Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kero. :anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Thoughts on dogs after clearing V 1-4 with a CyBe:

- You can't be a mage. 14 skill is not enough for damage spells nor will it reliable land hexes with the race's low int.
- Enchanters are gimped, you will have 12ish int and dex at XL 12.
- If you want to melee, you can't use two handed weapons or a broad axe. You're basically forced to use either a laj or one of the three demon weapons + shield.
- your defenses are very limited post Orc compared to almost any other class with reasonably comparable apts.
- as a CyBe, I had maxed any skills I cared about by the time I got my first rune. Left me nothing to look forward to, and I shouldn't be forced to cast spells.
- It was awfully annoying when Trog gave me weapon after weapon that I had no prayer of using due to the skill cap
- Gammafunk had some ideas on urination-based abilities but you'd have to contact him for the details.

My feeling is the skill cap limits weapon choice excessively. I would lose the cap for weapons and shields. You'd have the choice of either spellcasting or getting into a big 2h weapon or large shield. Also would be thematic to give SInv at XL 12, maybe Sense Invisibility instead if that's possible to give to a player (I suspect not).

My other complaint is I would prefer to see a different balancing mechanic than low stats (6/6/6). Maybe give them low xp apt, barkitis, siren-like entrancement from any thrown weapon or dropped stave. Anything but crap stats.

Why? First, with barachians coming in as very low base stat race I'm not super excited about another one coming down the pike. I can tolerate capped skill with decent stats, or vice versa. The combination of both means I'll be by mid-game I'll reasonably bad at everything instead of reasonably good at everything.

Second, we had a strong representation in chat and consensus was the race is weak because stats are a hell of a lot more meaningful than marginally better apts. I'm inclined to agree. My POV, you want to melee, you pick a race with good melee apts and decent str/dex. You want to cast, you take a race without a gimped int and a spellpower cap.

That leaves hybrids, but the low stats make them very unattractive as hybrids as well. With most hybrid races I can have a high dex (for stabbing or dodgy races) or str (for damage and encumbrance) without sacrificing int to the point my spellpower is low and spell failure high. Conversely I can get my int high enough to do reasonable damage or land high percentage hexes, especially in the early game, and still have a decent str or dex.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

the major design hurdle there is, screamitis means you need to have three different verbs for shouting. (e.g. shout/yell/scream, meow/yowl/caterwaul). frogs have... ribbit, croak... croak loudly...?

Tier 3 can still be screaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800

EDIT: Who the gently caress made a lair ending with entropy weavers

what the gently caress is this nonsense

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 15, 2017

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

the major design hurdle there is, screamitis means you need to have three different verbs for shouting. (e.g. shout/yell/scream, meow/yowl/caterwaul). frogs have... ribbit, croak... croak loudly...?

galumph of course.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Give them Barkitis and memorisation by Natasha

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Bud, wei, ser

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I like the idea of dograce being able to selectively specialize. Make the skill cap more restrictive but every X levels they can unlock one skill and put more levels into it.

And yeah low stat races aren't great, having low stats blows.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Who the gently caress made a lair ending with entropy weavers

what the gently caress is this nonsense

Don't forget that someone decided to flavor entropy weavers as formicids and gave them sInv without a thought. Non-casters get to eat poo poo I guess.

e: Oh, and the flavor change got reverted but the sInv never went away. Crawl.

Darox fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 15, 2017

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

PleasingFungus posted:

Inspiration video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

Ribbit/Croak/:frogout:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Thoughts on dogs after clearing V 1-4 with a CyBe:

Thanks for the feedback!

Araganzar posted:

- You can't be a mage. 14 skill is not enough for damage spells nor will it reliable land hexes with the race's low int.
- Enchanters are gimped, you will have 12ish int and dex at XL 12.
- If you want to melee, you can't use two handed weapons or a broad axe. You're basically forced to use either a laj or one of the three demon weapons + shield.
- your defenses are very limited post Orc compared to almost any other class with reasonably comparable apts.
- as a CyBe, I had maxed any skills I cared about by the time I got my first rune. Left me nothing to look forward to, and I shouldn't be forced to cast spells.
- It was awfully annoying when Trog gave me weapon after weapon that I had no prayer of using due to the skill cap

My feeling is the skill cap limits weapon choice excessively. I would lose the cap for weapons and shields. You'd have the choice of either spellcasting or getting into a big 2h weapon or large shield.

