Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

The problem is not taking the courses. It's paying for them AND affording rent. 4 credits is $6,500.

If you are definitely planning on going to graduate school a strategic use of subsidized loans might not be a terrible thing. If you are only taking 1-2 courses you could probably pick up a temporary/part time job and just pay cash for the classes and save the benefits for the more expensive full-time graduate semesters. I was lucky enough to get a job with the university hospital that had a two class per semester tuition credit when I was in that situation but I gladly would have dropped the five grand to finish up my courses and saved my benefit months for my grad program, which is $70k/y but full unlimited yellow ribbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Deathy McDeath posted:

The problem is not taking the courses. It's paying for them AND affording rent. 4 credits is $6,500.

yeah but two 3 credit classes would put you at 6 total credits and then bennies would kick in? Each one individually wouldn't meet your requirement so you gotta have both? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This might be an easy question. I'm trying to apply for poor people utility benefits with the state of Colorado (really they offer a weatherization program and my house is old, so why not try to get some stuff for free). They want proof of all non-work income, which would include my post 9/11 GI bill. Is there an actual award letter that states this is how much we give this dude every month? I know where to find all the documentation that says I have x time left, but I can't find any dollar amounts other than my payment history.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

This might be an easy question. I'm trying to apply for poor people utility benefits with the state of Colorado (really they offer a weatherization program and my house is old, so why not try to get some stuff for free). They want proof of all non-work income, which would include my post 9/11 GI bill. Is there an actual award letter that states this is how much we give this dude every month? I know where to find all the documentation that says I have x time left, but I can't find any dollar amounts other than my payment history.

Use your payment history on ebenefits

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Double check that you have to report your GI Bill monies. It usually doesn't count.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Godholio posted:

Double check that you have to report your GI Bill monies. It usually doesn't count.
This. It's a benefit, not income.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On the ebenefits website there's a link where you can print all your VA entitlement letters for basically any purpose. However, it is not income so unless they specifically ask for non-taxable benefits I wouldn't include it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hey so, seeing that I got out and went to college in the same year, my tax returns are all gonna be in one area or am I gonna have to search around everywhere?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did the same and I just got my w2 off mypay* and used that and nothing else when filing the year I got out.

*that went well

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Hey so, seeing that I got out and went to college in the same year, my tax returns are all gonna be in one area or am I gonna have to search around everywhere?

:crossarms: Search for what now?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Hello, I am an undergrad currently "planning" my future and looking for options to pay for ivy league graduate school. If I understand correctly (and I feel like I'm misunderstanding this), a Yellow Ribbon scholarship will pretty much completely pay your tuition, assuming the school accepts the program and you are "100%". A couple of questions:

1. How many years of military service is required to retire honorably and be eligible for the ribbon?
2. Are there certain branches of the military, or types of jobs (intelligence, machinery, etc.) that would be more likely to receive this type of scholarship? (To my limited understanding you can apply for most military positions assuming you score well on the ASFAB.)

Thank you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Hello, I am an undergrad currently "planning" my future and looking for options to pay for ivy league graduate school. If I understand correctly (and I feel like I'm misunderstanding this), a Yellow Ribbon scholarship will pretty much completely pay your tuition, assuming the school accepts the program and you are "100%". A couple of questions:

1. How many years of military service is required to retire honorably and be eligible for the ribbon?
2. Are there certain branches of the military, or types of jobs (intelligence, machinery, etc.) that would be more likely to receive this type of scholarship? (To my limited understanding you can apply for most military positions assuming you score well on the ASFAB.)

Thank you.

You're misunderstanding. Yellow Ribbon is on top of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. If you qualify for that you can apply for YRP. Three years of active duty service gets you 100% GI Bill.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I recommend you talk to your school's ROTC admissions officer. You're getting a degree, you might as well commission as an officer and get paid vs enlisting and picking up cigarette butts from the smoke pit for 2 years until you prove you're less retarded than most of your peers.

VVV That's the interesting option.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 13, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I recommend you talk to your school's ROTC admissions officer.

Don't listen to this man. Go to your nearest recruiter and ask for whatever ships the quickest.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

You're misunderstanding. Yellow Ribbon is on top of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. If you qualify for that you can apply for YRP. Three years of active duty service gets you 100% GI Bill.

