Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hyperlynx posted:

It's heartening to see that abuse of refugees does in fact elicit international outrage. In Australia, we routinely torture refugees and it's actually a polarised issue whether we should stop doing that or not.
Routinely torture them? That sounds awful.

quote:

The offshore processing regime was "explicitly designed to inflict incalculable damage on hundreds of women, men and children" as an act of deterrence, by isolating them "on a remote place from which they cannot leave, with the specific intention that these people should suffer harm", Amnesty said.

The report concluded: "The government of Australia's 'processing' of refugees and asylum-seekers on Nauru is a deliberate and systematic regime of neglect and cruelty, and amounts to torture under international law."
Ah. It's torture in the sense that they're not letting them into Australia. I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Itchie
Sep 19, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently someone threw dog poo poo at Martin Shkreli and nailed him in the face.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a52299/martin-shkreli-dog-poop/

It's UC Davis, a world renowned animal husbandry school...I'm hoping they found something was more disgusting than mere dog poo poo. Oh, and then the poo poo show is coming to my town:

http://sfist.com/2016/12/02/aggressive_breitbart_idiot_milo_yia.php

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://clips.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/GentleHerdStoneLightning

Person tells people to kill themselves at a charity event and later gets banned.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Hihohe posted:

Would cops get in trouble if they wave at the Sovcits camera and were like ,"Hey Youtube, remember you need your license and registration, otherwise you dont have a right to travel on American govt-made roads" cuz I want to see that.

I wonder if a police officer has ever claimed "Only 'people' can sue for police brutality".

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Strudel Man posted:

Ah. It's torture in the sense that they're not letting them into Australia. I see.

That, and there's a ban on reporters mentioning the place, or visiting it, and apparently reported guards regularly rape women there. So, yeah, just like not being let in.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/immigration/2015/08/22/nauru-rapes-there-war-women/14401656002263

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/sexual-abuse-rape-threats-alleged-by-nauru-asylum-seekers-20140929-10nlun.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34552321

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-21/alleged-shortfalls-in-treatment-of-nauru-rape-victim/6872582

https://www.amnesty.ca/news/news-releases/nauru-foreign-media-refused-entry-after-refugee-rape-claims

AgentF
May 11, 2009
There is an intentional and systematic use of the "No Advantage" policy by the Australian government, which holds that the best way to deter refugees from coming to Australia is to make the detention centre conditions as bad as the places the refugees are fleeing from, i.e. third world hellholes and warzones. Because of this the refugees are kept in basic tents in the sweltering 40 degree Nauruan sun, with inadequate access to hygiene, medical care, drinking water, education for their children or social interaction. They have no purpose in their lives and no hope to look forward to; their stay in Nauru is for an indeterminate period, trapped in an endless purgatory that exacts a psychological toll as their lives slip away and mental disorders set in. They are routinely threatened, sometimes assaulted and occasionally raped by local Nauruan guards. Some have died pointlessly after having been refused basic medical care. The Australian government has been known to publish the details of the refugees back to their home countries, opening their families to the risk of reprisal by totalitarian governments.

These men are called illegal immigrants but have committed no crimes and done nothing wrong. They are perfectly entitled to come to Australia seeking refuge, as we are signatory to the United Nations Refugee Convention. Instead of processing them, as is our international obligation, we are instead subjecting them to a literal gulag archipelago.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Holy gently caress dude. Are you saying that indefinite detention without hope of release isn't a form of torture?

E: I seriously cannot comprehend how you can read "deliberate and systematic regime of neglect and cruelty" with the source being Amnesty loving International and think "yeah sounds like the time I 'tortured' my kid by not letting him play videogames huh huh"

E2: Remember how all those fuckers were saying that waterboarding wasn't "real" torture because you don't actually drown? That's you. That's you right now.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Jan 15, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're in paradise, what's the problem?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Guards regularly rape women there? Jesus, that's terrible.

quote:

Allegedly Beth, whose name I have changed, was sitting on the beach with some other women when local men gave her a drink. Beth began to feel woozy, before being dragged into bushes by two or three men and raped.

quote:

Lateline's source says Nauruan police do not dispute that Nazanin was sexually assaulted

In May this year she was given a pass-out from the detention centre to visit a friend.

On her way back to the centre she was grabbed by a single attacker, dragged into bushes and assaulted in a prolonged attack.
Oh. I guess it's actually crimes committed by random men in the community, which these women are apparently allowed to visit.

