Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

lotus circle posted:

Image for simplicity's sake.

The red boots are definitely welcomed, since the blue boots were just silly.

That is pretty much perfect as far as making a no-trunks suit and fixes all my problems with the new52/Rebirth suits.

Having the full belt and red boots helps break up the Blue in the costume in the same way the trunks did, and I really like having some gold in the belt instead of a solid red band too. This is really one of the best modern Supes looks I've seen. The stupid armor lines won't be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I appreciate that it looks less like something Injustice Evil Superman would wear and the extra color of the symbol helps the belt break up the blue more.

(I still think the red trunks look better.)

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ImpAtom posted:

(I still think the red trunks look better.)

Especially when Gary Frank draws Supes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also no stupid collar so works for me.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The thing it gets right is that it's simplistic enough to work in different art styles. Some of the over-detailed stuff like the new 52 suits only worked with Jim Lee-esque DC house style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's pretty much the original design for Rebirth Supers that Pat Gleason turned in minus the cuffs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the solicits coming out, it looks like once-monthly comics are going back to $3.99.

Edit: On the bright side, Mike Allred is drawing an issue of Doom Patrol.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 14, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

From the solicits coming out, it looks like once-monthly comics are going back to $3.99.

Booooooooooooooo! gently caress you DC!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

And here I was looking forward to picking up some new titles as it would fit into my budget.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, I personally don't like the colored underwear look on superheroes, especially on Supes because of the primary colors -- but I couldn't get behind the new 52 Supes design or this new tweak.

I guess...his classic outfit is so iconic that changes stand out too much or something.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
It's gonna turn out to be Ozymandias, who actually replicated the Dr. Manhattan experiment successfully.
Dr. Oz is going to turn out to actually be a depowered Manhattan who is secretly building up a group to take down Ozymandias.

As for Superman's new costume... ehhhh. It could be better, but long story short they'd pretty much either have to go back to the classic with very mild tweaks or do something so drastic it'd almost not be recognizable as Superman, and I don't think either's gonna happen.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 15, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

It's gonna turn out to be Ozymandias, who actually replicated the Dr. Manhattan experiment successfully.

Dr. Oz is going to turn out to actually be a depowered Manhattan who is secretly building up a group to take down Ozymandias.

Oh god shut up they'll hear you.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

KaosMachina posted:

...oh my god, this actually seems plausible

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

As for Superman's new costume... ehhhh. It could be better, but long story short they'd pretty much either have to go back to the classic with very mild tweaks or do something so drastic it'd almost not be recognizable as Superman, and I don't think either's gonna happen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a weird static shock costume but, hell, I'll take it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm at work so my attention was divided.

Basically they're tweaking his belt and bringing back the red boots, but making them a bit more metallic. They said something about his cape too, but I was only half listening.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I'm mad at Web 3.0 insisting everything needs to be a video, even if the entire video is two static images and 10 sentences.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

And that's exactly WHY they're not going to do it again.

Also, unpopular opinions time: I actually really like the Electric Superman era from a conceptual standpoint, but think it was ultimately a great idea done poorly in the majority of its appearances. And the costume was honestly cool but didn't really 'fit' for a Superman costume. I did like it much better on Livewire.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KaosMachina posted:

Okay, unpopular opinions time: I actually really like the Electric Superman era from a conceptual standpoint, but think it was ultimately a great idea done poorly in the majority of its appearances. And the costume was honestly cool but didn't really 'fit' for a Superman costume. I did like it much better on Livewire.

One idea I like from Electric Superman is that for the first time, Superman had to turn his powers on and off when he wanted to use them, so when he was Clark Kent, he didn't have the benefit of Superman's super senses or his invulnerability or anything like that. It could have been interesting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If DC is going back to $3.99 for monthly books, then I'm probably going to stop buying Batgirl and Titans.

And maybe Blue Beetle.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh lordt, someone's still reading Blue Beetle?

How's it been? Any improvements from the first two issues?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's still just ok.

