Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Baloogan posted:

i still want gladiator fights of death row guys with training and weapons etc

ah i see you are unfamiliar w/ the louisiana angola prison rodeo

in one of the events the convicts are sat at a table holding cards and bulls are released. the winner is the person to remain sitting the longest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This but with juvenile hall instead of death row.

Death Row needs a minor league.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in one of the events the convicts are sat at a table holding cards and bulls are released. the winner is the person to remain sitting the longest

hey that episode of Lockup was just on over the weekend

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which is an argument against locking people up for ridiculous amounts of times for weed crime

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

syscall girl posted:

which is an argument against locking people up for ridiculous amounts of times for weed crime

i agree, they should only be held at maximum for 8 seconds

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
peeps spraying weed with like, stuff, to make it into grit weed imo there should be laws against that

also setting short, definitely laws

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
execute dirt weed merchants IMO no excuse for that poo poo in 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the weed is so good in vancouver i dont even have to smoke it i just need to stand near friends smoking it to get high

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good News!
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/817156726319255553

Also:
Pinellas legal officials roiled by false documents from antigovernment sovereign citizens

quote:

...In Pinellas County alone, at least three lawsuits have been filed in the past five months.

In July, Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Thomas Minkoff, who was presiding over a foreclosure, sued the homeowner in that case after she filed a "criminal complaint" that alleged Minkoff violated several constitutional laws and had to pay $2.4 million in fines.

The homeowner, Leslie Armstrong, was later arrested on felony charges of criminal use "under color of law" and "through simulated legal process." Armstrong, 59, told an officer she filed the documents because "Minkoff had really stuck it to us," according to court records. She and her attorney could not be reached for comment.

In October, Edward Oberwise, a sexual offender sentenced to 20 years in prison, was sued after he filed a "security claim" against 11 current and former appellate judges, Hillsborough Circuit Judge Chet Tharpe, and an appeals court clerk who died last year. The claims stated they each owed Oberwise $514,000. Tharpe presided over Oberwise's criminal case. Oberwise, 46, was convicted of lewd and lascivious battery in 2009.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Just to provide context, that is a very common stunt the rodeo clowns do at ALL rodeo's. Now you can argue that the convicts are coerced into participating, but as far as the actual rodeo events go, that isn't outrageous.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just to provide context, that is a very common stunt the rodeo clowns do at ALL rodeo's. Now you can argue that the convicts are coerced into participating, but as far as the actual rodeo events go, that isn't outrageous.

from what was said in the segment on it on Lockup, the convicts actually look forward to it because it lets them get out and have a semblance of normality for the day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

from what was said in the segment on it on Lockup, the convicts actually look forward to it because it lets them get out and have a semblance of normality for the day

Which just makes things more hosed up tbh.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

Which just makes things more hosed up tbh.

Angola is a really bad prison

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yeah. The best dehumanizing stuff is the hand picking of cotton.

I mean I like to be racist and stuff but that's crossing a line.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

VikingSkull posted:

Angola is a really bad prison

That's an understatement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Uh oh:

Prosecutors want California man to remove blog posts on FBI informants in refuge occupation case

quote:

Prosecutors on Friday asked a judge to order Gary Hunt to immediately remove all material about the confidential sources from his website and prevent him from continuing to share the sensitive information.

The presence of nine informants on the eastern Oregon refuge during the 41-day occupation last winter as well as six other informants who worked on the case for the FBI was revealed during testimony during the first trial of occupation leaders.

Hunt, according to prosecutors, apparently got hold of the FBI reports on the informants that prosecutors gave to defense attorneys as part of their sharing of discovery evidence before trial. The court ordered the reports not be shared with others. Occupation leader Ammon Bundy and six others were acquitted of conspiracy and other charges after a five-week trial that ended Oct. 27.

"Public dissemination of the material produced under this Court's Protective Order could threaten ongoing investigations and the safety of government confidential human sources, informants or others," wrote Assistant U.S. Attorney Pamala Holsinger.

Hunt, 70, was a member of the advisory board for Operation Mutual Defense, a network of militias and supporters founded by Ryan Payne, one of the refuge occupation's organizers. The board was involved in early talks on how to help Harney County ranchers Dwight Hammond Jr. and son Steven Hammond, who were scheduled to return to federal prison on Jan. 4, 2016, for setting fire to public land. Bundy frequently cited protest over the Hammonds' treatment by the federal government as one of the reasons for seizing the refuge on Jan 2.

