Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm playing through Hearts of Stone and I'm absolutely tickled that halfway through the main quest the game turns into a heist movie. This game is really loving good.

Hearts of Stone especially felt like a victory lap to me, the developers just showboating and showing off all the fun stuff they could do because they're at the top of their game and want to demonstrate the main game wasn't some kind of fluke. All the quests are really impressive in different ways.

Also music-wise, this Gwent track from Blood & Wine isn't on the soundtrack and I really love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFi4QObJp50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've heard that I should finish Hearts of Stone before the main game, is that a bad idea?

I just finished Bald Mountain and there seem to be a bunch of mostly story missions with Triss and Yen and such... I'm level 30 and generally have been tackling stuff a few levels higher because the challenge makes it more fun, so I was thinking about hitting Hearts of Stone next and then finishing out the main game before doing Blood and Wine. Is that a dumb idea?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fuzz posted:

I've heard that I should finish Hearts of Stone before the main game, is that a bad idea?

I just finished Bald Mountain and there seem to be a bunch of mostly story missions with Triss and Yen and such... I'm level 30 and generally have been tackling stuff a few levels higher because the challenge makes it more fun, so I was thinking about hitting Hearts of Stone next and then finishing out the main game before doing Blood and Wine. Is that a dumb idea?

Honestly, you can do it either way, Hearts of Stone is higher level content, but I believe the only thing that changes is one potential mission reward that, depending on how you complete the quest, you may not even come across anyway.

Although I do worry that the main quest will lose some of its tension if you take a 20 hour break from it and then go back to it, but that's just me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Crappy Jack posted:

Honestly, you can do it either way, Hearts of Stone is higher level content, but I believe the only thing that changes is one potential mission reward that, depending on how you complete the quest, you may not even come across anyway.

Although I do worry that the main quest will lose some of its tension if you take a 20 hour break from it and then go back to it, but that's just me.

I think there may also be some relevant dialogue from characters in the main quest if you talk to them while in the middle of Hearts of Stone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fuzz posted:

You can go back and forth between Blood And Wine and the main game so do as you please, but yeah it was intended to be played after the main game to the point that there's a line that refers to the end of the main quest that Geralt says even if you haven't gotten there yet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
At the first point of no return in B&W, before you have fun storming the castle, what sidequests have to be done? I just got the pop up telling me I was about to hit that point so I saved and want to clean everything up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eopia posted:

I think there may also be some relevant dialogue from characters in the main quest if you talk to them while in the middle of Hearts of Stone.

I'm on my first playthrough of the expansions now and I've not finished the main quest on this save and when I talked to Ciri, there was an option about Geralt's new face mark so there's probably a bunch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, 55 points of interest left to find in Skellige and I'm finding every last one, even if they're almost certainly mostly Smuggler's Caches and siren fights. Then I just have a few contracts and treasure hunts I've been saving because of my level, and then it's off to start Act II properly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Bicyclops posted:

Well, 55 points of interest left to find in Skellige and I'm finding every last one, even if they're almost certainly mostly Smuggler's Caches and siren fights. Then I just have a few contracts and treasure hunts I've been saving because of my level, and then it's off to start Act II properly.

My advice for people doing the caches is to get in a boat and do them in huge chunks. The overburdened poo poo doesn't matter when your just diving in the water to get the stuff and moving on. Then just go to a harbor and fast travel to Heirarch Square and get ready to mediate a LOT

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm pretty sure you can save the contacts for after act II if you want. There are some side quests that'll fail for sure but I don't think anything happens to witcher contracts.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm getting back into this after playing for a while and getting burned out (before all the DLC was released). Are there any must-have mods on the PC version, or any QoL improvement mods that I should be looking at before diving in again?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm pretty sure you can save the contacts for after act II if you want. There are some side quests that'll fail for sure but I don't think anything happens to witcher contracts.

There's this list on gamefaqs- http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71884497
it looks fairly accurate and jibes with what I remember of the quests mentioned (they all get a little movie or a different cutscene in act 2/3 depending on what you do in the quest)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm getting back into this after playing for a while and getting burned out (before all the DLC was released). Are there any must-have mods on the PC version, or any QoL improvement mods that I should be looking at before diving in again?

