Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kawasaki Nun posted:

He use a butter baste too? Looks different than my pan seared steaks

I think so, and marinates in Dale's.

I don't know how exactly he does it, I just know they amazing. All I have to do is pick up the meat (heh) and he does the rest.

I personally can't really cook worth a drat :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Husbear knows what's up

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
After a little over four hours, here's what I got.

A little spicier and chunkier than I'd like and but not too bad.

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can never get my cast iron steaks to come out right

Maybe I just need to do it more

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah we really enjoy it.

Also ribeye turned out amazing.

I like the look of your meat.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hello dad chat, long time listener, first time caller (I do have a Weber tho):

I am entering first house considerations/discussions. I've been living in apartments for 15 years, because I am a lovely transient person. Please educate me on VA Certificate of Eligibility obtaining and utilization and ways to make my life less lovely other than what I have read so far on the internet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hello dad chat, long time listener, first time caller (I do have a Weber tho):

I am entering first house considerations/discussions. I've been living in apartments for 15 years, because I am a lovely transient person. Please educate me on VA Certificate of Eligibility obtaining and utilization and ways to make my life less lovely other than what I have read so far on the internet.

Just went under contract on a house with the VA loan -

Getting the certificate of eligibility is not a problem. I'm still active so I had to get a letter signed by my commander (delegated to his staff), but all former members need to give the lender is a copy of their DD Form 215. Once you find a house and put an offer in your lender will handle the rest.

Be prepared for a bunch of out-of-pocket expenses. Although they won't require a down payment, you'll still have to cover expenses and fees that can run over $5k. You'll also want a lender that's used to working VA loans so they don't screw you by forgetting to schedule the appraisal visit or something

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So after hearing a lot of bad press about Batman versus Superman I finally gave it a watch.

It's actually pretty decent, I'd watch a sequel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I assume that's the extended cut or whatever? I've been meaning to watch that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

not caring here posted:

So after hearing a lot of bad press about Batman versus Superman I finally gave it a watch.

It's actually pretty decent, I'd watch a sequel.

i didn't find it offensively bad so much as utterly forgettable

i remember the most unbelievably telegraphed prison shanking in movie history and bats using his toys on supes and that's really about it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only reason it's not my worst movie of 2016 is that Sausage Party exists.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Not sure. It was a bit jarring to see Batman get his torture and karate murder on, but I can get behind it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ben Affleck is a really good Batman and I can't wait for his Batman movie

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

holocaust bloopers posted:

After a little over four hours, here's what I got.

A little spicier and chunkier than I'd like and but not too bad.

Go at it with a potato masher if you want it just a little smoother, use a stick blender if you want a more pizza sauce like consistency.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kuroyama posted:

Go at it with a potato masher if you want it just a little smoother, use a stick blender if you want a more pizza sauce like consistency.

Yea I'm looking at a food processor. That seems like it'll be useful in a lot more applications. Both items are pretty inexpensive though, which is cool.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

An immersion blender is also a good investment.

Never used it for sauce but have for soups.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

An immersion blender is also a good investment.

Never used it for sauce but have for soups.

I've got one of these, and it's pretty useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MMNBBQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Look, I know ragging on superhero movies is kind of my schtick, but holy hell was BvS bad. Not just samey cartoon schlock designed to put the largest possible cross-section of nerds and Chinamen in seats like Civil War but how-did-this-get-greenlit awful. e: The only good bit I saw was in one of the first trailers anyway: Batman going ape on a bunch of mooks in a warehouse. I turned it off shortly afterward.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 15, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

at the date posted:

Look, I know ragging on superhero movies is kind of my schtick, but holy hell was BvS bad. The only good bit I saw was in one of the first trailers anyway: Batman going ape on a bunch of mooks in a warehouse. I turned it off shortly afterward.

You watched until there was fifteen minutes left and then turned it off?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pesticide20 posted:

You watched until there was fifteen minutes left and then turned it off?

Now that I think about it, maybe I'm transposing the trailer into some other fight scene. IIRC he's going after some kryptonite or smth. I didn't get to the title fight.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Had an extremely dad day newly alone in my apartment. Frozen pizza for lunch, botched a steak for dinner, walked a mile down the road to pick up some cannoli and sat on the train tracks (disused) with a dog that sometimes gets out of his yard and hangs around my door feeding him bits of cannoli and drinking bad beer and feeling vaguely sorry for myself. Didn't realize my phone's battery had run out until just now when I tried to set an alarm.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
maybe that's less of a Dad day and more of a Get Help day

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You got to pet a dogge though

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TBeats posted:

You got to pet a dogge though

I haven't petted dogges in two weeks

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
One thing I have going for me is that I have a dogge.

Sorta.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

One thing I have going for me is that I have a dogge.

Sorta.

Ok that's an interesting picture of a mop, where's the dog?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

:catstare: I want to smoke from that bong

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Anyone ever use an inversion table? I don't have back pain (at least as far as where this issue is concerned), but my back pops every time I bend down unless I use a foam roller, which gives me relief for several hours. But I'm looking for something that is more effective at popping and stretching my back.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've used one, and holy poo poo it's a good stretch for your back. I looked at getting one. The short term benefits are documented, but apparently long term it does nothing. That being said people use their inversion table every day to make short term benefits last forever, so you can have a think about that if you like.

Unfortunately being upside down is prone to giving me life altering migraines so that was a no go for me.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne sleeps upside down and so should you imho

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Inversion tables still feel better than being put under traction. It's essentially the same thing, but something about a table designed to pull to apart is far less appealing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Anyone drive a Ford Focus? I found a 2009 SES with 100k miles on it that's in great condition that I might jump on.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
N4I has one I think.

I have a '13 hatch

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Buca di Bepis posted:

I can never get my cast iron steaks to come out right

Maybe I just need to do it more

https://youtu.be/7QmCVjSoY_w

I season the hell out of it, sear it, then the key is getting the oven timing right to pull the steak out at 140-145. It seems that a strip steak takes longer to cook than a ribeye, so the video's 4 minutes in the oven is likely right for a ribeye, but more needed for a typical strip steak. I personally use Lodge's ridged pan for steaks.

Using my BBQ grill is obviously preferable though, but gently caress, the timing really does depend on the steak thickness.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

Anyone drive a Ford Focus? I found a 2009 SES with 100k miles on it that's in great condition that I might jump on.

We went over n4i's last week. They eat their own auto trannies. So either hope it has a new trans, or a stick with a decent clutch.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What about a Ford Focus RS hmm

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I have a '12 hatch that despite the transmission problem (fixed zero out of picket) I'd still recommended it. Had an '04 hatch before that which was a solid car.

'09 is that awkward middle generation where they weren't offering hatches. Don't know about that one.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Woof Blitzer posted:

What about a Ford Focus RS hmm

Drift mooooooode

Also suspension as hard as rocks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TBeats posted:

Anyone ever use an inversion table? I don't have back pain (at least as far as where this issue is concerned), but my back pops every time I bend down unless I use a foam roller, which gives me relief for several hours. But I'm looking for something that is more effective at popping and stretching my back.
My brother bought one. I tried it out a few times, don't think it really did anything for me. It's a bit of a sore spot because it doesn't get used much and just takes up space at my mom's house. Specifically it sits in the spot where I had a computer desk when I lived there, and that was apparently an eyesore, but the stupid loving Teeter Hangups is ok I guess?! [/mad]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just when Oregon's massive onslaught of winter weather had me to the point of hating this loving state, she pulls this on me.

• Locked thread