It's the kind of comic I struggle to think of any really major negatives or positives, and I mostly only haven't dropped it from my pull list since it's only 2.99 a month. But if it goes up to 3.99, then I might as well drop it in favor of stuff like Nick Fury.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Beetle is one of those 'One unit of Comic Book' sort of comics. It's... there. It's at least better than the New 52 Blue Beetle series, I guess?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KaosMachina posted:

Blue Beetle is one of those 'One unit of Comic Book' sort of comics. It's... there. It's at least better than the New 52 Blue Beetle series, I guess?

They should just reprint the '06 series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That was like 17 years ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aren't some twice monthly books supposed to be going monthly eventually? Does that mean they'll go to $3.99 as well? And if so will they be longer? I think one of the concessions they made for the twice monthly books is that they're cheaper and a few pages shorter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd rather the twice monthly books be 3.99 a month if they're a few extra pages. It's just those three books in particular I don't care to pay an extra dollar for because I'm massive tight rear end about my money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Aren't some twice monthly books supposed to be going monthly eventually? Does that mean they'll go to $3.99 as well? And if so will they be longer? I think one of the concessions they made for the twice monthly books is that they're cheaper and a few pages shorter.

It was only rumored, they were supposed to drop to monthly after #12 and it didn't happen. We'll see what Rebirth wave 2 brings in a few months.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Who could trust those wieners? They wear their underpants outside of their pants and none of their arms are torn off.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished Omega Men, that was a really good comic

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I really like that Wonder Woman costume, but don't remember actually seeing it used in... anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Roth posted:

It's still just ok.

It's the kind of comic I struggle to think of any really major negatives or positives, and I mostly only haven't dropped it from my pull list since it's only 2.99 a month. But if it goes up to 3.99, then I might as well drop it in favor of stuff like Nick Fury.
I just couldn't handle the smarmy-rear end characterization and dialogue for every single character in there.

Here, below, is my rough approximation of every line of dialogue in every page of the book.

:smuggo: "So I've been thinking-"
:smug: "Oh, that's a first."
:smuggo: "Hey don't you start."
:smug: "Start what? Respecting you?"
:smuggo: "Jeez, don't strain yourself. So I've been thinking-"
:smug: "Wow, twice in a day now!"

Copy, paste, send me my $2.99, DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it was the inspirational slogan t-shirts they were giving Ted that pushed me off.
Shame cause that was the issue they brought Sugar and Spike in.

KaosMachina posted:

I really like that Wonder Woman costume, but don't remember actually seeing it used in... anything.

It was from JMS's run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah outside of WW she showed up like once in that suit. The nerds cried about not seeing half her rear end so DC changed it back.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

I just couldn't handle the smarmy-rear end characterization and dialogue for every single character in there.

Here, below, is my rough approximation of every line of dialogue in every page of the book.

:smuggo: "So I've been thinking-"
:smug: "Oh, that's a first."
:smuggo: "Hey don't you start."
:smug: "Start what? Respecting you?"
:smuggo: "Jeez, don't strain yourself. So I've been thinking-"
:smug: "Wow, twice in a day now!"

Copy, paste, send me my $2.99, DC.

Someone has been learning at the Bendis School of Dialog.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between Marvel not including same-issue download codes for print issues and DC bumping prices back up to $4 apiece (just a matter of time for the twice-monthlies), looks like I'm going to save all kinds of dough just not buying single issues from either of them.

In the meantime, Green Lantern Corps was great and I can't wait for the Blue Lanterns to come back. Saint Walker got punked hard in Sinestro's series, he needs his dignity back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah outside of WW she showed up like once in that suit. The nerds cried about not seeing half her rear end so DC changed it back.

All the promo images bar that one also had her in the bolero jacket she wore over it for part of the run. The lacing on the arms looked really good, and I'm not sure why they had that AND the jacket considering you'd never see both.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That costume was loving terrible and yet still not the worst thing about the JMS run on Wonder Woman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ok, I'm officially hype for Superman 15. Spoilers below

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I never understand the hubbub about 2.99 vs 3.99. Like, do people have likes and dislikes down so granular that they can say a given book is definitely worth 2.99 and not worth one more dollar?

I get that it adds up when you pull a lot of books, it just seems like a weird arbitrary place to draw a line. If there's a book bad enough that I consider it not worth my four dollars, it's probably not worth my three dollars either.