Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Why would the Queen Mary be chilling, empty way the gently caress out there? The AI is dumb as hell.

68 points is more than a heavy cruiser, IIRC.

She could transport an entire division's worth of men at a time; her record, which I believe still stands, is 16,082 passengers (not including crew) across the Atlantic in one voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also took a battleship/carrier sized drydock.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

David Corbett posted:

She could transport an entire division's worth of men at a time; her record, which I believe still stands, is 16,082 passengers (not including crew) across the Atlantic in one voyage.

Also wasn't she really goddamn fast?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Held the record I believe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, she could comfortably run 30 knots, which is the same speed as a fast carrier group. A German Type VII would make 18 knots on the surface, an American Balao would make about 20 knots surfaced, and a Japanese Type B1 (picked because that's what the famous I-19 was) would make 23 knots.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

10 January 1943

Japanese destroyer Okikaze, torpedoed near Yokohama by US submarine Trigger.

goatface posted:

Held the record I believe.

Queen Mary held the Blue Riband from 1938 until 1952, losing it to United States.

OpenlyEvilJello fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Iron Ring continues to take its toll.

I hate the Stingray.

Good girls!

Two more? You spoil me!

This is more like it!

We begin to redress the balance.

I'm confident enough to swing the Kiddo Butai off to hunt the ships fleeing New Caledonia – these are both carrying fuel, and doomed.

This was less of a good idea.

We are causing panic though!

The B-17's come in.

Bolos? The bottom of the barrel is being firmly scraped!

This is a bad day for allied shipping. A good day for us though!

Another hit for the tally.

They just keep coming!

Its not just about New Caledonia though – the squad kills are firmly in our favour here.

We rout and advance once more.

Its nice to have some action after a period of quiet – and the air losses are swinging back into our direction now we have kept the pressure up for a few days.

These are just the confirmed ships, others will sink and be confirmed in the coming weeks.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

That was a rather suspicious bout of good fortune. i kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

That was a rather suspicious bout of good fortune.

Perhaps the censors have been busy...

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

I hate the Stingray.

Ghost of Steve Irwin nods sagely.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice series of kills. Think the Americans will sortie some of their heavy fleet elements or not to try and interfere?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

wedgekree posted:

Nice series of kills. Think the Americans will sortie some of their heavy fleet elements or not to try and interfere?

Considering the nuking their carriers and battleships have been taking recently I'd be surprised if they had anything heavy left to sortie with.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Theoretically the USN still has several Battleships active I think and at least one carrier. But yeah, thanks for the correction.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The interdiction continues.

Efate is turning into a ship graveyard.

Enemy plane numbers have dropped dramatically.

The B-17s are more of a threat to my planes than my ships.

They do get a hit in though with some Mitchells.

Squad kills are defiantly on our side now – time to keep pushing!

A quieter day – but we are still racking up the kills. I didn't bother showing the Vincent runs – they are just suicide.

Only one ship kill today.

The Carriers have pulled out to rearm and resupply, and the Allies start bombing our forces.

We take a hit, but the unloading is nearly complete.

To be honest, I've lost a lot less ships than I was expecting.

Not that the carriers are not still looking for kills.

Owch.

This is a one day miscalculation in how long it will take them to unload.

We bag a Liberator – at cost.

I don't think their hearts are in these attacks any more....

A quieter day, but now the troops are unloaded, I can march south to the real target! Thankfully – I don't think my ships could take many more days like this!

I'm sure a few more will sink.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 15, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Where is, repeat, where is January 12th? The world wonders.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I want to put in for USS Growler as my lucky ship.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

12 January 1943

US destroyer Worden, grounded and ultimately destroyed by severe weather at Amchitka.

Italian torpedo boat Ardente, foundered as a result of boiler explosion and fire following a collision with destroyer Grecale off Sicily. Two Italian forces crossed paths in heavy weather.

I'll refrain from posting the 13th for now.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

...Italian torpedo boat Ardente, foundered as a result of boiler explosion and fire following a collision with destroyer Grecale off Sicily. Two Italian forces crossed paths in heavy weather...

Is there, on record, a mention of two Italian TFs or convoys passing near each other and not losing a ship? I'd be surprised at this rate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Mediterranean is much smaller than you think.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Italy has got to stop using Apple Maps.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Serpentis posted:

Is there, on record, a mention of two Italian TFs or convoys passing near each other and not losing a ship? I'd be surprised at this rate.

