Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I just noticed today that you can apparently fill out the post-it notes on a victory lap. I was able to get Apollyon's hard mode Hush and Boss Rush marks (and unlock Apollyon Baby) while doing a victory lap for the Rerun achievement.

Also, the bug that made Void forget its absorbed abilities when you save and reload seems to be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

swallowed penny is such a bearer of false hope

i can never grab that penny beforce the invincibility frames wear off

Ha ha. I have died as The Keeper chasing after that loving coin so many times.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I just noticed today that you can apparently fill out the post-it notes on a victory lap. I was able to get Apollyon's hard mode Hush and Boss Rush marks (and unlock Apollyon Baby) while doing a victory lap for the Rerun achievement.

Also, the bug that made Void forget its absorbed abilities when you save and reload seems to be fixed.

This is the opposite of how it was at launch. Who knows if this is a bug or intentional but I intend to abuse this for some of the dumb unlocks.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Todays daily is nice and easy, starts you off as Guppy, no treasure rooms (but a tech .5 in the boss rush and lump of coal in the devil deal after mom) in case you want to begin/continue the daily win streak achievement.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I just got +1 luck while donating coins to the machine. Has it always been that way?

I'm not sure what else it could have been.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

the popular kids posted:

I just got +1 luck while donating coins to the machine. Has it always been that way?

I'm not sure what else it could have been.

It's rare, but yeah, donating can occasionally raise your luck. If you're carrying the Karma trinket, the chance is increased and you can also sometimes get a full red heart or a Beggar. All you have to do to earn that incredibly useful trinket is defeat the hardest path boss in the game with arguably the most difficult character!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

You have to win five in a row as different characters, not hold R on five different characters until you start next to a curse room with three Guppy pieces.

To be fair, this is practically how the game is designed; Reset until you get items that you can reasonably progress with.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 14, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jamesman posted:

To be fair, this is practically how the game is designed; Reset until you get items that you can reasonably progress with.

See I'd buy the "Its designed around resetting" thing a lot more if the console version had a quick reset, but they dont.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SiKboy posted:

See I'd buy the "Its designed around resetting" thing a lot more if the console version had a quick reset, but they dont.

The console versions are glorified afterthoughts and really shouldn't be considered when talking about this game's design.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SiKboy posted:

by this logic you're also telling me that they don't intend for the game to work :aaaaa:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The game isn't designed around resetting.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yea the game is only designed for bad players to reset

(I reset)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

IUG posted:

Does anyone else try to drop a trinket or card, and then you can't hold any trinkets/cards without constantly holding down the button to drop them? I thought this was a problem with the new character, but I just got it with Issac twice today. I can exit the game and restart it, but it'll still be there. I have to exit the game all together to stop this. I'm on a Mac with a 360 controller.

I play on OS X but haven't had this issue. Only one I get is accidentally hitting F and the window being pure black until I resize it

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I would reset more if there was a way to do it with a controller. I mean I guess I could use third party software to bind the r button somewhere but that's dumb.

I was hoping that I could just build a mod for it but that is unfortunately well beyond what they intended to be capable with the official mod support.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I imagine with the new controller features on steam you could probably bind something like clicking the sticks to r.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Does Big Horn have the Hush/Greed damage reduction? I fought him in the dark room and it took almost as long as Delirium. The bestary says he's got about as much HP as Monstro which is very, very wrong.

He definitely does. I ran into him when I played the Pong challenge and my comically large tears barely hurt him when they were one/twoshotting the basement bosses. Because of this he is one of my least favorite bosses. You don't HAVE to fight Hush or Ultra Greed but you can run into Big Horn in the Caves or Dark Room and waste a full minute playing whack-a-mole with him regardless of how much damage you do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm finding a significant amount of rooms are resulting in me taking damage upon entering them. Possibly some sort of enemy placement fuckup or the result of all the poo poo I've collected through Victory Lap or something.

So it looks like doing the final lap as the Lost is going to be impossible since I'm just going to randomly take damage and die. :/

Edit: Nevermind consumed the Missing Poster I'm going to live forever now.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 15, 2017

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
wait what exactly is a victory lap??

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cobalt60 posted:

wait what exactly is a victory lap??

It's pseudo-New Game+. If you beat The Lamp, you get to restart on Hard Mode with (almost) all your items. Each consecutive run has you lose more items. Do this three times in a single run, and the third run will have you starting as The Lost, but without the D4 or Holy Mantle.

