Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm taking melatonin these days, and it's been pretty helpful. Stupidly expensive to get in nz, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I tried over-the-counter sleeping pills once, but they did jack poo poo. I'm pretty big, though, so that might have something to do with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Let me know if you wanna a gym it buddy.

I loved melatonin when I was dating an american because she'd get it shipped over from her family for basically nothing. That and just having a snooze in the heat of the sun. Being back at work sucks because my 'natural' sleep schedule would be about 3am to 11am.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Reasonable apparently. I don't drink coffee or smoke, usually I have this problem during the holidays on days where I stay home and don't do very much. I think the heat has a lot to do with it as well.

What about screen time? f.lux will only take you so far in terms of minimising that blue light. I'd say the not doing much in the day has something to do with it too.

Go to a GP and get a referral to a sleep clinic if it's really bothering you, but based on what you've said I'm almost certain my coworkers' recommendation would be "well don't nap in the day then", which is also part of your basic sleep hygiene and can definitely be a causative factor for poor sleep at night

(not a scientist)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Let me know if you wanna a gym it buddy.

Big as in tall and shouldered, not fat.

Although there's always that little bit around the abdomen - I really should see if I can get a company discount.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I guess I can do some things to improve my sleep patterns. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have something to take when I do gently caress up so that I could not be a total wreck the next day.

Haha, I found the ingredients list for the product I was talking about. Hope they have good QA on the Jamaican Dogwood!:

quote:

Glycerine, Ethanol, Purified water, Corydalis ambigua (Corydalis), Eschscholzia californica (Californian poppy), Humulus lupus (Hops), Lavandula officinalis (Lavender), Matricaria recutita (Chamomile), Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm), Passiflora incarnate (Passionflower), Piper methysticum (Kava), Piscidia piscipula (Jamaican Dogwood), Scutellaria lateriflora (Skullcap), Silybum marianum (Milk Thistle), Tilia sp. (Lime flower), Zizyphus jujuba (Zizyphus) with Homeopathic Chamomilla, Coffea cruda, Gentian lutea, Hypericum, Kali phos, Mag phos, Melatonin, Nux vomica, Passiflora, Pulsatilla, Vitamin C and combined with flower essences.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Homeopathic Chamomilla?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NZpol: The Crackhead Clubhouse of the South Seas

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

:q:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

We're a looong way from the top there. Cite

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Does anyone actually care about the Mccaw wedding thing or is it just the media wanting everyone to care? I don't know anyone who cares in the slightest but I mostly work with teenagers and my friends don't care for rugby so I think my sample pool is biased. Just wondering how much of it is media driven rather than a demand being met.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Anyone know if those sleepdrops things that I've heard advertised are any good? Have the occasional day where I fall asleep for a half hour nana nap and then end up awake and alert until 4.30am which is real frustrating

I believe they're homeopathic - so, you know, as good as a small amount of water.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Midget Fist posted:

Does anyone actually care about the Mccaw wedding thing or is it just the media wanting everyone to care? I don't know anyone who cares in the slightest but I mostly work with teenagers and my friends don't care for rugby so I think my sample pool is biased. Just wondering how much of it is media driven rather than a demand being met.

At the in-law's and watched One News this evening. The first ten minutes were all about the drat wedding and even people interviewed in Wanaka were making the obvious hint that the media should gently caress off by saying things like "We should just leave them alone".

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I don't think anyone really cares about it. But they are the closest thing NZ has to a celebrity couple. So the media is falling over themselves to talk it up and they can pretend they are some Hollywood gossip reporter like they read on the internet everyday.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It just seems like so much self serving wankery that I feel a bit sorry for them. Not the news people, they're mostly scum, but the couple.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

McCaw is a rugby dude right? I've heard nothing at all about it, so clearly my information filtering is working nicely :)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Shithouse Dave posted:

McCaw is a rugby dude right? I've heard nothing at all about it, so clearly my information filtering is working nicely :)
I don't interact with other real-life people either :(:hf::(

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

You ain't missing much. From all I know is that he kicks balls well and looks good on jockey advertisements. That's it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was also in that Apple Beats commercial that showed in the cinemas. It was so pretentious in combination with McCaw I shouted "Get hosed" at the end of it.

