Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Bringing Imperial Assassins sounds like a terrible idea for Kill Team...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jes Goodwin and Steve Buddle discuss designing the Triumvirate of the Imperium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMbY33Xp5yM

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ilor posted:

If you browse the painting boards at the miniwargaming.com forums, users Sperian and Guildenstern have both done Orky conversions, both of which are well-executed. Sperian in particular has done a ton of looted vehicles. There's one based on a WW2 Stuart (or Lee maybe?) that's especially bad-rear end.

Handy links:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=115236&start=780#p1067328

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=112598&start=195

These are pretty great conversions. Also RIP Ramshackle :smith:

Lungboy posted:

Would GSC Neophyte Hybrids make a decent Killteam?

I got wiped by Dark Angels since I don't think GSC can deploy with Cult Ambush in KT--however, it was a close game. A real weakness is that extra wounds don't carry over to other members of the team, so lots of them go to waste and leave your dudes standing atop enemy corpses only to join them next turn riddled with bullets.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Technowolf posted:

This was neat, I really like the looks behind the scenes GW have been doing lately. There was another interview with Jes on their Twitch stream the other day where he talked about the hierarchy of hats.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Part-crossposting from the AoS thread.

SteelMentor posted:

Leaks of the second wave of Tzeentch stuff.

Kairos:

Changeling:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Kairos :3:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I hope someone brings Kairos to a game and my Knight can stomp him into the loving dirt where he and all his daemon bros belong.
(model looks dope though, and the Changeling looks great)

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Hey y'all! I've been thinking about getting back into 40k after about 12 years of absence (played 4e). Unfortunately, 20 year old me never saw this coming, and I threw out probably 500 dollars worth of necrons and tau.

I got the new rule book and codex for tau, and I'm looking to get a 1k starter army for them. I'm not trying to min/max, but I do want to take advantage of some of the cool new rules.

Hunter Contingent/cadre/whatever
998 points

1x Commander: iridium suit, plasma, missilepod, stim injectors, neuroweb jammers, target lock, 2x shield drones

1x cadre fire blade

2x crisis suits: TL plasma, stim injectors

12x fire warriors with SMS turret
8x FW: shasui, bonding knife
1x devil fish: disruptors, sensor spines
5x FW: shasui, SMS turret

6x pathfinders: shasui, bonding knife

2x broadsides: shasvre, rail rifles and TL SMS, stim injectors, bonding knife

The thought is to have the commander attached to the crisis team jumping around taking out high value targets or grabbing objectives. Should I try to deep strike them?

The fire blade is gonna sit with the large FW squad, hopefully in cover somewhere, and blast out 26 pulse rifle shots at whatever they see. The 5 man squad will sit nearby. I picked SMS for their turret in order to annoy units outside of LOS or inside cover. The 8 man team in the devilfish is for cruising around capturing objectives. Ive watched a couple battle reports, and it looks like a jinking disruption devilfish is a tough nut to crack!

Pathfinders sit in cover somewhere and spit marker lights until they get dusted in turn 2.

The broadsides will sit in the back, hopefully turning markerlights into dead stuff. My priority goes:
1) Vehicles
2) HQ
3) high value models

SUITS: As you can see, I really like the idea of feel no pain for my suits. I know S8 weapons are going to ignore that, but I don't know how common those are in thousand point games. My other thought would be to replace the broadside squad with two single shasvres with a missile drone each to act as an extra wound. This would open up the support slot to something cheaper and/or a seeker missile. Thoughts? Also, I've seen some other tau lists around, and it seems like EVERYONE uses the missile pods instead of rail rifles. Since these dudes are going to be my primary anti-tank, I feel like the rail rifles are a good idea. Am I dumb

Fire Warriors: It seems like most of the lists I see minimize the fire warrior squads to save points for a riptide or another squad of crisis suits, but I really have no interest in that. I want to keep the full size squad with fireblade because the volume of S5 shots at 30" would be delicious. I could maybe drop a couple FW in the devilfish squad to open up a couple more points for something. I like the bonding knife on the devilfish squad and pathfinders because they're definitely gonna be dropped to <25% pretty quick, and if they can regroup and spit out a couple more markerlights, or force another round of shooting from my opponent, they'll definitely pay for themselves.

