Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It was a really, really close race between Zoast and Behemoth, but the horrific commentary sucked all enthusiasm out of the room.

The commentators would've been right at home at a golf tournament, except for the one guy who told the audience to go get hit by a bus.

I hope they don't invite that guy back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The commentators would've been right at home at a golf tournament, except for the one guy who told the audience to go get hit by a bus.

Best part of the run right there.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I watched the Sunshine race live and it was pretty dope because the couch could actually commentate.

It's a surprisingly hard skill, as aptly being demonstrated here.

The run I was thinking of - agdq 2014 as iospace pointed out - had a dedicated commentating team of sinister1 and golden contributing informative and easy to understand play-by-play analysis of the runners actions and strategies with spikevegeta reading donation comments. The commentating team for this race was stifling and bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorWhat posted:

rip my twitter mentions after daring to tweet the word "transphobia" at the gdq twitter

Context?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

SqueePower posted:

The run I was thinking of - agdq 2014 as iospace pointed out - had a dedicated commentating team of sinister1 and golden contributing informative and easy to understand play-by-play analysis of the runners actions and strategies with spikevegeta reading donation comments. The commentating team for this race was stifling and bad.

I think it was Sinister and Vegeta that also did the Ninja Gaiden Relay, AKA the best GDQ event of all time.

Good commenting absolutely makes or breaks these runs and I don't understand why for these headline games we don't get people like Sinister, Blechy, Golden, Vegeta, or any of the other hosts that know how to talk to a crowd.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
can someone link me a worst of gdq list? I can see all the great runs in the thread op, but now i want the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad runs. you know the kind im talkin about

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

iospace posted:

Context?

Zelda speedrunning community is still toxic as poo poo, made awful comments about Narcissa during the WWHD run.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aurora posted:

Zelda speedrunning community is still toxic as poo poo, made awful comments about Narcissa during the WWHD run.

The commentators?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

can someone link me a worst of gdq list? I can see all the great runs in the thread op, but now i want the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad runs. you know the kind im talkin about

Sadly, I can't think of any entertainingly terrible runs from this GDQ, certainly nothing like the glorious trainwreck that was Bonesaw's Jak and Daxter run. There was quite a bit going wrong during Dark Souls 3, but that was more depressing than funny.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sadly, I can't think of any entertainingly terrible runs from this GDQ, certainly nothing like the glorious trainwreck that was Bonesaw's Jak and Daxter run. There was quite a bit going wrong during Dark Souls 3, but that was more depressing than funny.

im not talking so bad it loops around to being loving amazing like that j&d run. im talkin your crash 2's, your "really prefer's", your shuttle busses. when I mean bad, i mean baaaaaaad

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat

JerikTelorian posted:

...Sinister, Blechy, Golden, Vegeta, or any of the other hosts that know how to talk to a crowd.

Yeah it's absurd. I'm thinking maybe there's people who consider themselves knowledgeable of a specific game and volunteer to do commentary but they lack that essential skill of making that knowledge understandable and relatable and exciting to the hundreds of thousands of viewers. I'm watching this poo poo tick up unstoppably towards $2 mil, production was so tight this year, it's such a shame that the big run was commentates by amateurs.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

And they crushed :10bux: $2 Million Dollars :10bux: before the Undertale run even began.

PCF getting some extra fun money this year.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fadam posted:

The commentators?

The couch is what I'm hearing, and the GDQ team is refusing to actually address the issue publicly which is bad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

im not talking so bad it loops around to being loving amazing like that j&d run. im talkin your crash 2's, your "really prefer's", your shuttle busses. when I mean bad, i mean baaaaaaad

If you want juicy drama, I think some guy got banned for wearing a Trump hat early on, but that wasn't during an actual run. That's about all I remember. This AGDQ went over pretty smoothly for the most part.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aurora posted:

The couch is what I'm hearing, and the GDQ team is refusing to actually address the issue publicly which is bad.

What did they say?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

fadam posted:

What did they say?

they used the wrong gendered nouns and said triggered once or twice during their run, so take that for what its worth

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fadam posted:

What did they say?

Deadnaming constantly, making triggered jokes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

On mic? I'm surprised AGDQ didn't do anything.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you want juicy drama, I think some guy got banned for wearing a Trump hat early on, but that wasn't during an actual run. That's about all I remember. This AGDQ went over pretty smoothly for the most part.

i saw that and even argued in the guy's defense because i thought he got banned for just having a trump hat on his person, not on camera or wearing it. and then it very quickly came out as to how much of a piece of poo poo he is. shame the only good bad moment was beaniebusbro

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

i saw that and even argued in the guy's defense because i thought he got banned for just having a trump hat on his person, not on camera or wearing it. and then it very quickly came out as to how much of a piece of poo poo he is. shame the only good bad moment was beaniebusbro

Even if he's a piece of poo poo I don't think wearing a Trump hat is ban-worthy imo, but apparently AGDQ has a strict zero-politics policy that everyone at the venue knew about so its about as fair a ban as it gets.

