Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Surprised the VC run was so praised, "normal" VC is pretty dead with all the glitches. I presume that the No ACE stipulation helps.

Watching the VOD now and it's pretty entertaining, he's explaining the stuff well, and manages to be amusing while doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yeah 70% of a good run comes down to the commentary imo

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
it's obvious, but last night's DKC trilogy race is incredible. highly technical run with pretty much all the top 5 players in all 3 games. it's a must watch if you love the DKC series.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

axeil posted:

it's obvious, but last night's DKC trilogy race is incredible. highly technical run with pretty much all the top 5 players in all 3 games. it's a must watch if you love the DKC series.

Go out and watch this race right now! If you don't watch this race, you are stupid!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well this has been a pretty good gdq

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DizzyBum posted:

Go out and watch this race right now! If you don't watch this race, you are stupid!

When the Toy Story for the SNES race?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The DKC relay was cool as hell, after three games all three teams were separated by only, what, two minutes? That's nuts.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Super Dram World is absolutely a must-watch, great runner, amazing energy and ridiculously hard kaizo Mario.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Don't miss Big Jon and andrewg doing the 2 players 1 controller of Lost Levels, either. I was into the run the entire time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Don't miss Big Jon and andrewg doing the 2 players 1 controller of Lost Levels, either. I was into the run the entire time.

A two man comedy show, and they played a game fast as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
They finally hit the $100,000 target for that Undertale donation incentive, and that's officially the highest incentive goal the AGDQ/SGDQ streams have ever met.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Has any donation incentive not been met this year?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
this year's TASBot block features live real-time video running on an SNES.

no really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

this year's TASBot block features live real-time video running on an SNES.

no really.

Multiple consoles, but no less impressive.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

iospace posted:

Multiple consoles, but no less impressive.

The video is over the SNES. The NES are being used for audio.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Each year, TASBlock is becoming less of a speedrunning event and more of a weird art installation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If it didn't evolve into that, I doubt we would see TASBlock every year. It would fall into the same category as the Tetris Block: loving awesome if this is your first encounter with it but otherwise the impact is much less for people who have seen it before. This year the TAS guys definitely topped themselves rapidly ending a couple games (so still within the realm of games done quickly!), then quietly have them connect to an audio/video stream to provide that experience.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Each year, TASBlock is becoming less of a speedrunning event and more of a weird art installation.

I agree, but I also entirely don't want them to stop because it's loving bananas.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, I'm not complaining. I think it's amazing what the TAS community manages to pull off. I just found it amusing that the actual speedruns were almost an afterthought (though the SM64 run is amazing and deserves to be seen in HD quality).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining. I think it's amazing what the TAS community manages to pull off. I just found it amusing that the actual speedruns were almost an afterthought (though the SM64 run is amazing and deserves to be seen in HD quality).
That's one way to get people to go watch the actual videos and get hooked, as you so kindly demonstrate

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm feeling really bad for Bubbles, he's a cool guy and it's a cool run but this is really not going well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So did the crash corrupt his save or something? What exactly happened here?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, can't watch any more live, Super Metroid and Undertale are at lol gently caress you o' clock for me, and not interested in Dark Souls 3. My final university semester stars on Monday, can't gently caress up that sleeping pattern too much.

Keep coming with the suggestions, I'll collect them for the recommendations list tomorrow.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

King of Solomon posted:

So did the crash corrupt his save or something? What exactly happened here?
Save is not useless but it would take too long to redo it all, so he loaded a safety save

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
op you don't have the contra block in your recs list and i'm distraught, easily a top-tier block

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Is the Undertale run genocide or peaceful?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hy_C posted:

True pacifist with a donation incentive (that was met) for fighting the genocide boss (you know which one).

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Hy_C posted:

True Pacifist, because it's by far the better run of the two.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

mandatory lesbian posted:

op you don't have the contra block in your recs list and i'm distraught, easily a top-tier block
Yeah last update of it was before the Mystery Game Tournament so it's because of that. The list will get more complete tomorrow.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Man, you guys weren't kidding, the Vice City run is great. I absolutely lost it when the runner killed Lance a second time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The other thread got clsoed for some reason, MORE SILENCE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

399,790.09 vs 393,896.29, for the record.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
This is dreary as gently caress. Which super Metroid race had the best commentary? I'm struggling to remember, but there was a hallmark race with insane sportscast style play by plays which really pushed the envelope on what speedrun commentary should be.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Zoast reigns supreme as always

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think that was the joke

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thread got closed cause the runners need QUIET

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SqueePower posted:

This is dreary as gently caress. Which super Metroid race had the best commentary? I'm struggling to remember, but there was a hallmark race with insane sportscast style play by plays which really pushed the envelope on what speedrun commentary should be.

2014 I think.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SqueePower posted:

I watched the Sunshine race live and it was pretty dope because the couch could actually commentate.

It's a surprisingly hard skill, as aptly being demonstrated here.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It was a really, really close race between Zoast and Behemoth, but the horrific commentary sucked all enthusiasm out of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
rip my twitter mentions after daring to tweet the word "transphobia" at the gdq twitter

• Locked thread