Unfortunately, the skill cap portion is one of the inherent parts of the species. I have ideas for versions of the species that would allow you to increase the cap in various ways, but those would be balanced by making it extremely painful to do so.

Araganzar posted:

Also would be thematic to give SInv at XL 12, maybe Sense Invisibility instead if that's possible to give to a player (I suspect not).

The next revision of the species (whatever I push) will be including a sense monsters/items radius as a flavor mutation in order to give them more distinction, but I need to work out how specifically I want to implement it.

Araganzar posted:

My other complaint is I would prefer to see a different balancing mechanic than low stats (6/6/6). Maybe give them low xp apt, barkitis, siren-like entrancement from any thrown weapon or dropped stave. Anything but crap stats.

Why? First, with barachians coming in as very low base stat race I'm not super excited about another one coming down the pike. I can tolerate capped skill with decent stats, or vice versa. The combination of both means I'll be by mid-game I'll reasonably bad at everything instead of reasonably good at everything.

Second, we had a strong representation in chat and consensus was the race is weak because stats are a hell of a lot more meaningful than marginally better apts. I'm inclined to agree. My POV, you want to melee, you pick a race with good melee apts and decent str/dex. You want to cast, you take a race without a gimped int and a spellpower cap.

That leaves hybrids, but the low stats make them very unattractive as hybrids as well. With most hybrid races I can have a high dex (for stabbing or dodgy races) or str (for damage and encumbrance) without sacrificing int to the point my spellpower is low and spell failure high. Conversely I can get my int high enough to do reasonable damage or land high percentage hexes, especially in the early game, and still have a decent str or dex.

Yeah, the next revision of the species is going to bump the skills back up to human level (shifted around a bit to differentiate), because I feel that it didn't do a good enough job at forcing the differentiation of end game builds. It also introduced the issue that the species became absolutely bonkers to play with Chei.

Edit: I may end up not bothering to force differentiation of end game builds with future revision ideas, since it seems to be mutually exclusive with skill cap.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2017

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

Unfortunately, the skill cap portion is one of the inherent parts of the species. I have ideas for versions of the species that would allow you to increase the cap in various ways, but those would be balanced by making it extremely painful to do so.

The next revision of the species (whatever I push) will be including a sense monsters/items radius as a flavor mutation in order to give them more distinction, but I need to work out how specifically I want to implement it.

Yeah, the next revision of the species is going to bump the skills back up to human level (shifted around a bit to differentiate), because I feel that it didn't do a good enough job at forcing the differentiation of end game builds. It also introduced the issue that the species became absolutely bonkers to play with Chei.

That sounds awesome. The skill cap is livable, the low stats are the real turn off. It would be great to have the option to bust the cap for one skill at great expense. Then one could for example use a triple sword or exec axe.

Right now using a demon xxx is just about mandatory and that's limiting, but I don't see that as a deal breaker. Small races face the same limitation. But please push the cap to 15 so it's not a slap in the face to shield users. Also people can forever argue about 14 vs 15 skill or 14 min delay vs 16 min delay weapons.

The only issue I see with Chei right now is you can get into high level transmutes including statue form pretty quickly. That's because no one else has +2 in unarmed, transmute, and earth. I think where the Cyno race will shine is those skills or skill combos that no one is good at that a Cyno can suddenly take advantage of.

Statform is modestly overpowered, and a number of races get abusive with Chei very quickly, so I'm not sure that should be considered a fatal flaw. I'm pretty sure if someone complained "this race is abusive using Chei" they would be laughed out of the secret dev webtiles server.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Does anyone know if being a monk stacks with praying at an unknown altar? I just did it and I still only had ** piety, which was somewhat disappointing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kaedric posted:

Does anyone know if being a monk stacks with praying at an unknown altar? I just did it and I still only had ** piety, which was somewhat disappointing.

As far as I can tell, the two bonuses added together are not quite enough to bring you to *** piety.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

You post this and no mention of which random god you got at almost ***?

