Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pureauthor posted:

I believe people here are not paying enough attention to Project Octopath Traveler.

Because seriously.

It's named Project Octopath Traveler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I know I am setsuna is kinda meh but it still appeals to me. Anyone here play it already? I'll probably pick it up for the switch just to have multiple stuff to play on it lol. My expectations are low for it but if it's a fun rpg I'm down.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Currently planning to get:

Zelda
Splatoon
Mario Odyssey
Rime
1 - 2 Switch, although probably not right away
Whatever 'full' Pokemon title comes out
Probably Xenoblade
Octopath Traveler if that is in fact the new Bravely Default dev's game

Knowing me I'll probably also pick up a lot of spur of the moment NES/SNES/back catalogue stuff, especially if they continue with remakes a la Afterburner and Out Run.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I believe people here are not paying enough attention to Project Octopath Traveler.

Because seriously.

It's named Project Octopath Traveler.

I don't need to know anything more about that game than its aesthetic and developer to know I'm buying it.

I wish I Am Setsuna was a full game, I loved it and it really started getting going right around the time it ended.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I know I am setsuna is kinda meh but it still appeals to me. Anyone here play it already? I'll probably pick it up for the switch just to have multiple stuff to play on it lol. My expectations are low for it but if it's a fun rpg I'm down.

I LOVED it. The story is fairly/completely predictable and the mechanics aren't much/any more complicated than Chrono Trigger. But, the art direction is great (even if it does get a little same-y by the end), the soundtrack was great, and it did a good job of keeping me from playing Chrono Trigger for the 20th time. Took me like 20 hours to do everything but the last super boss, really wish they had fleshed the game out more.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is an ongoing LP for it that got the Thread closed multiple times due to people hating the game incessantly for every small detail. It's also very boring.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here is 10 mins of Zelda in handheld mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC8MVY5zzAI

I hope it feels as good to play in handheld mode as this video makes it look.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Not much of a conspiracy theory, that's almost definitely what the name is referring to!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wendell posted:

Not much of a conspiracy theory, that's almost definitely what the name is referring to!

You're forgetting who's America this is now. :freep:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I hope The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ gets a physical release. I'd love to get a copy of that game to put on a shelf.

My year one is Zelda, Mario, Afterbirth+, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Ultra Street Fighter 2, and hopefully that Dark Souls Collection and Pokemon Stars provided they exist and release this year.

Maybe I am Setsuna and Xenoblade 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Soul Glo posted:

I hope The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ gets a physical release. I'd love to get a copy of that game to put on a shelf.

It seems to be getting one, at least GameStop's asking $40 for it and I'd assume (and hope) that price point suggests a physical one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Policenaut posted:

It seems to be getting one, at least GameStop's asking $40 for it and I'd assume (and hope) that price point suggests a physical one.

GameStop's taken preorders for digital stuff in the past, right?

$40 DOES imply to be a physical release, though. I'd gladly pay them that for the hundreds of hours I've gotten out of my PS+ copy of Rebirth (though I did buy Afterbirth for it).

Hope it runs well. That game runs like dogshit on the 3DS and not well enough on the Vita.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

greatn posted:

They are claiming Xenoblade 2 is coming in all territories this year.

Okay, I didn't realize an Xenoblade 2 was in development. That makes me really want a Switch once the game actually comes out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I thought Xenoblade X was supposed to be Xenoblade 2?

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
Today is a good day.

$300 (switch) - $236 (wii-u + 4 games trade in) = hell yeah boyeeeee

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hybridfusion posted:

Today is a good day.

Sounds like retailers are banking on Wii U being impossible to find soon

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pollyanna posted:

I thought Xenoblade X was supposed to be Xenoblade 2?

I think it was a prequel.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My shopping list for this year is:

Zelda
Splatoon 2
Mario
Stardew Valley

Which is pretty small, but I don't have a large gaming budget. Have to restrict to what I know I'll like. In the meantime, I still have a decent 3DS and Wii U backlog to get through.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Virtual On 2 looking pretty good. :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rexroom posted:

I think it was a prequel.

The idea of X being a prequel to 1 is kind of mindblowing, but I'd love to see how they would pull that off. Then again, I haven't been keeping up to date on Xenoblade stuff.

Trying to psych myself out to get a Switch around launch, I really wanna play Breath of the Wild in as best a state as possible but $300 is a good chunk of change, and I don't know if the Switch is gonna have all that many titles yet. :ohdear: Plus, there's the inevitable revisions and system upgrades, which makes me wonder when the best time to jump in would be. The other option is to buy the WiiU version of Zelda and play that, then get a Switch once the games are more entrenched. I really really wanna try playing with the new console, but I fear that I'd get bored with the new gimmick relatively quickly without games to keep my attention. In which case WiiU Zelda is a better option. gently caress it, it's a couple months out, so I'll think about it later.

Hybridfusion posted:

Today is a good day.

