Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Did they ever fix Condotierri? I want trade leagues but don't want to buy Mare Nostrum and have to deal with enemies buying their way to being unconquerable and I saw some videos showing them being absolute annoyances.

I think Mare Nostrum is the only big one I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Two questions!

1) Playing through my Netherlands game and got past the rough parts, save for forgetting that becoming the Netherlands loses you your HRE status and subsequently losing the opportunity to conquer the 2 remaining Dutch minors without starting a massive war.

Anyway, I've mostly stuck to my "colonize only key trade provinces" rule, except for provinces that I intend to use as a staging ground for invasions. I realize, however, that doing this leaves the rest of the uncolonized land up for grabs by other nations, as well as limiting space for shipyards and more light ships to assert trade power with. Will I remain competitive or even be able to dominate African and Asian trade thanks to trade power flowing upstream from a strong homeland, or should I at least take all the islands (for easy defense and clean borders) in the east for more naval force limit?

2) Is there no way to reconquer a Trade City? In my Lubeck game, I want to vassalize Pomerania to completely lock down the Lubeck and Baltic nodes since I have a free diplo slot, but on a whim I turned Stettin into a Trade City decades before I finally killed Denmark and was free to pursue conquests elsewhere. I can't declare war on them because they're in the league, and I can't kick them out of the league because they're a Trade City.

Are the only methods left hoping that they ally with someone I can declare war on, or that a neighbor tries to conquer them so I can refuse the call and let them die?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chump Farts posted:

Did they ever fix Condotierri? I want trade leagues but don't want to buy Mare Nostrum and have to deal with enemies buying their way to being unconquerable and I saw some videos showing them being absolute annoyances.

I think Mare Nostrum is the only big one I'm missing.

gently caress trade leagues. They make northern italy hell, at game start where even 5k more troops can gently caress you over Genoa and Venice are basically untouchable. I get where that's coming from (not letting big powers immediately gobble up trading centers with almost no risk), and past early game they really don't matter much anymore, but they made 0 effort to balance out neighbors so that they don't have to twiddle their thumbs waiting for favors with big powers to sloooowly tick up right at game start when the game is frankly already quite boring.

It seems to me that the game has been tweaked towards either being super-good at it, or playing a big power.

I am so loving bitter :salt:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 14, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is up with Burgundy AI in this game? It seems like they're always charging head on into stupid wars they can't possible win.

Like, worse than any other AI.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they start with one of the largest armies after factoring in their pus. the real killer is they get a mission to take leige, which calls in austria usually

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is there any way to declare war on one member of the HRE without having to fight the whole thing?

Edit: or, rather, Austria?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

algebra testes posted:

What is up with Burgundy AI in this game? It seems like they're always charging head on into stupid wars they can't possible win.

Like, worse than any other AI.

In addition to what oddium wrote, if you have Rights of Man then Charles the Bold has a personality trait (Bold Fighter :v:) that causes him to underestimate the enemy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there any way to declare war on one member of the HRE without having to fight the whole thing?

Yeah, a couple.

1. Be in the HRE
or
2. Have Austria be entangled in another war and super exhausted and in debt

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

Declare war on a non-HRE ally and drag them in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OperaMouse posted:

This is my favored approach and I don't think that there's really a better alternative, except for those rare opportunities when Austria is exhausted. Long-term I just assume that Austria is going to be involved and try to plan around that if my target only has HRE allies

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Condotierri are cool because they let me continue to wage war against my rivals even though I'm truced with them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Condotierri are cool because they let me continue to wage war against my rivals even though I'm truced with them.

I like when I declare war on someone and all their enemies offer me condotierri for free.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's usually the opposite for me. :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've never rented out condotierri. Do you need to keep your army maintenance up? Does it use your manpower?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

I've never rented out condotierri. Do you need to keep your army maintenance up? Does it use your manpower?

It uses your manpower, you control them. You actually need to do something with them or they get pissed at you. I can't recall if you can do it with lowered maintenance...I think it might not let you, but not sure on that one.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Node posted:

It turns up maintenance for the army you lease out, but the rest of your army can stay on low maintenance. It uses your manpower, but the best way to do it is lease out an army of mercs for more than you're paying for them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Senor Dog posted:

It turns up maintenance for the army you lease out, but the rest of your army can stay on low maintenance. It uses your manpower, but the best way to do it is lease out an army of mercs for more than you're paying for them.