As I increase in points, I plan to add another crisis suit, a hammerhead, a marker drone squad, and a couple extra fire warriors.

I'm open to any comments or suggestions!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
gently caress those look cool. I might have to buy 2 LoCs.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just noticed, there's a new Blue Horror sculpt behind Changeling.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Does anyone want some Tyranids? I've got most of the Battle for Macragge 'nids still on sprue plus some extra Stealer bits:

By my count it's 5 Genestealers, 20 Gaunts, 4 spore mines, the spore mine terrain thingie, and a couple of the Genestealer infection piles. Looking for like $25 for everything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pretty sure that's Tilda Swinton

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Eldar on cats is neat, though they deserve dinos.

Emperor's Children on big fuckoff lions is great. I want to convert an Emp Children HQ model to be holding a big lion on a gold leash.

Space wolves have giant space wolves with their space wolf claws.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

Eldar on cats is neat, though they deserve dinos.
I'm hoping that character turns out to be an exodite riding a space raptor with a little cat buddy.

SRM posted:

hierarchy of hats.
New Empire and Chaos Dwarfs?

:smith:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Does anyone want some Tyranids? I've got most of the Battle for Macragge 'nids still on sprue plus some extra Stealer bits:

By my count it's 5 Genestealers, 20 Gaunts, 4 spore mines, the spore mine terrain thingie, and a couple of the Genestealer infection piles. Looking for like $25 for everything.

I'll take it!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Technowolf posted:

I think its really cool that this version of Celestine got wings because of literally all the conversions of the original using the Pegasus wings.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
My review of he fall of Cadia is this : Greyfax - cool, Creed - Meh, Celestine - Cool, Abbadon - dumb as hell, necron thief dude - cool, magos cawl - cool

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So instead of collecting Eldar once I finish my Death Guard...I'm thinking Dark Eldar.

Collecting basically opposite armies can't be a good idea. Especially since I know I'll repeatedly get tabled as DEldar.

But their models are so loving cool.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

:eyepop:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I'm into his weird skinnyfat body

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The eyes on the end of his tongues are pretty neat.

Though, I can't take LoCs entirely seriously anymore after seeing one waddle along at double speed in Total Warhams.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GcjWEO0O8I
Probably how GW feels right now.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Holy moly this is funny.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

It's not that the video is entirely wrong but can anyone seriously not understand why people are so tentative? Ask any Brettonian or Tomb King player...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The thing I most remember fondly about Age of Sigmar is that Business Guerrillas held a grudge against me for like a year across multiple subforums because I had the temerity to say that Fantasy was a dead game (commercially) when they killed it anyway.

Glad I sold my Vampire Counts when I did.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
To be fair, we're dealing with a different GW. They've been pretty open about this Gathering Storm thing, from the reveal stream onwards they've pretty much made it clear this isn't End Times and no one's getting squatted. Understandable that Tomb Kings/Bret players would be bitter, but it looks like they've learned from their mistakes.

Like metal models. gently caress metal models, I've spent all night trying to snip away this Inquisitor's head for a head-swap and I'm nowhere near making progress. Worst material to work with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SteelMentor posted:

To be fair, we're dealing with a different GW. They've been pretty open about this Gathering Storm thing, from the reveal stream onwards they've pretty much made it clear this isn't End Times and no one's getting squatted. Understandable that Tomb Kings/Bret players would be bitter, but it looks like they've learned from their mistakes.

Like metal models. gently caress metal models, I've spent all night trying to snip away this Inquisitor's head for a head-swap and I'm nowhere near making progress. Worst material to work with.

