Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Illumi Zoldyck from Hunter X Hunter might count. He was the closest thing the Election Arc had to a main villain, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Several Toriko villains are watching you from the land of cancelled manga

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 15, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Toriko got canceled? I thought that was hot poo poo as recently as last year.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I thought Toriko just ended, not cancelled.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
During 2016, Toriko became consistently low-ranked in WSJ. Bleach tier. So it was brought to an accelerated conclusion. Canceled.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xarbala posted:

I like both mha and one piece.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Vengarr posted:

Well, it runs in Shonen Jump. So it's just as likely to be this:

The Finer Arts > ADTRW > My Hero Academia: We Found Sasuke

Finally.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I forgot to bookmark to myself where your avatar is from, where is it from again?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Vigilantes is pretty good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

I forgot to bookmark to myself where your avatar is from, where is it from again?

The image itself is this, and the character herself is from iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks, I should get around to watching it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idols are good, just like shounen manga is good.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I like this dysfunctional delinquent vigilante family.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i like vigilante, but i can't wait until popstep does something that isn't running away or being perved at

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i like vigilante, but i can't wait until popstep does something that isn't running away or being perved at

yea I caught up on it and that's the one thing I haven't liked so far. let her do something cool, c'mon

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pop Step needs a long weapon, like a spear or something. Since she can fly, she can attack people from outside of their reach.

Regarding One Piece chat, I sort of objectively realize it's good but can't enjoy it. Something about the character designs and the personality of the protagonist bothers me. I intellectually know the character designs are really good, but just don't enjoy them, and Luffy has always felt sort of soulless to me, like some vessel for a bundle of shounen protagonist traits. Like, he's the sort of character that might suddenly murder a random innocent person and smile while doing it and saying it's part of the adventure.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

During 2016, Toriko became consistently low-ranked in WSJ. Bleach tier. So it was brought to an accelerated conclusion. Canceled.

Difference is Toriko ended on the highest of notes, wrapping up every single plot thread, and on an insane never ending power ramp.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Pop Step needs a long weapon, like a spear or something. Since she can fly, she can attack people from outside of their reach.

Regarding One Piece chat, I sort of objectively realize it's good but can't enjoy it. Something about the character designs and the personality of the protagonist bothers me. I intellectually know the character designs are really good, but just don't enjoy them, and Luffy has always felt sort of soulless to me, like some vessel for a bundle of shounen protagonist traits. Like, he's the sort of character that might suddenly murder a random innocent person and smile while doing it and saying it's part of the adventure.

what the gently caress

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

what the gently caress

While that's a bizarre thing to say, it is true that Goku and the shonen heroes who he inspired (like Luffy and Gon from Hunter X Hunter), are supposed to be a little bit inhuman, with strange, selfish ideologies that mostly keep them in line with traditional heroism, but can sometimes see them veer off in odd and disturbing directions. It's intentional, and there's always at least one arc that brings it to the forefront (Marineford, Chimera Ant, Cell) to show how messed-up these kids are underneath it all, but I can totally see why it might be offputting, and why more relatable ascended-everyman heroes like Deku might be more your jam.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Luffy is more a continuation of Goku while Gon is a deconstruction of that stereotype, really. Luffy's actions are more or less condoned by the narrative while Gon suffers massive karmic backlash.

Also thanks to the thread I got around to reading One Piece where I left off (about when they meet the Minks) and yeah, it's much better than before.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

NecroMonster posted:

what the gently caress

he has wonky morals sometimes. The whole usopp thing was kinda out of nowhere for example

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why are people saying that strongman-looking guy is a reference to Luffy and not the absurdly obvious Tintin?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

why are people saying that strongman-looking guy is a reference to Luffy and not the absurdly obvious Tintin?

It's just a joke about those three upperclassmen being called "the big three"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's a Big Three joke

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TFRazorsaw posted:

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were some of the most popular manga/shows in the west back in the day, and came to be called the "Big Three" (but only in the west)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying, given MHA's inspirations, I think that the Trinity is the more intended reference in calling them that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm just saying, given MHA's inspirations, I think that the Trinity is the more intended reference in calling them that.

There is a little thing called context here. The other two characters are clearly inspired by Bleach and Naruto so the only inspiration that makes sense for the the lead guy is One Piece.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually your joke is, ahem, factually incorrect because they're clearly a reference DC comics, furthermore

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I can see it now.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

what

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

what the gently caress

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I honestly don't get that vibe from Luffy at all. Even when he gets really intense the only person at serious risk is himself, just like Deku. The Ussop thing was an issue pushed by Zoro.

Now there's a guy who would murder in cold blood given half a chance.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Begemot posted:

I honestly don't get that vibe from Luffy at all. Even when he gets really intense the only person at serious risk is himself, just like Deku. The Ussop thing was an issue pushed by Zoro.

Now there's a guy who would murder in cold blood given half a chance.

Zoro was right, though. That was the only way that could have played out. For both their sakes.

And I kind of get what Ytlaya is saying. Sort of. Pirates are bad guys. Killers and thieves. And Luffy quest is very selfish. The Strawhats actually only end up helping people, but that usually because they've befriended someone, and the way Luffy befriends people can be kind of meaningless. Like "bought me lunch."

If you don't trust Luffy and his impeccable judgement of character, then he could seem kind of scary.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

There is a little thing called context here. The other two characters are clearly inspired by Bleach and Naruto so the only inspiration that makes sense for the the lead guy is One Piece.

you know it's a photoshop, right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess that Gon in HxH is sort of similar to Luffy in the way I was talking about, though HxH actually makes Gon's weirdness into a plot point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Luffy really isn't that a great of a role-model.

He's likened to Roger, who apparently would destroy entire countries because they insulted his friends and crewmates.

Luffy's moral compass is generally in the right direction (he doesn't like seeing good people be picked on or exploited or harmed, tends to forgive easily AFTER he's crushed people, seems to sort of respect life in general) but it's all in a really self-centered way? Like REALLY self-centered?

Luffy's objection to anyone taking his crewmates away is that he knows he can't be Pirate King without them and that's his big goal and that's #2 after the requirement that whatever adventure he's on be "interesting" (he threatens to quit being a pirate if Releigh tells him what One Piece is and where it is or even if it exists). Like his friends being actualized people with feelings and desires is something he cares about...but that's like a bit down the list.

Luffy's not terribly empathetic either (I mean being TRULY empathetic)- he just fills up with righteous fury when he sees people he likes upset and will destroy absolutely anything that's causing it without a thought.

And Gon is basically that taken to the Nth degree because he has a killer's instinct.

-

Midoriya and All Might I like a lot more because their flaws are more human and they're both deeply empathetic, actually selfless people.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 15, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Terper posted:

One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach were some of the most popular manga/shows in the west back in the day, and came to be called the "Big Three" (but only in the west)

They were called the Big Three because they were consistently 1-2-3 in the WSJ Popularity Rankings.

I think the original Big Three were Dragonball Z, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, and Slam Dunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Vengarr posted:

They were called the Big Three because they were consistently 1-2-3 in the WSJ Popularity Rankings.

While it's true that they consistently ranked 1-3 in the Wall Street Journal's manga popularity rankings, if you went by the Times or WaPo rankings you'd realize that there was never more than a 2 month stretch where all 3 were in the top 3 at the same time!