Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

CyberPingu posted:

Not catching balls thrown to your numbers is usually a worrying sign for a position that somewhat relies on you having to consistently catch those.

Yeah I feel like we can easily forgive some poor route running and stuff like that as young player problems
but catching the ball is kinda like, the thing being a WR is about, and he can't seem to do that, even when the ball is well thrown, no matter who threw it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Febreeze posted:

Yeah I feel like we can easily forgive some poor route running and stuff like that as young player problems
but catching the ball is kinda like, the thing being a WR is about, and he can't seem to do that, even when the ball is well thrown, no matter who threw it

Catching was not one of the physical metrics included in Chip Kelly player evaluations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

He had a 52% catch rate this year. That's not abysmal. Plenty of guys have rough starts and improve, including with catch rate. In his first 2 seasons, Plaxico Burress caught less than 48% of the passes thrown his way (88/185). Hell, over his whole career he only just barely caught more than half the passes thrown to him, even in his best seasons.

My point isn't that Agholor hasn't been bad, but that he could still end up being a good player, and that we'll probably know for certain next year.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

TheChirurgeon posted:

He had a 52% catch rate this year. That's not abysmal. Plenty of guys have rough starts and improve, including with catch rate. In his first 2 seasons, Plaxico Burress caught less than 48% of the passes thrown his way (88/185). Hell, over his whole career he only just barely caught more than half the passes thrown to him, even in his best seasons.

My point isn't that Agholor hasn't been bad, but that he could still end up being a good player, and that we'll probably know for certain next year.

Trade you for Dez Bryant?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The issue with Agholor isnt how many he isnt catching, its the type of passes he isnt catching. These are not jump balls or bad throws, they are direct throws to his hands that, and im going to sound like a giant douche here, if that is your primary job, you shouldnt be dropping those. Maybe you have the odd one that slips out, but its consistent....like every god drat game consistent

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

NotWearingPants posted:

Lost in the discussion of all the Reuban Randalls and Chris Givenses and Bryce Treggs, is the one player that Howie did release that would have been a clear upgrade over at least 2 of the Eagles starting wide receivers: Riley Cooper.

Eagles fans starting to understand at least 1 Chip decision.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheChirurgeon posted:

We'll know for certain next year, true. But we have a pretty good idea now of what he'll be like next year. It's not like he's talented, but raw. There weren't many flashes of potential this year and very little to suggest he might be good in the future. He didn't show great speed, he was a poor route-runner, he couldn't catch (especially in traffic), and he wasn't great with the ball in his hands either.

Now, at least some of that you can maybe chalk up to his alleged poor mental state. But having a poor mental state is a major red flag itself. He has to overcome a lot of adversity in order to succeed, if his head isn't on right there's 0 chance of that happening.

The only good thing from Agholors point of view is that he is definitely under contract for all of next season. All of this poo poo means absolutely nothing if he comes out and kills it in 2017.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He'll probably have another lackluster season and get released, then picked up by the Patriots or Steelers for cheap and he'll turn into a Pro Bowler

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welp. There goes our OC.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
i can't believe I lived to see the day a Redskins coordinator was good enough to poach

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How many NY, Washington, and Philly fans are rooting for the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I might cheer for the Cowboys if they are playing the Patriots, but that's literally it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

a new study bible! posted:

I might cheer for the Cowboys if they are playing the Patriots, but that's literally it.

What if it was against the Steelers?

If we don't make it, I wouldn't mind seeing Falcons/Chiefs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

If we don't make it, I wouldn't mind seeing Falcons/Chiefs

I'm honestly ok with either Green Bay or Atlanta if Dallas hilariously loses again from the NFC. On the AFC I'm just hoping for the chiefs because gently caress the steelers and pats amen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm honestly ok with either Green Bay or Atlanta if Dallas hilariously loses again from the NFC. On the AFC I'm just hoping for the chiefs because gently caress the steelers and pats amen.

yeah we'll see. We're a better team than the Packers, particularly today but if we don't win I suspect it will be entirely on Prescott. There's a reason that no rookie QB has ever made the Super Bowl and the reason is that rookies tend to poo poo the bed in the playoffs.

e: Also there is no reason for anyone outside of Pittsburgh to root for them to win a seventh title

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

TheChirurgeon posted:

Myself and most people I know in the Philly area are pretty ambivalent at worst towards the Steelers. They don't hate them like they hate the Cowboys.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah we'll see. We're a better team than the Packers, particularly today but if we don't win I suspect it will be entirely on Prescott. There's a reason that no rookie QB has ever made the Super Bowl and the reason is that rookies tend to poo poo the bed in the playoffs.

Luckily this rookie QB is better than all previous rookie QBs.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spacebump posted:

Luckily this rookie QB is better than all previous rookie QBs.

Better at having an MVP running back, a pro bowl receiver, and three pro bowl offensive linemen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Better at having an MVP running back, a pro bowl receiver, and three pro bowl offensive linemen.

Rooting for a team that knows how to draft well owns.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Look at this butt salt

If merely having a great offensive line were enough, the Raiders would still be in the playoffs

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So imagine that Dak comes out an struggles in the opening half. Say the Cowboys are down by 10 and Dak has a turnover.

Does Romo start in the third?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Look at this butt salt

If merely having a great offensive line were enough, the Raiders would still be in the playoffs

Oakland's line is not as good as Dallas'

Also Oakland's pro bowl center was out hurt during that game.

Also they don't have an MVP running back.

Also their star receiver is in his second year.

Also, somehow, their backup QB is worse than Mark Sanchez.

IDK if that's quite the same.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So imagine that Dak comes out an struggles in the opening half. Say the Cowboys are down by 10 and Dak has a turnover.