I saw some Twitch clip someone posted of the "transphobic" moment during the WW run and it was literally just the commentator calling something the Cosmos skip then correcting himself and calling it the Narcissica skip. That doesn't seem that bad to me, but I guess there might have been other stuff during the run.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fadam posted:

Even if he's a piece of poo poo I don't think wearing a Trump hat is ban-worthy imo, but apparently AGDQ has a strict zero-politics policy that everyone at the venue knew about so its about as fair a ban as it gets.

I saw some Twitch clip someone posted of the "transphobic" moment during the WW run and it was literally just the commentator calling something the Cosmos skip then correcting himself and calling it the Narcissica skip. That doesn't seem that bad to me, but I guess there might have been other stuff during the run.

Yeah, I'm not too sure on the details myself but I really don't care for the Zelda speedrunning community at this point to watch any Zelda runs. It's just what I'd been hearing.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

its because charities have to have no political associations, and because agdq is a part of preventcancer they can't have that poo poo. also he tweeted some "joke" tweets about shooting up agdq so he was already on thin ice.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
Take the commentary and other microaggressions about dead gay streamers to the meme thread along with their gender!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SqueePower posted:

Take the commentary and other microaggressions about dead gay streamers to the meme thread along with their gender!

Nah, this is the critique station, where it belongs. :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, Undertale: already a high recommendation.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Undertale's run is amazing. I know nothing about the game and have never played it, but the runner is one of the most legit entertaining people all weekend. Considering the run before was actively shushing the crowd, this guy is openly asking the audience to chant and make noise and it's really, really fun.

Luna Was Here posted:

If you want bad for reasons that's not drama, Intelligent Qube was horrendous. Incredibly boring game, extremely uninteresting visuals, and the commentators don't explain anything on a game which the mechanics are not really obvious. By far the worst run this year that I personally witnessed.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

fadam posted:

The banned people are known troublemakers and were both warned in the past. The fact that they were invited this year is more generosity than they deserved, so they were banned for far less.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, this GDQ broke all records and was probably about the most solid GDQ I've seen all around. Please don't emphasize the few morons that tried to destroy it, since there was so much great stuff.

Great ending going on here right now.

My full list of recommendations will be comin' later based on what I've seen, I've missed a lot of good stuff.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah, Undertale was a fantastic finale and one of the best runs of the GDQ with an amusing runner who kept the audience engaged.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

wouldn't be agdq 2017 without one last tech fuckup

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I haven't seen the Undertale run yet, but it was definitely a good idea to have something else as a finale other than Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A little piece from the SA speedrun IRC channel.

quote:

[08:20:44] <CO2> [07:35:51] <alexxerth> I forget if it was Everdraed or if it was Toby Fox himself, but one of them said they had a design of photoshop flowey that was too horrifying and got scrapped, I don't think they ever said which one it was specifically, but the early design that we know of *is* pretty horrifying
[08:20:48] <CO2> Everdraed ^ confirm?
[08:21:01] <Everdraed> haha so that's not entirely accurate
[08:21:11] <Everdraed> I didn't have like another version finished or layed out, but like
[08:21:15] <Everdraed> I make goatse gifs as a hobby
[08:21:30] <Everdraed> my default mental design for flowey when tasked with 'make a disturbing end boss' was uh
[08:21:55] <Everdraed> welllllllllll
[08:22:06] <Everdraed> I mean
[08:22:07] <@flatluigi> Everdraed.... do you have that version....
[08:22:11] <Everdraed> he's a fukken goat
[08:22:30] <Everdraed> nope nope just a mental image
[08:22:52] <Everdraed> and then I described something that was veering in that direction (not even implying goatse) and toby was like '.... No.'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I missed most of this live :negative:

But what I did see was really good

And now I have a ton of already vetted awesome runs to watch for the next week :neckbeard:

Thanks again to the organizers, I love the work you do, GDQ is like a warm blanket for the soul twice a year

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, here's my updated list of recommendations - there's still a lot of good ones I haven't seen though.

