Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

twistedmentat posted:

That promo art looks like it should be on an SNES game cart.

Why can't Marvel just do storylines rather than big rear end events? Haven't they realized that events are not bringing in the readers?

Oh Twisted. Twisted, Twisted, Twisted.

Of course they loving haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The fact that they keep doing them speaks the opposite to me, that even though some people are pissy about them they must actually increase interest in titles. They wouldn't do it otherwise. I'm sure they have plenty of data from physical sales and digital sales to backup their strategy. I'm guessing that events are probably also a good seller for trades.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Googling up sales numbers for each month:

Civil War 2 #0: 2nd highest selling comic of May 2016
Civil War 2 #1: Top selling comic of June 2016
Civil War 2 #2: 5th highest selling comic of June 2016
Civil War 2 #3: 4th highest selling comic of July 2016
Civil War 2 #4: 7th highest selling comic of July 2016
Civil War 2 #5: 4th highest selling comic of September 2016
Civil War 2 #6: 7th highest selling comic of October 2016
Civil War 2 #7: 3rd highest selling comic of November 2016
Civil War 2 #8: 6th highest selling comic of December 2016

Source: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

The only things that outsold Civil War 2 consistently were Batman, new number 1 issues, a comic that got bundled with a loot crate in October, and in December and May: Other event comics (DC Universe Rebirth in May, Justice League vs Suicide Squad and Inhumans vs X-Men in December).

So, I think it's pretty safe to say that despite how much hate I saw being directed at Civil War 2, it still sold very well. That doesn't necessarily mean that event comics will always remain profitable, but it's pretty clear that Marvel sees no reason to stop making them anytime soon. I think if DC hadn't come out with Rebirth, then Marvel would have gone on with their usual domination of the market.

I've heard of new readers coming in for stuff like Ms. Marvel dropping out because they don't care for stuff like Civil War 2, but looking at the numbers, it's hard to tell if it's because of Civil War 2 specifically, or the usual drop off as a series goes on.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 14, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Very anecdotal accounts from stores (and also from BleedingCool, so...keep that in mind) seems to suggest a lot of dissatisfaction with Marvel, but that unfortunately seems to hurt their regular titles moreso than their events?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

But if you look back at 2006-2007 http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2006/2006-05.html -> http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2007/2007-02.html there wasn't a month where Civil War wasn't #1.
'Course all it looks like it was up against was 52 (not to disparage 52) and Rebirth as a whole is a bit bigger of a thing, but you just can't be happy when your primo thing is two spots behind some standard issue of Green Arrow, or whatever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

head58 posted:

Alan Arkin cast as Blackagar Boltagon in next Avengers movie CONFIRMED!

Too bad Peter Falk is dead as he could play Maximus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We hate most Marvel at our store. And the only "good" Marvel books sell like poo poo for us.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

But if you look back at 2006-2007 http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2006/2006-05.html -> http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2007/2007-02.html there wasn't a month where Civil War wasn't #1.
'Course all it looks like it was up against was 52 (not to disparage 52) and Rebirth as a whole is a bit bigger of a thing, but you just can't be happy when your primo thing is two spots behind some standard issue of Green Arrow, or whatever.

Sure, but ten years later, and still in the Top 10 every month is still good enough to keep at it.

I'm not saying it's a smart idea for Marvel to keep doing this. They've gone overboard with plenty of ideas to sell comics, gain short-term profits, and then have that bite them in the rear end plenty of times, so I'm expecting it to happen to event comics eventually. But I have doubts that it'll be because of any of the events this year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now, who's looking forward to Monsters Unleashed this week?!

Cullen Bunn isn't the most exciting prospect, but you'd have to try pretty hard to not make rampaging monsters fun, so I'll be there!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Onmi posted:

Oh Twisted. Twisted, Twisted, Twisted.

Of course they loving haven't.

Marvel is joining Apple and Nintendo in going "We don't care what you want, you're gonna accept what we give you".

I feel like Marvel needs some serious shakeup in the upper levels of editorial. Or is this direction more from the business end?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If I recall correctly the only 'event' that demonstrably hurt sales of books involved was Amazons Attack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

twistedmentat posted:

Marvel is joining Apple and Nintendo in going "We don't care what you want, you're gonna accept what we give you".

Apple at least has proven they can get away with it.

Nintendo and Marvel... not so much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Nintendo... not so much.