Shouldn't be a problem for Dak "5 4th quarter comebacks" Prescott.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Oakland's line is not as good as Dallas'

Also Oakland's pro bowl center was out hurt during that game.

Also they don't have an MVP running back.

Also their star receiver is in his second year.

Also, somehow, their backup QB is worse than Mark Sanchez.

IDK if that's quite the same.

You don't believe that Zeke should be MVP and he won't win it, so why even say that?

Oakland's offensive line is as good or better than Dallas', particularly in pass blocking (Dallas may be better at run-blocking). They had Penn in week 17 and McGloin starting instead of Cook and they still weren't able to beat the Broncos to win their division and secure a bye. The offensive line wasn't good enough to elevate a mediocre quarterback then, either.

Re: Receivers, it has never mattered what year a star receiver is in if they are performing at a high level. "This guy is really good, but I guess not really since it's only his second year!"

But also they went 12-2 before week 16

Also their offensive line had a much lower sack rate than Dallas' over the season--Oakland was #1 with 3.4%, vs 5.6% for Dallas

Also they played against a team being led by Brock Osweiler in the playoffs and still lost

No, but he probably should. Nothing except injury will keep Prescott from playing the full game

VVVV yeah, I didn't read the full thing. Dak would need like 3+ turnovers and just a garbage game to even start that discussion and even then I'm not sure there's a change, or that if they do make a switch, it happens before the game is hopeless

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 15, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Of course not. One turnover? The only way Romo comes out is if there is a total meltdown, and even then it's not 100% assured that Garret would pull Dak

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Spacebump posted:

Rooting for a team that knows how to draft well owns.

all teams should try the tried and true strategy of get lucky with every one of your OL picks

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

You don't believe that Zeke should be MVP and he won't win it, so why even say that?

Oakland's offensive line is as good or better than Dallas', particularly in pass blocking (Dallas may be better at run-blocking). They had Penn in week 17 and McGloin starting instead of Cook and they still weren't able to beat the Broncos to win their division and secure a bye. The offensive line wasn't good enough to elevate a mediocre quarterback then, either.

Re: Receivers, it has never mattered what year a star receiver is in if they are performing at a high level. "This guy is really good, but I guess not really since it's only his second year!"

But also they went 12-2 before week 16

Also their offensive line had a much lower sack rate than Dallas' over the season--Oakland was #1 with 3.4%, vs 5.6% for Dallas

Also they played against a team being led by Brock Osweiler in the playoffs and still lost

No, but he probably should. Nothing except injury will keep Prescott from playing the full game

VVVV yeah, I didn't read the full thing. Dak would need like 3+ turnovers and just a garbage game to even start that discussion and even then I'm not sure there's a change, or that if they do make a switch, it happens before the game is hopeless

TBH I don't really get why you brought the Raiders into the discussion. Dak is way better than McGloin or Cook. Zeke is better than Murray.

Obviously having a great offensive line isn't enough to win. I never said that it was. Fortunately Dallas has an MVP caliber running back and good to great talent in every level of the offense.

While it's true that Dak has had a historically great rookie season, its also not hard to see how the Dallas offense, as it exists around the QB position, could elevate a good QB to that status.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TBH I don't really get why you brought the Raiders into the discussion. Dak is way better than McGloin or Cook. Zeke is better than Murray.

Obviously having a great offensive line isn't enough to win. I never said that it was. Fortunately Dallas has an MVP caliber running back and good to great talent in every level of the offense.

While it's true that Dak has had a historically great rookie season, its also not hard to see how the Dallas offense, as it exists around the QB position, could elevate a good QB to that status.

This has elements of truth. But bearing in mind the same OLine with 3 different QBs won 4(?) games last year. As much as it pains me, Dak is really good at being a safe QB who understands what he needs to do

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Saying dak is overrated at this point is just sour grapes.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

CyberPingu posted:

This has elements of truth. But bearing in mind the same OLine with 3 different QBs won 4(?) games last year. As much as it pains me, Dak is really good at being a safe QB who understands what he needs to do

But again, that's ignoring the importance of Zeke. Zeke averaging 6 yards per carry probably has more to do with Dallas' success than anything a QB can do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sickening posted:

Saying dak is overrated at this point is just sour grapes.

Nah it's true but that is more on the nature of fans rather than Dak being bad or whatever.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

For the record, I only think that Dak is overrated when people conflate the numerical greatness of his season stats with his current talent.

Dak owes a huge debt to Zeke, and to front like he's the greatest rookie QB of all time because of his numbers is just silly.

Dallas is a great offense because of Dak and Zeke and I hope they get slaughtered today.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don't think it's unfair to Dak to acknowledge that he has the best surrounding cast of any rookie QB starter ever.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

But again, that's ignoring the importance of Zeke. Zeke averaging 6 yards per carry probably has more to do with Dallas' success than anything a QB can do.

Not really...the Vikings went through a string of bad QBs with Peterson behind them. Like I said before. Dak might not be the best QB (yet). But he knows how to be safe which is better than like 40% of the starters in the NFL I'd say

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I miss the days of people calling the Cowboys dumb for taking a running back with the 4th pick.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

CyberPingu posted:

Not really...the Vikings went through a string of bad QBs with Peterson behind them. Like I said before. Dak might not be the best QB (yet). But he knows how to be safe which is better than like 40% of the starters in the NFL I'd say

Nobody is saying that Joe Webb is as good as Dak.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Joe Webb is as good as Dak.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Joe Webb is certainly faster than Dak

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I might cheer for the Cowboys if they were playing the Yankees in a battle royal wherein the loser is erased from sports, but that's literally it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The NFC East are frauds.

• Locked thread