Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh holy poo poo. YOU ARE A ROBOT RIDING A BIGGER ROBOT. I never pieced that together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Everything kills people in TF2. Even the smoke grenade murders dudes and the grappling hook harpoons guys. There is very little in the game that does not create death in some capacity.

Grappling someone doesn't actually kill them but pulls them toward you to kick in the face.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

MarshyMcFly posted:

Grappling someone doesn't actually kill them but pulls them toward you to kick in the face.
You mean that class could let me be future Roadhog? GOTY.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Pierson posted:

http://i.imgur.com/SvaVFFx.gifv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Everything kills people in TF2. Even the smoke grenade murders dudes and the grappling hook harpoons guys. There is very little in the game that does not create death in some capacity.

Except the knife, which, upon stabbing someone in the spine, makes them fall in love with you and fight for your cause.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Kelp Me! posted:

the lstar :haw:

:thurman:

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Got my first phase kill on some rear end in a top hat in a corner with a CAR earlier and picked this one up completely on accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xNmCIQxT4

hopefully the balancing includes not having your ronin immediately explode from phase shifting into another titan, that poo poo is the worst

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
This Ronin followed me all the way from the dome as I backed up and took pot shots with the laser and tried to get me one last time with a nuke eject. :frogbon:

http://i.imgur.com/IZGiDhA.gifv

Northstar using its tether? :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/3GblURu.gifv

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pierson posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's super hosed up, you can see the grapple actually switch from the wall to the dude.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I got this as an Xmas gift on PS4, but haven't opened it and would rather have it on PC. Anyone wanna do some sort of Steam trade?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Fuzz posted:

I got this as an Xmas gift on PS4, but haven't opened it and would rather have it on PC. Anyone wanna do some sort of Steam trade?

Dunno if it makes a difference to you but TF2 is on EA's Origin service only.

Also if you decide to keep it on PS4 I have it on that system too so we could group up if you were interested. I'm primarily on Xbox but I maxed leveled on Xbox so I'll be playing on PS4 here and there while I wait for them to increase the regen cap.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So is there any EU Goon Presence on PC I could join up as a noob?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So is there any EU Goon Presence on PC I could join up as a noob?

Yes, just join the Discord in the OP. :)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Someone talk to me about the ion. Damage seems sub par, ronin mobility and tones missile wreck me. Legion I can do well against mostly if the enemy is an idiot and fires a thousand rounds into my vortex shield. North Star seems to have the edge if I can't close.

I do well enough but it seems it lacks the damage to do well in a straight up fight unless my opponent screws up but walking into trip wire (which doesn't even work half the time because there is no los between the beacons) or thinks it can unload with impunity into my vortex shield.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except the knife, which, upon stabbing someone in the spine, makes them fall in love with you and fight for your cause.

Robots are not people :colbert:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

xxEightxx posted:

Someone talk to me about the ion. Damage seems sub par, ronin mobility and tones missile wreck me. Legion I can do well against mostly if the enemy is an idiot and fires a thousand rounds into my vortex shield. North Star seems to have the edge if I can't close.

I do well enough but it seems it lacks the damage to do well in a straight up fight unless my opponent screws up but walking into trip wire (which doesn't even work half the time because there is no los between the beacons) or thinks it can unload with impunity into my vortex shield.
The thing about the Ion to remember is that the primary weapon is a lie. That gun in the titan's hands is actually not your primary damage source, it's your shoulder laser. That laser hits hard, hits fast, is super accurate and has amazingly long range. The only reason you use the primary weapon is to synergize with the titan kit that builds up the Ion's battery faster; you use that in combination with the shoulder laser and things die super quickly. Also the hand shield is super good because it blocks 100% damage and people are mostly dumb and will empty out their entire clip trying to shoot you. So you wait for them to expend their entire clip, switch to your primary to fill back up your battery and then shoulder laser them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

xxEightxx posted:

I do well enough but it seems it lacks the damage to do well in a straight up fight

Don't engage in straight up fights. Shield Tone's missiles and eat the 40mm while firing your cannon. If they're doing the usual Tone/Northstar peeking thing just walk away from that fight after punching them with a laser. With Ronin just pray they're a dumb burn-all-dashes-to-run-at-you-with-sword Ronin, I guess.

Blind Duke posted:

Robots are not people :colbert:

Mods?!?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

xxEightxx posted:

Ion is the Titan of Titans. She's got an answer to almost every situation, but at the same time requires strategy and energy awareness.

Laser against Titan weak spots. Laser against pilots, and if they go into a building drop a tripwire node in the doorway.

Rock an extra dash for mobility or use overcore so the Laser Core is more often accessible. Nuke Eject doesn't benefit Ion as much since she usually excels at midrange combat.

Shield against Northstar, Tone, Legion, especially the latter two. Tone's only option against a well played Ion is Salvo Core.

Ronin is the most noticeable weak spot for Ion, use Refractory Lens and the splitter rifle will do a ton more damage, but save enough energy for a tripwire mine.

Tripwire against Scorch and grab those gas canisters with the shield. Stay out of close range to avoid Flame Core.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
They really need to do something about Tone's Salvo Core, it's crazy how good it is. Amazing tracking that lets you delay it and go over buildings, plus it can basically outright kill most titans near full if most of it connects.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Before you do that you should know the playerbase is a lot smaller on PC, at least it is in Aus/NZ and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case elsewhere. I'm talking a literal 10/1 difference when I checked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, PS4 is basically where the action is.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ion is the Titan of Titans. She's got an answer to almost every situation, but at the same time requires strategy and energy awareness.