Okay, but that just makes it two hoops to jump through. It's still an unequaled amount of funding, as far as I can tell.

Godholio posted:

I recommend you talk to your school's ROTC admissions officer. You're getting a degree, you might as well commission as an officer and get paid vs enlisting and picking up cigarette butts from the smoke pit for 2 years until you prove you're less retarded than most of your peers.

VVV That's the interesting option.

I plan to go in as an officer, yeah. I want to spend a quick 1 or 2 years working in Japan as a teacher (I've been desperate to go overseas for some time now) after which I'd come back and apply for an officer's position.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A couple of things to think about :

Joining ROTC ensures that, if you're competitive and likely to actually complete the program and commission, you will get a scholarship for at least the last two years of school. As a general rule, the military does not offer loan repayment programs if you join via OTS/OCS later, although sometimes when they really need people they offer such a program. It's up to the individual service to decide whether to offer it or not. The AF hasn't offered loan repayment in well over a decade, the Navy is probably the same.

OTS/OCS have the lowest selection rate. These programs are used as the "valve" to control the number of new officers each year. The number of new officers who join via the service academies and ROTC are consistent. OTS/OCS selection criteria can be relaxed or tightened to adjust the final number from year to year as needed. But it's ALWAYS the worst odds for actually getting commissioned.

What kind of career field are you looking at, and/or what service?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Godholio posted:

A couple of things to think about :

Joining ROTC ensures that, if you're competitive and likely to actually complete the program and commission, you will get a scholarship for at least the last two years of school. As a general rule, the military does not offer loan repayment programs if you join via OTS/OCS later, although sometimes when they really need people they offer such a program. It's up to the individual service to decide whether to offer it or not. The AF hasn't offered loan repayment in well over a decade, the Navy is probably the same.

OTS/OCS have the lowest selection rate. These programs are used as the "valve" to control the number of new officers each year. The number of new officers who join via the service academies and ROTC are consistent. OTS/OCS selection criteria can be relaxed or tightened to adjust the final number from year to year as needed. But it's ALWAYS the worst odds for actually getting commissioned.

What kind of career field are you looking at, and/or what service?

Career field in general? I don't know. Knowing little about the jobs available I'm thinking of trying for either a position related to intelligence or something with finances, based on possibly going to a business school after. Service-wise I'm pretty much guaranteed to go into Army because that's what my dad was in. (A small part of this is the usual living up to expectations.)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DONT JOIN THE loving ARMY

Signed

GiP

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Seriously. I don't care if your dad was Army. He will call you an idiot and so will everyone here. Air Force treats their people better, have objectively better and worse duty stations (loving Missouri vs Kansas) but most importantly the bullshit level is soooooooo goddamn high in the Army. More so than literally any other branch.

Where have our smart poster children been from? Chelsea Manning? Army. I actually served with someone who was in her squad during the whole thing. Bergdahl army, Anderson army, Maj whatever-the-gently caress-fort-hood-shooter-oval office army (again, served with someone who was on scene when that happened).

I have sat and drank beers next to now convicted murderer who killed his coworker, one of my "bosses" at the time, for insurance money because he and the dudes wife were banging. I have been in positions of extreme psychological discomfort for no reason to the point where my body almost loving gave up during surgery. I was only doing 4 breaths a minute. I have had friends die from suicide and you will have to face that poo poo as a commander. I won't get into how much crap about field problems or green weenie or whatever but you can get the GI bill without all of that bullshit.

I served the Army for 9 years, will never run again, am disabled, and was told I was too fat for an award when being kicked out of service.

Don't join the loving army.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah especially since the Marine's have a more significant presence in Japan! Ganbare!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Where have our smart poster children been from?

The guy HDI and I knew who punched his babby to death is AF.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Soulex posted:

Signed

GiP

gently caress the army forever its not worth it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Signed

GiP

Congrats now he's gonna join the army.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You have to use reverse psychology in a case like this one.

