Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kirios posted:

Honestly I wouldn't even mind taking someone like Nathan Peterman in the 2nd or 3rd. He kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins coming out.

Don't do this to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Don't do this to yourself.

what, the thing he does every year where he convinces himself the Texans NEED to draft an incredibly lovely quarterback because just signing one in the off-season isn't good enough?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah it's like clock work but we all kinda do it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's astounding how this is the fourth consecutive offseason where everyone says the Texans need a new QB. And they got new QBs each of the past three seasons!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm not even being like Parmesan and demanding a team with Alex Smith to draft a QB (I would kill for Alex Smith).

This is a team that has had the following QBs start the last three seasons:

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler.

Am I really going that far on a limb on this one? What the gently caress would you do if your franchise went into the last three seasons with that at quarterback?

Yes, of course I'm going to continue to want a quarterback to be drafted high.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't forget Ryan Mallet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It's astounding how this is the fourth consecutive offseason where everyone says the Texans need a new QB. And they got new QBs each of the past three seasons!

The Texans are the kind of team you point to when looking at like the Bills looking to dump Tyrod and go COME ON MAN.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Don't forget Ryan Mallet.

Those that I listed aren't even injury starters. The Texans literally started the season with those three at number one on the depth chart.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

The Texans are the kind of team you point to when looking at like the Bills looking to dump Tyrod and go COME ON MAN.

Yea or Romo. The Texans could easily pull a Denver and take the aging QB to the Superbowl. Plus Tony might actually be able to hit Hopkins consistently.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Doltos posted:

LT for sure.

Of course, the award simply exists for the consensus #1 who isn't picked #1. It's not awarded every year either.

Daltos - Please tell me about the top 3 or 4 RTs in the draft and if they will be around for pick #24. Thank you.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea or Romo. The Texans could easily pull a Denver and take the aging QB to the Superbowl. Plus Tony might actually be able to hit Hopkins consistently.

He'll be a one year rental at best. We're gonna need a new Tackle, Guard and Center at least.

Edit: Maybe not Center I remember we drafted one last year but he went down with an injury. But Newton is dead and Jeff Allen is a loving bum

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 15, 2017

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

what, the thing he does every year where he convinces himself the Texans NEED to draft an incredibly lovely quarterback because just signing one in the off-season isn't good enough?

Nate Peterman is not good, and won't be any better than Savage at the pro level, with a signficantly weaker arm to boot. They shouldn't waste a pick on him

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

He'll be a one year rental at best. We're gonna need a new Tackle, Guard and Center at least.

Edit: Maybe not Center I remember we drafted one last year but he went down with an injury. But Newton is dead and Jeff Allen is a loving bum

Those things are totally doable in the draft along with FA.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

are there any decent QB prospects this draft? I'm thinking that the Giants definitely need to start planning for the future and get someone who can step in after Eli becomes a pumpkin. the more pressing needs are a boost to the OL and depth at LB, I think

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Carlosologist posted:

are there any decent QB prospects this draft? I'm thinking that the Giants definitely need to start planning for the future and get someone who can step in after Eli becomes a pumpkin. the more pressing needs are a boost to the OL and depth at LB, I think

A lot of developmental guys, and pretty much nothing but.

Mahomes is my favorite.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the best prospect this year is a 1 year starter from a basketball school that lost to nc god drat loving state and lovely duke

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Carlosologist posted:

Tight End.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrLogan posted:

Daltos - Please tell me about the top 3 or 4 RTs in the draft and if they will be around for pick #24. Thank you.

Pre-combine it's looking like these guys in the top 100 that might be RTs:

Roderick Johnson
Taylor Moton
Conor McDermott ~ kinda a tweener LG.
Avery Gennesy
Adam Bisnowaty

I like to think that the shuttle and 3-cone tends to dictate which side the player is tried out on first when they hit the starting line. Usually the o-line is so injured you have to end up in multiple spots anyway and that's why o-line coaches love versatile players. Also a lot of teams are looking for great pass blockers on the right side because LE's aren't slow anymore. We'll see more about these guys when the combine comes around.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

the best prospect this year is a 1 year starter from a basketball school that lost to nc god drat loving state and lovely duke

NC State was sneaky good this year. They were a short FG away from beating Clemson.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Nate Peterman is not good, and won't be any better than Savage at the pro level, with a signficantly weaker arm to boot. They shouldn't waste a pick on him

I have noooooooooooooo idea what anybody sees in Peterman to justify the amount of times I've read his name in regards to the draft.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FizFashizzle posted:

To be fair he lost to NC State in the literal middle of goddamn hurricane Matthew. The whole thing was a spectacularly entertaining shitshow. It really should've been called on count of weather. I don't like Kiser but that game shouldn't count when looking at his stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOynLpcfmk

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

To be fair he lost to NC State in the literal middle of goddamn hurricane Matthew. The whole thing was a spectacularly entertaining shitshow. It really should've been called on count of weather. I don't like Kiser but that game shouldn't count when looking at his stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOynLpcfmk

He's talking about Trubisky.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol Notre Dame QBs

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

big money big clit posted:

He's talking about Trubisky.

Does that rhyme with Bortles?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami should probably draft a linebacker or two but man I want OJ HOWARD so bad in this offense

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Time to start paying attention to the draft!

