Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sing Street is loving adorable and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

You calling me a lazy nazi or something?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, no doubt. Also from that list, if I'm gonna pick one: Don't Deliver Us From Evil. Saw it the first time a month or two back and it blew me away.

I can't seem to get English subs on it and my French is extremely bad :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

The copy I watched was hard coded. I'll see if the link still works.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DeimosRising posted:

That's odd. Can you get subtitles on other YouTube videos?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

You calling me a lazy nazi or something?

No I've just had that comic open in a tab for a while & wanted the slightest excuse to post it. Figured a mention of Sam Hyde might be as close as I get.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It works imo

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hat Thoughts posted:

No I've just had that comic open in a tab for a while & wanted the slightest excuse to post it. Figured a mention of Sam Hyde might be as close as I get.

Gotcha. Jerkcity owns and I was afraid that it was being used against me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

I think my biggest issue is I need a collaborator. Without someone to work with I kinda flop around like a fish, not knowing what to do. Ya know?

Having someone to work with is pretty great. I have a collaborator and our usual method when we start working on a project is to have a meeting, usually in some sort of cafe where we can just sit and chat about the idea. We write down basically everything and then throw it into a shared file on Google Drive and also add any more ideas we might have to that file. There are often a couple of more meetings where we take the concept and ideas we already have and try to mold it more. Like if it's episodic we try to decide what the theme of each episode should be and try to group what we already have into those themes and arrange the themes of the episodes so that they fit the overall arc we have in mind. Then we actually start writing the scripts. Usually one us writes a certain scene or sketch or whatever and then the other one rewrites it. If that still doesn't work there is usually a third rewrite until we can get it to where it's good.

It's a pretty good system for the most part but our main problem is that we are probably too alike in our thought processes so we often try to get a third party to read our stuff to make sure something that we both think is self evident and everyone will understand is actually that obvious to other people.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

weekly font posted:

Sing Street is loving adorable and I love it.

those animals are the cutest :3:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

blue squares posted:

I will not tolerate this kind of anti-Irish slander!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
I technically could have watched some pretty heavy movies as a kid. I recall deciding that Jacob's Ladder might be too much for me at 7 when a housemate was going to watch it. Probably a good call?

I think I watched The Rapture (1991) at about 11 and by then it just couldn't out-weird the poo poo I read on a regular basis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched basically anything I wanted. My mom just told me to remember that it was just a movie and not real. She also had a habit of falling asleep on the couch while watching something and me and my older brother would sneak out of our rooms and watch late showings of the X-Files standing behind the couch in the dark while she slept. We also saw some horror films that way, some of them gave me nightmares but I think that was an essential part of the experience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also, I tried watching The Secret and had to turn it off like 25 min into it cause it was just disgusting, but my roommate is making me watch it with him tonight. As a tradeoff, he's going to watch one of my picks with me and I'm not sure which direction to go in. Since The Secret promotes solipsism and is aggressively anti-political-awareness, I was thinking Harlan County, USA or HyperNormalization... any other suggestions?

Harlan County. All the way. Stand up and sing the Internationale with tears in your eyes as soon as the film is over. I assume you know the lyrics by heart.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I loved Lord Of War as a kid. I'm not sure why that of all Cage movies stuck with me, but it did.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I loving loved both Bill and Ted movies as a kid, still do.

I also loved the sci-fi comedy/Dave Duchovny vehicle Evolution, which probably doesn't hold up as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Evolution is cool. The score owns so many bones.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also really liked Evolution. Haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember it fondly.

Also, I don't think the Bill and Ted movies were ever in question.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
TCM underground tonight is prison thrillers: Terminal Island and Penitentiary.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

blue squares posted:

God you joke but I had two people come out of Sing today after a half hour and straight up ask for a refund because they thought Matthew McConnaughey and Reese Witherspoon were in this movie and they thought they bought tickets for the wrong show. When I was like "they are, but he voices the koala and she's the pig" they said "...oh, this is an animated movie? We were wondering when the humans were gonna show up." "They aren't, it's all talking animals." "Oh."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Haha, wait do people think the banksy twitter account is really banksy?
Awesome.

Criminal Minded posted:

It's always a good sign when somebody asks for criticism and feedback and then immediately rebuffs the first criticism offered

Welcome to the entirety of CPs posting career.
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Huh, I'll rewatch Evolution then. I don't here it mentioned much so just kinda assumed I had bad taste as a kid.

