Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NeurosisHead posted:

That's not even an electroplate weld, is it? It's just straight up adhesive.

Yep! Seems it was dissolved by the ink and I didn't have anything particularly problematic in the pen, just Visconti Blue. We'll see what Yafa has to say in regards to warranty claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Got all my packages! Wonderpens are amazing. The package got here mighty fast and they even included a postcard with a handwritten thank you note. I will be buying a lot from them.
Will post about the parallel pen when I get around to it I have a lot of stuff to check out!

Wow the parallel pen is very easy to use. Checked one tutorial and just tried. First time ever. Very happy.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 10, 2017

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Megabound posted:

I've always wondered about getting a set of Parallels and would like to hear about what you think of it when it arrives.

I've got a full set and play with them pretty regularly. Whatcha wanna know? I think they're worthwhile, but the practical uses of the biggest 2 are debatable unless you're into making signs or something. I use one as a highlighter for studying. The 1.5mms get used all the time for lists and scribbles--I bought a 2nd just so I could do colour transfers more easily.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I've got a full set and play with them pretty regularly. Whatcha wanna know? I think they're worthwhile, but the practical uses of the biggest 2 are debatable unless you're into making signs or something. I use one as a highlighter for studying. The 1.5mms get used all the time for lists and scribbles--I bought a 2nd just so I could do colour transfers more easily.

I was going to practice a bit of calligraphy with them, I was just wondering if the novelty was worth the price really. I enjoy playing around with stubby nibs, and the colour gradation seems interesting.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Megabound posted:

I was going to practice a bit of calligraphy with them, I was just wondering if the novelty was worth the price really. I enjoy playing around with stubby nibs, and the colour gradation seems interesting.

I paid about $12 CAD each, in a set of four and then picking up a couple extra. The colour-change is fun, and a Pilot Con-50 (or any Pilot cartridges) fit them, though the proprietary mixable ink is more consistently successful for mixing than using higher quality ink... however, the 1670 Herbins (particularly Emeraude) are absolutely fantastic in them. You really get to see the shimmer, and they clean up just fine.

They're plastic and don't feel like expensive pens, but they are quite a bit of fun. Worth what I paid. I've seen them posted for $20 a piece, which is what my local art supply store sells them for, and for that I wouldn't have bothered.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What are some good (preferably free) resources for improving my handwriting? Now that I have dumped all the money into pens and all of the samples, I feel it's worth not wasting it on barely legible writing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Demon_Corsair posted:

What are some good (preferably free) resources for improving my handwriting? Now that I have dumped all the money into pens and all of the samples, I feel it's worth not wasting it on barely legible writing.

http://palmermethod.com/

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My new ASA Sniper finally turned up after something like 3.5 months. It's very solid and well built and I love it very much.

Does anybody have any experience with the Sniper (or any other Indian eyedropper pen utilizing a Bock nib unit) converted to an eyedropper? If so, how does it compare to the standard Indian ebonite feed pens when it comes to burping?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

My new ASA Sniper finally turned up after something like 3.5 months. It's very solid and well built and I love it very much.

Does anybody have any experience with the Sniper (or any other Indian eyedropper pen utilizing a Bock nib unit) converted to an eyedropper? If so, how does it compare to the standard Indian ebonite feed pens when it comes to burping?

I've used mine eyedropper, and had no problems. I think that the thickness of the barrel acrylic and the hooded feed made a world of difference. I noticed it a little bit more wet close to the end of the fill, but no burps.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I am having a TON of fun writing with my Noodler's Creaper flex. I'll kave to look into which of my pens I can convert to a flex nib. The parallel pen is awesome too. Already ordered a pack of color refils. I'll probably get a couple of extra pens too to play with mixing.

Ordered another 100$ of stuff of of wonderpens. That's what a wonderful buying experience gets you! Ordered a bottle of Noodler's ink operation overlord I just loved the sample so much. Also a ton of other samples and a basic Kaweko sport knowing I'll want the full brass one before long.

About my ebay auction the seller never answered me but he shipped the pen and the other auction ended with zero bids so I should be good. Loved the look of the pen and cannot wait to see it. Will probably undertake polishing it it seemed dull.

