Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

if you aren't hand holding your field camera, perhaps you aren't ready for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I never tried the wood handle on my p67 because it's a big SLR why wouldn't you just hold it like a reg SLR and use your left hand as support? Nope better grab this idiot handle and make my expensive negative machine less stable. Also shutter priority is stupid.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The wood handle is useful for carrying the camera when you aren't using it. For me, it gets in the way when I am using it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just get a GW690, it's got two exposure buttons, on the front and one on the winder, and takes no batteries

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It also lets you shoot short rolls of 120

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
still working through the whopping whole six rolls of film I shot last September

still have a roll of 35mm I forgot to develop, lol

e: wrt all the camera talk;

Spedman posted:

Just get a GW690

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 7, 2017

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you can't look at a scene and have some conceptual idea of what aperture you might like to shoot that scene at, maybe you aren't ready to shoot medium format yet. Full disclosure: it's a buck a frame, developed cost.

Also, if a half stop either way on the aperture would kill your ~creative control~, and you are unable to adapt to this with your technical expertise on how to work a camera: you need a shutter priority camera, and also to not be shooting medium format yet.

The P67 is not any more complex than a K1000. That's the 35mm comparison: it's a big K1000 that shoots 6x7 negatives, and that's a camera that literally every photo student has shot for the last 40 years. But not everyone is cracked up to shoot a K1000, even as simple as that is. Some people need program modes to do everything for them. But you're not going to fool anyone in this thread by pretending a K1000 is some complex monster. It's got a meter built in, that makes it easier than 95% of the medium format cameras on the market.

(double extra pro-tip: learn sunny-16 and you can predict the exposures you're going to take even without picking up a meter, and then you have a free second to tweak the shutter speed dial, because it's literally just "that's a shady area under a tree", "that's a beach", etc)

Again, I don't want to encourage anyone to not do medium format, it's easy, literally as easy as 35mm, that's the point here. Go ahead and buy The Big K1000 (tm), or a TLR, or whatever. "It's Easy Enough Your Conservative Dad Figured It Out 50 Years Ago". And he didn't even have the Internet to help.

You come across as a massive oval office to be honest.

pro tip: post some photos before you start being condescending to others

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Gotta love CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8
I think I prefer Portra 400 to 160 though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Cheers for the comments a few pages back re: motivation. Didn't want to clog up thread. Made it my new years resolution to really nail this process.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 15, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Those are some awesomely sick treescapes!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Us in a motel room

Times Square

Midtown NYC

Unsure if these were shot correctly. Worried my MF Credentials will be revoked and my cameras repossessed. All I can do is wait I guess.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 20, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Us in a motel room by spike mccue, on Flickr

Times Square by spike mccue, on Flickr

Midtown NYC by spike mccue, on Flickr

Unsure if these were shot correctly. Worried my MF Credentials will be revoked and my cameras repossessed. All I can do is wait I guess.

lol at the "120mm" tag

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

lol at the "120mm" tag

Yeah I've been experimenting with tagging photos to get more views but obviously I don't put a ton of effort into it and it doesn't really work on Flickr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah I've been experimenting with tagging photos to get more views but obviously I don't put a ton of effort into it and it doesn't really work on Flickr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No he means because it's not called 120mm, to format is called just 120

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

No he means because it's not called 120mm, to format is called just 120

:downs:

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Has anyone here sanded down a 120 spool to fit into a 620 camera or rerolled? My father has a first gen Kodak Medalist that I have been dying to put some film through, but they havent made 620 since 85. And despite years in handling film, I have never re rolled any onto a different spool. Sanding/filing seems like it would be the easier process. I am aware I can buy prespooled film and that is a better choice for this job specifically. But I am looking for options for disaster recovery and if I fall in love with shooting the monster.

