Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Slackerish posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! My next and hopefully last request is for noirs that have a kind of "horror" edge to them (think True Detective season one, but like, also better)

Speaking of this, I recently got Nic Pizzolatto's (TD creator) short story collection and I haven't read past the first story because it was extremely dumb: http://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/302804/

I do know TD season 1 was heavily inspired by Thomas Ligotti so maybe try some of his?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
please dont talk about genre fiction in literally the only thread on this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

please dont talk about genre fiction in literally the only thread on this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i was under the impression that the pizzolatto short stories were supposed to be "lit fic" when i got them but i was wrong so i meant that post more as a warning than anything

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A human heart posted:

iirc it's basically totally rewritten so that the constraint works in English instead

Bandiet posted:

Pretty sure there's only the one translation. It's not too monumentally different either.

In the name of God, why would anyone take it upon themselves to translate a novel-length lipogram? The level of masochism that would require simply boggles the mind. :psyduck:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

In the name of God, why would anyone take it upon themselves to translate a novel-length lipogram? The level of masochism that would require simply boggles the mind. :psyduck:

Because it's really cool to do that

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

A human heart posted:

Because it's really cool to do that

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Let me be honest about something, though: I don't like generation-spanning fiction. Pick the generation that is interesting and focus in, don't give me 400 pages of background about the people who won't be involved in whatever climax you've cooked up. If someone isn't even alive during your story's climax, then why do you think it's a good idea to tell me about them?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

What about The Sound of Waves?

[In Beavis' voice] Oh yeah....

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Slow Learner has a story where a married old guy leaves his wife to go hang out in a dump where a little gypsy girl comes to him at night to take him into a secret garbage tunnel network (built by a revolutionary group called The Sons of the Red Apocalypse, which I thought was a good name to use for a real group) to an underground sex chamber.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

Let me be honest about something, though: I don't like generation-spanning fiction. Pick the generation that is interesting and focus in, don't give me 400 pages of background about the people who won't be involved in whatever climax you've cooked up. If someone isn't even alive during your story's climax, then why do you think it's a good idea to tell me about them?
Have you read 100 years of solitude

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Burning Rain posted:

I tend to agree with this, with notable exceptions like 100 years of solitude. That said, that sort of stuff can be interesting for non-literary reasons. Marek Halter's Book of Abraham is a good example. It's not particularly well written (at least in translation), but it does have a lot of merit in showcasing how much it has sucked to be a jew throughout history.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Burning Rain posted:

Can you give me an example of this that you disliked?

I've liked the few books that I've read that fit this description, but the idea was that each generation/group was falling into the same cycles and adding to the themes represented. And if they're a good character, why would I care?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
it's from goodreads, guys, from the reviews of Little, Big, which I'm not planning to read.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I liked Roots

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Little? Big? pick one!

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
What do you guys think about Blake Butler? I've read There Is No Year and Scorch Atlas and now I'm in the middle of 3,000,000. I think he's doing things that no one is doing in terms of language but I can also see how he can be dismissed as being just a gimmick.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Just read The Name of the Rose, and any book where one monk calls out another for "breaking wind through the mouth" seems pretty great to me

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elpaganoescapa posted:

What do you guys think about Blake Butler? I've read There Is No Year and Scorch Atlas and now I'm in the middle of 3,000,000. I think he's doing things that no one is doing in terms of language but I can also see how he can be dismissed as being just a gimmick.

I wanted to love 300,000,000, I needed to love 300,000,000, but I very much did not.

I do appreciate what he is doing with language, which is the reason I persevered through finishing it -- there were enough "ah, there you go" moments of prose to make it worthwhile -- but I just can't bring myself to say I liked it. Which is sad because it should have been right up my alley.

Maybe I'll try another of his, which would you recommend?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

david crosby posted:

It was wild to read from the perspective of a gay dude who hates women more than anything else on Earth, yeah. I can't remember anything else about the book though, except that I hated it. I read like 9 or 10 of his books in a year after watching the Paul Schrader movie, and Forbidden Colors was the worst.

If you're going to read Mishima, I like the Sea of Fertility Tetralogy a whole lot, except the 3rd book had like 150 pages about Buddhism which freaking blew. But then it had a cool part where a 60 year old perv watched, through a hole in the wall, a 20 year old reincarnation of his childhood friend have lesbian sex, which was good.

Read Sailor Who Fell From Grace and I'm reading Golden Pavilion right now. (I got the volume with both and Confessions of a Mask) Are each of the Sea of Fertility books about that length or is it a big time commitment? Definitely sounds like the next thing I should read by him but I've got a lot of other books to get through first.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Read Sailor Who Fell From Grace and I'm reading Golden Pavilion right now. (I got the volume with both and Confessions of a Mask) Are each of the Sea of Fertility books about that length or is it a big time commitment? Definitely sounds like the next thing I should read by him but I've got a lot of other books to get through first.