I don't really understand this tendency to use the strongest possible language, beyond what the situation reasonably supports. If you say that they're being housed in terrible conditions, that would be pretty bad, and also true. If you say they're being tortured and regularly raped by guards, it has a lot of initial shock value, but it wears off a little when people actually look at the details.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jan 15, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Move them goalposts. This is definitely a hill worth dying on. Most assuredly.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

*wet, terrified fart noises*

This sure sounds like you're 100% aware of the situation and definitely not skimming the articles for holes in the stories of abuse victims.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Somfin posted:

This sure sounds like you're 100% aware of the situation and definitely not skimming the articles for holes in the stories of abuse victims.
Hell, I don't know anything. I'm just looking to see if the links posted support the claims being made.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Guards regularly rape women there? Jesus, that's terrible.

Oh. I guess it's actually crimes committed by random men in the community, which these women are apparently allowed to visit.

I don't really understand this tendency to use the strongest possible language, beyond what the situation reasonably supports. If you say that they're being housed in terrible conditions, that would be pretty bad, and also true. If you say they're being tortured and regularly raped by guards, it has a lot of initial shock value, but it wears off a little when people actually look at the details.

Read this, and the report attached, you worthless excuse for a human being.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...shore-detention

quote:

The reports range from a guard allegedly grabbing a boy and threatening to kill him once he is living in the community to guards allegedly slapping children in the face.

quote:

In September 2014 a teacher reported that a young classroom helper had requested a four-minute shower instead of a two-minute shower. “Her request has been accepted on condition of sexual favours. It is a male security person. She did not state if this has or hasn’t occurred. The security officer wants to view a boy or girl having a shower.”

quote:

According to a report from September 2014, a girl had sewn her lips together. A guard saw her and began laughing at her.

quote:

In the files there are seven reports of sexual assault of children, 59 reports of assault on children, 30 of self-harm involving children and 159 of threatened self-harm involving children.

quote:

In one report an asylum seeker described being told she was “on a list” written by local Nauruan guards naming single women they were “waiting for”. “She has received offers to get her pregnant when she gets out,” the caseworker wrote.

quote:

In one report a “cultural adviser” for Wilson Security, the company that employs guards at the detention camp, allegedly told an asylum seeker who had been sexually assaulted in camp that “rape in Australia is very common and people don’t get punished”.

On literally seconds of googling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-showers.html

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/08/12/i-think-i-will-die-here-nauru-asylum-seeker-who-says-she-was-raped-begs-medical

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Hell, I don't know anything. I'm just looking to see if the links posted support the claims being made.

So why are you focusing on the specific reporting slant of one publication's description of one woman's sexual assault rather than the wider issue of you saying

Strudel Man posted:

as a way of dismissing indefinite, deliberately inadequate offshore detention?

E: And before you get all huffy about us "ganging up on you like a bunch of SJWs" or whatever bullshit excuse you're gonna make, you should really have done a couple seconds of actual research as to what you're jumping to the defense of. Which you totally could have done, but have chosen not to, instead taking the pedantic rear end in a top hat route of "well this particular link only describes one rape so how can you say it's institutional"

Somfin has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Somfin posted:

So why are you focusing on the specific reporting slant of one publication's description of one woman's sexual assault rather than the wider issue of you saying
Because a guy said "guards regularly rape women there," and posted some links, and I wanted to see if they said that guards regularly rape women there. Because that would be pretty bad, if they did, and I wanted to know if it was true.

Those were two women, incidentally. And two publications. Ones that were linked in support of the claim, not ones that I furiously googled up or anything.

quote:

as a way of dismissing indefinite, deliberately inadequate offshore detention?
I guess because I really don't think torture is a good term there. Especially saying "routinely" beforehand, as that suggests that some specific act of torture is being repeatedly performed, rather than an ongoing state of really nasty living conditions. Why not just call it genocide, if you really want to get people's attention?

But anyway, it's yet another derail for the thread, so I'll shut it. You can let me know how misguided I am for this latest response, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Auspol fights in the Schadenfreude thread

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://zippy.gfycat.com/DarlingSpotlessKentrosaurus.webm

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Australia sounds like such an awful place, so I suggest we send all the terrible people of the world there.

Make it some kind of convict colony, if you catch my drift.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

If I'm remembering the right story, the government then ruled that removing the hay bales counted as a big enough change that he still needed to comply with the regulations and demolished it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-34777566

TL;DR: if you make a change to your house, like putting in a garden shed or something, and nobody complains for 4 years you can keep it. Some jackass decided to build a castle-like house and hide it behind hay bales for 4 years and that since it stood without objection for 4 years he should be allowed to keep it. Court ruled that taking the hay bales down triggered the 4-year clock.