BTW, so much hate here PF my DrCj has firestorm castable and now he needs 2 amnesia because of delayed fireball. And some games they are rarer than acquirement. Put book amnesia back and you can do whatever you want with the frogs!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ughhh grinder is such a little fuccboi

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Araganzar posted:

amnesia . . . And some games they are rarer than acquirement. Put book amnesia back

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Book amnesia was really cool and useful and it sucks that it's gone!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Araganzar posted:

You post this and no mention of which random god you got at almost ***?

It was just Okawaru :( zzzzz

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fighting two iron giants and having them toss loving hell sentinels back and forth is ridiculous.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
counterpoint: book amnesia was a weird kludgy mechanic that almost no one even knew about and it's good that it's good

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So I've decided to give DCSS another go after a long hiatus (I last played around the introduction of Spider Lair).

After crashing out a couple of the new races like gargoyle, I decided to go back to the staple MiFi and after choosing Qazlal, I'm rolling along pretty well with the 3 standard runes on hand.

I was going to throw on a set of Gold Dragon Scales which I remember being pretty standard end game armour for a non magic character, but when reading the wiki it warns off using them, even for Minos. I'm wondering if I should steer clear even though I've got 38 ST and 21 armour skill. I can always stick with regular dragon armour or some reasonable randart plate I found, but GDA would really help shore up my resistances (currently at rF++ and rC+ wearing FDA)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you already have rF and rC what would you need more resists for?

Wear something that has a good enchant level. Like if you already have +5 FDA or plate or whatever don't wear +0 GDA

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PotatoManJack posted:

reading the wiki
Please don't base strategy decisions on the wiki, which is out of date at best and comically misguided at worst. The learndb is more up to date, and other players are a better source of strategy info.

That said, this is a rare instance of badwiki being right for most characters. The extra AC from GDA isn't worth the severe drop in EV(and casting abilities, for chars who care about utility spells). The rF/rC/rPois may be worth it if you completely lack them, but your character doesn't. Carry resist rings to swap in if you find yourself needing extra resist pips for whatever reason.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for the answers - I'll stick to the FDA

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Maybe I'm not a great player, but if I had a Minotaur with 38 Strength and 21 Armor skill, I would wear the GDA. The penalties will be about as minimal as possible.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, but if the enchant is low compared to other armors it's still not worth it. It's only worth it if you have EA scrolls to sink into it that will put it on par or higher than the other heavy(ish) armors available.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

PotatoManJack posted:

So I've decided to give DCSS another go after a long hiatus (I last played around the introduction of Spider Lair).

After crashing out a couple of the new races like gargoyle, I decided to go back to the staple MiFi and after choosing Qazlal, I'm rolling along pretty well with the 3 standard runes on hand.

I was going to throw on a set of Gold Dragon Scales which I remember being pretty standard end game armour for a non magic character, but when reading the wiki it warns off using them, even for Minos. I'm wondering if I should steer clear even though I've got 38 ST and 21 armour skill. I can always stick with regular dragon armour or some reasonable randart plate I found, but GDA would really help shore up my resistances (currently at rF++ and rC+ wearing FDA)

Doing a wizard mode test with 38 strength, 9 dex, 21 armor, and 15 dodging
+0 fds: 15 AC / 15 EV
+0 gds: 23 AC / 12 EV

Filling empty slots (e.g. cloaks) to +0 gives an additional +6. Filling them with +2 gear takes that to +0 FDS 29 AC/ +0 GDS 37 AC. If you somehow got all this way without finding and enchanting a dragon armor before now I'd consider the gold dragon scales superior - but that's primarily because 38 Strength is fairly absurd. I'd argue that a typical strength for a heavy armor character without cheibriados might be around 26, but I'd be bullshitting you because I haven't been looking it up. Coincidentally, the average strength for all my recently won games has been exactly 26 according to the bots. I'd blame Cheibriados for that.

Since I'm curious, I'll pester sequell for "!lg * recent won mifi x=avg(str)" - apparently the average strength is 32.5 and the average dex is 19.5.

Despite this, my general answer is the same, stick to the fire dragon scales, for all the reasons listed in above posts. If the fds is already +5, then really you're trading 3 AC for 3 EV in my theoretical first example, and lighter armors do have some more subtle benefits than AC/EV and casting. In my theoretical personal game I'd probably be lusting after storm dragon scales if not something rarer. There are some other armors I'd consider using under specific circumstances but no real need to rock the boat from what I do know of your character. The way player resistances work, I generally don't worry about it (on heavy armor characters) outside of Zot, Extended, Ice Caves, or Immolating the hell out of Slime Pits/Vaults:5. Diminishing returns and all that.