What do you want me to do? NOT visit New Donk City? That's not living.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think this might be a case of people being in a bubble where folks don't generally like events. Events are never that popular around here and I think you're mistaking that for being what everyone thinks. Like when people were talking about how much everyone hated Superior Spider-Man when the vast majority of people not on this forum actually really liked that story.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd say CW2 was pretty popularly not popular http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/civil-war-ii

It would've gone down fine on this forum if it was good at all. Plenty here are admittedly enjoying IVX even after getting sick of the Inhumans and downright hating Death of X.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could have sworn that sales data showed events were tending in decreased sales. Or is just Rebirth such a juggernaught that it's knocked Marvel down to where a success last year looks like failure this year.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

We hate most Marvel at our store. And the only "good" Marvel books sell like poo poo for us.

I mean most of the places I frequent pass around collage screen caps of how much Marvel's overshipping books or the good old traditional GLA/Mosaic Offer of "But this, get this free, because we can't sell this and we are desperate to get this off our shelves." It's why I typically ask if you've been overshipped stuff, because I trust you to tell the truth.

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like Marvel needs some serious shakeup in the upper levels of editorial. Or is this direction more from the business end?

Here's what Marvel needs to do. Get the writers and editors off loving twitter. They'd probably be far more productive if Alex Alonso would do his job loving as Editor-In-Chief and actually make sure poo poo is consistent. And we probably wouldn't have had Civil War II delays if Bendis could shut his mouth. And god, lets not even get into how much more productive things would be if Dan Slott wasn't constantly searching his own name. Nick Spencer could maybe focus on writing a compelling book than trying to poo poo on DC in a desperate attempt to make people give a gently caress about what he's writing. Failing that, fire them! Bring in some new blood, people who can do their jobs and write stories that are consistent with one another.

Like anyone trying to say Civil War II was a good thing. Fun story, turns out during that event, Kamala's book sales have been down. It was such poison that it hurt her book. Do you know I actually wanted to look back and see how old comics used to do, and during the 90's I don't think there was a month that X-Men wasn't the top book? Like it wasn't even close.

gently caress em, I say. Brand loyalty is the worst thing you can hold. Read a book if it's good, don't if it's poo poo.

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn that sales data showed events were tending in decreased sales. Or is just Rebirth such a juggernaught that it's knocked Marvel down to where a success last year looks like failure this year.

Oh. No. Civil War II absolutely did bad for an Event. Mind you, still it's for "an event" which do good buys even if they're poo poo. But it's absolutely not the numbers they would have wanted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

What do you want me to do? NOT visit New Donk City? That's not living.

Take me down to New Donk City
Where Yoshi's green
And the Toads are pretty
Oh, won't you please take me home?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guys, guys, the latest issue of Mighty Thor was really good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It both irritates and comforts me to know that the Shi'ar will always, without fail, be the top tier fuckmongers of the universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

Guys, guys, the latest issue of Mighty Thor was really good.

I'm really excited for this because Asgard and Space Bird Jerks are not groups that pull their punches, shits gonna get deadly. Though if Angela had been in Asgard, there would have been a lot more feathered heads around.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

twistedmentat posted:

I vaguely recall seeing that Marvel is bundling in 'bonus' copies of comics to some retailers to bump their numbers? I can't prove it isn't just gossip without going on a Twitter binge, and that's just not in my best interest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clawtopsy posted:

I vaguely recall seeing that Marvel is bundling in 'bonus' copies of comics to some retailers to bump their numbers? I can't prove it isn't just gossip without going on a Twitter binge, and that's just not in my best interest.

This is true but it's as few as one extra copy in most cases. Like we got 11 different free comics last week, mostly one of each book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Event books seem to be succeeding less than they used to, if I recall correctly - but they're still reliably succeeding, which isn't something most anything else being done by comics companies can say.

Like, for every wildly successful new book that Marvel puts out, there are half a dozen that fail. Even if they're really good books, like - to pick a couple that I loved that sold miserably - Mockingbird or The Order. Meanwhile, even if the event books aren't blowing up like they did ten years ago, they're still consistently and reliably selling. Why on Earth would Marvel say "let's stop doing the one thing that works for us on a regular basis so we can focus more effort on the things that only work twenty percent of the time on a good day"? Wouldn't that be kinda the stupidest loving business decision that they could make, one that would almost certainly see their Disney corporate overlords come in and say "yeah letting you guys do your own thing was nice and all but gently caress that noise, we're going to be giving you your marching orders now, nothing gets out the door without six months of focus testing and market research"?

I mean, I get frustrated with event comics as much as the next guy, but the company does still exist to make money, y'know?

(E: upon rereading this comes off as a little snippy, I now realize; I'm not trying to snipe at you, twistedmentat, it's just that the whole environment around comics these days frustrates me)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I'm really excited for this because Asgard and Space Bird Jerks are not groups that pull their punches, shits gonna get deadly. Though if Angela had been in Asgard, there would have been a lot more feathered heads around.