Spring Snow (the first one) can be read by itself. The last book in the series is the best though so you should really continue to read after that just to get the cool final book.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

They're all like 3 hundo pages or so. pretty doable.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is the best Kafka translation? I have read none of him but I would like to.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Heath posted:

What is the best Kafka translation? I have read none of him but I would like to.

Have you considered learning the easy and beautiful German language?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have enough of English left unlearned and I've never known anything else.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kafka transcends language because he wrote in the ageless tongue of paranoid schizophrenia

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Heath posted:

For most of his short stories, which I think you should start with, the Muir translations are the only real option. They're decent, but never really preferable. Their translation of The Trial is good as revised by E.M. Butler. I personally love Mark Harman's translations of Amerika and especially The Castle.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bandiet posted:

For most of his short stories, which I think you should start with, the Muir translations are the only real option. They're decent, but never really preferable. Their translation of The Trial is good as revised by E.M. Butler. I personally love Mark Harman's translations of Amerika and especially The Castle.

Thank you, I found a Muir copy of his short stories and I'm going to start there. I flipped through a few different translations of The Metamorphosis and found the first lines translated alternately as "insect" or "vermin" and somehow that seemed to very much change the tone to me.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Kafka transcends language because he wrote in the ageless tongue of paranoid schizophrenia

Actually Kafka was at most a few degrees from sane.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Actually Kafka was at most a few degrees from sane.
Yeah...... mother loving 69 degrees .

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

My copies are in order, 389, 421, 330, and 236 pages, so overall a pretty big investment but individually they're not too bad. also like someone said above Spring Snow can be read by itself, but they're all really good, especially the first and last books.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

mdemone posted:

I wanted to love 300,000,000, I needed to love 300,000,000, but I very much did not.

I do appreciate what he is doing with language, which is the reason I persevered through finishing it -- there were enough "ah, there you go" moments of prose to make it worthwhile -- but I just can't bring myself to say I liked it. Which is sad because it should have been right up my alley.

Maybe I'll try another of his, which would you recommend?

I think There Is No Year is probably his best, you should give that a shot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The German in the metamorphosis is easy.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

After Blake Butler, check out Sam Pink (The No Hellos Diet and Person) then Brian Alan Ellis (The Mustache He's Always Wanted...) then Scott McClanahan (Anything its all 5 stars) and then Troy James Weaver (Marigold or Wichita Stories)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

elpaganoescapa posted:

I'm always interested in this sort of thing. What is it that he's doing, exactly?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solitair posted:

I'm always interested in this sort of thing. What is it that he's doing, exactly?

Lot of florid imagery, lot of burnt tongue. He's probably one of my favorite writers despite not really writing anything very good on the whole since Scorch Atlas - Three Hundred Million starts off well but disappears up its own butt halfway through, and There Is No Year is flashes of coherence in a sea of vague bad-feeling.

He does do things you wouldn't see from most other writers, though. Three Hundred Million starts as an epistolary horror/crime novel but I'm pretty sure it's eventually about a man achieving enlightenment by sublimating humanity's collective Thanatos impulse.

e: if you have Kindle Unlimited, you can get a decent taste of his style in the short story "We Witnessed the Advent of a New Apocalypse During an Episode of Friends" in this collection. Most of the other stories in there are kind of a mess, though.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 15, 2017

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

Solitair posted:

It's difficult to describe exactly but I'd say he uses words like an abstract painter uses paint. He uses layers and layers of apparently disconnected words to get an atmosphere or feeling going. I feel like I'm doing a disservice by describing what he does like that because it sounds incredibly pretentious, but it's really unique writing, he's one of my favorite young writers.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Person by Sam Pink is good

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Lot of florid imagery, lot of burnt tongue. He's probably one of my favorite writers despite not really writing anything very good on the whole since Scorch Atlas - Three Hundred Million starts off well but disappears up its own butt halfway through, and There Is No Year is flashes of coherence in a sea of vague bad-feeling.

He does do things you wouldn't see from most other writers, though. Three Hundred Million starts as an epistolary horror/crime novel but I'm pretty sure it's eventually about a man achieving enlightenment by sublimating humanity's collective Thanatos impulse.

e: if you have Kindle Unlimited, you can get a decent taste of his style in the short story "We Witnessed the Advent of a New Apocalypse During an Episode of Friends" in this collection. Most of the other stories in there are kind of a mess, though.

Oh, I've got that Bizarro Fiction collection on my list already. If I wanted to see Butler at his best without any other author weighing him down, should I just get Scorch Atlas, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solitair posted:

Oh, I've got that Bizarro Fiction collection on my list already. If I wanted to see Butler at his best without any other author weighing him down, should I just get Scorch Atlas, then?

I'd say so. They're all short stories so he doesn't have as much time to completely vanish into abstraction like he does with his novels.