I'm starting to see it now. Paradox added this feature for people that want to play war but can't for whatever reason with their nation. Or if you wanted to influence the outcome of a war but couldn't join it directly. That's pretty clever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

I'm starting to see it now. Paradox added this feature for people that want to play war but can't for whatever reason with their nation. Or if you wanted to influence the outcome of a war but couldn't join it directly. That's pretty clever.

Yeah it's a really good feature. Countries pay more depending on the quality of the troops, too, which I think includes the general that you have attached to an army, so having high army tradition and high miltech effectively gives you more income

Condottieri also generate 50% more prestige and army tradition than normal

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It's a fairly accurate historical addition too, more so than just hiring individual merc units

I just wish there was an auto construct condoteri army button rather than a trial an error session on the slider

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

OperaMouse posted:

Of course, the AE for taking HRE land from a non-belligerent...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This game gets better the more I play and I've played 250 hours.

I was Brandenburg and had a crazy wild ride where I didn't form Prussia, the TO did. It was looking bad when Poland tried to take out TO, Bohemia jumped in and fed off Poland. And then TO declared on me, but the rest of the empire came in and dogpiled Bohemia and I peaced them out giving up some land, and then all alone I annihilated TO/Prussia. And finally I was a big boy.

But then my hubris got the best of me, I got owned by taking out all of Pomerania in one go, getting coalitioned and then that was the end for me practically speaking.

30 Years War resulted in the Palatinate being the defacto emperor because everyone hated Bohemia and Austria didn't flip protestant so they were excluded after losing the war. Also every time that I was set to be the emperor my Ruler would die like a year before the emperor leaving a 5 year old child in charge ruling me out.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hi there Europe :getin:

Bohemia is a great start for forming Prussia, you can get the Habsburg dynasty and enforce early PUs on Hungary and Austria, force the Burgundian Inheritance to fire. You also start with a gold mine which makes early game economy a lot easier. From there it's simple to culture switch to Saxon and form Prussia.

In this screen I also have Denmark PU'd by random luck and have my dynasty on the throne of Spain-Portugal (Spain PU'd them). I'm thinking of breaking my alliance with Spain and waiting for an opportunity to claim their throne and enforce a PU, I'd get both Spain and Portugal in one war that way.

Not sure what all achievements I should go for now. I have Administrative, Quantity, and Influence ideas right now so I'm well set up for conquesting.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 15, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I should probably post it here too. I've updated the EU4 to Vic2 converter again to fix errors in the last version.

Paradox Forums: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-thread.973026/
Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...s/?id=392447667

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Hi there Europe :getin:

Bohemia is a great start for forming Prussia, you can get the Habsburg dynasty and enforce early PUs on Hungary and Austria, force the Burgundian Inheritance to fire. You also start with a gold mine which makes early game economy a lot easier. From there it's simple to culture switch to Saxon and form Prussia.

In this screen I also have Denmark PU'd by random luck and have my dynasty on the throne of Spain-Portugal (Spain PU'd them). I'm thinking of breaking my alliance with Spain and waiting for an opportunity to claim their throne and enforce a PU, I'd get both Spain and Portugal in one war that way.

Not sure what all achievements I should go for now. I have Administrative, Quantity, and Influence ideas right now so I'm well set up for conquesting.

I'm in the same boat in my Spain game. About the same size as you, about the same year, have the same dynasty as France so waiting for a chance to PU him, just broke Byzantium free of the Ottomans but now I have no clue what I should do next or what to aim for. Maybe I'll eat all or most of Africa then head into India and eat all of that. If I have time after, I can go for Japan too.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finally managed to get a good start as Naples! Got Austria and Castile to support my independence, literally crushed Aragon and their allies getting money and war reparations from France, the Pope, Aragon + independence + all my cores in Sicily + the southern part of Sardinia. Plus my ruler is greedy so All that's thine shall be mine, indeed :D

Right after that I jumped on an isolated, ally-less Serbia just after they nabbed Dalmatia and Ragusa from Venice, and I stole them plus Zeta and that sweet, sweet gold mine in Kosovo. This made the Ottos put their sights on me, but I somehow managed to get RM and alliances with Castile, France, Austria and Hungary (whose independence is guaranteed by the Ottomans? :stare: it's not like they need it, they're still huge) so I'm safe... for now. Once one of those goes to war with one of the others there'll be some hard choices to make, but for now I feel safe from the big greenish blob and can utterly crush anybody I want as soon as I have 10 favors.

It's 1473 and this is the state of things:

(Milan managed to do what I never managed to do in over 10 restarts, that is to actually expand and ate up Switzerland. I think Venice is hosed, without the adriatic coastline and with a big Milan nearby. I'll have to grab their poo poo sooner rather than later)

Next on the list is the drat Pope, he hates me due to border friction and me having the Statute in Restraint of Appeals (I figured since the Pope would hate me anyways might as well get some extra bonuses, that -1 revolt risk and the -10% stability cost can be huge at the beginning). I have claims on Ancona and Umbria, and they're allied to just Ferrara and Lucca :getin:

Then the Reformation fires I plan to switch to Protestant and get a CoR for the bonuses and achievement, my position means that I'm far enough from major powers to avoid the "neighboring heretic religion" so I should be able to keep at least 1 or 2 big names allied. Do you guys think it's too risky a move? The pope loving hates me anyways and that won't change anytime soon since I need literally all his land, so I have permanent 0 papal influence anyways, the only downside would be harder diplomacy.

Also as with every one of my games, I struggle to make enough money to maintain my army and poo poo. Right now I have very little trade power in Venice, so I'm steering from Ragusa to Genoa, plus I have from game start a merchant to collect in Venice. Probably this is not ideal, how should I handle trade before I own all of Italy? This is the trade view:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 15, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh gently caress me, my Ironman autosave got corrupted (never seen it happen before) and it told me to delete the backup and original file so I did. Then the game started getting weird after half an hour or so (occupied territories weren't showing as occupied on the map etc) so I figured hey I'll just exit the game, let it save and then play again. Nope, there's no save anymore it's all gone forever.

Argh, so frustrating cause I finally got a good run at Taberestan -> Persia. I had to break QQ first and watch Persia spring forth from the Timurids with all its cores intact and then beat it down into nothingness over half a century with the combined forces of Iraq, myself and Baluchistan before I could eliminate it and then become Persia myself. I had Austria and a Commonwealth that was so big it was leaking into Germany on my side and I was just waiting for Ottoman strength to peak before making my move. This Is Persia is going to be my white whale forever.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TorakFade posted:

utterly crush anybody I want as soon as I have 10 favors.

I'd consider doing this to the Ottos if you can get all your allies on board. Crush them now before they get bigger.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah it's a really good feature. Countries pay more depending on the quality of the troops, too, which I think includes the general that you have attached to an army, so having high army tradition and high miltech effectively gives you more income

Condottieri also generate 50% more prestige and army tradition than normal

Its sound great, too bad it's not working for me,

Nobody wants my condottieri no matter what, even neighbor countries, not even for free. It seems to be working for other people so it must be something wrong with me

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its sound great, too bad it's not working for me,

Nobody wants my condottieri no matter what, even neighbor countries, not even for free. It seems to be working for other people so it must be something wrong with me

If you're getting the popup saying countries are interested, then go to offer it to them and mouse over the no. If it says "Has no land access to capital" then:

Allyn posted:

The reason nations probably don't want your condottieri is because you don't have land access to their capital. If you get enough military access treaties going until you can then they'll show you what they're actually willing to pay.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Allyn posted:

If you're getting the popup saying countries are interested, then go to offer it to them and mouse over the no. If it says "Has no land access to capital" then:

Is not that. Even neighbor nations supposedly wanting will not accept. The reasons listed on the tooltip are always the same, maintenance and whatever (I will take an screenshot later)

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Sweden keeps being a pain in my rear end.

Why don't you ally Russia and GB as well, you blue bastards...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd consider doing this to the Ottos if you can get all your allies on board. Crush them now before they get bigger.

Too late for that, they're allied to muscovy. We will have to fight them later. Now it's time to steal poo poo from hungary and ally france since castile broke the alliance and I need another big guy by my side. Also turned protestant, it's been significantly easier and painless than I thought.