Hunt quotes from FBI reports on the agency's 15 informants during the occupation. The 130 reports, spanning 246 pages, were subject to a protective order, and each page contains the printed words, "Dissemination limited by court order,'' FBI agent Ronnie Walker wrote in an affidavit attached to the prosecutors' court filing.

The names of the confidential sources in the FBI reports shared with defense lawyers were redacted.

In one blog post, Hunt surmised that a fellow member of the Operation Mutual Defense's advisory board was an informant who provided the FBI details from the board meetings and access to the board's electronic folders containing various documents, Walker wrote in the affidavit.

Hunt said he has written about the informants because he believes that "every defendant has a right to meet his accusers'' to prepare their defense. He expects his blog posts might help the second round of defendants charged in the refuge takeover, who are set to go to trial on Feb. 14.

"If the government can get into my records, email and drop box accounts, why can't we look at their records?'' he said.

Hunt has not posted on his blog the FBI records, but has quoted excerpts from them.

In another blog post called, "Informants, What To Do About Them?'' Hunt wrote, "The matter of informants, and the government's efforts to protect the names of those who have snuck into our midst is a denial of justice and to some degree, the Sixth Amendment right "to be confronted with the witnesses against him."

Walker argued in the affidavit that the identification of informants could put them at risk, noting that some defendants and other people associated with the refuge occupation "have advocated for violence against federal employees, law enforcement, and and/or informants."

Walker cited comments from an unidentified person caught on a video found on defendant Jason Patrick's cellphone. They came during a group meeting at the refuge after Ammon Bundy's arrest. The person said to the group, " (Let's) regroup, get in, go find out who works for the Feds and start executing them. Execute them, their families, everyone. ... Make it a statement. If you work for those crooked (expletive) you're going to die."

and punchline:

quote:

One positive development that may come of this, Hunt said, is that his personal standoff with the FBI may put to rest some speculation that Hunt was an informant for the feds.

As always, read the full article for more details and important context.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hope they don't find out that John Kilman is actually Fabio Minoggio

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's going to be funny, in a really sick sort of way, to watch the militia activity fall off now that the kind of authoritarianism they approve of is ruling the country. Especially after years of them insisting that it's not because of the black president.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

It's going to be funny, in a really sick sort of way, to watch the militia activity fall off now that the kind of authoritarianism they approve of is ruling the country. Especially after years of them insisting that it's not because of the black president.

I had a friend who subscribed to "we survived Bush, you'll survive Obama" on fb

Now I'm feeling like what if I drop dead during the Trump years :ohdear:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh oh:

Prosecutors want California man to remove blog posts on FBI informants in refuge occupation case

and punchline:

Wow, that's so weird, some yahoo posting the informants' names on his blog was exactly the reason the government didn't want to give the defense its list of informants during discovery. What a coincidence :monocle:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Casimir Radon posted:

Its not funny because it's not going to drop off. It's going to grow stronger, especially if/when Cliven walks because some lolbertarian/sovcit shitlord manages to make their way in to his jury.

red19fire posted:

Wow, that's so weird, some yahoo posting the informants' names on his blog was exactly the reason the government didn't want to give the defense its list of informants during discovery. What a coincidence :monocle:

And there's gently caress all they can do about it now. Unless they can get bloggers to be ruled as not-press and not afforded 1A protections, which would be terrifying especially given Trump's hate for the established media to say nothing of random bloggers who he might not like. Also his closeness with Bathory-cosplayer Peter Thiel.

Evil Fluffy has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Jan 10, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

red19fire posted:

Perhaps the government doesn't need infiltrators in gatherings of the citizenry?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Perhaps the government doesn't need infiltrators in gatherings of the citizenry?

they do though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX5C2KGURcE

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh oh:

and punchline:

The article has been updated; apparently the judge agrees that Hunt is not covered under the court's protective order - which only blocked the defense from sharing the report, not random third parties who mysteriously got the report somehow. Also, since Hunt doesn't live in Oregon, the court doesn't have jurisdiction over him anyway:

quote:

Mon., Jan. 9: The judge has asked federal prosecutors to explain to her in writing by noon on Tues., Jan. 10, how the court has authority over the actions of a third party, in this case Hunt, under the terms of the court's protective order, without advance notice to the third party and without an opportunity for that person to be heard. 