Player: r{f,c,elec,pois}-: 150%; r{f,elec,c}+: 50%; r{f,c}++: 33%; r{f,c}+++: 20%; rN+: 50%; rN++: 25%; rN+++: 0%; rCorr: 50%; rPois+: 33%

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think I'm playing this game wrong. I keep wanting to make hyper min-maxed gimmicks rather than trying to survive. I can't stop myself!

Incoming Minotaur monk of Chei with longswords for hyper headbutt/riposte action. Or should I do Dith? Does Dith shadow duplicate headbutts and ripostes?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Try vinestalker monk of dithmenos and report whether your anti magic bite is mimicked.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I finally ascended (first time ascending) with an ant man fightman of Okawaru :toot:

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/GenericOverusedName/morgue-GenericOverusedName-20170114-180238.txt

I did a lot of dumb things and got really lucky in a lot of places. Most lucky thing was buying an unidentified randart great sword in a shop and it turning out to be that crazy thing.

I still don't really know what all I'm doing with regards to which stats or when to stop training a skill or not. I just hit things a lot, mostly.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 17, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Congratulations, fellow ant fightman ascender!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Kaedric posted:

I think I'm playing this game wrong. I keep wanting to make hyper min-maxed gimmicks rather than trying to survive. I can't stop myself!

Incoming Minotaur monk of Chei with longswords for hyper headbutt/riposte action. Or should I do Dith? Does Dith shadow duplicate headbutts and ripostes?

Use LogicNinja's caster builds. They have an excellent success rate!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Note: What qualifies as a success might differ slightly from most people.

Why exactly are logicninja's ghosts so deadly? Whats his secret to harvesting pain a sorrow from fellow crawlers?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How much of a trap is the amulet of the air on a tanky sword/board FoFi? How bad is that inacc debuff, really?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

How much of a trap is the amulet of the air on a tanky sword/board FoFi? How bad is that inacc debuff, really?

I asked about this a bit ago and the answer I got was along the lines of "if you can still hit a black mamba fairly consistently you're okay"

In other news I lost my second back-to-back tanky antman in the Crypt again. Taken apart by a lovely double team of a curse-toe and skull (with a profaned servitor cheering them on). I would now escalate Crypt to Pretty Tough in my book, not sure what happened recently when I wasn't looking. Also gently caress torment

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Crypt as ant is rough because you can't dig yourself a murder-hole like you normally could. Same with Vaults. You're stuck suffering the marks and torment of the various nasty hexers that live in those areas.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

Note: What qualifies as a success might differ slightly from most people.

Why exactly are logicninja's ghosts so deadly? Whats his secret to harvesting pain a sorrow from fellow crawlers?

Step 1: Get Firestorm or another high level blaster spell castable before your first Lair rune
Step 2: Get lucky and find some good resists and good AC/EV
Step 3: Somehow manage to die anyway

Bonus points if you also have a draining/distortion weapon and fast movement.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Floodkiller posted:

Step 1: Get Firestorm or another high level blaster spell castable before your first Lair rune
Step 2: Get lucky and find some good resists and good AC/EV
Step 3: Somehow manage to die anyway

Bonus points if you also have a draining/distortion weapon and fast movement.

That's the most baffling part. I suppose they're just over specialized to get a spell school that high that early? Usually by the time I get a level 9 I'm unstoppable short of a zig. My casters either die early or trounce the game, while my melee dudes limp to midgame and die, and my stabbers just die immediately.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That's the most baffling part. I suppose they're just over specialized to get a spell school that high that early? Usually by the time I get a level 9 I'm unstoppable short of a zig. My casters either die early or trounce the game, while my melee dudes limp to midgame and die, and my stabbers just die immediately.
Having specced LN, the answer is that he plays at 8 million miles an hour, which isn't very conductive to careful play. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Don't his ghosts turn up in really weird places, like mid lair?

Pity the guy that's died 11 times to logicninja ghosts.

• Locked thread