(That's the owner in the blue sweatshirt and denim dismantling his own roof, btw)

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Jan 15, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"World’s Biggest RC Turbine Jet"
1:2 scale jet powered model Gripen fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM&t=107s

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

If you are going to build a fancy house you might as well do it in the dump. Checks out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All the money he spent on that, he could've just moved to a less lovely neighborhood.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

MLB, NBA, and NHL seem to be doing fine with it.

Yeah but those don't have anywhere near the amount of guaranteed money, and are willing to try new things in an effort to stay relevant. The NFL has no problem with guaranteed money, to them if it's not money on the barrelhead it doesn't exist.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There are Australians that are members of SA. Makes u think...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In case the stories of Nauru weren't bad enough, their president is also basically a Captain America villain.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently someone threw dog poo poo at Martin Shkreli and nailed him in the face.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a52299/martin-shkreli-dog-poop/

Let this be the tone-setting event for 2017: fuckers getting theirs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a bunch of "Worst of 2016" compilations appearing on youtube. Here's some BMX fuckups, there's a pretty good run of videos from the 3:00 point if you get bored with the first few clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mey1yntqPtM

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-34777566

TL;DR: if you make a change to your house, like putting in a garden shed or something, and nobody complains for 4 years you can keep it. Some jackass decided to build a castle-like house and hide it behind hay bales for 4 years and that since it stood without objection for 4 years he should be allowed to keep it. Court ruled that taking the hay bales down triggered the 4-year clock.

(That's the owner in the blue sweatshirt and denim dismantling his own roof, btw)

This is a weird story. Can someone explain what the actual problem is with the house? It looks like he made the whole area a bit nicer. I also find it hard to believe he had no permission, how would he get water and electric to the place?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

British people hate interesting things.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

hanales posted:

This is a weird story. Can someone explain what the actual problem is with the house? It looks like he made the whole area a bit nicer. I also find it hard to believe he had no permission, how would he get water and electric to the place?

There could be nothing wrong with the house, but if he didn't ask permission, it won't matter.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MisterOblivious posted:

Every time I see stuff like that I'm more impressed by how good cameras have gotten than anything else

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

hanales posted:

Because the planning system in England is ruled by Daily Mail reading NIMBY Nazis like the Campaign to Protect Rural England who think that the peasantry shouldn't be blocking their views of fields with their jumped-up mud huts, and that's more important than the UK's appalling housing shortage and subsequent insane property prices (from which these people benefit, fygm) and sky-high levels of homelessness. Besides, if we build enough houses, brown-skinned people might live in them and that would be so frightful our monocles might fall out.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Axeman Jim posted:

Because the planning system in England is ruled by Daily Mail reading NIMBY Nazis like the Campaign to Protect Rural England who think that the peasantry shouldn't be blocking their views of fields with their jumped-up mud huts, and that's more important than the UK's appalling housing shortage and subsequent insane property prices (from which these people benefit, fygm) and sky-high levels of homelessness. Besides, if we build enough houses, brown-skinned people might live in them and that would be so frightful our monocles might fall out.

This was the impression I got.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Axeman Jim posted:

So basically what you're saying is that Hot Fuzz was a documentary.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baron von Eevl posted:

In case the stories of Nauru weren't bad enough, their president is also basically a Captain America villain.

This guy is the patron saint of Fat-Neck Friday.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It is a bloody awful looking thing to be fair

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MisterOblivious posted:

This kills the spectators.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Skippy McPants posted:

So basically what you're saying is that Hot Fuzz was a documentary.

My impression of England was that over the years the empire had control of a staggering amount of the globe. And had to send it's best and brightest out to run this empire. Then they got married and had kids and realised they didn't want to live on a small damp island and stayed in the nicer, larger places they were sent to/went to.

Since Britain is a very small island the population experienced a large degree of brain/talent drain. This drain was hardest at the top of society, and since their society is fairly ridgid they continue to rule and be ruled by small minded, petty, useless chavs, inbred nobility, socially restrictives and boring people.

This is how brexit happened. Everyone who would like to be part of the outside world left to be part of the outside world.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like a glove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So they didn't like his castle but they're cool with the four tanks he has parked in his backyard? :confused: