Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I usually just put a paperclip or one of those shirt clips on the lock loops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i was setting up my new ps4 and it took me like 4 tries to get the password right because it's a 15-character generated one and i couldn't see what i was typing in because of the password entry field

if you're gonna use dots for letters at least let the user unmask it like windows

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

if you put locks on your bag and they are not TSA the TSA will cut them off but yeah they're useless either way cause of 100 reasons. the only way to secure checked baggage is to get a hard case with a good lock and transport firearms in it along w/ everything else.

This is the correct way to transport things "securely." Another way is sometimes at large airports you can get your luggage TSA wrapped which makes it less likely to be tampered with.

Otherwise for casual security this "birthday" lock is fine.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 15, 2017

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Another way is sometimes at large airports you can get your luggage TSA wrapped which makes it less likely to be tampered with because.

what, like they stick a bunch of runes and prayers that ward off tsa agents on your luggage or something?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they charge you fifteen bucks to wrap your bag with a pound of cling wrap

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kazinsal posted:

Yep.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

I only ever see those in lovely airports

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

So, like O'Hare or LAX?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

spankmeister posted:

I mean yea. It's useful for going outside the US as well.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kazinsal posted:

i saw a woman in Spain take a tiny paper carrier bag to one of those and come back with a 2 foot diameter ball of plastic. i don't know what the gently caress her plans for it were or how she was going to get it unwrapped.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
lol if tsa cuts it open the people who buy that sort of poo poo will try to save their 2 pounds of saran wrap too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wild EEPROM posted:

lol if tsa cuts it open the people who buy that sort of poo poo will try to save their 2 pounds of saran wrap too.

The TSA specifically DOESN'T cut it open. That's the point. It's sealed with anti-tamper TSA tape.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

then how do they check it for valuable bomb components

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

then how do they check it for valuable bomb components
they probably do that before in front of you, like if they want to inspect your gun case

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

they probably do that before in front of you, like if they want to inspect your gun case

i mean i only saw the "wrapping" poo poo a couple times a while ago and i seem to remember them being far away from where the TSA was but it was a long time ago so who knows if I'm remembering it right

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yeah i saw those all over eastern europe

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Welp

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/admung/status/820518665783156736

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i know what site that's a screenshot of and IIRC it was specifically implemented so that google would stop automatically downloading every possible file and flagging the entire site as a malware host based on false positives

(e: whether or not it actually worked, i have no idea)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Meat Beat Agent posted:

i know what site that's a screenshot of and IIRC it was specifically implemented so that google would stop automatically downloading every possible file and flagging the entire site as a malware host based on false positives

(e: whether or not it actually worked, i have no idea)

Robots.txt?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.techrepublic.com/videos/video-rudy-giuliana-explains-how-we-need-to-fix-the-cybersecurity-crisis/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

vOv posted:

i was setting up my new ps4 and it took me like 4 tries to get the password right because it's a 15-character generated one and i couldn't see what i was typing in because of the password entry field

if you're gonna use dots for letters at least let the user unmask it like windows

:agreed:

It's 2017, there's no excuse for non optional masking anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hmmm, yes, that is definitely someone that knows all about cyber security

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hobbesmaster posted:

hmmm, yes, that is definitely someone that knows all about cyber 9/11

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uhh hello thread, did you have a fun trip to the space between worlds for the last 24 hours?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

welcome back thread!

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

geonetix posted:

welcome back thread!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
*that mcrib is back comic but with secfuck is back instead*

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://textslashplain.com/2017/01/14/the-line-of-death/

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I guess we're back?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blink twice if you've been replaced with a replicant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

geonetix posted:

welcome back thread!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

:wink:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Luigi Thirty posted:

i want more life, secfucker

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
just my luck, I get out of kitty jail just in time for the thread to be disappeared <:mad:>

italy is currently being rocked by a bizarre scandal of the cyber persuasion. the occhionero siblings, entrepreneurs in the finance sector, freemasons and by all accounts smart people (he's a nuclear engineer, she's a chemistry phd), are found to be conducting a multi-year spearfishing campaign against politicians, entrepreneurs and... other freemasons. their spyware appears to have been entirely developed in-house, and it's been active since at least 2011. kaspersky describes it as "amateurish" but I've gotten my hands on a recent sample and it appears to have been developed by someone who, if not a cybercriminal, has at least an idea of how malware analysis is done and how to slow it down. well, at least the anti-analysis protection and obfuscation was, and I know it's not a commercial framework because the few unobfuscated strings are unique to the malware

on the other hand, the occhionero siblings made huge, gigantic opsec blunders, and I argue that they had outside help with the malware development, because they clearly aren't serious criminals. consider the strongest piece of evidence against them: the malware exfiltrates data by sending e-mails and uses a commercial component to do so, which requires a license code to unlock. not only the malware contains said license code, but italian police asked the fbi for help, the fbi obtained the name of the licensee, and it was the occhionero brother: the guy had virtually embedded his real name in his phishing malware

on the other other hand, when the police came to arrest them, the brother rebooted the bitlocker-encrypted computer and now refuses to provide the password, while the sister locked her smartcard by entering the wrong pin several times. it's not going to help them much because the amount of evidence against them is impressive: they didn't just embed personally identifying information in the malware, they also hosted the c&c server on their company's website, and they talked about their dirty business on regular cleartext phone calls, that the police duly wiretapped

all considered, the campaign wasn't terribly successful. of about 18000 targets, only about 10% are estimated to have been compromised

the motive is still a mystery. insider trading seems to be the current consensus

the malware samples I've seen raise some extremely obvious red flags when run in the simplest of the automated analysis tools, and they're clearly part of a shared lineage dating back years, so it's a little amazing to me that it took so long for it to be noticed

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
this is an interesting and cool post. keep us updated on the details because I've not seen much but ~Trump News~ over this way.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hackbunny posted:

the malware samples I've seen raise some extremely obvious red flags when run in the simplest of the automated analysis tools, and they're clearly part of a shared lineage dating back years, so it's a little amazing to me that it took so long for it to be noticed

Considering how good everyone including myself is at clicking away big red boxes this shouldn't be a surprise.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah 10% seems on the low-scale, but long-term spearfishing across 18k targets? how many organisations were involved and what was the level of personalisation? where on the hierarchy were the targets mainly based, and were there obvious attempts at avoiding anyone who'd flag malware or inspect it? v interested in the tech details as kaspersky aren't exactly the most reliable on attribution

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

geonetix posted:

welcome back thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

secfuck thread: the most secure thread on the forums for 24 short hours

• Locked thread