Of all my previous purchase the Lamy safary is by far the smootest. The Pilot metro gold medium is pretty scratchy compared. The Creaper flex is very very scratchy and had feed problems but I think I got it fix repositioning the nib and feeder. LOVE writting with it and the operation overlord orange ink.

Thanks again to the thread for all the great info. Also I HATE cleaning out a pen. HATE IT.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Welcome to the rabbit hole

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Iznogood posted:

Thanks again to the thread for all the great info. Also I HATE cleaning out a pen. HATE IT.

Just wait until you have to clean a vacuum filler, they are a nightmare.

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of empty bottles with better ergonomics and moving all my sailor bottled ink into them, so I can actually load my larger nibbed pens with those inks. At the same time it seems like an overreaction since I can syringe fill most of my pens.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 12, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Just wait until you have to clean a vacuum filler, they are a nightmare.

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of empty bottles with better ergonomics and moving all my sailor bottled ink into them, so I can actually load my larger nibbed pens with those inks. At the same time it seems like an overreaction since I can syringe fill most of my pens.

Yeah still need to deep clean my parker 51. Thinking of just sending it in somewhere to be serviced given the value. Then again I am a diy kinda guy and might end up doing it myself. It writes so well already...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Iznogood posted:

Yeah still need to deep clean my parker 51. Thinking of just sending it in somewhere to be serviced given the value. Then again I am a diy kinda guy and might end up doing it myself. It writes so well already...

The 51 is easy, just flush with solution until that runs clear, then soak the nib section in clean water for an hour or so to see if you got everything.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

A small ultrasonic cleaner can be had for $20-$30 on amazon. It's amazingly low effort and your pens will never be cleaner.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

My Man Shran posted:

A small ultrasonic cleaner can be had for $20-$30 on amazon. It's amazingly low effort and your pens will never be cleaner.

Ditto your glasses and/or any jewelry. Got mine for pens, keeping it for glasses.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

My Man Shran posted:

I had no idea you could have them this cheap. Have any recommendations there is a lot of choice! Something under 100$ preferably. Unless the cheapest smallest one is all I really need. No idea never used one of these.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I have an isonic D3800A, no complaints.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

pienipple posted:

I have an isonic D3800A, no complaints.

Well all the isonics where back ordered 1-3 months so went with this: https://www.amazon.ca/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Eyeglasses/dp/B00HZVYAVM which hopefuly should be good enough too. I am a prime member so if it's not adequate I'll just return it. Getting it monday :dance:

Thanks!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Iznogood posted:

Well all the isonics where back ordered 1-3 months so went with this: https://www.amazon.ca/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Eyeglasses/dp/B00HZVYAVM which hopefuly should be good enough too. I am a prime member so if it's not adequate I'll just return it. Getting it monday :dance:

Thanks!

Looks like pretty much the same design, should be fine.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

pienipple posted:

Looks like pretty much the same design, should be fine.

I have a LOT of stuff that could benefit from this. It's, like the lamy safary or my koweko classic sport, a "test" purchase to see how I like it knowing full well before long I'll be getting some "upgraded version" of it. I restore vintage tonka trucks and a ultrasonic cleaner that I could just dump big metal pieces in would be great. And/or a sandblaster.. So many projects! So little time!

edit: my desk looks like some tortured poets desk. 100s of handwritten pages everywhere. But instead of poetry you get something akin to Jack Torrance's novel in The Shining. "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy". Here it's my name, everyone in the familly's names, the quick brown fox.... ad nauseum.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I sat at work and copied posts from the coke thread in TCC and the Star Citizen thread. Made for some real disjointed reading.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

I sat at work and copied posts from the coke thread in TCC and the Star Citizen thread. Made for some real disjointed reading.

Ha ha ha. I have read that thread man!! Good news everyone! Turns out the little cleaning pump tigny that came with my parallel pen makes flushing my lamy safary super easy. fits like a glove. Rinced the horrible lamy blue in 1 min.

Should of bought a converter. All I have is Lamy black that I have not yet tried. The blue did nothing for me. Next time I order something I'll make sure to get a converter.