Laser against Titan weak spots. Laser against pilots, and if they go into a building drop a tripwire node in the doorway.

Rock an extra dash for mobility or use overcore so the Laser Core is more often accessible. Nuke Eject doesn't benefit Ion as much since she usually excels at midrange combat.

Shield against Northstar, Tone, Legion, especially the latter two. Tone's only option against a well played Ion is Salvo Core.

Ronin is the most noticeable weak spot for Ion, use Refractory Lens and the splitter rifle will do a ton more damage, but save enough energy for a tripwire mine.

Tripwire against Scorch and grab those gas canisters with the shield. Stay out of close range to avoid Flame Core.

Thanks for the writeup. I had no idea you could shield gas canisters. Now it kinda seems crazy how many times I've been able to kill Ion's as Scorch.

I still really like Legion even though I end up getting ruined in most cases. I do so much better in games as Tone, but I dont find it as much fun as just dumping a minigun into whatever walks past. If anyone has Fire Hot Tips for Legion Im all ears.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
After spending four minutes plinking away at a very dodgy titan I sure do appreciate fatass friendly Ogre titans waddling down the hallway I was using to finish off the enemy titan

I need 250 titan kills as Northstar for a sickass skin!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Yo thanks thread for ion tips. I switched things up and spammed my laser, using my gun more for refill, and mobility to avoid stand up fights. Had a lot more success.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's actually really surprising how much stronger the shoulder laser is compared to the splitter rifle.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It turns out that nuclear retaliation does not always mean mutual destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNjgElZIjc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

It turns out that nuclear retaliation does not always mean mutual destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhNjgElZIjc

I do everything I can when my Titan's shot to hell at round's end to try and carry it to the Dropship. Oh, you're shooting my Titan while it's right under your ride home?

Thank you! :unsmigghh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

After spending four minutes plinking away at a very dodgy titan I sure do appreciate fatass friendly Ogre titans waddling down the hallway I was using to finish off the enemy titan

I need 250 titan kills as Northstar for a sickass skin!

I 100% wish Titan friendly fire was on all of the time because of this poo poo.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

xxEightxx posted:

One of the big plusses a Ion has right now is a bug where if you gather even just a little amount of a Legion's bullets in your shield and fire them at a titans feet (not in their face) it will loving wreck them into doomed state.

Seriously, one close range power shot and a 1/2 second of mini gunning caught in a shield and an Ion taking advantage of the bug dropped me from almost full health to doomed and executed in maybe 3 seconds.

As Ion, you can do pilot and titan harassment using your laser and catch any poo poo they throw at you and throw it right the gently caress back. It's an incredibly accurate titan at all ranges with good damage and good survivability with a powerful core ability. Stay away from close quarters with no cover or groups, focus on long or medium engagements and just gently caress up pilots on rooftops with your lasers or their own grenades/archer rockets.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I've been getting stomped hard the last few days and the fun has kinda gone out of it. Does matchmaking compensate for this? I feel like I'm playing players who are way above my skill level. I'm rank 30 if that matters.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the same problem. I just started, so I wasn't sure if I'm just that bad at it or if I was really getting matched up with people who were that good

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It probably doesn't help that I'm on PC, and the pool of players is that much smaller.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yup, I hope it gets better when you can chooseyour Mixtape modes

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

c0burn posted:

It probably doesn't help that I'm on PC, and the pool of players is that much smaller.

During primetime in the US you should be ok, and that's coming from someone with a 350+ ping to US servers. If you're not in the US you're playing against the last few remaining psychotics who live and breathe the game and your only hope is to out-titan them because you won't out-cod them.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mailer posted:

During primetime in the US you should be ok, and that's coming from someone with a 350+ ping to US servers. If you're not in the US you're playing against the last few remaining psychotics who live and breathe the game and your only hope is to out-titan them because you won't out-cod them.

I'm in the UK :(

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I had no idea you could shield gas canisters. Now it kinda seems crazy how many times I've been able to kill Ion's as Scorch.

I still really like Legion even though I end up getting ruined in most cases. I do so much better in games as Tone, but I dont find it as much fun as just dumping a minigun into whatever walks past. If anyone has Fire Hot Tips for Legion Im all ears.

one thing i dont think the game mentions anywhere is that smart core gives you unlimited ammo for the duration so 100% feel free to switch to long range mode before you pop it and ignore the double ammo cost drawback

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

c0burn posted:

I'm in the UK :(

I'm rarely on, but we have a goon EU network. [BRXT]
Is your Origin name c0burn too?

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

c0burn posted:

I've been getting stomped hard the last few days and the fun has kinda gone out of it. Does matchmaking compensate for this? I feel like I'm playing players who are way above my skill level. I'm rank 30 if that matters.

I don't want to sound at all condescending but for newer players I really recommend watching some mobility tutorial videos. Even if you can't hit pilots for a bit when constantly wall running and sliding, just being hard to hit and predict makes a huge difference. Being up above other players gives you a huge advantage and you don't need to scope most of the guns to fire them accurately. Again, I have not seen your playstyle so I apologise if that is not the issue you're having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Switching servers doesn't appear to anything, I tried connecting to one of the US data centres and the amount of people playing on the mode-select screen remained the same.

I'm in the UK too and there's about 5k people playing in primetime, a 1000 or so in actual games. There's usually at least one person per-team who is a hardcore speed demon but one person can't save an awful team so it seems to balance out even if it can get annoying seeing the same killcam death after death. After about a week I've got some basic survival tips down which has helped a lot. Just staying mobile and high 90% of the time seems to keep me from being free points for the other team.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 15, 2017