Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lube banjo posted:

so should i trade in my 3ds for this thing or what?

the 3ds has 2 amazing libraries and you should probably keep it forever hth

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

the 3ds has 2 amazing libraries and you should probably keep it forever hth

Truth. I have a New 3ds, a 2ds, and honestly I'm likely to pick up a new 3ds XL (Galaxy addition) because there are still
So many games for it I need to play. I have I think 10 games for it in just my back log.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I would. People can't see it but a tidal wave of games is coming. Nintendo + Indies + Vita devs + Retro Studios + Monster Games + Good Feel Games + Intelligent Systems + Level 5 + the good section of Square Enix that cares about Portables + SNK and probably Capcom.

Then there's others like Suda51, Grasshopper, Wayforward, and probably others I can't remember.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It will take 5 years for the Switch to have close to the number of total games that the 3ds has great games so uhhhh

plus the switch doesn't fit easily in your pocket and the battery life is questionable at best

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Missed out on preordering. Should have known signing up to be e-mailed was a waste of time. THANKS AMAZON.

I didn't buy a Wii U when it first came out. Is Nintendo a good company that will actually be prepared to make enough product to meet release day demand so there will be more chances to get a preorder, or do they operate like annoying GPU manufacturers and will I be waiting for weeks/months after release day?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i can't believe the pro controller isn't available for preorder anywhere or even listed yet.
watch it miss launch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boosted_C5 posted:

Is Nintendo a good company that will actually be prepared to make enough product to meet release day demand so there will be more chances to get a preorder,

:lol: man

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You're carrying the switch in a murse so you might as well chuck in there a power bank and that way you can charge the thing several times over easily

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mourning Due posted:

The online. Why couldn't it have been Netflix for games as predicted?  £10 a month, access to all of them, done.

Why in the world would you have possibly expected this after seeing "Pay a small fee to upgrade to wii u eshop from wii!"?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Places the Switch will be useful without a TV:

- Car rides
- The bathroom??

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I'm going to carry my Switch in the bag that comes in the Persona 5 "Take Your Heart" Premium Edition and no one will stop me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

i can't believe the pro controller isn't available for preorder anywhere or even listed yet.
watch it miss launch.

It's not coming out at launch

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Missed out on preordering. Should have known signing up to be e-mailed was a waste of time. THANKS AMAZON.

I didn't buy a Wii U when it first came out. Is Nintendo a good company that will actually be prepared to make enough product to meet release day demand so there will be more chances to get a preorder, or do they operate like annoying GPU manufacturers and will I be waiting for weeks/months after release day?

Have you heard about the NES Classic?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anidav posted:

I would. People can't see it but a tidal wave of games is coming. Nintendo + Indies + Vita devs + Retro Studios + Monster Games + Good Feel Games + Intelligent Systems + Level 5 + the good section of Square Enix that cares about Portables + SNK and probably Capcom.

Then there's others like Suda51, Grasshopper, Wayforward, and probably others I can't remember.

Totally!

In 2018, when I can buy a refurb from Nintendo for $200.

I'm not saying the Switch will be a bad system. gently caress, a system that combines the 3DS and Wii/U software lineups? Beautiful, I can't wait to play a classic Fire Emblem on the big screen. The idea of a console I can take off the stand into the bedroom with me is great. The idea of a console I can share with my SO is great.

It's just being launched too early to make up for the poor WiiU sales, and I have no incentive to preorder or buy one now. Zelda is the only real title it's going to have until Summer when Splatoon 2 comes out. And I can't justify jumping in for Splatoon 2 because it'll be forced to contend with paid online, so it may not have the population/feel of the first game ( especially with also no Miiverse ). Then I'll have to wait until Holiday/December until Mario shows up. By that point I might as well have just waited for the inevitable Black Friday sales to grab one for cheaper.

Both Xenoblade and Fire Emblem Heroes are going to be late 2017/2018, otherwise they'd have shown more then a reveal trailer. No More Heroes 3 will probably be 2018. We've seen a good amount of the indie support Nintendo is pushing, and it's not really all that large for 2017. This'll probably expand as we get into 2018, but for now?

If we get a classic Fire Emblem, a Metroid, MonHun, Luigi's Mansion, etc reveal, it'll be at E3, and they'll be launching in 2018.

Especially with how good Zelda looks on the WiiU ( let's not even get into how CEMU will probably be the superior way of playing Zelda since it'll look even better then the Switch version. ), mixed with people talking about how the Switch version also suffers from framerate drops? How can I justify buying a $300 device for a single game I can also play on a console I own?

If I buy this console in November on sale, I'll get the exact same experience/game experiences as someone who is preordering it now will get, because we'll both get Zelda/Mario at the same time. And that's a really shaky proposition.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mourning Due posted:

Oh, man.

Mario… The fantasy levels look great, they really do, but what on earth is this city aesthetic?  It just looks like garbage.  Change is absolutely fine, but it should at least work in the confines of the series reality.  Like, when Mario galaxy was announced, I wasn’t like “how does Mario breathe in space, what a joke, he should be in the mushroom kingdom!” Change is great, when it's good.  The city had rotten graphics, weird clone people, and took away from the visual appeal of the game.  It would be like if the guns in grand theft auto all had little “POW!” speech balloons in the next game, it just wouldn't fit.