After this war and catching up to colonialism I think I will get not just pizza finally!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eej posted:

Oh gently caress me, my Ironman autosave got corrupted (never seen it happen before) and it told me to delete the backup and original file so I did. Then the game started getting weird after half an hour or so (occupied territories weren't showing as occupied on the map etc) so I figured hey I'll just exit the game, let it save and then play again. Nope, there's no save anymore it's all gone forever.

Argh, so frustrating cause I finally got a good run at Taberestan -> Persia. I had to break QQ first and watch Persia spring forth from the Timurids with all its cores intact and then beat it down into nothingness over half a century with the combined forces of Iraq, myself and Baluchistan before I could eliminate it and then become Persia myself. I had Austria and a Commonwealth that was so big it was leaking into Germany on my side and I was just waiting for Ottoman strength to peak before making my move. This Is Persia is going to be my white whale forever.

The deleted backup will be in your recycle bin. I know because this happened to me too.

I've gotten it multiple times since, and it appears to me the fix is to just rename the backup, save the game, and make sure the save is bigger than 0 kb. If it isn't, then delete the original save and rename the backup (make a copy first!) to whatever the original was called and try again.

feller fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've had that as well, but it has sufficed to just exit the game instantly, delete the original save and start up again on the back up. Or is that a different save bug?

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

sckye posted:

Sweden keeps being a pain in my rear end.

Why don't you ally Russia and GB as well, you blue bastards...

Unfortunately for them, they also allied Norway, with predictable results.

Too bad I'm a moron and forgot to forge a claim first, but oh well.

Also, Austria was useless. After looking nastily at Baden for a few months, who, along with Wurzburg, had the misfortune of allying Norway, they stayed in Loon and Friesland during the rest of the war, then, after I whipped the swedes some with the help of actually-really-useful-bff Brandenburg, they came to have a look at Skane briefly, then promptly hosed off back to those two provinces. 3% contribution. Thanks, buddy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coastal raids are really loving obnoxious and tedious when you're on the receiving end, and boring and tedious when you're the one doing them. Paradox just needs to get rid of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Coastal raids are really loving obnoxious and tedious when you're on the receiving end, and boring and tedious when you're the one doing them. Paradox just needs to get rid of it.

I like scooping up my hundreds of ducats raiding. Scoop, scoop, scoop.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Playing as Iroquois with Conquest of Paradise. I've finished all the tribal ideas and the palefaces still aren't here. Should I be trying to tech up in spite of the huge penalties, or should I save my Monarch points and increase development when I max out?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Senor Dog posted:

The deleted backup will be in your recycle bin. I know because this happened to me too.

I've gotten it multiple times since, and it appears to me the fix is to just rename the backup, save the game, and make sure the save is bigger than 0 kb. If it isn't, then delete the original save and rename the backup (make a copy first!) to whatever the original was called and try again.

I shift+delete everything because I am bad at recycle bin and it always bites me in the rear end.

Anyhoo I started a new game as QQ got a more reliable way of forming Persia. It's actually my first serious Horde game and I forgot how fun it was to rampage around owning everything in sight. Horde Unity sucks when you end up pressed up against the Ottomans and Timurids though. No one's happy when all that's left to loot is a bunch of 3 development shitholes in the Arabian Peninsula.

Of course when I hit the reform and form Persia button the Ottomans war dec me within a year but I manage to peace out with like 570 ducats for 10% warscore thanks to my buddy Poland doing work. Thanks to hostile Ottomans and boosting Horde Unity at a painful 100 military points a pop I've gotten like no institutions and it's 1520 or something and I had to fight the Ottomans at Miltech 11 with my horsemens at 7. Would not try that again. Also, I stuck with Horde ideas instead of the Persian ones, that locks me out of the Persian events right?

Anyway Hordes are still fun. Are there any cool starts to goof around in? I feel like I should try AQ next time and swallow up the Anatolian Beyliks and paint the world their cool shade of dark blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsyni posted:

I like scooping up my hundreds of ducats raiding. Scoop, scoop, scoop.

I don't like having to beat the other AI raiders to it every 10 years exactly.

• Locked thread