He is probably not a bad guy, but gently caress off I don't want to hear about you. The media had nothing to do since they spent so much time covering it. Lets not talk about the world's largest democracy starting to unravel because of an orange Russian puppet. Nah, lets go spy on a private wedding.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

To be fair, I can maybe name two people I know in the flesh who are taking the fact that Trump = Severe chaos in the future - and one of them is me. The average kiwi doesn't give a poo poo about geopolitics and would just swap channels/newspapers the moment it made them feel uncomfortable. We can hardly blame the media for the poo poo tastes of the great unwashed.

Enabling those poo poo tastes, on the other hand...

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

To be fair, I can maybe name two people I know in the flesh who are taking the fact that Trump = Severe chaos in the future - and one of them is me. The average kiwi doesn't give a poo poo about geopolitics and would just swap channels/newspapers the moment it made them feel uncomfortable. We can hardly blame the media for the poo poo tastes of the great unwashed.

Enabling those poo poo tastes, on the other hand...

Lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Lets not talk about the world's largest democracy starting to unravel because of an orange Russian puppet. Nah, lets go spy on a private wedding.

Who did India elect???

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lots of smug elitism rn itt

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Not giving a gently caress about some rugby guy and hockey girl getting married despite the media trying their best to make me is hardly elitism. Maybe you're the real elitist for assuming that only average joes and poor people care about so called celebrities.

Whoa.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm not saying you have to give a poo poo about them or their wedding - I certainly don't and I actually watch the All Blacks fairly often. But that doesn't make people who are interested in it plebs or objects of scorn. What I'm saying is don't hate the players

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We aren't hating the players. Just the fans.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NZpol: Don't hate the player, hate the fans.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

bike tory posted:

But that doesn't make people who are interested in it plebs or objects of scorn.

Well, no. It's that and their head-in-the-sand approach and their inane obsessions over celebrity and their knee-jerk reaction to anything that inconveniences them and their complete inability to sit still and think for a minute and

You get the drift. I'm not hating the symptoms, I'm hating the pandemic.

Winston Smith had the correct opinion on the proles, is all I'm saying.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I wasn't even against the people who are interested in it, more the way it seemed to be an entirely artificial supply of gossipy stories to fill what seemed like a non-existent demand for it. I don't really know how to explain what I mean though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I knew what you meant.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Look someone paid a lot of money for the exclusive. In order to get the best return they need to manufacture as much interest in the story as they can.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, no. It's that and their head-in-the-sand approach and their inane obsessions over celebrity and their knee-jerk reaction to anything that inconveniences them and their complete inability to sit still and think for a minute and

You get the drift. I'm not hating the symptoms, I'm hating the pandemic.

Winston Smith had the correct opinion on the proles, is all I'm saying.

Nope no smug elitism itt you're all right

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm not sure you're meant to take the protagonists of Orwell's works views on the plebs at entirely face value.

How's that for smug elitism?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What's worse, people interested in celebrity goings on or people who fall all over themselves to let everyone know how not interested and above it they are. The stuff comments section is a sad, sad place indeed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't even own a television!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Owning a tv for broadcast television is like having a home phone.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Broadcast TV is actually worse than digital equivalents though, but home phone lines are significantly higher quality than cellphones; if you've got a call to a loved one or an important call, landlines are still distinctly superior.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
TV sucks the giant rear end now, I spent a day watching it (as opposed to streaming shows or dvds) and I could not believe the loving ads.. Jesus wept, ads followed by 5/7 minutes of TV then back to ads.

I found it unwatchable, how is it still a thing? It feels like 50/50 commercials.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

504 posted:

TV sucks the giant rear end now, I spent a day watching it (as opposed to streaming shows or dvds) and I could not believe the loving ads.. Jesus wept, ads followed by 5/7 minutes of TV then back to ads.

I found it unwatchable, how is it still a thing? It feels like 50/50 commercials.

It's actually 9/10ths commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Anyone going to any of the Women's march on Washington thingies on Saturday?

• Locked thread