There are achievements/unlocks for beating it this many times.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why would you ever use the clicker

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would you ever use the clicker

If there was a way to control what character you get, I'd say getting to the end of a powerful run and clicking to The Keeper so you can get the achievements would be a good idea. As it is, all it did was ruin my first Afterbirth+ run when I clicked into him and restarted immediately. It's another one of those proof of concept items that's in there just because Edmund/Nicalis noticed it could be done.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Jamesman posted:

It's pseudo-New Game+. If you beat The Lamp, you get to restart on Hard Mode with (almost) all your items. Each consecutive run has you lose more items. Do this three times in a single run, and the third run will have you starting as The Lost, but without the D4 or Holy Mantle.

lol victory lap deletes items? amazing

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Oh wow, restarting as The Lost without the Holy Mantle is a killer. I thought it was just a random chance you could respawn as that character. I think extra lives are kept with you even if you lose the item that gives you them, so if you start as Isaac and get Dead Cat (which is almost a given with the D6) you should be fine as long as you can keep up absurd damage from run to run.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

that ivy guy posted:

lol victory lap deletes items? amazing

Yep. For example, in one of my runs I got Tech X in the Dark Chest, and started my next run without it. Which was disappointing, since it overrode my Ipecac and I was happy to be rid of my "I might blow myself up and die" item finally, but still keep all the damage from it.

In case it's not obvious, use Appolyon if you're going for the Victory Lap achievements. Consume tons of poo poo with Void to boost your stats to ridiculous levels and have a multi-use active item.

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh wow, restarting as The Lost without the Holy Mantle is a killer. I thought it was just a random chance you could respawn as that character. I think extra lives are kept with you even if you lose the item that gives you them, so if you start as Isaac and get Dead Cat (which is almost a given with the D6) you should be fine as long as you can keep up absurd damage from run to run.

There's currently a glitch/feature where if you use the Smelter to consume the Missing Poster, you permanently gain its effect. So I became immortal and everything was good. Strongly advise everyone tries to take advantage of this before it gets addressed.

I think what was killing me was I had a never-ending mass of flies from being Guppy, and from consuming every single locust trinket. One of the locusts is explosive, and if enemies spawn close enough to the doorway when entering a room, those locusts are far enough away to hit them right off the bat, but close enough that their blast radius will hit you. If you become a super-ultra death god with a horde of flies, keep this in mind.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 15, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh wow that's a new one Delirium. Crashing my game when you're at like 10% HP is real cheap. It probably saved right outside the boss room but still.

EDIT: It saved at the start of the Void...

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

IUG posted:

I'm on a Mac with a 360 controller.

Someone found a stranger way to play Isaac than 3DS

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played Isaac much since Afterbirth (not Afterbirth+) came out, but the idea that reset-scumming is the intended experience is seriously loving with me. There are actual people who actually think this? :psyduck:

I'm still mad that they gave the Lost the items people reset-scummed for, instead of making it harder to reset-scum The Lost (maybe have each Lost run cost an Eden token?).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

21 Muns posted:

I haven't played Isaac much since Afterbirth (not Afterbirth+) came out, but the idea that reset-scumming is the intended experience is seriously loving with me. There are actual people who actually think this? :psyduck:

I'm still mad that they gave the Lost the items people reset-scummed for, instead of making it harder to reset-scum The Lost (maybe have each Lost run cost an Eden token?).

Yeah gently caress them for making a the Lost a fun character instead of tedious garbage

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

21 Muns posted:

It's not the intended experience, but it's the only way to get a satisfying experience for the typical player, because of the game's design.

It's not really fun to wander around the first level, looking for the item room, only to find an item you know you can't rely on (The Wiz! Oh boy!), and if you insist on seeing the run through, you know your chances for failure are extremely high due to things our of your control. Better to keep resetting until the item room is right next to you, so you can check it right away and see if the item will actually help you make progress into what could possibly be a promising run.

Resetting 100 times is way less tedious than attempting 100 runs for the sake of NOT resetting.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think I only did floor 1 restarts for the really tedious challenges, or for unusually unlucky starts where I handicap myself right off the bat—like when the very first thing I do is eat a tears down pill. I still haven't played Afterbirth let alone Afterbirth+, so this could very well change, but I have hope as long as there are still item rooms, and won't consider a run unsalvageable until I'm underpowered at Depths II.

Also I never played with the specific intent to get to the boss rush in time, because that would be horrible. It's not super rare that you get runs where you reach it with minutes to spare, so I just planned for The Chest/Dark Room and only went for the boss rush if it was convenient. There are runs where I made it to the boss rush and walked out because I didn't like any of the items at the start and didn't want to jeopardize my chances of finishing.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 15, 2017

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Jamesman posted:

It's not really fun to wander around the first level, looking for the item room, only to find an item you know you can't rely on (The Wiz! Oh boy!), and if you insist on seeing the run through, you know your chances for failure are extremely high due to things our of your control. Better to keep resetting until the item room is right next to you, so you can check it right away and see if the item will actually help you make progress into what could possibly be a promising run.