Or hell I have a ton of silicon grease for rc stuff. I could just try my hand at a eye dropper I think the safary can be used like that?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you clean out one of the cartridges you can put ink in that and reuse it. I wouldn't eye dropper a safari, especially with the big hole in the side.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

If you clean out one of the cartridges you can put ink in that and reuse it. I wouldn't eye dropper a safari, especially with the big hole in the side.

Ha ha ha. Indeed the hole is a problem ha ha. I'll just get a converter. Had some shopping to do and of course had to stop by the local arts store. Got a sheaffer viewpoint calligraphy pen. 8 CAN$ figured why not. Found it on amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/73400AST-Sheaffer-Viewpoint-Calligraphy-Pen-Fine-73400/dp/B000JCPCRA

Played around with it 5 minutes. Seems to work well enough. I'll have to use it more to compare it to the pilot parallel but this one is a fountain pen which is nice.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 13, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You can eyedropper a Safari, it just takes a bit of work, and really, why bother?

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Exactly. As I said I'll just get a couple converters next time I order something ( should be soon ha ha...). I am in need of ink! INK!! I have a ton of lamy,pilot, etc blue and black but I hate them. No soul. Got thru my samplers and cannot loving wait for my order to come in sometimes next week. Wish I had ordered more then one full bottle but with all the samplers I should be able to come up with 5-6 nice colors I wish to have a full bottle of and never worry about it again.

The new calligraphy pen works fine but does not write on it's side like the parallel pens do. So I'd say not as good but looks ok and it writes. 8$ who cares! Also ordered a bunch of ebay pens. Already had a couple jinhao but got some hero pens this time. Great to practice servicing and to give out to friends or whatever. 0.99$-4.99$ shipped for a fountain pen is insane.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just got a Jinhao x750 in the mail that I totally do not remember ordering lol

It's really nice at least!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

Just got a Jinhao x750 in the mail that I totally do not remember ordering lol

It's really nice at least!

I have two of those and 4 550 I think? used to love them but most of my new pens are better. out of all my Jinhao one has been really good.Very smooth but like the others gets dry overnight. Always dipping it in water before using it. Saddest thing is they are the nicest pens I own!

Should be getting one from amazon today: It's a vanishing point! I think! https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CGWKMV2

edit: turns ou it's NOT a vp! ha ha. Very nice little pen still.
edit 2: Dargn my hero 257 is very smooth! Writes super well nothing to say. Posted it is very heavy and "back or top heavy?". Unposted it's a little short but not by much. Looks very good, very slim compared to the jinhao I have. Put Parker blue in it curious how long it will take to dry up and need "help" getting started again. Jinhao like I said is pretty much overnight. 10-12 hours it seems. We'll see!

But for 9$ on amazon and surely something ridiculous on ebay it's a steal.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 13, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iznogood posted:

I have two of those and 4 550 I think? used to love them but most of my new pens are better. out of all my Jinhao one has been really good.Very smooth but like the others gets dry overnight. Always dipping it in water before using it. Saddest thing is they are the nicest pens I own!

yeah it's super smooth. I ended up with a M nib (which makes me think this is not actually the pen I ordered because it would be exceedingly rare for me to order a M) but I put Tsukushi in it and it looks great, nice and wet and showing a lot of shading so I'm not disappointed with it at all. I have yet to see how it does overnight but the cap seems to be pretty tight.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Everything Burrito posted:

yeah it's super smooth. I ended up with a M nib (which makes me think this is not actually the pen I ordered because it would be exceedingly rare for me to order a M) but I put Tsukushi in it and it looks great, nice and wet and showing a lot of shading so I'm not disappointed with it at all. I have yet to see how it does overnight but the cap seems to be pretty tight.

I don't know that there's such a thing as a fine nib in the 450 and 750s for Jinhao.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't know that there's such a thing as a fine nib in the 450 and 750s for Jinhao.

that may explain it then, I just literally have no memory of ordering this specific pen XD

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Sure there is! You just don't know when and if you'll actually get one.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

My jinhao too have had giant nibs. The hero is much finer.

But! Thread! I have a problem! As much as I love my fountain pens! As much as I prefer some to others and want to get more and all that! I have been pretty exclusively writting with my Noodlers Creaper Flex pen! I am getting addicted to the easy fat sexy lines that make everything I write look like a precious letter from 500 years ago.

