Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Advice posted:

This is the part where I would usually say I never felt invested in this Pudding stuff and Sanji has felt extremely out of character for basically this entire arc and try and justify questioning Oda but I did that poo poo during Usopp vs Sugar and it came back to bite me in the rear end when it paid off and I felt extremely satisfied with the conclusion so I'll be in the corner.

I dunno, Sanji's always been way the gently caress smarter than the other two members of the monster trio, it doesn't feel that crazy that he would up and give in to Big Mom given all the terrible things she could do. I mean, Robin and Nami did the same thing, and poo poo, Luffy would give his life for any of his friends if it came down to it, let alone his crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Advice posted:

This is the part where I would usually say I never felt invested in this Pudding stuff and Sanji has felt extremely out of character for basically this entire arc and try and justify questioning Oda but I did that poo poo during Usopp vs Sugar and it came back to bite me in the rear end when it paid off and I felt extremely satisfied with the conclusion so I'll be in the corner.

Not really. If it was the crew in danger, he would have absolutely no issue taking on Big Mom with the crew.

It was the additional threat of taking out Zeff and Sanji being unable to prevent it happening that caused Sanji to make the decisions he made. It's not a Robin type situation where she had to be convinced that faith in Luffy was the best course of action, Sanji has complete faith in him. He just knows that Luffy can no more stop them attacking Zeff than he can.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I still want little more than to see a cover page in the next arc of Zeff and friends standing around griping about cleaning up after Sanji again while surrounded by the stacked bodies of Big Mom mooks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like Reiju will get the hit on Zeff called off, since her family will be too busy to notice. Sanji confronts Judge but gets his rear end kicked because he knows he can't fight back, Judge makes a call to kill Zeff to teach Sanji not to gently caress with him, only to hear "what? You called it off, we're miles away now".

Then Sanji absolutely destroys him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
at this point i want to see the strawhats actually take down a yonko. it seems like they're destined to fight. maybe it'll get interrupted i guess at a stalemate or something. whatever.

luffy needs to kick big mom's big butt!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
luffy beats big mam and kaidou and blackbeard beats shanks and then they fight imo

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Just finished Amazon Lily again; Hancock's snake is great. Such a great idea for a portable throne, and the design is super cool. Need to jazz up your pet? Skull and scarf, bam. I also forgot that was where we first heard about Fisher Tiger; Luffy has a lot to live up to to climb a mountain and attack Marijoa.

Anyway, Impel Down next!

Luffy climbed his way to Doctor Kureha's place, that's the logical progression there.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jose posted:

luffy beats big mam and kaidou and blackbeard beats shanks and then they fight imo

I think you're onto something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

blackbeard is almost certain to fight shanks, the order in which luffy beat up the yonko was kinda up in the air until recently imo. if shanks doesnt die, luffy will probably fight shanks as a final test since he said he wanted to beat all the yonko (though he said it holding up three fingers so maybe thats a hint that shanks will die at blackbeards hands)

luffy's probably going to beat big mom through some sort of really weird circumstance, i don't think he'll win in a classic arc setup. it has to be a 1 on 1 that's agreed to without any interruption. or all of the strawhats have to do something like nami controls the homies, brook does some soul magic, chopper/ceasar clown strengthen luffy with gigantism somehow. or he fights her and loses on remarkable terms, and then someone else swoops in and finishes her after the strawhats leave in an agreed situation.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Luffy climbed his way to Doctor Kureha's place, that's the logical progression there.

Counterpoint - that was before the timeskip, when he was still wet behind the ears and badly out of his depth. After Dressrossa, I'm prepared to believe he'll just bring the mountain down to him. :getin:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If Luffy does fight and beat Big Mom here I think it'll completely devalue the Yonkou as a threat.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

If Luffy does fight and beat Big Mom here I think it'll completely devalue the Yonkou as a threat.

its not going to be a fair situation, or she's actually much weaker as a fighter than we know and her political power is why she is a yonko similar to how buggy is a shichibukai.

there are two strawhats with powers that directly compete with big mom's strength. there's an actual chance that if all of them work together, luffy can win.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

On the other hand, they're set to take on the single strongest Emperor, Kaido, in the very next arc (so this would make a good warmup), and Luffy's got a team together who (a) are hard counters to Linlin and (b) are set for a chance to do some seriously cool, legendary poo poo because the other half of the crew got to do it last arc.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, they're set to take on the single strongest Emperor, Kaido, in the very next arc (so this would make a good warmup), and Luffy's got a team together who (a) are hard counters to Linlin and (b) are set for a chance to do some seriously cool, legendary poo poo because the other half of the crew got to do it last arc.

the most luffy thing that could happen is he goes on a stealth mission everyone thinks he shouldn't even bother with because its too dangerous and then comes back and casually mentions he defeated a yonko.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I kinda hope that Nami and Brooke hold their own against Big Mom because of the ability matchup, and Luffy is only needed for some brute force offense to finish the fight.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

anime was right posted:

the most luffy thing that could happen is he goes on a stealth mission everyone thinks he shouldn't even bother with because its too dangerous and then comes back and casually mentions he defeated a yonko.

In a flashback it's realized that he beat Shanks at an eating contest

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pureauthor posted:

mangas gotta end eventually and luffy's gotta be strongest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also Shanks and Luffy's fight has to be something simple like: Last one standing wearing the Hat.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
If Shanks dies I'll be so goddamn pissed.

I like the idea of OP ending with Luffy's and Shanks' crews and themselves lined up and just getting ready to punch eat other, but literally everybody has grins on their faces.