Whenever Mario goes to space there is enough oxygen in the area that it's snot a problem.

That's like asking how we have such detailed and contextual Mario Kart levels but they still take place in the clouds or areas with no roads/possible ways for the characters to get to or from the track even though you already know the answer to how they get there.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Rookersh posted:

It's just being launched too early to make up for the poor WiiU sales, and I have no incentive to preorder or buy one now. Zelda is the only real title it's going to have until Summer when Splatoon 2 comes out. And I can't justify jumping in for Splatoon 2 because it'll be forced to contend with paid online, so it may not have the population/feel of the first game ( especially with also no Miiverse ).

Online will still be free when Splatoon 2 comes out, so that's a reason to not wait.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No More Heroes 3(?) is definitely not coming out in 2017.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Have you heard about the NES Classic?

To be fair, the Switch is using an Nvidia chip that has been available for a few years now, it's mass produced and readily available. There should be very little issue with getting this system.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

orphean posted:

The silver lining here is that since it just charges over USB-C without any special proprietary connector any UCB-C battery pack can be used to charge the thing up on the go.

I still think its way too awkwardly big to be a 'portable' in the sense of a 3DS/Vita/Tapwave Zodiac

Japanese people are short and thus have small hands

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Why even bother to have it at the announcement over like Mario Kart. It doesn't even make sense, unless they didn't have any commitments from third parties that wanted to go and needed to fill that segment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, the Switch is using an Nvidia chip that has been available for a few years now, it's mass produced and readily available. There should be very little issue with getting this system.

Plus they're shipping two million of these in MARCH. Super off season, it will probably be gettable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why even bother to have it at the announcement over like Mario Kart. It doesn't even make sense, unless they didn't have any commitments from third parties that wanted to go and needed to fill that segment.

At least it was better than having Sega send out Toshihiro Nagoshi (the Yakuza man) to essentially say "Sega is aware the Nintendo Switch exists."

Yeah, you were aware the Wii U existed too and your response was to make a port of a PS3 HD Remaster of a pair of PS2 games!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

by jove

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lube banjo posted:

loving no

e: I have two and am thinking of buying a third because it will be a good console until I'm dead or the world's a wasteland with no way to charge it

Kashuno posted:

It's not coming out at launch

What?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 15, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why do you even want the pro controller, you can't milk a cow with it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's kind of gimmicky but that's okay. Disposable video games that give you short little fun experiences are valid things to make. Stuff like the Jackbox games are proof enough of that, they're just fun weird little things that are more about hanging out with people than playing something for 300 hours and that's an underserved market when it comes to actual good, quality video games of that type. There's plenty of bad ones. We need more good ones.

There's no way 1 2 Switch rivals Jackbox, that's a great collection of games. I'm saying it sucks at being part of that family of games. As a later poster said, it can fall into a category of drinking games, but there's alternatives in the wild

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey that's a good point where the gently caress is Jackbox on Switch. If the online thing is already gonna presume we're using smartphones just put Jackbox on so I can play Quiplash with friends ON THE GO

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sony and Microsoft try to sell us on games 2 to 3 years from now all the time.

It's been over half their conferences for at least two E3's.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lube banjo posted:

Massive negative, Switch is not backwards compatible.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

There's an interview out there from Reggie promising that this wont be a problem but...

yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are just using the processor from the Nvidia Shield, no one bought those so this really shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Policenaut posted:

At least it was better than having Sega send out Toshihiro Nagoshi (the Yakuza man) to essentially say "Sega is aware the Nintendo Switch exists."

Yeah, you were aware the Wii U existed too and your response was to make a port of a PS3 HD Remaster of a pair of PS2 games!

and also, I mean, the same show confirmed (well reconfirmed) two actual Sega games anyway

Multiplat ones but I digress

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah but Sony and Microsoft don't spend time having some nobody from SEGA say "this console exists" if they can instead show a trailer for exciting new content coming to one of their most poplar games.

They should have showed the Mario Kart trailer, is what we're saying.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

RIP Scalebound. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah but Sony and Microsoft don't spend time having some nobody from SEGA say "this console exists" if they can instead show a trailer for exciting new content coming to one of their most poplar games.

Like I just said, we know exactly what Sega is putting out for the Switch in its first year

They certainly gave Mario Kart plenty of attention on Friday, also

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sega, now is your chance to bring Phantasy Star Online 2 to the U.S., make it a Switch exclusive.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bass Bottles posted:

Didn't they do that for Shenmue 3? When the hell is that supposed to come out? I honestly want to know since I haven't heard poo poo about it since that announcement.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I better start playing Splatoon again since everyone will be abandoning it for Splatoon 2 soon. I'll get a Switch when the price drops, as I did for the Wii U and Wii, when they had respectable enough libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like I just said, we know exactly what Sega is putting out for the Switch in its first year

They certainly gave Mario Kart plenty of attention on Friday, also

Then why didn't they have Sega talk about those games instead of going up to make white noise?

• Locked thread