But the bugger is a pain in the rear end, too light, scratchy as hell, too small. What am I looking for here? The better Noodlers? A Falcon? Or what Nib must I ask for when buying a pen so it behaves like that?

edit: yeah reddit says old pens and I remember reading something about that here. We'll see how my ebay auction pen performs when it gets here. The list some pens but the falcon seems like a nice choice.. Metal one is quite expensive tho. I'll probably start with a better Noodler's before the big jump. That and checking ebay for gold nibbed vintage pens.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 14, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Iznogood posted:

My jinhao too have had giant nibs. The hero is much finer.

But! Thread! I have a problem! As much as I love my fountain pens! As much as I prefer some to others and want to get more and all that! I have been pretty exclusively writting with my Noodlers Creaper Flex pen! I am getting addicted to the easy fat sexy lines that make everything I write look like a precious letter from 500 years ago.

But the bugger is a pain in the rear end, too light, scratchy as hell, too small. What am I looking for here? The better Noodlers? A Falcon? Or what Nib must I ask for when buying a pen so it behaves like that?

edit: yeah reddit says old pens and I remember reading something about that here. We'll see how my ebay auction pen performs when it gets here. The list some pens but the falcon seems like a nice choice.. Metal one is quite expensive tho. I'll probably start with a better Noodler's before the big jump. That and checking ebay for gold nibbed vintage pens.

I just ordered an Ahab Flex, so when that arrives I'll tell you what I think of it, but for pens I've actually tried, the Pilot Falcon is the best modern flex pen I've used. The vintage pen you bought might have a soft nib on it as well, so you could wait to see how that writes, my vintage Swan is the nicest flex I own.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Because they look sick as hell?

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

Because they look sick as hell?

The do look sick but I guess if you're a fan of the safary look then this does not look like a safary anymore! Love the idea of a eye dropper tho and am looking at a demonstrator pens just for that. But in the meanwhile I have these chinese cheap pens and one of them must be convertable.

The Jinhao I cleaned and filled yesterday took ages to get going this morning. The Hero 257 went after 2 seconds. Much better it seems but I did use it till very late. I'll know before long.

Also made a kit for my girlfriend's 7year old daughter (been her "father" for 5 years ). A cute small pen case with 3 Pilot varsity, one jinhao fountain pen and one pencil. Also lots of cloths to clean up and a clairefontaine notebook to practice writting. She was so happy!

Just discovered a huge art stores 30 minutes from my house. Waiting for it to open and I'll head there look at what they have (I also draw a lot so am a sucker for anything that deposits something on paper). Hope they have some nice inks at least if not some pens.

edit: just gpt back from the store (Michael's a US chain I think). They have EVERYTHING for everything but ZERO fountain pen and like 5 bottle of generic dipping ink. So disapointed!! Did have caligraphy stuff so got another sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen but this time in fine nib.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just put some Baystate Blue in my Jinhao x750. Cheap pens and bad behaved ink = awesome

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Well to hold me off until I get my order from wonderpens (that has still not shipped ) I think I found somewhat of a solution. Have this 12 pack of color refills for the parallel pens. Turns out they fit in my metropolitans. And some of the colors have some shadding. There's a orange/yellow that looks surprisingly good. I'll try and post a pic later. But yeah I'll just use these in my pens when compatible or just transfer the ink. Already ordering a ton more bottles. i understand I'll never have enough but having none is mortal.

edit: help! Just ordered another 100$ of stuff off of wonderpens. Mostly inks and another noodler's pen because I love my creaper so much.

J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Fountain Pen Ink (50mL) - Emerald of Chivor - Full Bottle

Kaweco Slide-On Clip - Gold (have the pen in the other order and just realised it comes without the clip. Oh well there you go.

Noodler's Ahab Flex Fountain Pen - Midas Pearl

Noodler's Fountain Pen Ink (3oz/90mL) - Apache Sunset - Full Bottle

Noodler's Fountain Pen Ink (3oz/90mL) - Navajo Turquoise

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just ordered my first ink. I wanted something from the Iroshizuku series and was tempted to go with Shin-Kai but ended up choosing Tsuki-yo. I always go for blue-black so I thought I'd try something different, plus it seems like a lovely night sky colour.