Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Ironically half the reason there isn't a 757 replacement is the airlines short-sightedly thinking they didn't need/want one. When Boeing was looking for orders to see if they had the interest to justify developing a new plane back in the 90s/00s, most of the airlines said "nah, we're good,' figuring they'd just buy up more 737 size aircraft instead. And then all the things they expected to make that a viable plan didn't happen and whoops that 757 size is perfect for how they actually operate.

And when they called Delta all they wanted was to know when the MD-90 was going to be produced again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Seeing -300s come out of National is interesting:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really mind the long narrowbodies. As long as it's boarding from L2 it's all good.

What's L2?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CharlesM posted:

What's L2?

Left side, second door.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm reading Ben Rich's book about building the F-117 this week. He's got a lot of anecdotes and details about that aircraft plus others. The book is ultimately more than just the Nighthawk, as he goes into detail with his fellow colleagues, the U-2, and SR-71.

So far the standout tidbit has been about the Blackbird where in testing a pilot had both engines flame out only to have them restarted around 30,000 MSL. The resulting sonic boom after the -71 regained airspeed destroyed lots of windows and collapsed a chimney at a nearby factory, which killed two workers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Eej posted:

I said this the last time this picture was posted in this thread but the fuselage still looks like it's bending mid-flight to me like when you wobble a pencil.

It is bending.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seeing -300s come out of National is interesting:

Hasn't been called that for 18 years now. :smuggo:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mortabis posted:

Some of us are over 18.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Thai Gripen crashes during Children's Day air show; pilot dead
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1180041/gripen-jet-crashes-during-air-show-pilot-killed
:rip:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mortabis posted:

I won't ever call it Reagan, and I'm not alone in this area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
National Airport was already named for a president: George Washington.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD337cuIljA

240p so very hard to make out detail, so why not speculate? The Gripen FBW is a usual suspect by now. It might look like he's rolled it and is going to pull a sharp, flat turn, but then it goes into an accelerated stall, drops the lower wing and he fails to recover in time. Or maybe GLOC?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So what do you guys think happened here?

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/12/cessna-525c-citation-cj4-n614sb.html?m=1

From its highest altitude it looks like it would have taken <1 minute to impact the lake. Check out the last two reported speeds too.

Control surface failure?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I sat in one of these recently.

It's been years since I last traveled by air, so it was all quite new and exciting. :shobon:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Control surface failure?

Pilot error and weather probably; turning at night over water with a pilot with 2 years experience under his belt in 30+ knot winds and snow isn't the best way to start off your flight.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pilot error and weather probably; turning at night over water with a pilot with 2 years experience under his belt in 30+ knot winds and snow isn't the best way to start off your flight.

Yeah I probably wouldn't have agreed to fly with him in those conditions. I can imagine how that type of aircraft could give you an excess of confidence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

wrap it up, Reasonailures, even Chuck Yeager endorses disruption:

"Rules are made for people who aren't willing to make up their own."
—Chuck Yeager

I'm usually all about saying "gently caress techbros and their disruption poo poo" but I really really want an SST.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yeah, there's a reason why single-pilot IFR is heavily restricted for commercial operations (at least in Canada, I'm not sure about the US) -- it's difficult at the best of times, much less when you're flying a single pilot jet where everything happens faster, and you have relatively little experience either in general or on type.

And arguably, you probably shouldn't be flying a business jet with 2 years experience either. EDIT: Maybe F/O under an experienced captain, but not by yourself.

Just because you have the money to do something, doesn't mean you should.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 14, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm usually all about saying "gently caress techbros and their disruption poo poo" but I really really want an SST.

I know how you feel. On the one hand, I find quite a few of their "airliners haven't tried to innovate since the sixties" dumb bullshit, but I think the idea of SSTs again is pretty neat.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I won't ever call it Reagan, and I'm not alone in this area.