Actually, thinking back I had some awesome comedies on rotation as a kid. Mystery Men and Galaxy Quest were also frequent watches. I watched basically no dope action or horror as a kid though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yo please don't stop criticizing the CP script in the thread because there's no way I'm reading it but I love me a good (constructive) trashing.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Every year and a half or so I get the urge to rewatch Up in the Air and when that urge strikes me, I think to myself, "Why, I remember it being good but not that good." Then I watch it and I'm reminded that, no, it is really that good and I probably don't remember that because it rises to the levels that all of Jason Reitman's other movies vocally aspire to.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Well that's too bad because I'm already working on a script about Sam Hyde's vengeful cyber ghost wreaking havoc on liberal tumblrites and adult swim fatcats for cancelling his show.

But yeah for the record I do think Sam Hyde is a piece of poo poo.

What's the thing with Sam Hyde that made everyone hate him?

weekly font posted:

I just found out my girlfriend's favorite movie is Twister and I'm unsure how to feel about this except my new nickname for her is Dustman.

Sever.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

weekly font posted:

Every year and a half or so I get the urge to rewatch Up in the Air and when that urge strikes me, I think to myself, "Why, I remember it being good but not that good." Then I watch it and I'm reminded that, no, it is really that good and I probably don't remember that because it rises to the levels that all of Jason Reitman's other movies vocally aspire to.

This is the first I've heard of anybody talking about this movie since it came out. How's it fair versus Young Adult cause that was his peak for me?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yo please don't stop criticizing the CP script in the thread because there's no way I'm reading it but I love me a good (constructive) trashing.

Yeah it's fun when people poo poo on something you worked on.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

No one has poo poo on anything.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

TrixRabbi posted:

This is the first I've heard of anybody talking about this movie since it came out. How's it fair versus Young Adult cause that was his peak for me?

I think it trounces all over it but I would also rank Young Adult behind Thank You For Smoking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but why are you asking for that? Kinda fuckin mean though. I never boasted about this thing or did a Tony Tango on it. I just wanted some honest feedback.

Preferably in a PM form so it can get super in detail.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For what it's worth, it's probably good to get a more extreme reaction at first because it challenges you.

My professor gave my college screenplay a good grade, but pointed out a lot of dumb stuff I did that I didn't notice... because I was the one that wrote it.

Consider that the first draft of Casablanca was a total mess and it went through a bunch of overhauls, even during filming. The final product speaks for itself.

Writing demands a scorched earth policy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Some of ya'll are treating CP like he's the guy who posted that awful Nightwing fan film, jeez.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm down for that. I just don't want this weird public thing. Ya know? It'll hurt me if you hate it but as long as you tell me why, I'll fight to fix it.

Like Snak and CPL sent me some great feedback on a short the other night. Negative stuff was good because when I get back to editing that I have a better idea of what to fix. But the "public trashing" thing is....I dunno. It's kind of a bummer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What's the thing with Sam Hyde that made everyone hate him?

He's all in on racism/sexism/le pepe lifestyle. I still think he's funny but he is absolutely just the worst person.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Don't take it personally. The script matters. You are simply the conduit through which the script comes into the world.

Dehumanize yourself and face to criticism.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

I will not tolerate this kind of anti-Irish slander!

lmao

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I read that the Irish have tails and worship the moon. If that wasn't true then it wouldn't be in a book would it?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I read that the Irish have tails and worship the moon. If that wasn't true then it wouldn't be in a book would it?

Sound like cool peeps to party with tbh.
Hour of the wolf, meet in the misty moors, bring your own blood.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

I'm down for that. I just don't want this weird public thing. Ya know? It'll hurt me if you hate it but as long as you tell me why, I'll fight to fix it.

Like Snak and CPL sent me some great feedback on a short the other night. Negative stuff was good because when I get back to editing that I have a better idea of what to fix. But the "public trashing" thing is....I dunno. It's kind of a bummer.

Fair enough. I guess when I was at film school that kind of thing was the norm, so it seeped into my approach of people's work. If you can't take constructive but painful criticism now, your journey of self improvement will be a slow-rear end one.

Egbert Souse posted:

For what it's worth, it's probably good to get a more extreme reaction at first because it challenges you.

My professor gave my college screenplay a good grade, but pointed out a lot of dumb stuff I did that I didn't notice... because I was the one that wrote it.

Consider that the first draft of Casablanca was a total mess and it went through a bunch of overhauls, even during filming. The final product speaks for itself.

Writing demands a scorched earth policy.

This basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you need to thrash CPL's script, there's no reason to do that outside of PMs because it will just be a conversation where none of us will actually have anything but assumptions to work on

• Locked thread