- Ocarina of Time 3D - crazy glitches, very good commentary
- Shovel Knight - really tight race, also great commentary
- Mega Man - same here, very good race
- Hitman : Blood money - good couch, fun glitches
- Kalimba - crazy skill involved, runner playing co-op by himself, effectively controlling 4 characters at the same time
- New Super Hook Girl - lots of skill, fast pace, short game

- Salt & Sanctuary - at least catch the Any Unicorn% which takes just a few minutes, it's hilarious
- Blaster Master - great race with a surprise, all-star couch commentary
- Ninja Gaiden 1 & 3 Pacifist - Even harder than the real thing
- Jazz Jackrabbit - It had good commentary, great nostalgic feel
- Road Trip Adventure - this game is broken and funny, great runner
- Super Metroid Rotation - for obvious reasons

- Super Mario Bros. block - great races, great BigJon
- Final Fantasy: it's 4 hours, don't let it scare you. Feasel, Gyre and Puwexil. Great commentary, really tense moments. Put it on and let those guys' knowledge fill you up.
- Kabuki Quantum Fighter - inspirational stories and awesome speedrunning
- Castlevania : Rondo of Blood - Dracula is defeated by anime
- The entirety of the Awful Block (starts from Batman Forever)
- Turok: The dinosaur hunter - Runner Bawkbasoup is a real fun guy and this run has some real butt-clenching platforming

- Bleed - Studio running and has the dev on the couch
- Snailiad - It's Metroid with snails.
- Action Henk: It's Trials without the bike. Fast-paced, good commentary. (the lesser known games block had some really good runs.)
- Woolfe: Red Hood diaries: nice little run with great execution
- Duck Tales - literally the closest race I've ever seen
- Metal Slug 3 - c'mon, it's Metal Slug! And the runner makes it look easy.
- GTA Vice City: Incredibly broken game, fun glitches, great runner explaining it really well and couch provides nice reactions to random events going on. Another contender for me for "best run of AGDQ 2017"
- SMB Lost Levels 2players 1 controller with BigJon & AndrewG - top contender for best run of AGDQ 2017
- TASbot block

(might update later when I see more)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 16, 2017

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah just pretend Super Metroid Rotation was the real Super Metroid run this year. :yikes:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Yeah just pretend Super Metroid Rotation was the real Super Metroid run this year. :yikes:

But man, this was overall a fantastic year. :)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
undertale run is possibly the best finale for any games done quick event ever. it was amazing. i cried. you all should watch it.

also here is my list of Confirmed Cool And Good Runs for ya'll

axeil posted:

off the top of my head

oot 3d
shovel knight
kalimba
sega bass fishing (no really)
blaster master for ~*BIG JON COMMENTARY*~
any of the mario block
pokemon emerald if you like pokemon
mega man x
halo 2
batman forever
timecop
cool town
star wars: shadows of the empire
kirby super star
donkey kong country relay
super dram world
super mario the lost levels 2 players 1 controller because ~*BIG JON*~
TASBot
Dark Souls 3 for the annual trainwreck run

oh and ducktales too for the closest race i've ever seen

that's all i got

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah the Undertale run was super good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my top recommendations in no particular order

Vice City. Great commentary, hilarious run, great glitches. Favorite run of the marathon.
Turok: Runner's just a -little- awkward in an endearing way and the run is super tense and butt clenching with some extreme jumps. You'll be holding your breath with the runner if you haven't seen it before. A+.
Awful games, especially Wolf Quest, Cheetahmen, and Donkey Kong 5.
Undertale: yoooo anime IS real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Yeah the Undertale run was super good.

I don't know, I feel you might be biased with that avatar :raise:

(for real though, it was absolutely amazing in every possible way)

TeaJay posted:

All right, here's my updated list of recommendations - there's still a lot of good ones I haven't seen though.

- Ocarina of Time 3D - crazy glitches, very good commentary
- Shovel Knight - really tight race, also great commentary
- Mega Man - same here, very good race
- Hitman : Blood money - good couch, fun glitches
- Kalimba - crazy skill involved, runner playing co-op by himself, effectively controlling 4 characters at the same time
- New Super Hook Girl - lots of skill, fast pace, short game

- Salt & Sanctuary - at least catch the Any Unicorn% which takes just a few minutes, it's hilarious
- Blaster Master - great race with a surprise, all-star couch commentary
- Ninja Gaiden 1 & 3 Pacifist - Even harder than the real thing
- Jazz Jackrabbit - It had good commentary, great nostalgic feel
- Road Trip Adventure - this game is broken and funny, great runner
- Super Metroid Rotation - for obvious reasons

- Super Mario Bros. block - great races, great BigJon
- Kabuki Quantum Fighter - inspirational stories and awesome speedrunning
- Castlevania : Rondo of Blood - Dracula is defeated by anime
- The entirety of the Awful Block (starts from Batman Forever)
- Bleed - Studio running and has the dev on the couch
- Woolfe: Red Hood diaries: nice little run with great execution
- Duck Tales - literally the closest race I've ever seen
- Metal Slug 3 - c'mon, it's Metal Slug! And the runner makes it look easy.
- SMB Lost Levels 2players 1 controller with BigJon & AndrewG - top contender for best run of AGDQ 2017
- TASbot block

(might update later when I see more)

I don't have my own list yet, but this is a good list of good runs!

• Locked thread