Where'd you trade it in? I'm thinking of doing the same.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's kind of sad that rocket league is $20 and this is $60

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Not sure if already posted, but BOTW has dual audio voices!

Am I weird to say that I think that Nintendo has a better console UI than Sony or Microsoft?

Or in more accurate terms, a less worse one?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Nintendo Wii U UI is dogshit compared to Sony or Microsoft. Are you judging on a 5 second gif?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The idea of X being a prequel to 1 is kind of mindblowing, but I'd love to see how they would pull that off. Then again, I haven't been keeping up to date on Xenoblade stuff.

There's been nothing to really keep up on. I don't think Xenoblade and X were related to each other. Xenoblade 2 looks better because it's doing away with the giant robots... I can't believe I just said that, but piloting those giant robots was really hard and their fuel mechanic was annoying. I hope Xenoblade 2 has better world design and is better balanced.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ethanol posted:

The Nintendo Wii U UI is dogshit compared to Sony or Microsoft. Are you judging on a 5 second gif?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tfSj8Zs90

why not judge it based on a video?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I weird to say that I think that Nintendo has a better console UI than Sony or Microsoft?

Nintendo makes their UI for literal children, so it goes without saying that they'd be the best at it. :v:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

Here is 10 mins of Zelda in handheld mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC8MVY5zzAI

I hope it feels as good to play in handheld mode as this video makes it look.

It looks like his right hand index finger is going to be cramped as gently caress

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ethanol posted:

I've owned Wii U, own a PS4, and extensively played a Xbox One.

PS4 is great for the basic immediate menu, but terrible for literally everything else. Especially their store. And placements of various options are just weird. Xbox One has the worst UI I have ever used. Wii U has everything up front, allows for folders, and everything seems to be a in a reasonable place except WiFi connect.

EDIT: Also PS4 doesn't allow you to see play time. What the gently caress?

Perfect. Simple and everything is right there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It looks like your typical phone or tablet UI. The Wii U interface really sucked because it was so slow, I just need Nintendo to fix that problem on Switch.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It looks like your typical phone or tablet UI. The Wii U interface really sucked because it was so slow, I just need Nintendo to fix that problem on Switch.

This

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've owned Wii U, own a PS4, and extensively played a Xbox One.

PS4 is great for the basic immediate menu, but terrible for literally everything else. Especially their store. And placements of various options are just weird. Xbox One has the worst UI I have ever used. Wii U has everything up front, allows for folders, and everything seems to be a in a reasonable place except WiFi connect.

This matches my user experience, but if you have cod :iw: running, the entire PS4 system slows to a crawl.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh awesome, that is great news.

I'm still on the fence about buying the Switch though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The Switch UI doesn't look anything like that. The typical phone/tablet UI was essentially the Wii U. The Switch's UI looks very simplistic with options built into the bottom five virtual buttons in the main screen.

Mister Macys posted:

This matches my user experience, but if you have cod :iw: running, the entire PS4 system slows to a crawl.

I will never understand why people like Call of Duty. The game is so brainless.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So has Nintendo talked about what VC is compatible with Switch yet? Really want to replay Xenoblade but if I can replay it on Switch with Wii VC I'd take that over playing it on New 3DS.

Soul Glo posted:

GameStop's taken preorders for digital stuff in the past, right?

$40 DOES imply to be a physical release, though. I'd gladly pay them that for the hundreds of hours I've gotten out of my PS+ copy of Rebirth (though I did buy Afterbirth for it).

Hope it runs well. That game runs like dogshit on the 3DS and not well enough on the Vita.

Yeah, GameStop seems to be selling digital looking stuff for $20 as well.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
How sure are we of an Animal Crossing game being made for the Switch? (As in, surely they wouldn't NOT release an AC game?)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The PS4 UI is the worst. I have to deal with apps I don't even have downloaded essentially serving as ads, you have no way of customizing where anything is laid out, and the various categories are both too numerous and what they're for is poorly conveyed.

The store is a loving mess and hasn't changed a bit since the PS3 except aesthetically.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

why people like Call of Duty: The game is so brainless.
here

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ethanol posted:

Sounds like retailers are banking on Wii U being impossible to find soon

It's no longer in production or being shipped to retailers. What's out is all that will be out.

Odds are that the Wii U will be an expensive console years from now. Fewer exist in the wild than an average modern console, and it will likely have a library of good games not playable anywhere else since Nintendo doesn't seem to be porting many to Switch.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Pollyanna posted:

Where'd you trade it in? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Gamestop. If you sign up for their free tier gamestop rewards they add an extra $50 and there is an additional $5 coupon thing you can ask for at the store as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

So has Nintendo talked about what VC is compatible with Switch yet? Really want to replay Xenoblade but if I can replay it on Switch with Wii VC I'd take that over playing it on New 3DS.

There's no backwards compatibility of any kind for Wii U or Wii. Nintendo won't be able to do this because the Switch is totally different hardware, where the Wii and Wii U are the same.

• Locked thread