyond "is this the best platforming game in the world" because that doesn't matter anyone other than a tiny subset of gamers.

Soul Glo posted:

I will play Zelda on it

It'll be ok

Wanna play the Berserk musou on my Switch. :black101:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Preordered a Switch from Gamestop yesterday since they were the only place still taking preorders, seems like they ran out sometime last night. It's probably all being done in waves though.

Settled for the grey one but wanted the neon red/blue because it looks real nice and friendly and I'm all about my toys looking like toys. If the neon one opens up closer to launch might just swap. Or might just exchange it for the other color on launch day if there's a surplus, which there probably won't be.

The nice thing about Gamestop is it doesn't charge until it ships so if I get buyer's remorse I can just cancel it around the end of February and no harm done. But right now I'm way more interested in the Switch than I ever was in the Wii U, which I didn't end up buying. Wii U had some cool games but I managed to get my fill of those by playing on my friends' consoles (except for Mario Maker, which I would have bought on 3DS if that port wasn't terrible). Except for this upcoming Zelda, which looks like it just nails the exploration and experimentation I like to play with in games, and hell if I'm gonna get a console to play it I might as well get the new one that's going to get more new Nintendo stuff instead of the old one that's basically dead.

Plus I wanna get my hands on that new Mario.

1, 2, Switch seems like it'll be fun with friends too. Though I don't think I'll get it full price(wait until its maybe $30), I'm pretty interested in how the game shows off the haptic feedback and it seems silly enough to give some solid entertainment for around the same price any of the board/card games we pick up would.

The haptic feedback is such an interesting thing that I think will go underutilized for the entire lifespan of the system, which is a shame since Nintendo's been trying to get that into their controllers since the pre-Wii era. Upping the physicality of video games without making you hold like a fake gun or sword or whatever is an important aspect of immersion, and if the patents for the Switch-based VR headset ever result in anything you can bet those Joycons are going to be great VR controllers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

*hands paul mccartney a copy of abbey road* haha solid album. this is me owning you, somehow

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea what is the point of that 1 2 Switch, are you just going to be sitting around with your friends milking cows for hours, it's weird

Every one of those games were the ultimate definition of novel. Like one pair is gonna try it and be like, "Oh cool, it works" and everybody never plays it again.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Super No Vacancy posted:

*hands paul mccartney a copy of abbey road* haha solid album. this is me owning you, somehow

Great post, forums friend

Spellman posted:

Yea what is the point of that 1 2 Switch, are you just going to be sitting around with your friends milking cows for hours, it's weird

Every one of those games were the ultimate definition of novel. Like one pair is gonna try it and be like, "Oh cool, it works" and everybody never plays it again.

It's a lot of little fun minigames which make the participants look and feel extremely silly. I think it's gonna be a hoot with children or intoxicated adults.

That said yeah it probably should be a pack-in.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 14, 2017

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm not sure why people are attempting to equate this to the Wii-U in terms of potential failure. The Wii-U's primary failure was one of messaging. You ask people still today and they'll tell you the Wii-U wasn't a new system, just an add on for the Wii.

Whether you like the direction or not, the Switch has a very clear and directed message. That alone will ensure it's adopted better than the Wii-U

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Great post, forums friend

Dr Cheeto: thank you.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spellman posted:

It's kind of gimmicky but that's okay. Disposable video games that give you short little fun experiences are valid things to make. Stuff like the Jackbox games are proof enough of that, they're just fun weird little things that are more about hanging out with people than playing something for 300 hours and that's an underserved market when it comes to actual good, quality video games of that type. There's plenty of bad ones. We need more good ones.

The problem is it's being sold at $50 when it should probably just be a digital pack-in or a $20 title at retail. But they have to recoup those development costs for getting the haptics right so it's a $50 game. Oh well.

The other problem is it seems like it's really just limited to two people, which makes it a little questionable as a party game. But it would also be a bad idea to make a game seem like it requires people to buy 6 additional joycon controllers at launch (like Bomberman is encouraging) so that's probably a no-win situation.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
1, 2 Switch will fail to make any sort of lasting impression on people until it is somehow made into a stage in Smash Bros. V complete with the live action preview bits.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my god there isn't gonna be a Miiverse stage in Smash Bros 5

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

The problem is it's being sold at $50 when it should probably just be a digital pack-in or a $20 title at retail. But they have to recoup those development costs for getting the haptics right so it's a $50 game. Oh well.

It seems like a lot of early VR where the actual product isn't something people want to buy at price that matches the work that went into it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tender Bender posted:

It seems like a lot of early VR where the actual product isn't something people want to buy at price that matches the work that went into it.

Yeah I think it's that same problem. The development costs and behind-the-scenes stuff that went down to make 1, 2, Switch function in the way it needed to isn't coming across through the presentation of the game or the amount of content it has, so it's an expensive thing to make that doesn't do a whole lot and will fall by the wayside.

Which sucks because it will probably mean no other major games using the haptics properly in the future.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They probably don't have the money that Facebook or valve do to pack in a free game like 1 2 Switch. It probably cost a lot to figure out how to get the ffb right.

Also what's the point of HAD rumble when any third party is just going to have it do normal rumble effects? No one will try to figure out how to feel like you're really fondling anime wall scrolls.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Spellman posted:

I think it depends on how many mini games are in it. They demoed like, ten, but if there's a whole buttload it may actually be interesting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spellman posted:

It's a drinking game. Winner/loser takes a shot until everyone is in a happy coma.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Mister Macys posted:

It's a drinking game. Winner/loser takes a shot until everyone is in a happy coma.

Pretty much what they did on the treehouse stream.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

What is Knack 2 and what relevance does it have to the most well known video game character in the world being popular? Please understand that the popularity of Mario goes well beyond "is this the best platforming game in the world" because that doesn't matter anyone other than a tiny subset of gamers.

I know there's a lot of bad opinions in this thread but yeah that was the joke.

That was in the context of people unironically saying that hyper light drifter was a 2d Zelda but even better.

inferis fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 14, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My issue with the Switch is that it has so much potential. You give us VC GameCube games, let us port over our vc GBA games we bought on the Wii U, sold. You can even charge us $.99 per game we want to transfer, and I'd do it.

As it stands, they've pitched me a wait and see around Christmas. The Wii U version of BOTW looks like it's slightly less pretty, but still looks dope as hell. Thanks to this thread, I'm considering home-brew on my current system to play all those GameCube games I was happy to rebuy digitally. If they had pitched GameCube games Coming this summer, (rouge Squadron trilogy, bond games, beyond good and evil) I would have dropped $500 Friday night. As it stands, I dropped nothing but a gift card to buy BOTW on Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It's so weird that every time a new console comes out everyone just wants to play all their old games. If they're great then you always just keep playing them on the old consoles?

• Locked thread