These are the big ones for me.

Jump in Shallow Water - seriously this is a game changer
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/659/

HD Reworked - just some minor texter changes on roks and poo poo. Looks really nice
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021/

All Quest Objectives on Map - this helps for the small quests
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/943/

Indestructable Items
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 15, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So I'm at the point where I just completed the Brothers in Arms quests (or at least those I chose to complete) but haven't proceeded beyond that in the main storyline. Should I knock out sidequests first, or is this not a point where it will gently caress up leftover sidequests and contracts?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you're doing Skellige caches then get the Hornwall Horn to drop sirens from the sky instantly. Or at least be aware that you can shoot the crossbow when you're steering the boat and it auto-targets so you really don't have to deal with the boat getting destroyed all the time.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 15, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

So I'm at the point where I just completed the Brothers in Arms quests (or at least those I chose to complete) but haven't proceeded beyond that in the main storyline. Should I knock out sidequests first, or is this not a point where it will gently caress up leftover sidequests and contracts?

You can do contracts whenever, even postgame. There are some side quests that'll fail if you go much longer but others should be available whenever as well. I posted a gamefaqs link a few posts above, it's a list of the quests you'll want to have finished before continuing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

You can do contracts whenever, even postgame. There are some side quests that'll fail if you go much longer but others should be available whenever as well. I posted a gamefaqs link a few posts above, it's a list of the quests you'll want to have finished before continuing.

So you did :downs:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I stopped playing before any of the expansions came out, and today after reinstalling the game to my ps4 and redownloading patches I got greeted by a long rear end cutscene about the conjunction of the spheres and magic and the wild hunt and witchers being meanie doodoo heads. Was that always there or was it patched in with the expansions?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

So I stopped playing before any of the expansions came out, and today after reinstalling the game to my ps4 and redownloading patches I got greeted by a long rear end cutscene about the conjunction of the spheres and magic and the wild hunt and witchers being meanie doodoo heads. Was that always there or was it patched in with the expansions?

iirc it was always there. I remember it being released on youtube as part of the pre-launch marketing

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hearts of Stone works well if you do it during the 'Final Preparations' questlines. Just imagine Geralt going "well might as well get some extra coin while we have a moment to take a breather" and then getting involved in some nutso stuff.
Technically speaking there is an 'alternate reward' if you finish it while you're still doing the Brothers in Arms quests but not only is it just dialogue, it's also part of the 'bad ending' of Hearts of Stone. You still get the other fun dialogue if you leave it for before you finish the game, just check in on Triss, Ciri and Yennefer once an obvious thing happens.

Blood and Wine is more like "Geralt's last big contract" before retiring to his beautiful FrenchItalian villa.
I haven't beaten it yet though please don't tell me this villa I am sinking coin into for no real reason is going to blow up :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bewilderment posted:

Blood and Wine is more like "Geralt's last big contract" before retiring to his beautiful FrenchItalian villa.
I haven't beaten it yet though please don't tell me this villa I am sinking coin into for no real reason is going to blow up :(

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For real though I am 100% certain Fawlty Towers was aired in Poland and was a hit so I'm surprised that the reference in Blood and Wine is as understated as it is. Majordomo actually gave me pleasant ASMR as he was showing me around.

Especially since, like, an entire short quest is an Asterix reference. I was disappointed you couldn't solve it the same way Asterix did.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

bewilderment posted:

Especially since, like, an entire short quest is an Asterix reference. I was disappointed you couldn't solve it the same way Asterix did.

Haha wait what?? Which one?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Haha wait what?? Which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5kwSap9Ug

I think my local library had every Asterix book except for this one; I could swear it's the only one I've never read

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone else look up the word "orgy" at the age of eight because the Roman characters kept using it in a context that sounded like "party" and you wondered why they didn't just say "party"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Think I'll hold off on Hearts of Stone then... maybe. Didn't realize it was that long a DLC.

Then again, my Geralt spent about 20 hours paying Gwent rather than looking for Ciri, so...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

Anyone else look up the word "orgy" at the age of eight because the Roman characters kept using it in a context that sounded like "party" and you wondered why they didn't just say "party"

I never looked it up but for years and years, thanks to those (wonderful) books I thought orgy was just another word for "Wild party" (which I guess technically it is!) and I'm kinda surprised I never accidentally used it in that context before I found out the more traditional (modern) meaning.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 16, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fuzz posted:

Think I'll hold off on Hearts of Stone then... maybe. Didn't realize it was that long a DLC.