There's a little bias here, since I'm only posting warship losses. That said, the Italian fleet, especially by 1943, is operating in a pretty lovely environment—confined spaces in the face of now overwhelming Allied air and sea superiority. As I understand it, a lot of their small ships also suffered from some structural weaknesses (this is hardly an Italian-specific problem, as the French, Germans, and Japanese also fielded highly over-stressed small ships).

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

These last couple days have been absolutely brutal

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We start the day with a surface attack on a troopship.

I told this lot to leave, so this is not my fault.

I do thing B-17's are over armoured. The sheer weight of lead here should have brought at least one plane down!

Damnation!

Let the death in China begin!

Focus on the squad kills.

A poor day, but at least we have got the troops where they are needed.

I would have rather not lost the tanker.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

13 January 1943

Japanese Patrol Boat No. 1 (ex-Shimakaze), torpedoed near Kavieng by US submarine Guardfish.

Still seem to be missing the twelfth.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Why are all the combat reports from the 12th missing? What is Japanese military command hiding? I bet the Kido Butai was sunk.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chunky Monkey posted:

Why are all the combat reports from the 12th missing? What is Japanese military command hiding? I bet the Tokyo Bay Fortress was sunk.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
All records involving January 12th, the Yamato, and the USS Enterprise have been permanently sealed, and all events pertaining to that day are hereby forbidden to be discussed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

just a screwup i can fix as i'm not at computer - i'll put the day up later. (I copied todays to google docs in prep then phone posted it)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Japanese troops at Hankow have negative supply, but are also surrounded by friendly troops to secure the siege. Is there a way to get supplies to them?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh come on!

Bloody 12,000 foot snipers.

Revenge! Well, not really, but it always feels good!

Killjoys.

At least here we bag a kill in return.

Battleshiiiiiip!!!!

Another Banzai charge for the Emperor!

I hate Allied level bombers and their ability to hit things.

At least we came out ahead on points!
By one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CannonFodder posted:

The Japanese troops at Hankow have negative supply, but are also surrounded by friendly troops to secure the siege. Is there a way to get supplies to them?

The way to do it is to have an HQ unit with the troops, in order for the troops in the hex to proactively draw supplies, but it also depends on the surrounding infrastructure and all the other troops that come before you "in the web" to see if anything gets through even then.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
As the Hong Kong representative of the thread, I wonder why was it taken by the Japanese so early both in history and this game?

The history education on my side of the Earth is pretty mess up as you may imagine, so please feel free to enlighten me. :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jeek posted:

As the Hong Kong representative of the thread, I wonder why was it taken by the Japanese so early both in history and this game?

The history education on my side of the Earth is pretty mess up as you may imagine, so please feel free to enlighten me. :)

Both in-game and IRL, Hong Kong is impossible to supply in December of 1941. The IJN will prevent anything from getting in or out by sea, the IJA is camped out around the Hong Kong border in China proper, and the Allies don't really have any capability to challenge them in the China Sea until later in the war. And without supplies, the small forces that are stationed in Hong Kong at game beginning can't hold out at all.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
What is a battleship doing that close to Java?? Some deep raid or something? Very strange.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Today I learned something interesting, by checking out the USS Washington on Wikipedia: the main turret of the North Carolina class, of which Washington is one, isn't actually bolted to the hull, but rather held in place by its weight. This is no problem during normal operation, but should the ship capsize the turret would fall right out.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mikl posted:

Today I learned something interesting, by checking out the USS Washington on Wikipedia: the main turret of the North Carolina class, of which Washington is one, isn't actually bolted to the hull, but rather held in place by its weight. This is no problem during normal operation, but should the ship capsize the turret would fall right out.

I wanna say this is true for all battleships but I'm not sure.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think that's the norm rather than the exception.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Let's sink her and find out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mikl posted:

If you capsize a ship, the turret falling off is the least of your worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, it makes sense, it's just a weird image (to me at least) that the turret's not anchored to anything. I logically know that if the ship is turned upside down you've got much bigger problems than your turrets falling out, but it just seems wrong that the main thing differentiating a battleship from a very strangely designed freighter isn't actually bolted on anywhere.