Apparently this is a good year for secondary players? I think Seattle is gonna need a CB. Sherman is up there in age and Shead just sustained an ACL injury. To be honest, I think I would get this first over offensive line.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.
I swear to god if the Bears don't draft Jabrill Peppers or Jamal Adams or any other top tier defensive player I may have to find a new team. They need help at so many positions, drafting a QB at 3 isn't going to do much for them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

extendedsolo posted:

I swear to god if the Bears don't draft Jabrill Peppers or Jamal Adams or any other top tier defensive player I may have to find a new team. They need help at so many positions, drafting a QB at 3 isn't going to do much for them.

I'm all aboard the Jamal Adams train. I feel like free safety is the mist undervalued position on defense. A top flight guy just makes defenses great.

But I have no problem with the Bears drafting a quarterback if they like one of them. You can't have long term success without one.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Miami should probably draft a linebacker or two but man I want OJ HOWARD so bad in this offense

The Bucs should pick him up so we can keep running our giant receiver offense.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Sataere posted:

I'm all aboard the Jamal Adams train. I feel like free safety is the mist undervalued position on defense. A top flight guy just makes defenses great.

But I have no problem with the Bears drafting a quarterback if they like one of them. You can't have long term success without one.

that's how you get teams drafting christian ponder/jake locker/blake bortles.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

extendedsolo posted:

that's how you get teams drafting christian ponder/jake locker/blake bortles.

That's just hyperbolic bullshit. These are a different set of quarterbacks and they need to be evaluated on their own merits. Think of what people were saying about Wentz after being picked 2nd and being unheralded as a prospect.

If you think the guy at three could be an above average starter for multiple years, you take him, even if a prospect grades higher positiionally. Because quarterbacks are that loving important.

Trust your evaluation process, but you can't apply the same rules to quarterback if you need one. Or you end up the Texans at best.

Just make sure you are evaluating him based on his skill level, not your own desperate hopes.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'd prefer them to take a TE in the draft, but it's quite possible the Jaguars might be cutting Julius Thomas and I think that's a pretty easy fit there.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Sataere posted:

That's just hyperbolic bullshit. These are a different set of quarterbacks and they need to be evaluated on their own merits. Think of what people were saying about Wentz after being picked 2nd and being unheralded as a prospect.

If you think the guy at three could be an above average starter for multiple years, you take him, even if a prospect grades higher positiionally. Because quarterbacks are that loving important.

Trust your evaluation process, but you can't apply the same rules to quarterback if you need one. Or you end up the Texans at best.

Just make sure you are evaluating him based on his skill level, not your own desperate hopes.

Wentz was more-or-less considered the best QB prospect during the draft process with Goff sorta rising as people second-guessed towards the end. He wasn't unheralded at all

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Wentz was more-or-less considered the best QB prospect during the draft process with Goff sorta rising as people second-guessed towards the end. He wasn't unheralded at all

Nope.

In an obvious self-brag I called Wentz back in January going in the top 15 and people asked me if I was serious. Goff held the #1 pretty much all year with Wentz being in the top 100 due to the FCS dominance of NDSU. Remember that Wentz was heavily injured that year and didn't have the greatest of seasons either. Besides that you easily had guys like Paxton Lynch holding the #1 or #2 spot all year due to stupid FBS hype.

Then once the draft process hit it really looked like Goff ran away with the show in the combine. Then again Hackenberg also performed well in the throwing drills, but I digress.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

Nope.

In an obvious self-brag I called Wentz back in January going in the top 15 and people asked me if I was serious. Goff held the #1 pretty much all year with Wentz being in the top 100 due to the FCS dominance of NDSU. Remember that Wentz was heavily injured that year and didn't have the greatest of seasons either. Besides that you easily had guys like Paxton Lynch holding the #1 or #2 spot all year due to stupid FBS hype.

Then once the draft process hit it really looked like Goff ran away with the show in the combine. Then again Hackenberg also performed well in the throwing drills, but I digress.

I mean after the CFB season, into the combine and beyond. Wentz and Goff were neck and neck after the combine

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I mean after the CFB season, into the combine and beyond. Wentz and Goff were neck and neck after the combine

He wasn't though. For most of the process, Goff was the clear front-runner. Wentz started making real noise about the month before the draft. For a majority of the process, nobody considered him a top five pick.

And assuming he continues to progress, I am more than happy about where I drafted him if I'm an Eagles fan. Which is to say not very happy, because if I am an Eagles fan, I am incapable of experiencing joy.

More and more, I adhere to the school of thought that you should draft whoever the gently caress you want in the first round. Just make sure you are right or you're getting fired.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Sataere posted:

Your last line is what most teams do, and I have no hope that the Bears can draft and develop a QB taken in the first any better than one taken in the 3rd or 4th.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

Nope.

Paxton Lynch went to Memphis, lets not pretend he was the product of a powerhouse school with all eyes on it.

Carson Wentz started 1 and a half seasons at NDSU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

extendedsolo posted:

Your last line is what most teams do, and I have no hope that the Bears can draft and develop a QB taken in the first any better than one taken in the 3rd or 4th.

I'm not sure that is what most teams do. I think some move based on their rating system and I think some let outside factors like job security and media pressure convince them to act against their own best interests.

You can't live life scared. I'm not saying that the Bears should take a QB. I am saying that if the Bears think there is a potential franchise QB at 3 and they pick a different position because they have him rated higher, than they are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So if the Titans take Mike Williams at the 5, who do we take with the later pick?

• Locked thread