Angela vs Warbird would be great. It was nice to see Kid Gladiator, and you can imagine Gladiator was at full power because he was on a mission from his gods. His righteous confidence probably makes him nearly unstoppable.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
A fairly cursory Google search turned up this. I do remember one of the store guys I follow tweeting about huge amounts of oversupply, I'll track it down later if it's okay to rekindle this conversation? Just a bit busy typing up other junk to turn into a Twitter Archaeologist right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Event books seem to be succeeding less than they used to, if I recall correctly - but they're still reliably succeeding, which isn't something most anything else being done by comics companies can say.

Like, for every wildly successful new book that Marvel puts out, there are half a dozen that fail. Even if they're really good books, like - to pick a couple that I loved that sold miserably - Mockingbird or The Order. Meanwhile, even if the event books aren't blowing up like they did ten years ago, they're still consistently and reliably selling. Why on Earth would Marvel say "let's stop doing the one thing that works for us on a regular basis so we can focus more effort on the things that only work twenty percent of the time on a good day"? Wouldn't that be kinda the stupidest loving business decision that they could make, one that would almost certainly see their Disney corporate overlords come in and say "yeah letting you guys do your own thing was nice and all but gently caress that noise, we're going to be giving you your marching orders now, nothing gets out the door without six months of focus testing and market research"?

I mean, I get frustrated with event comics as much as the next guy, but the company does still exist to make money, y'know?

(E: upon rereading this comes off as a little snippy, I now realize; I'm not trying to snipe at you, twistedmentat, it's just that the whole environment around comics these days frustrates me)

Buddy. Go read the Death of WCW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clawtopsy posted:

A fairly cursory Google search turned up this. I do remember one of the store guys I follow tweeting about huge amounts of oversupply, I'll track it down later if it's okay to rekindle this conversation? Just a bit busy typing up other junk to turn into a Twitter Archaeologist right now.

The overship is based on your initial order on previous issues. So for Mosiac #1 we got one free copy because we knew it would underperform and we only ordered ten copies. The more you order initially, the more free copies Marvel decides to send your way. The exception is certain #1s. For Hawkeye, Hulk and Rocket Racoon they did a 100% overship. So that's about 100 extra comics my shop didn't need as we ordered perfectly on those series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And those are all counted on Diamond sales charts, right? So those things are starting to get meaningless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've considered most sales data from any company mostly useless since digital has become so big now. I mean I've never bought a single physical issue of a Valiant comic but I have everything they've published in my Comixology account. And more and more people are doing the same. I mean it's still a decent comparative barometer for some stuff but other stuff surely gets shortchanged looking only at physical copies. And that's not even considering stuff like Injustice or Marvel's Infinite comics that release digitally weeks and months before they ever have a physical print.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I really like AN Wolverine, but please, can we move behind the old trigger scent chestnut? We already did years ago anyway, and while it's not exactly a rehash of the old stuff, I'm sure there are more stories to tell with Laura.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

I really like AN Wolverine, but please, can we move behind the old trigger scent chestnut? We already did years ago anyway, and while it's not exactly a rehash of the old stuff, I'm sure there are more stories to tell with Laura.

Fingers crossed this story puts it to bed. This is the first time we've seen it in this run, though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Decius posted:

Fully completely agree, however, the scene of her "coffin" being dropped from the helicopter was so cool I said "this is how they need to cold-open the Laura movie". Which I've said like ten times already this series but the point stands. Hopefully this arc ends with her developing an immunity or something.
I got the first volume of the collected X-23 (for X-Mas, [get it? haha]) and I like that it has little sorta-recap pages when the story jumps over something that isn't collected. I just wish the NYX one said "You're fuckin' better off not knowing, I promise".

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

That Cassaday art is terrible.

Did he have a stroke or something or is he just pulling a Howard Chaykin and putting out lovely, lazy work because he'll still get jobs off the strength of his old work?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lazy. That story he did for Captain America's anniversary during Pleasent Hill was on point.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like Hickman events. Please to be giving me more and let him team up with Christopher Nolan for ultimate gestalt head up assery while directed by Tarsem Singh for the whole Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity and a Secret Wars 7 movie series. TIA.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hell lets just get Hickman to co-write an event comic with Ewing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been a few rumors that Hickman is on the outs with Marvel right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That is unfortunate news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

That is unfortunate news

Well he turned down the X-Men project and what started as a joke about going to DC seems to be inching closer to reality.

• Locked thread