Brown also asked prosecutors to explain how she could compel someone outside the District of Oregon to respond to the government's motion. Further, she asked if prosecutors wish to amend the existing protective order to address these matters.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Young Freud posted:

TBH, Roof isn't going to state pen gen pop. He'll probably end up in a Supermax prison, where he'll have no physical contact with a human being for the rest of his life.

...which will only be 5-10 years since he becomes the first person to get sentenced to die for federal hate crimes.

Unless Trump pardons him, the possibility of which I can't eliminate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OAquinas posted:

...which will only be 5-10 years since he becomes the first person to get sentenced to die for federal hate crimes.

Unless Trump pardons him, the possibility of which I can't eliminate.

Nah, he's a loser on all counts, because he attacked a christian church. These were people with jobs, who paid taxes, and were praying to the correct god at the time they were killed. At the time the story broke some of my (white) fundie relatives were sharing the story as an attack on christianity, :proof: that christians are the ones who are really oppressed.

He didn't shoot feral urban youth, gang bangers, welfare queens, porch monkeys, drug dealers, crack heads, etc., he shot some of the "good ones". People who were doing exactly what white america thinks black america ought to do. So the "I'm not racist but" crowd doesn't support him.

The more overt racists and white nationalists may believe the only good n-word is a dead n-word. But I bet even a lot of them think it was a pussy move to kill people praying in a church when there are so many more worthwhile targets. And he's such a scrawny little poo poo with a bowl cut, not exactly a paragon of the white race. Maybe he will get swole in prison, shave his head and get some white power tattoos to improve his image with that crowd, but right now he's just now folk hero material.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/818984934756843520

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Picasso of machine guns.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Judge gives California man 24 hours to remove online posts about FBI informants in refuge case

quote:

...While the judge acknowledged that the protective order she issued in March for the 246 pages of FBI reports on informants does not specifically say that it applies to people who are not party to the federal conspiracy case against refuge occupiers or their defense teams, she said it's well-established in case law that the court may prohibit a third party from violating a court order when he or she actively "aids or abets'' in the violation of the order.

Since the reports that prosecutors shared with the defendants and their lawyers did not identify the informants, yet Hunt has identified a handful by name based on his review of the documents, the judge concluded that Hunt has "aided and abetted the dissemination of materials covered by the Protective Order.''

Hunt was visited by an FBI agent on Jan. 5 and handed a "cease and desist order'' from a federal prosecutor to remove the posts on the informants and turn back the documents to the government. After that visit, Hunt said he did not believe the protective order applied to him because he's not a defendant nor a member of the defense team.

On Wednesday, Hunt, who described himself as a journalist, said he received a call again from an FBI agent who wanted to meet him at a local restaurant to serve him with the judge's order. Hunt said he wouldn't even know how to remove the posts that he already placed online, if he decided to do so. He said he'll be consulting with lawyers.

"They insist I have the right to be heard, and they don't give me a right to be heard,'' he said.

And, he wrote in his latest online article, "For the record, I have never spoken with any of the defense attorneys or investigators in this case. The closest I have come to that is speaking with some of the defendants. However, I have heard that the defense attorneys do like my work, and some even look forward to my next article.''

The judge noted that she ruled previously that the government wasn't obligated to share the identities of the informants with the defendants. "Thus, the information in Hunt's postings should not be publicly available,'' Brown wrote.

Brown also issued additional language in the protective order to make sure there's no further questions about whether people who are not parties to the refuge case are covered by it.

On how the reports and the identities of the informants were spread:
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/819614713063489536

Also:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/819622355404132352

Love is apparently a BLM special agent who runs BLM enforcement for a couple states, and who was (if I am googling correctly) one of the people in charge onsite during the first Bundy standoff. Love apparently led a crackdown on things like illegal artifact trade in the states he's responsible for, as well as oversaw the first Bundy standoff- he's a locus of conspiracy theories and apparently now has to have a protective detail.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That judge has to realize they can't do poo poo (and have it stick if the person fights it) if/when Hunt ignores them, right?