Then again, my Geralt spent about 20 hours paying Gwent rather than looking for Ciri, so...

It's 10-15 hours. Like, 8ish hours of story, 2to 4 hours of sidequests and points of interest depending on how well you plan your route, and then you add extra time if you're not good at Dark Souls style boss fights.

They're not ballbustingly hard but they're more 'video game boss' than fights in the main game and are a jump in difficulty compared to decoctioning up and then just mashing left click on a forktail or griffin.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Drifter posted:

These are the big ones for me.

Jump in Shallow Water - seriously this is a game changer
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/659/

This is on a level like the fix/patch addons for Fallout/Elder Scrolls. It's not going to affect you a lot but you'll love it the next time you get caught in some awkward hole and have to reload a save just to get out.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

What's up with Radovid's whack-rear end chess metaphors?

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 16, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

guns for tits posted:

What's up with Radovid's whack-rear end chess metaphors?

He's a crazy rear end in a top hat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

guns for tits posted:

What's up with Ravodid's whack-rear end chess metaphors?

You'd understand if you were a king.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Radovid has an excellent character arc from Witcher I to Witcher III

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I did it. I found every loving point of interest that was on my map, save for one in Velen that seems unreachable as yet, the northern group in Novigrad that I think are a part of the DLC, two I couldn't get to in Skellige, and the one with the level forty-something Archgriffin who OHKOs me and takes too long to whittle down to deal with an OHKO situation (I'll be back for you, Griffin).

I make a checklist of all the quests before I go to a place and I've cleared White Orchard, Velen, Novigrad and Skellige, but for a couple I googled and are apparently plot dependent later, some that I missed due to choices I don't regret, and a few contracts and treasure hunts that are level 33 or above). Gerald probably has breath that smells like Killer Whale and hears Sirens screaming at crossbow death when it's quiet, but I've got 60,000 crowns, a full (pre-DLC) Gwent deck, some nice lookin' Griffin gear, and a whole book by Dandelion about all the poo poo I've pulled. Time for Ugly Baby and pretty much mainlining the main story from here until I get to a level that I feel like I want a Hearts of Stone detour.

I still can't clear Abandoned Inn on Skellige, though. I think it's just glitched. Also, sometimes Monster Dens show as cleared and sometimes they don't. Not sure what that's about.

Some of the higher level stuff on Skellige is really, really good. I love that Skellige's Most Wanted references so many earlier quests. I can't put this down and I probably won't until I've one the DLC. Game of the loving year. I hope in Witcher 4: the Gwentening, it's revealed that the last words Gerald heard were from a smuggler saying "Just a ploughin' moment! Are ye telling me that yer the one who took all o' those saddles of my caches? That's enough to send me into a a berserker rage!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Bicyclops posted:

Well, I did it. I found every loving point of interest that was on my map, save for one in Velen that seems unreachable as yet, the northern group in Novigrad that I think are a part of the DLC, two I couldn't get to in Skellige, and the one with the level forty-something Archgriffin who OHKOs me and takes too long to whittle down to deal with an OHKO situation (I'll be back for you, Griffin).

:smug: lol, git gud scrub. Beat him at level 7, because quen is frankly cheating. :smug:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The last time I fought a monster that I was really underleveled for I was level 7 and it was a level 20 earth elemental. The fight lasted two in-game days and I crashed to desktop the moment the monster died.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The last time I fought a monster that I was really underleveled for I was level 7 and it was a level 20 earth elemental. The fight lasted two in-game days and I crashed to desktop the moment the monster died.

That hurts to read friend. I'm sorry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just stack alchemy skills and beat enemies thirty levels higher than you. That arachas contract was a cakewalk the minute I got the anti poison potion

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If I play through this again, I might do my damnedest to leave relicts alone. Fiends are badass and cool, and gently caress humanity for moving into their hunting lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All the fiends in my game were bugged and wouldn't attack me, fighting them was like kicking a dog :(