What tools are you using? Shouldn't be that hard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just some clippers and a scalpel/moldline remover atm. Files are stuck at work. Problem primarily is there's a massive chunk of metal between her head and her collar and it's hard to get to it without mangling the collar. Same for the last vestiges of her braids under the collar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's kind of a tough spot. I would certainly dremmel it. Good luck! Haven't had to mess with metal models for two years though.

Bonely
Jan 15, 2017

Beep. Boop. Cuckling.
:siren: Beep. Boop. :siren:

Greetings Warhammer 40k enthusiasts [financially responsible adults]. The 30k thread [rated 5 stars] has officially announced Skullapaloozaa 2017 [very clever name]- a skull themed miniature painting and conversion contest. The contest is open to anyone with an account and includes prizes [jokes] and a panel of celebrity judges [unfortunate volunteers]. We hope you will participate [allow your skull to be used] in our lighthearted community event. Skullapaloozaa will accept entries until 24:00 PST on January 20th when it will officially begin [issuing bans]:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805534

Thank you for your attention. Remember- obedience is blind [obey]

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

The Kairos heads make this kit look so much better than the dogshit standard LoC one. gently caress that Sigmarjizz splatter on the wings, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SteelMentor posted:

Just some clippers and a scalpel/moldline remover atm. Files are stuck at work. Problem primarily is there's a massive chunk of metal between her head and her collar and it's hard to get to it without mangling the collar. Same for the last vestiges of her braids under the collar.

Do you care about keeping the head intact? If not, a drill would seem the optimal solution.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Kairos isn't too bad I guess but I would have preferred it if they'd done something more interesting with the two-heads thing. The point of Kairos is he's blind to the present, one head sees the future and the other sees the past. Make something of that and make one head look freakily young and the other really old instead of just having two standard heads with a minor tongue-eye mutation.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Jeweler's saw with one of those ultra-thin blades should be able to do this, going straight down along the shoulder line forward-backward and then turning 90 degrees across the shoulders. I've found them super useful for miniatures and other craft projects, and the blades are super-cheap.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah if you want to do any serious cutting of metal minis that isn't just lopping off protrusions a jeweler's saw is basically mandatory.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So reading through Gathering Storm. Our new heroes I assume can only be taken as HQs in their respective armies unless you take a Castellans of the Imperium detachment correct? For example the only way Celestine can ally with my Ultras is via the Castellans detachment?

Also, the power level of Cawl and Celestine seems rather high for their price. I assume 5 wounds is going to be the new norm for headline HQs as future books come out. Cawl is highly durable and can regenerate wounds, averaging 2 a round, which makes IWND a joke by comparison. Celestine when you factor in her bodyguards and ability to come back to life has a staggering 14 wounds...if she had AP2 she would be easily the most viscous melee hero in the game.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A review of some proxy Sisters models.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Uroboros posted:

So reading through Gathering Storm. Our new heroes I assume can only be taken as HQs in their respective armies unless you take a Castellans of the Imperium detachment correct? For example the only way Celestine can ally with my Ultras is via the Castellans detachment?

Also, the power level of Cawl and Celestine seems rather high for their price. I assume 5 wounds is going to be the new norm for headline HQs as future books come out. Cawl is highly durable and can regenerate wounds, averaging 2 a round, which makes IWND a joke by comparison. Celestine when you factor in her bodyguards and ability to come back to life has a staggering 14 wounds...if she had AP2 she would be easily the most viscous melee hero in the game.

When gauging her melee power though you have to remember if she actually dies in a melee she's most likely not coming back, even if you pass the test. Your opponent can just sit on top of the marker and make placing her illegal. Where it does work though is in making shooting her the most unappealing thing ever in what's been dubbed Shooty Edition.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Didn't work in a reference to Stalin in the subtitles. 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Those are not bad at all. If GW does not drop some plastic sisters In the next 4 to 5 months, I will go all in on an army made of these. Sisters is my next target army after I get my Tau and BA where I want them.

• Locked thread