Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What do y'all think about The Man in the High Castle?

not a fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Its dumb popcorn entertainment tbh

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
jacobin is okay if you indulge in it sparingly

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What do y'all think about The Man in the High Castle?

Not Wolfenstein-y enough.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, it's not like it was as good as Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul or Manhattan or Halt and Catch Fire or many other recent TV serials, but I thought it captures the Philip K. Dickish surrealism with social commentary well.

I feel really uncultured, though, I've never read the book and pretty much everyone I've talked to about it has. :sweatdrop:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Halt and Catch Fire became a much better show after the first season after they stopped trying to be mad men but in the 80s

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

kustomkarkommando posted:

its alrite

The second season being about Nazis vs really bad Nazis was weird though. Like the head of the SS in America refusing to launch reprisal attacks on civilians to crush a burgeoning rebellion because we can't hurt our own people seemed very... Not nazi

the purity of american liberty and justice is powerful enough to convert the Nazis

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, it's not like it was as good as Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul or Manhattan or Halt and Catch Fire or many other recent TV serials, but I thought it captures the Philip K. Dickish surrealism with social commentary well.

I feel really uncultured, though, I've never read the book and pretty much everyone I've talked to about it has. :sweatdrop:

they're probably lying op

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

Halt and Catch Fire became a much better show after the first season after they stopped trying to be mad men but in the 80s

I liked both seasons.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

they're probably lying op

My Mommy would never lie to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tesseraction posted:

symphogear owns

Yeah the first season was fantastic.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

phillip k dick isnt really a great read anyways so you're not missing much

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My Mommy would never lie to me.

hooooo boy, got some sad news for you

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Berke Negri posted:

having read two of his anthologies, this is very true

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the purity of american liberty and justice is powerful enough to convert the Nazis

They went out of the way in the second season to say the American head of the SS was a decorated veteran of the American army in the pacific theatre who personally witnessed the Nuclear bombing of Washington who seems to value order and stability and peace.

The whole fact he was actively involved in the Holocaust as explained in the first season didn't really get another mention

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

chelb..... you are the father.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Berke Negri posted:

Days of Perky Pat offers an interesting speculation into post-Trumpian America, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know what anime does that's great but American TV never does? Play the opening theme song during the big final fight.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Furnaceface posted:

chelb..... you are the father.

is this shipping

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know what anime does that's great but American TV never does? Play the opening theme song during the big final fight.

isn't c-spam back the way you came weird pedo guy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Don't you go after an Israeli's mother, that's a :can: you do not want to open.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezrbyf6t9mY

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah the first season was fantastic.

G is even better.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, Castle Wolfenstein is not something to aspire to due to geographical inaccuracies. In real life it is more of a highland than mountaneous terrain. :colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Randler do you even know how to have fun?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like you should already know the answer to that one.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Majorian posted:

Im from Canada its kind of our thing to always give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I also apologize to furniture when I bump into it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

asimov is a better read than philip k. dick

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The novel was less about "what if the nazis won" and more about "what is real and does it matter?" At one point the characters even have a discussion about whether or not alternate history can be classified as science fiction

Majorian posted:

The fact that he's german should be answer enough.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Randler is a German jurist, when he wants to have fun he fills out an application for Fun Allotment in triplicate and waits the required two to three weeks for processing.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Chelb posted:

too much weird boning

r. daneel olivaw and his tumescent at will robo dong

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

Asimov was way too "tell, not show" in many of his novels. I think Heinlein was better before he completely lost it.

Alhazred posted:

The novel was less about "what if the nazis won" and more about "what is real and does it matter?" At one point the characters even have a discussion about whether or not alternate history can be classified as science fiction

I can't fault Amazon for not focusing entirely on that; a straight adaptation would have had way less of an audience.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

stone cold posted:

too much weird boning

r. daneel olivaw and his tumescent at will robo dong

yeah

it was real weird to go through the robot series and finish the first two books written in the 50s, which is this mildly fun robot detective stuff with a teen character that says "aw shucks" and "aw golly"

and then start reading the third one without knowing it was written thirty years later and get a woman philosophizing about using a robot as a sex companion

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pretty certain this was her policy for a while now.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Chelb posted:

yeah

it was real weird to go through the robot series and finish the first two books written in the 50s, which is this mildly fun robot detective stuff with a teen character that says "aw shucks" and "aw golly"

and then start reading the third one without knowing it was written thirty years later and get a woman philosophizing about using a robot as a sex companion

all i know was that poo poo was messed up

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i maintain that asimov became more tedious in his later years

anyway, we all know the only sci fi author anyone really needs is ursula k le guin

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Furnaceface posted:

Of course. That is when you're blood pressure craters to a degree that you black out and enter oblivion's tender embrace, right?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

no no i'm sure they will calm down and not do anything rash

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe I can get a job being a border guard

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chelb posted:

i maintain that asimov became more tedious in his later years

anyway, we all know the only sci fi author anyone really needs is ursula k le guin

I just got around to The Left Hand of Darkness a few months ago, and that was just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
no one ever mentions bova :(

• Locked thread