Ignore all of the people telling you not to join the Army. You should definitely join. In fact, you should enlist for the 18X program and become a super high-speed operator. Special Forces is a guaranteed panty-dropper, so you'll be up to your eyeballs in pussy!*

*Women you may sleep with not guaranteed to be attractive.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, to be honest, if I was gonna join again I'd go 18X.

Yeah, probably gonna flunk or medical out and spend the next 2 years as infantry, but the 2 dudes that I met who washed out basically had their PFC dicks wildly sucked by everyone around them.

And then if you make it, well, you're SF.

But that's only if I had to do it again, with my first option being gently caress NO.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I'll look into the Air Force. The most important things are to have a chance at that scholarship and to have some interesting experiences.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Unholy Ghost posted:

to have some interesting experiences.

Oh my god I love you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'll look into the Air Force. The most important things are to have a chance at that scholarship and to have some interesting experiences.

Rate your interests in pushing paper and policing cigarette butts on a scale from 1-10?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TBeats posted:

Oh my god I love you.

Getting oil checked by your coworkers is nothing if not interesting.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

The Unholy Ghost posted:

have some interesting experiences.

my sweet summer child

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Can we have a show of hands of everybody who had interesting experiences while in (and sometimes even after!) the military?

Should I go first?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I almost got committed to the in-patient mental health ward at Benning on my third day in 30th AG because they thought I was someone else.

That was my first interesting experience with the military.

Should have taken it as foreshadowing tbh.

Also McNally's interesting experiences (I didn't read the name of who posted that) should be put in a novel and required reading before you ever step foot into a recruiter's office.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Unholy ghost my man you need to read through McNally's post history and decide if you really want to have similar interesting experiences

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
yeah read mcnally's post history. you'll find out why we in GiP roll our eyes back into our heads so loving hard that our retinas disconnect when we hear "THANX 4 UR SERVICE" and all that bullshit lipservice especially from politicians or the VA. you know the only thing i miss about the military? and this isn't going to happen to you, i was lucky to deploy with a bunch of guys who i'm closer with than anyone i ever will be in my life. we had a poo poo deployment and a lot of people got killed. besides that friendship everything else was poo poo. i got poo poo on in my second unit when i told them i didn't want to re-enlist and treated like subhuman trash. i got TB. i've got bad loving PTSD and rage issues, depression, and anxiety. i live off my disability pay because i'm such a loving wreck that i can't even keep down a community college class because of my issues, and i'm not loving qualified for any sort of work except temp jobs at construction sites because i wasted my twenties getting shot at and being blown up in iraq and afghanistan instead of trying to get into a career or college. i've put a gun in my mouth more times than i can count on my fingers. i'm completely antisocial and basically don't have friends anymore because no one gives a poo poo. that's the "interesting" experiences you'll get.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I put a gun to my head because I couldn't deal with military bullshit anymore. Luckily I wasn't all there and forgot to take the safety off so when I pulled the trigger nothing happened.

You might have a great time in the military. Seriously. But having a great time is only two sides of a six sided dice.

If I gave you a dice and said "roll this, you have a 1/3 chance of having a great time and a 2/3 chance of hating your life," is that a dice you would want to roll?

We aren't trying to talk you out of it, except we totally are. Go to school, get a degree, and get a job outside of the military. You might have that "what if" feeling about joining for the rest of your life, but that is SSOOOOOOOO loving MUCH BETTER THAN THE POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE.