You're not alone, but close to it. I've lived in Fairfax for 17 years, and almost never hear it called National.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone who cares anything about labor will never call it Reagan

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You could also just call it DCA.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone who cares anything about labor will never call it Reagan

let's name an airport after the man who killed more queers than hitler

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Aeronautical Insanity: ITT we get mad at the 1980s

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's always time to get mad at reagan :colbert:

i literally have more respect for people who like nixon than people who like reagan

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's a county road near where I grew up that was renamed Ronald Reagan Blvd around 2001, even as a kid it took me like 5 years to stop calling it 427 cause gently caress that guy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: ITT we get mad at the 1980s

Isn't that basically Defense Procurement Megathread?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm reading Ben Rich's book about building the F-117 this week. He's got a lot of anecdotes and details about that aircraft plus others. The book is ultimately more than just the Nighthawk, as he goes into detail with his fellow colleagues, the U-2, and SR-71.

So far the standout tidbit has been about the Blackbird where in testing a pilot had both engines flame out only to have them restarted around 30,000 MSL. The resulting sonic boom after the -71 regained airspeed destroyed lots of windows and collapsed a chimney at a nearby factory, which killed two workers.

Skunk Works is a loving amazing book and pro-read for anyone. If you want to go even deeper into the sperg there's From Rainbow to Gusto which includes cool stuff like the A-1 through A-11 and some info on FISH/Kingfish.

Re: SSTs, this paper is dated but pretty interesting; http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a510143.pdf

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Isn't that basically Defense Procurement Megathread?

:thurman:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Skunk Works is a loving amazing book and pro-read for anyone. If you want to go even deeper into the sperg there's From Rainbow to Gusto which includes cool stuff like the A-1 through A-11 and some info on FISH/Kingfish.

Re: SSTs, this paper is dated but pretty interesting; http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a510143.pdf

Yea it's a great read. Absolutely mind boggling that the F-22 came about in 1988.

God knows what Skunk Works has on the drawing board now.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea it's a great read. Absolutely mind boggling that the F-22 came about in 1988.

God knows what Skunk Works has on the drawing board now.

A bunch of run-of-the-mill flying wing UAV's and a fusion reactor that, like all fusion reactors, is "10 to 15 years out." Allegedly an unmanned hypersonic SR-72 and an optionally-manned U-2 replacement.

I suspect that because Ben Rich didn't have the same hold over Lockheed leadership that Kelly Johnson had, he probably didn't get to hand-pick his replacement and now Skunk Works is just a milquetoast blue-sky development program within Lockheed with the invasive amount of corporate oversight that Johnson constantly fought to avoid. Occasionally when Lockheed is worried about bad press on something they've done, they'll trot out some concept that a Skunk Works engineer doodled because it's what he WISHES he was working on instead of the Desert Hawk RC plane so they can say they're working on something cool.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hey now if we just keep giving them billions that fusion reactor will come along any day now.

I really wish that were true.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Just remember that any quarter he claims he won off Kelly was probably somebody else's.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey now if we just keep giving them billions that fusion reactor will come along any day now.

I really wish that were true.

Well...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Calling that chart speculative is being generous. It is predicting something that is totally unknowable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mortabis posted:

Calling that chart speculative is being generous. It is predicting something that is totally unknowable.

Well not unknowable. Geoffrey Olynyk is an MIT Grad that worked on their defunded fusion program.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Well not unknowable. Geoffrey Olynyk is an MIT Grad that worked on their defunded fusion program.

That gives him a big reason to argue for the program's funding, not perfect prescience.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ola posted:

That gives him a big reason to argue for the program's funding, not perfect prescience.

Sometimes people involved in programs saying those programs are underfunded are correct.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CommieGIR posted:

I doubt even he knows how much money it would take to develop fusion.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes people involved in programs saying those programs are underfunded are correct.

But what they say has minimal connection to whether or not they're underfunded. It provides us with no additional information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Yeah, I have to say, that graph assumes that research into fusion works like researching new techs does in Civilization games--money in is a direct indicator of progress, and can be used to estimate time of completion. Which as we all know has...issues.