The reason being is that I have a possible job coming up that requires specific shots on film (some landscapes, some portraits, NDA and all). There is a professional digital photographer for the shoot, he was the one who got me involved, so I only have to focus on the couple dozen film shoots. My gear currently is a Mamiya C330 (55mm and 80mm lenses), a Mamiya C220 (backup), a Baby Pacemaker 23 (2x3 620 camera that spools from standard 120 roll with 47mm and 101mm), a Pacemaker Crown Graphic (4x5 with 125mm and 75mm), a Widelux 1500 (recently CLAed). So I do not need to take the Medalist but it is considered one of the best 6x9 cameras ever made.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
After some quick research, apparently even if you shave a 120 spool to fit, it's actually the narrow diameter of the 620 spool shaft that is most critical as it determines the frame spacing. So you might end up with a bunch of overlapped frames. Or frames that are spaced too far apart?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I've done this plenty of times with Brownie cameras. Just buy a couple 620 spools on eBay, and use a changing bag. It's super, super simple, honestly easier than loading a developing reel. Here's the guide I used.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

fastbilly1 posted:

Has anyone here sanded down a 120 spool to fit into a 620 camera or rerolled? My father has a first gen Kodak Medalist that I have been dying to put some film through, but they havent made 620 since 85. And despite years in handling film, I have never re rolled any onto a different spool. Sanding/filing seems like it would be the easier process. I am aware I can buy prespooled film and that is a better choice for this job specifically. But I am looking for options for disaster recovery and if I fall in love with shooting the monster.

This page says that the spool thickness matters, which makes sanding a dicey operation. You can use a 620 spool for takeup with a sanded-down 120 feed roll, though, and if you need one or two I think I have a couple I can give away. I think they wind up spaced too far apart and the last exposure goes off the roll.

Respooling is easy. Start by loading a 120 camera, and instead of shooting, just wind all the way to the end. Then flip the new spool back to the feeding side, and - do this part in a dark bag or darkroom - hand-start the 620 spool for take-up, making sure to pick up the untaped end of the film. Once you've done that and gotten one or two turns, you can put the 620 roll in the camera's take-up position, close it up, and wind it the rest of the way. Some 120 cameras won't accept 620, so in that case you can just use the feed position to provide tension while you finish spooling. It doesn't take long.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 16, 2017

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Yond Cassius posted:

Respooling is easy. Start by loading a 120 camera, and instead of shooting, just wind all the way to the end. Then flip the new spool back to the feeding side, and - do this part in a dark bag or darkroom - hand-start the 620 spool for take-up, making sure to pick up the untaped end of the film. Once you've done that and gotten one or two turns, you can put the 620 roll in the camera's take-up position, close it up, and wind it the rest of the way. Some 120 cameras won't accept 620, so in that case you can just use the feed position to provide tension while you finish spooling. It doesn't take long.

Genius, I never thought about winding it through a 120 camera all the way. Respooling it is. Thanks folks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Film for Classics also manufactures and sells pre-spooled 620 film so you can just purchase and load without any sanding or respooling necessary.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Film for Classics also manufactures and sells pre-spooled 620 film so you can just purchase and load without any sanding or respooling necessary.

I am aware, the issue I was foreseeing was being in rural nowhere and having something happen to the film. I can get 120 locally, though not cheaply, so having the ability to create new 620 film is the only way I can justify taking the camera with me for a job.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've sanded down a bunch for a kodak duaflex and it works fine

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

yawatahama to beppu by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

untitled by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The ferry image is nice, I dont know why but its really relaxing to look at.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I'm not convinced the left side of the image really adds much... but I love this anyway. It's like that plant is from the FUTURE.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Looking pretty pink/orange.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Can we talk gear for a second?

I've picked up some 4x5 film holders to start my irresponsible decent into large format photography and picked up this nifty little doodad along with.

a 6 shot 4x5 magazine! This thing is pretty robust.

I figure if I don't get myself a 4x5 camera by years end, I'll just sell it. Lord knows i have enough cameras as is.