Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Wittgen posted:

One Piece.
Bleach. Naruto.
My Hero Academia is better than all three.

Indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

This video explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

It's been a while since I've seen that video, but I remember the dude making a tooooon of assumptions based on hearsay so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo_Crimson posted:

This video explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACq7tgjHdGA

Ah, so it probably wasn't any single major, terrible event probably, just how the manga industry is and how much power editors have really getting to him. That makes sense. And is understandable, really; the manga industry is pretty awful. If I had to live like that and work on a thing I didn't care about anymore I probably wouldn't do great either. (Heck, I'd probably do a lot worse.) It just sounded like there was some weird story behind things.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shugojin posted:

Also Sasuke is just a combination of the worst aspects of Killua and Kurapika.

Except Kurapika's murderboner gave us the loving amazing Yorknew arc. Also Kurapika is a good character.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wittgen posted:

One Piece had a slow start, a truly stupendous arc, and then it's been all the same level of pretty decent.

Bleach was amazing, and then it was dumb and samey for the rest of its run.

Naruto is the one that went on a roller coaster. From good to great to mediocre to a multiyear death plunge where it actively got worse and worse without recourse.

My Hero Academia is better than all three.

MHA is still far, far too new to really be judged against the Big Three. I have hopes for it, sure, I just hope it either has a planned ending relatively soon or that it's ready to go the long haul, which a LOT of series aren't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel that saying One Piece peaks at Enies Lobby does a great disservice to the stretch from Sabaody to Marineford (I'm only excluding Thriller Bark because it was a fun episodic adventure, rather than searing-hot Peak One Piece). It was only with the timeskip that we hit a significant slump, with three weaker arcs in a row (Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, and Dressrossa), and it does at least look like things are picking up again.

I speak only of the manga, of course, because nobody should watch the One Piece anime.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I still feel like lumping Bleach in with Naruto and One Piece is insulting to the latter two because Bleach peaked at the first Opening of the anime.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

I still feel like lumping Bleach in with Naruto and One Piece is insulting to the latter two because Bleach peaked at the first Opening of the anime.

Lumping Naruto with One piece is insulting to OP too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel that saying One Piece peaks at Enies Lobby does a great disservice to the stretch from Sabaody to Marineford (I'm only excluding Thriller Bark because it was a fun episodic adventure, rather than searing-hot Peak One Piece). It was only with the timeskip that we hit a significant slump, with three weaker arcs in a row (Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, and Dressrossa), and it does at least look like things are picking up again.

I speak only of the manga, of course, because nobody should watch the One Piece anime.

Punk Hazard Part One was insanely good at least. Everything from the dragon to Smiley dying was pretty great.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except Kurapika's murderboner gave us the loving amazing Yorknew arc. Also Kurapika is a good character.

That's what I mean, Sasuke has all the revenge obsession with none of the payoff.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eej posted:

Chuunin Exam ends at chapter 115, Soul Society ended at like chapter 175.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Haha some pretty funny guys in here saying this manga is better than one piece.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've read almost the entirety of one piece and i'm up to date on this and i haven't bothered to read one piece in a while, take that as you may

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean i like one piece but i can't be arsed to catch up on the last year or so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

i mean i like one piece but i can't be arsed to catch up on the last year or so

Well you should since the current arc is really good

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

sharktamer posted:

It's true tho

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Someone might enjoy MHA more than OP but to say that a series that still hasn't passed the point where most shonen lose their way is better than OP is counting chickens before they are hatched. That One Piece is still good after so many years is a monumental achievement and completely dwarfs most series.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sharktamer posted:

Funny because we're right.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

sharktamer posted:

It's really good

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Never said it wasn't good but one piece is godly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fact that One Piece isn't abject trash after like two decades is really amazing.

I still basically dropped the series around halfway into Fishman Island though, only checking in on it off and on. Dressrosa was pretty dreadful outside of a couple moments.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Read the past ~year or so of OP. It is much improved and has come back to the light it strayed from in Dressrossa and FI arcs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, the Year of Sanji really delivered.

It's important to remember that MHA is only 2.5 years old--It's great now, but I don't think we can start fairly comparing to big mangas like One Piece until it's closer to ten.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea bleach was like 100 more chapters in when it went south and naruto was maybe 200. still pretty early days for mha. mha's had a strong start and it definitely does things better than either of them did at this point of the narrative, but what happened with those could absolutely still happen here

I don't expect that tho

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
A manga does not need to run for a decade before it can be compared to another manga. Longevity is not immunity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

What did the author say? What could he say?

He hasn't updated his twitter since, so this should have what I mean; https://twitter.com/tite_official

The pictures kinda convey the emotions he's having.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Crazyeyes posted:

Read the past ~year or so of OP. It is much improved and has come back to the light it strayed from in Dressrossa and FI arcs.

I think Dressrossa is where OP finally lost me cause it was just too many things happening in a short period of time and Oda/his staff getting sloppier and sloppier with action sequences getting super hard to parse and read aside from dropping hot peppers in people's mouths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

A manga does not need to run for a decade before it can be compared to another manga. Longevity is not immunity.

Well yeah, but the comparison is mostly happening because they've been running so long that it seems like it's stretching things out when they should probably wrap it up already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's confirmed that One Piece has been stretched out for years and years now, on the publisher's request. So it's even more incredible how it's still good, considering of the last 20 years of the manga, a good 10-15 of it has basically been filler.

I mean, I fell behind years ago, and only sometimes watch fights from the anime on youtube, but I admit that, objectively, in regards to keeping consistent quality, OP is kind of the godking of manga.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

MHA is barely past laying the groundwork. OP is in the process of setting the pieces into place for its climax. Arguing that one starts better makes sense. Comparing two incomplete works as a whole that are at completely different stages of their story is largely meaningless.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I look forward to 'em about the same amount every week. v:shobon:v

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like both mha and one piece.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Xarbala posted:

I like both mha and one piece.

unacceptable

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

where's the ring

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You really think anyone can compete with this:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question do any jump series have a main villain as outright creepy looking as Shigaraki.

Maybe Orochimaru?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Vigilantes chapter.

's good.

I love pop's everyday hair. So frizzy.
...I know dat feel :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

New Vigilantes chapter.

's good.

I love pop's everyday hair. So frizzy.
...I know dat feel :negative:

I'd be more than happy if Anime Wolverine and Cyclops became reoccurring characters