Kinda like this:

but with the entire crews in the shot... and less ominous.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why does Luffy have a giant feather in his hat?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im 50/50 on shanks dying to blackbeard but im 95% on them fighting

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

oddium posted:

mangas gotta end eventually and luffy's gotta be strongest

I feel like Luffys gonna cripple and piss off all the emperors crews and they're all gonna chase everyone toward raftel

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Pureauthor posted:

The very first major arc in the Grand Line was about Luffy taking down a Schichibukai. The Yonkou are the four strongest pirates in the world, that doesn't mean they're all equal in strength

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blackbeard is gonna beat shanks but luffy will meet up with him first imo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They're set to take on Kaidou with a much larger team, including Marco (!), Zoro, Law, Dogstorm, and Catviper. Plus there's a good chance they'll temporarily ally with Kidd, Hawkins, and Drake (assuming Drake is a mole for the Marines).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kid and Hawkins are gunning for Shanks though

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Strawhat taking out a Yonko who has political alliances across the globe would make the upcoming Reverie a total shitshow, so I hope that's what happens

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Plutonis posted:

Kid and Hawkins are being held captive and MIA, respectively

Their goals are their goals but they're likely being held in Kaido's empire somewhere which suggests we'll meet up with them soon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kid's a useless piece of poo poo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

The very first major arc in the Grand Line was about Luffy taking down a Schichibukai. The Yonkou are the four strongest pirates in the world, that doesn't mean they're all equal in strength

Yeah, but lets be honest, that was straight-up Oda planning to end the series sooner than he did, that's why we have the admirals and Elite Four Divine God Emperors now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

They're set to take on Kaidou with a much larger team, including Marco (!), Zoro, Law, Dogstorm, and Catviper. Plus there's a good chance they'll temporarily ally with Kidd, Hawkins, and Drake (assuming Drake is a mole for the Marines).

Right, but again, he's supposed to be the strongest Emperor, so that makes sense. Linlin's nasty, but I can see her being close enough to Dolflamingo's tier that a post-Dressrossa Luffy can do to her what he did to him. Her main things are phenomenal soft power, a Devil Fruit that Brook can probably counter, and a couple of superweapons that Nami can probably counter. Take all that away, and you've got someone who's big, strong, and almost certainly Haki-proficient, but that's nothing Luffy hasn't dealt with before.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main argument against Luffy beating Big Mom here and now is that it's too soon, but all things considered, what is actually preventing him from doing so?

I mean I've been totally wrong about everything up to this point, so they may still escape so that there can be a big multi-Emperor ruck later on, but it's equally plausible that Luffy is going to King Kong Gun her into the stratosphere. Both outcomes would be rad as poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

One Piece is literally twenty years old. There is nothing that could happen in this manga that would remotely be "too soon".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I will withdraw all criticism about a Big Mom defeat this arc if Nami and Brooke prove hard counters to her main powerset, and we get a Big Mom enelface out of the deal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy beating big mam with the help of Brooke and nami then beating kaidou alone works for me

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sure Chopper would get a big boost to his bounty for assisting in the takedown of an Emperor. Maybe as high as two hundred berry!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm sure Chopper would get a big boost to his bounty for assisting in the takedown of an Emperor. Maybe as high as two hundred berry!

Eagerly anticipating Team Bropper showing up at exactly the worst best time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Eagerly anticipating Team Bropper showing up at exactly the worst best time.

Bropper finally escapes a mirror, falls onto Charlotte's head and gives her a mild concussion

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The amount of poo poo it took to kill Whitebeard who was past him prime and dying still makes me weary about Big Mam taken out this arc. Like someone mentioned, this manga is 20 years old but it still feels like you could stretch it on easily for another 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

RealFoxy posted:

The amount of poo poo it took to kill Whitebeard who was past him prime and dying still makes me weary about Big Mam taken out this arc. Like someone mentioned, this manga is 20 years old but it still feels like you could stretch it on easily for another 10

I just read recently that Oda said the manga is currently 65% complete at this point, which is pretty crazy if accurate. I think this is the time for Luffy to beat Big Mom because she's seen as the weakest of the Four Emperors. She wouldn't be the biggest (in a physical sense) person Luffy has defeated, and, although she is strong and has a devil fruit, what seems to make her an Emperor is her massive family and political connections. The main reason I see Big Mom being defeated here is because the Strawhats would have no reason to return once Sanji is back and Brook has a rubbing of the road poneglyph. You'd also have to reckon that if Luffy beats Kaidou then Big Mom would almost feel like a formality in a fight.

So the way I see it is that Luffy beats Big Mom and gets the road poneglyph text (or even the entire thing). With having Sanji back they reunite with everyone in Wano and begin their operation to defeat Kaidou. After that they get their third road poneglyph from him and go searching for the final poneglyph. Shanks would presumably know where the fourth road poneglyph is (given that he traveled with Roger) so they'll run into him and find out. I figure they'll end up on Elbaf (maybe that's where the last poneglyph is?) amidst all this as well as running into Blackbeard for a skirmish.

I just don't see them going back for Big Mom at any point if they don't really have to. Luffy ought to be strong enough to beat her otherwise what was the point of the two year skip? Luffy hasn't really been pushed to his limit since the timeskip and this would be a great opportunity to show off what he can do. Luffy said he trained so that he wouldn't lose to anyone and to protect his friends so just running away now wouldn't be congruent with that goal. Beating Big Mom is a statement that says "if you mess with my crew then you're not getting away with it."