And don't be that douchebag who constantly says "yeah I was thinking about joining." Nobody cares.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Hello, I mostly lurk here, but here goes. I was a guard at Camp Bucca in 2004 when the Abu Gharib story broke. I was serving with the Pennsylvania National Guard and was assigned to a Field Artillery unit that was retrained as ‘MPs.’ I also spent some time at Abu Gharib.
I was active duty from 1989-1998 and also served in Desert Storm. I left active duty in 1998 and pursued an IT degree. I joined the National Guard in 2003 and retired in 2012. Yes, I'm old (45).
I am so jaded and disillusioned with everything. When I was a civilian I worked for Koch Industries as a programmer for their asphalt company, where I uncovered a systematic collusion to defraud Native Americans, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/blood-and-oil/ .
I also wrote software for Amazon warehouses that was sold for millions, all that money went to my employer, I had my bonus canceled and my health insurance costs rise that same time.
I joined the Guard in 2003 as a Forward Observer (13F). I was called up for active duty later that year. We ended up assigned to Camp Bucca where I worked as a guard. There were no permanent facilities when I first arrived, it was c-wire and tents. It was hot and brutal. At one point the general in charge had people in dog cages with no shade.
I left Bucca in September 2004 on emergency leave after my home was destroyed by a flood. My wife and children were able to escape but we lost everything. I went home for emergency leave and tried to sort things out. I received amazing help from my civilian co-workers. My commander, on the other hand, thought that because we were renting at the time I should have just sucked it up.
I returned to Bucca in October 2004 and had a breakdown. I ended up being compassionately reassigned and sent home. That involved being sent to Ft Dix to wait indefinitely. I was only able to leave Ft Dix after getting my Congressman involved.
I returned home in November 2004. I stayed with the Pennsylvania guard until 2007 when I moved to Kansas. I retired in 2012 and now live in Colorado.
That’s my background.
I started seeing the VA in 2008 and have since been diagnosed with PTSD as well as a TBI. I am not really currently receiving any treatment since I moved to Colorado in 2015.
The VA in Colorado has been very frustrating. I see a different doctor every time I go in and it seems like I have to start over every time I go. On the other hand, the VA in Wichita had me on so many medications I nearly died, I was able to ween myself from all of them, and currently take nothing. I do however consume entirely too much cannabis, which I recognize isn’t good.
My experience with veteran’s charities has been more of the same disappointment. After the flood, not one military group helped us, even as the President gave a speech a few hundred feet from my destroyed home (https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2004/09/images/20040922-9_p8c4358-515h.html)
I have since sought help from various groups to no avail. I do however have some nice swag from different charities. A branded watch cap is ever so helpful. I was too sick to get a service dog, but not sick enough to go on a veteran’s retreat.
I am 100% disabled, permanent and total, and receive social security, yet I feel completely forgotten. I fight to get even a neurological appointment. My wife is my caregiver through the VA. She hasn’t received a call from the VA since we moved here and they quickly reduced her pay for the program. None of the checkups or home visits have been done. The VA is just a paycheck at this point.
It’s very frustrating and disheartening. I see all the talk about helping veterans but it just doesn’t seem to trickle down. Everyone seems as though they all talk more than they act.
Any advice?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

yeah read mcnally's post history. you'll find out why we in GiP roll our eyes back into our heads so loving hard that our retinas disconnect when we hear "THANX 4 UR SERVICE" and all that bullshit lipservice especially from politicians or the VA. you know the only thing i miss about the military? and this isn't going to happen to you, i was lucky to deploy with a bunch of guys who i'm closer with than anyone i ever will be in my life. we had a poo poo deployment and a lot of people got killed. besides that friendship everything else was poo poo. i got poo poo on in my second unit when i told them i didn't want to re-enlist and treated like subhuman trash. i got TB. i've got bad loving PTSD and rage issues, depression, and anxiety. i live off my disability pay because i'm such a loving wreck that i can't even keep down a community college class because of my issues, and i'm not loving qualified for any sort of work except temp jobs at construction sites because i wasted my twenties getting shot at and being blown up in iraq and afghanistan instead of trying to get into a career or college. i've put a gun in my mouth more times than i can count on my fingers. i'm completely antisocial and basically don't have friends anymore because no one gives a poo poo. that's the "interesting" experiences you'll get.

This poo poo right here makes me realize those people who are all "people have it worse than you suck it up" need to get hosed. I see that and go "Jesus, that's hosed up."

Then I vent about my issues which I feel are trivial in comparison and get "Jesus, that's hosed up."

Not really sure what my point was anymore.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Not really sure what my point was anymore.

poo poo is hosed. People are awful. The military is the worst.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
That is all terrible stuff, so I'd hope that a high enough ASFAB score would give me a position away from the front-lines. Regardless, I have to go to graduate school, and pretty much the only way I can pay and go is with a big scholarship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Unholy Ghost posted:

That is all terrible stuff, so I'd hope that a high enough ASFAB score would give me a position away from the front-lines.

Smdh