It's pretty firmly established that the media is under zero obligation to not post classified or sealed information regardless of how they got it (assuming the report themselves didn't directly break the law to obtain said info).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

That judge has to realize they can't do poo poo (and have it stick if the person fights it) if/when Hunt ignores them, right?

It's pretty firmly established that the media is under zero obligation to not post classified or sealed information regardless of how they got it (assuming the report themselves didn't directly break the law to obtain said info).

That appears not to be the case.

also,

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/819653306813292545

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Also:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/819622355404132352

Love is apparently a BLM special agent who runs BLM enforcement for a couple states, and who was (if I am googling correctly) one of the people in charge onsite during the first Bundy standoff. Love apparently led a crackdown on things like illegal artifact trade in the states he's responsible for, as well as oversaw the first Bundy standoff- he's a locus of conspiracy theories and apparently now has to have a protective detail.

Sounds like bullshit to me. "The investigator was really surprised to hear that I didn't hesitate even a little to testify against someone I've publicly hated and demonized for seven straight years" is a pretty common theme in "shit_that_didn't_happen.txt.doc.exe".

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

"the investigator was really good at playing my emotions"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yes, it's bullshit- not trying to suggest otherwise. It's intended as an example of the kind of stdh.txt belief that spreads among the sagebrush rebellion groups. Love apparently attracted a lot of these for ending cooperation agreements with sovcit sheriffs in the region.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jury In 2nd Oregon Standoff Trial Will Remain Anonymous

quote:

U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown said Friday she will keep the identities of jurors anonymous for the second Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation trial.

In her order, Brown said her experience with the first trial and others throughout her career guided her decision.

“Based on 25 years of experience as a trial judge, this Court finds if jurors’ names and personally-identifiable information are publicly disclosed, there is an unacceptable, continuous, and significant risk that jurors will be contacted,” Brown wrote.

She said that such contact has the potential to compromise the jurors’ ability to make a decision on the case without being subjected to “external information and influences.” A number of supporters of Ammon Bundy and other occupiers spent many days outside the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse in Portland during the first trial. They carried signs and at times chanted at the building, encouraging jurors to acquit the occupiers through jury nullification.

Brown also noted at times the court has received messages “threatening presiding judicial officers and those involved in the court process.” Under the judge’s order, jurors will not use the main entrance of the courthouse when coming or going, and will be partially sequestered throughout the trial. Court officials have already mailed the first of approximately 1,000 jury summonses. Brown has asked counsel on both sides of the case to review returned records and let her know which jurors will be excused for cause no later than Feb. 3.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/820070667353632768

I hope folks haven't been scared away from the thread by the tide of shitposting and derails. Things are starting to kick off as filings begin for the new trial.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/820070667353632768

I hope folks haven't been scared away from the thread by the tide of shitposting and derails. Things are starting to kick off as filings begin for the new trial.

I have hope again

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I have hope again

Don't. The hopefully evitable loss will just be that much worse if it happens.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nonsense posted:

I have hope again

hope is a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Somewhat related, I know Oathkeepers are nutty but I didn't realize how severe

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/820785016586125312

quote:

According to multiple sources that have reached out to me — including an individual who has infiltrated left-wing “revolutionary” groups in California — the radical left has convinced itself it has a significant chance of pulling off some variation of an uprising / occupy / revolution / coup operation on Inauguration Day (January 20).

It’s supposed to start as “protests,” then morph into “riots,” then crescendo in a kind of “mad rush” to occupy federal buildings and then somehow declare some left-wing commie nut job to be the “legitimate” President of the United States. Another source told me during a recent interview that some elements of the radical left are even planning on setting off bombs to maximize chaos, occupy emergency responders and even send some federal officers home in body bags. (Weather Underground style, get it?)

Mentally ill leftists — a term that now seems increasingly redundant — are even fantasizing over an Inauguration Day “purge” inspired by the low-budget Hollywood film The Purge. The film proposes that for one day a year, every act is legal and can be carried out without consequence, including murder, rape, looting, arson and assault. A recent installment of the film series called The Purge: Election Day is serving as a template for violent leftards who are so detached from reality, they actually believe January 20 is a “Purge” day where a person can commit any violence they want.
The article is a repost from Natural News (what strange bedfellows). Imagine, leftists occupying federal buildings!