Then again, a first floor treasure does not guarantee any good items or good RNG in future levels. I've had runs where I find a few good (not game-breaking) items on the first floors but nothing good after that. Contrariwise, I've had runs where the first treasures are garbage, but a devil deal totally makes up for the initial slog. Resetting doesn't guarantee a great run.

Also, call me crazy, but ever since flash Isaac I've found it extremely satisfying to turn the tables with a game changer after struggling at first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh that's a shame. Victory Runs disable achievements.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Eden runs with well below normal starting dps are worth reseting, oh boy those can be a complete slog.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think if you play like that you're never going to learn how to play better. Plus there were like two lovely items introduced in AB+ so there's less chance of getting screwed now.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

Eden runs with well below normal starting dps are worth reseting, oh boy those can be a complete slog.

On the other hand, they're extremely satisfying if you can break the run completely. I usually reset if the boss rush/mom devil deal doesn't give me any good items, because killing Isaac and Blue baby with base damage tears is something you only do once.

Losing a 22 Eden streak to soymilk is piss, however.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The best runs are when you use something that is normally lovely to break the run, like when I got Bum Friend but then got Samson's Chain and Lucky Rock. I fed Bum Friend a ridiculous number of coins and ended up beating Delirium that run.

If you reset scum you are a scrub.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Reset if you want who gives a poo poo

Play game the way you find most fun

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Look at this bunch of babies, resetting until they get a good item in their very first room. That's right next to them, no less; can't even be bothered to go looking for it, have to have it delivered to them on a sparkling gold platter! :corsair:

For me, the quintessential Isaac experience is making the most of what you are given. You figure out how the systems work, how to get consumables and spirit hearts and Devil Deals and whatnot, and then you squeeze every loving drop out of the game until you find enough good to make it work. Sometimes you find it in the first item room, sometimes in the first Devil Deal, sometimes you barely scrape it together over the course of an entire ruin, but you can almost always find if. You just have to look for it as you play, not refuse to play the game until it gives you a run catered to your desires. I can understand refusing to play some of the more bullshit challenges until the game gives you an easy out, but doing it on normal runs? At that point, you might as well just use a cheat engine. AB+ has some bullshit, but once they ironed out the kinks, regular Afterbirth could be won 99 percent of the time. I'm sure + will get there eventually as well... at least on PC. :pcgaming:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Look at this bunch of babies, resetting until they get a good item in their very first room. That's right next to them, no less; can't even be bothered to go looking for it, have to have it delivered to them on a sparkling gold platter! :corsair:

For me, the quintessential Isaac experience is making the most of what you are given. You figure out how the systems work, how to get consumables and spirit hearts and Devil Deals and whatnot, and then you squeeze every loving drop out of the game until you find enough good to make it work. Sometimes you find it in the first item room, sometimes in the first Devil Deal, sometimes you barely scrape it together over the course of an entire ruin, but you can almost always find if. You just have to look for it as you play, not refuse to play the game until it gives you a run catered to your desires. I can understand refusing to play some of the more bullshit challenges until the game gives you an easy out, but doing it on normal runs? At that point, you might as well just use a cheat engine. AB+ has some bullshit, but once they ironed out the kinks, regular Afterbirth could be won 99 percent of the time. I'm sure + will get there eventually as well... at least on PC. :pcgaming:

I honestly feel like Afterbirth made it harder to win with garbage loadouts, because of stuff like Ragman, the useless activated bean items and the grey maggots. Afterbirth+ is slowly improving, but the item selection is so much better than AB. Seeing Eye of Belial or Jacobs ladder makes you want to continue, even if the run is complete poo poo, because they're fun to use.
Afterbirth didn't help with the "reset until you find magic mush/crickets head/special item and go to town" strategy, but AB+ added a bunch of new items that I would start a run with, even with the bad characters.

They made stone fatties catch their breath, moved most of the Vis Sisters spawns so you don't take unavoidable damage, made portals easier to deal with. Outside of Big Horn and the new spiders with waaay too much HP, it feels like a much better main game expansion in almost every way. There's still bugs to fix and kinks to work out, but it's only been out for two weeks.
(Now they just need to make Greedier Mode doable without a D20 or Chaos :mad:)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I reset nowadays because since Afterbirth everything is a bullet sponge and I'd like at least a SLIGHT damage upgrade (or buffer health because then I can not give a poo poo) to get me going, thank you. I'm not rerolling for Cricket's Head or 20/20, mind you, I'll take a decent familar, Blood Clot, tears up, Rotten Baby...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I reset when I'm going for Hush/Delirium/Mega-Satan because it really sucks to waste 20-30 minutes only to find out you don't have good enough items to beat them.